Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,213 members, 7,825,800 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

The Ijebu Vs Jebusite - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Ijebu Vs Jebusite (8205 Views)

The Ijebu, The Yoruba And Their Influence On The Bible And Judaism / Fact About The Ijebu-ode / Igbo-ona, Ijebu-igbo, Igbomina: Are Yoruba's Historically Tied To Igbo's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 6:22pm On Nov 30, 2020
tollyboy5:

I won't agree totally with you. They might be varient but there's always some similarities. The farther they are from ijebu ode the varient their diaper become.
Epe and ijebu ode understand themselves well. Agoiwoyi , and remo with ikorodu might have little distinct
Why did you write exactly what I wrote but yet think you only partially agree with me?

My Reply:
“The Ijebu sub-dialects just like every dialect/sub-dialect in the world are almost similar but also differentiated.”

Your Words which I replied:
Our clan is to large and we all speak one ijebu dialect

So, thanks for confirming my correction to your statement.

Also, proximity to each other is not necessarily the determinant. I gave you and exampl of Ishara and Ishagamu — both Ijebu-Remoland!

3 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Nobody: 6:24pm On Nov 30, 2020
TAO11:
Okay, I won’t be mad then if you get this wrong.

Can you translate the following into Ijebu to the best of your knowledge. You can try translating in multiple ways though. It doesn’t have to be one way — but provided each is your best Ijebu attempt

“OYo is the King”

But again, it would be understandable if you’re not accurate since you admitted to not being fluent.
Oyo r'oba.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Nobody: 6:25pm On Nov 30, 2020
TAO11:
Why did you write exactly what I wrote but yet think you only partially agree with me?

My Reply:

Your Words which I replied:
Leave that one o jare.
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 6:25pm On Nov 30, 2020
JohnSin97:

Thunder fire you there and your stupid lie. Omo igbo radarada
If you're not ijebu . God will punish you 1diot if you mention me again angry
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 6:30pm On Nov 30, 2020
gomojam:
Oyo r'oba.
Yay! You got it perfectly right. Why did you think you’re not fluent.

I was educating an ignorant Benin some months ago on how the Ijebu dialect has retained some of the now lost words in ancient Yoruba language.

And how the English word “is” (present Yoruba: “ni” ) have changed over time from “li” (as may be seen is S. Crowther’s 1800s Yoruba Bible) to the present-day’s “ni”.

I also explained that this evolution is an indication of the fact the 1800s’ “li” itself must have evolved in prior centuries from a more archaic form.

And as the Ijebu dialect which has retained many archaic and now-lost Yoruba words shows, “ri” is the more archaic form from which “li” itself must have evolved.

Essentially, I was educating the ignorant Bini on the etymology of the word “Yoruba” from “Oyo is the king” — an apparently self-styled epithet of the Oyo Empire because of its imperial dominance.

”Oyo is the king“ — “Oyo r’Oba” — “Yoruba”.

Although, there are other etymological explanations (such as the one S. Crowther recorded in the 1800s among the Egbas); I am particularly more convinced of this etymology considering how well aligned it is with the imperial status of Oyo who are also interestingly the original exclusive referent of the name “Yoruba”.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 6:31pm On Nov 30, 2020
tollyboy5:

Nobody allocated land to the ijebus. It was expansion of territory. My ancestor came to oko epe for hunting after Ogunmodede came in the first place to settle down.
Different wave of migration also happened after then from ijebu ode. I think aworis has gotten to Lagos island all this time.
My ancestors from 26ths awujala also came with slaves and his brothers to form lesser kingdoms around Epe.
Land on Lagos island!

2 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 30, 2020
TAO11:
Yay! You got it. Why did you think you’re not fluent.

I was educating an ignorant Benin some months ago on how the Ijebu dialect has retained some of the last words in ancient Yoruba language.

And how the English wor “is” (present Yoruba: “ni” ) have changed over time from “li” to “ni”, and that even prior to “li” it would have been “ri” has the Ijebu dialect has retained and now shows.

In other words, I was basically discussing the etymology of the word “Yoruba”.

From the imperial status of the ancient Oyo — Oyo is the kingt — Oyo r’Oba — Yoruba.
I wasn't born there but I have always listened to my parents discussing in Ijebu, so my glimpse of the dialect.

Yeah, your right.
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 6:39pm On Nov 30, 2020
TAO11:
Bro. Ijebus are Yorubas. My ancestors are Ijebus and Aworis. Do not misinform people. Ask questions if you’re not very clear. Peace!
Yoruba is just a political name giving to us by the northerners. We are all Yoruba's but I'm trying to explain that , just like the way egun of badagry has different ancestral history the ijebus also has a different ancestral history from oduduwa.
Even though that doesn't make us not Yorubas but we should always tell the truth.
My aunt once told me years back that when she heard the itshekiri people spoke she thought they were ijebus.
I've met with an itshekiri girl many years back and she had Yoruba name and insisted that she is not Yoruba. She told me her dialet is different from Yoruba. I don't even know then that its similar to ijebus.
And the itshekiris has inhabit warri before the Ijaw people came. So its not a coincidence that the ijebu and the itshekiri might have similar ancestors. Then the oduduwa lineage would have been close to the ijebu lineage from where they migrated from.
As far as I'm concern we are yorubas but not oduduwa decent .
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Nobody: 6:40pm On Nov 30, 2020
TAO11:
Land on Lagos island!
He doesn't know his priority now is to grab a book.
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 6:55pm On Nov 30, 2020
gomojam:
He doesn't know his priority now is to grab a book.
I dont read to protect statue quo. I read to understand and know actual truth. Any words that seems not to favor oduduwa lineage of Yoruba people is seen as rubbish. undecided
Is that what you're proving also? How come tao11 refer to ijebus has preserving the the old Yoruba dialect even when we know ijebu dialect is a varient from the popularly know yoruba dialect. Recent research shows the itshekiri to speak a more ancient ijebu than we even do.

Oyo should be the ones people should study to know the Yoruba original dialect or better still ife people not ijebu undecided

I even wonder if you've read actually and did some research. I've heard stories and also read. Stories from royal family not anyhow story.
Eweso Dede omoalaro
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 8:02pm On Nov 30, 2020
tollyboy5:

Yoruba is just a political name giving to us by the northerners. We are all Yoruba's but I'm trying to explain that , just like the way egun of badagry has different ancestral history the ijebus also has a different ancestral history from oduduwa.
Even though that doesn't make us not Yorubas but we should always tell the truth.
My aunt once told me years back that when she heard the itshekiri people spoke she thought they were ijebus.
I've met with an itshekiri girl many years back and she had Yoruba name and insisted that she is not Yoruba. She told me her dialet is different from Yoruba. I don't even know then that its similar to ijebus.
And the itshekiris has inhabit warri before the Ijaw people came. So its not a coincidence that the ijebu and the itshekiri might have similar ancestors. Then the oduduwa lineage would have been close to the ijebu lineage from where they migrated from.
As far as I'm concern we are yorubas but not oduduwa decent .
No Northerner named my ancestors, but if you think Northerners named yours, then who am I to object?

5 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 8:04pm On Nov 30, 2020
tollyboy5:

I dont read to protect statue quo. I read to understand and know actual truth. Any words that seems not to favor oduduwa lineage of Yoruba people is seen as rubbish. undecided
Is that what you're proving also? How come tao11 refer to ijebus has preserving the the old Yoruba dialect even when we know ijebu dialect is a varient from the popularly know yoruba dialect. Recent research shows the itshekiri to speak a more ancient ijebu than we even do.

Oyo should be the ones people should study to know the Yoruba original dialect or better still ife people not ijebu undecided

I even wonder if you've read actually and did some research. I've heard stories and also read. Stories from royal family not anyhow story.
Eweso Dede omoalaro
Someone has already pointed out whom you are. So no need talking much to you. Have fun trolling.

Refer to my comment at the link below for details on the Itsekiri people:

https://www.nairaland.com/6234931/why-ikwerres-not-igbo-logic/2#96233335

cc: gomojam

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 8:09pm On Nov 30, 2020
TAO11:
No Northerner named my ancestors, but if you think Northerners named yours, then who am I to object?
No matter the variant history I've heard about how the word Yoruba came to be. Even the Yoruba's are not yet consistent with the actual fact. The term Yoruba became general name during the colonial times.
And it doesnt change the fact that ijebus are not from oduduwa/ile ife.

I only search for truth. Aworis are the ones who has ife link. Egun of badagry are Yoruba's also. They see theirself as one with the egun at Benin republic. So as the way ijebu see themselves as one ijebu in Lagos and Ogun state
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 8:18pm On Nov 30, 2020
tollyboy5:

No matter the variant history I've heard about how the word Yoruba came to be. Even the Yoruba's are not yet consistent with the actual fact. The term Yoruba became general name during the colonial times.
And it doesnt change the fact that ijebus are not from oduduwa/ile ife.

I only search for truth. Aworis are the ones who has ife link. Egun of badagry are Yoruba's also. They see theirself as one with the egun at Benin republic. So as the way ijebu see themselves as one ijebu in Lagos and Ogun state
Imagine the following statements

Egba people are originally Chinese.

Oduduwa was the first person to fry dodo.

Obatala is from old-England originally.

Does the mere fact that I typed these statements make them true?

In respect to all your statements, this analogy should help you to realize the difference between making a claim and proving the claim with evidence.

Two different things.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 30, 2020
TAO11:
Someone has already pointed out whom you are. So no need talking much to you. Have fun trolling.

Refer to my comment at this link for details on the Itsekiri people.

grin grin grin Have you now seen what we've been pointing out? The impostor is trying to sow a seed of discord among us. I have always wondered why they like choosing Ijebu for such agenda. What's your opinion.

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 8:29pm On Nov 30, 2020
TAO11:

Lol this is why true ijebu will always be ijebu. I've seen the very difference from us and the rest of the Yoruba race. Our achievement and way of life.

I don't need you to tell me more about myself. You may be vast in what you know but you can't tell me who I am.
I know your type of people. You won't hesitate to bend history if it don't favor you.
I just said some serious issues and you're here talking joke.
Its just like the way some yeye people call me ipob because of I don't support tinubu. These set of people are delusional thinking they're are fighting for the Yoruba cause.
In real life many ijebu will be quick to let you know that their ijebus.
Immediately people will start tagging them ijebu man. Its common for Yorubas to tagged ijebus with negative stuff.
I use to avoid making myself known as ijebu in the past and prefer someone calling me omo-epe
Not until I noticed we've been the most influential Yoruba ethnic group in present day Nigeria.
Many ijebus only know their history as yorubas thanks to the awujale and other ijebus that decide to dig deep to know our history. I will let you and your remaining historian that decide to turn blind eye to facts continue with your agenda.
If you like call me whatever you like.
That doesn't change the fact that I'm from awujale lineage.
You people should be compiling history and add little lies to it . we will do our own research and publish our own findings.
Ijebu history is already in the internet for you to see.
I remember my sister told me they thought her in lasu in history and international relation dept that epe people were descendant of aworis.
Since then I knew historians can't know more than the natives in actual sense.

My family history is told by word but more accurate than what some historians might want to compile.
End of thread! angry
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 8:36pm On Nov 30, 2020
TAO11:

In respect to all your statements, this analogy should help you to realize the difference between making a claim and proving the claim with evidence.

Two different things.

Cheers!
You're the one who is not being factual. You might be right about the Yoruba origination.
I'm talking about a broader part of history.
We never fell from the sky and the the western Africans are migrant from the east afrika.
Ijebus are from the nile of of Egypt.
And trying to do research on the the biblical Canaanite who's son was jebus.
And the the bible tagged them jebusite.
We all knew the sons of ham were the ancestor of many Africans.
I'm just trying to establish fact and you're here pursuing the "Yoruba" agenda.
I'm not saying I'm not Yoruba but let do our research in peace

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 8:55pm On Nov 30, 2020
gomojam:
grin grin grin Have you now seen what we've been pointing out? The impostor is trying to sow a seed of discord among us. I have always wondered why they like choosing Ijebu for such agenda. What's your opinion.
http://www.limelitehotels.com/ijebu-origin-and-history-20-amazing-facts-about-the-ijebus/

We've seen different effort to tell the true meaning of the word "ijebu" but it might be that the word is far older than what historians are trying to say.
If stronger evidence revealed the ijebus are from wadai in Sudan. Then let the enlighten ijebus do their research.
You can't sit down in your parlor and downplay what intellectual ijebus are trying to do.
We all know how the white change history and disconnected Africans from having connection with Egypt.
Despite the fact that many believe Noah was the ancestor of modern men.
A beg we are doing more larger findings. Not the Yoruba vs igbo bashing you're used to.
Someone screenshoted my post of not supporting derogatory statement on Igbo's and he was quick to tagged me Igbo.
Its a shame that some yorubas think every thing is about tribal bashing.
I might be very tribal about defending the ijebu race but I try best to avoid saying negative word to other tribe

2 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 9:08pm On Nov 30, 2020
tollyboy5:

You're the one who is not being factual. You might be right about the Yoruba origination.
I'm talking about a broader part of history.
We never fell from the sky and the the western Africans are migrant from the east afrika.
Ijebus are from the nile of of Egypt.
And trying to do research on the the biblical Canaanite who's son was jebus.
And the the bible tagged them jebusite.
We all knew the sons of ham were the ancestor of many Africans.
I'm just trying to establish fact and you're here pursuing the "Yoruba" agenda.
I'm not saying I'm not Yoruba but let do our research in peace
Nobody said Yorubas fell from the sky. That’s not Yoruba history. That’s Yoruba mythology. (You May be hearing the word fro the gist time)

Every culture of the world have their mythology side-by -side their history.

Your comments shows you’re ignorant of too many basic things — that it would take me several free hours to rid you of ignorance.

But I don’t have such time to divert into a project that will most likely end up failing.

As you may have realized, I an you have very little in common.

Ask me questions instead of pretending to want to match me. I may entertain your questions.

3 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 9:13pm On Nov 30, 2020
TAO11:

Two different things.

Cheers!

http://www.limelitehotels.com/ijebu-origin-and-history-20-amazing-facts-about-the-ijebus/

Since you claim to know more about history. Go do your proper findings. Ijebu origin is not yet established.

I gave real life evidence that itshekiri speak similar ijebu language. You mean its not actual fact shocked
Have even moved with itshekiri people to know what I'm saying.
The reason ijebu people need to be taking serious is because we've seen more evidence that we migrated from Sudan.

I'm trying to establish connection with the middle east. The ancient Egyptians were people of color so as the earliest Israel.
Jebusite descendant of jebus were the inhabitant Jerusalem and the city names was jebus.
Now after the conquest of Israel by the roman empire it only make more sense for more people to migrate down deep to Africa.
History is distorted and whites claimed the Israelite ran to Europe. The jebus who lived with the jews knew their ancestors were conquered. And still maintain their identity despite the city name change to Jerusalem.
Till now the ijebu people see themselves as ijebu despite being Yoruba.
Do you think it happened by mistake. We refer ourself as omo-ijebu pronounced as "omo-jebu"
I'm not after the normal Igbo vs Yoruba rubbish I'm trying as much to establish a more larger fact.
Instead of people to use the advantage to do more search on Yoruba origin they're forcing us to accept the oduduwa story undecided
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 9:19pm On Nov 30, 2020
TAO11:
Nobody said Yorubas fell from the sky. That’s not Yoruba history. That’s Yoruba mythology. (You May be hearing the word fro the gist time)

Every culture of the world have their mythology side-by -side their history.

Your comments shows you’re ignorant of too many basic things — that it would take me several free hours to rid you of ignorance.

But I don’t have such time to divert into a project that will most likely end up failing.

As you may have realized, I an you have very little in common.

Ask me questions instead of pretending to want to match me. I may entertain your questions.
See this mama o! grin I've followed you already but I won't choose to believe you if you tell me the ijebus came from oduduwa.
If you have any past thread on that I'm glad if you'll share it with me let consider also.
You're a woman with vast knowledge. You're one of a kind.
Your argument are reasonable with fact and you'll taught me something already. But I won't accept the oduduwa myth.
Thanks for your time. grin God bless you.
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 9:24pm On Nov 30, 2020
tollyboy5:

Since you claim to know more about history. Go do your proper findings. Ijebu origin is not yet established.

I gave real life evidence that itshekiri speak similar ijebu language. You mean its not actual fact shocked
Have even moved with itshekiri people to know what I'm saying.
The reason ijebu people need to taking serious is because we've seen more evidence that we migrated from Sudan.

I'm trying to establish connection with the middle east. The ancient Egyptians were people of color so as the earliest Israel.
Jebusite descendant of jebus are inhabited Jerusalem and the city names was jebus.
Now after the conquest of Israel by the roman empire it only make more sense for more people to migrate down deep to Africa.
History is distorted and whites claimed the Israelite ran to Europe. The jebus who lived with the jews knew their ancestors were conquered. And still maintain their identity despite the city name change to Jerusalem.
Till now the ijebu people see themselves as ijebu despite being Yoruba.
Do you think it happened by mistake. We refer ourself as omo-ijebu pronounced as "omo-jebu"
I'm not after the normal Igbo vs Yoruba rubbish I'm trying as much to establish a more larger fact.
Instead of people to use the advantage to do more search on Yoruba origin they're forcing us to accept the oduduwa story undecided
Oga carry your self to one corner. You’re repeating blog posts of a hotel and you call that research.

And who said Itsekiri dialect is not similar to Ijebu’s dialect? — you probably seem to have just stumbled upon that information.

No wonder it intoxicates you even though no one was discussing that.

See, like I have said — you have heaped a lot of ignorance that will take me hundreds of hours to break down for you. And provided you know you’re ignorant.

The worst ignorance is being ignorant and also ignorant that you’re ignorant. That’s what I see here.

You keep directing me to make research, how many peer-reviewed article of the Journal of Historical Society of Nigeria do you have?? Lol.

Ijebus are not Sudanese. My spouse is a Sudanese and all those recent Ijebu claims of Sudanese are bull-crap.

The tradition of the Ijebus as they came from Ife was documented in 1919 by the indigenous D.O. Epega.

What about the speech of a certain Ijebu man in (refutation of Obadiah Johnson’s submission) in 1901 acknowledging Ife as home?

Or what about the admission of the then Seriki of Ijebu to Henry Higgins’ team in the 1800s that Ife is the home? And many more.

See, I am not sure where to begin educating you from. I am Ijebu, and I doubt you are.

And if you think you are, I will ask you to translate just one Ijebu word right here and you will be exposed.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Etinosa1234: 9:28pm On Nov 30, 2020
So Tao11 don marry sef

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 9:30pm On Nov 30, 2020
TAO11:
Oga carry your self to one corner. You’re repeating blog posts that I came across over a decade ago and you call that research. And who said Itsekiri dialect is not similar to Ijebu — you probably seem to have just stumbled upon that information. No wonder it intoxicates you even though no one was discussing that.

See, like I have said — you have heaped a lot of ignorance that it will take me hundreds of hours to break down for you. And provided you know you’re ignorant.

The worst ignorance is being ignorant and also ignorant that you’re ignorant. That’s what I see here.

You keep directing me to make research, how many peer reviewed arrival of the Journal of Historical Society of Nigeria do you have?? Lol.

Ijebus are not Sudanese. My spouse is a Sudanese and all those recent Ijebu claims of Sudanese is bull-crap.

The tradition of the Ijebu as they came from Ife was revorder in 1919 by the indigenous D.O. Epega. What about the speech of a certain Ijebu man in refutation of Obadiah Johnson submission in 1901. Or what about the admission of the then Seriki of Ijebu to the Hindereer’s team in the 1800s that Ife is the home? And many more.

I see I am not sure what to begin educating you from. I am Ijebu, and I doubt you are.

And if you think you are I will I will ask you to translate just one Ijebu word right here and you will be exposed.
:p I'll take my time to do more research. But don't force your idea on all ijebus.
If you you have any recommend book for me to read I'll do that when I'm free.
Shalom
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 9:42pm On Nov 30, 2020
Etinosa1234:
So Tao11 don marry sef
Olosho! grin you dey expect all this knowledge from babe? undecided
I know sey mama de mama she be. Na ijebu blood go dey flow 4 her body.

But I no go accept her ife claim of ijebu people.
As a scientist who has interest in history I will try as much to do more archaeological search in future.
History is too deep for only historians to compile with no scientific investigation or DNA test. No carbon dating.

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Olu317(m): 9:43pm On Nov 30, 2020

Precolonial map of west africa
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=193134;0
You want to get rid of the myths: then first start telling yourself the truth concerning Benin and Lagos.
For your info, Lagos was a part of Benin Kingdom, like many nigerians you confuse Benin Kingdom with its capital Benin city.
I totally join you in throwing away myths, but are you really ready for the truth ? Well your answer to this comment will inform me.
Informtion without credible source
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 9:43pm On Nov 30, 2020
tollyboy5:

:p I'll take my time to do more research. But don't force your idea on all ijebus.
If you you have any recommend book for me to read I'll do that when I'm free.
Shalom
History is not a novel that it would be one man’s idea. Fiction and sweet feel-good stories are different from pure academic research. — I am discussing academic historical research, and not adugbo stories.

The most comprehensive and most authoritative book as at present-day on the history of Yorubas is the work of Professor Stephen Adenanji Akintoye entitled “A History of the Yoruba People”.

This work has the advantage of (1)being written by a historian; (2)taking four decades of historiography research and analyses to present an authoritative volume since Johnson’s pioneer* work.

You may also get the work of S. Johnson “The History of the Yorubas” — but the down-side of this work is that it is too Oyo-focused at the expense of the history of the other sub-groups.

Also, it has the dis-advantage of not been written by a trained historian who sometimes doesn’t investigate the traditions but just collects them — or sometimes give a wrong amateurish interpretation as it is to be expected.

But in OYo history it is very rich. However, if you must get one. Then get S. Adebanji Akintoye’s work which is more authoritative and more comprehensive work.

——————
*By “pioneer”, I do not mean that Johnson was the first Yoruba man pen down some details of Yoruba history.

S. Ajayi Crowther and Sir Moses Lijadu have done some of that before him (apart from foreign works). But his work is the first huge indigenous volume.

Also, here is a sneak peek into Professor Akintoye’s work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kstFqyF234&t=188s

In fact, a movie production is currently on-going in the U.S. (by some African America group) which will be based on the information from this authoritative volume.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Etinosa1234: 9:47pm On Nov 30, 2020
tollyboy5:

Olosho! grin you dey expect all this knowledge from babe? undecided
I know sey mama de mama she be. Na ijebu blood go dey flow 4 her body.

But I no go accept her ife claim of ijebu people.
As a scientist who has interest in history I will try as much to do more archaeological search in future.
History is too deep for only historians to compile with no scientific investigation or DNA test. No carbon dating.
Leave me guy

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 11:21pm On Nov 30, 2020
JohnSin97:
The general public should note that tollyboy5 is a ret@rded imposter from Igbo land claiming to be ijebu, ignore the brainlet and his stupid agenda.

gregyboy is another stupid ret@rded impostor claiming to be edo but peddling stupid falsehood around... the bastard is Igbo, an Ipob specie to be precise.

It's pathetic that Igbos out of desperation and inferiority complex have decided to go around peddling falsehood about the Yoruba culture all while their culture gradually goes into extinction... totally pathetic and disgraceful
Kindly avoid their stupidity.

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 11:23pm On Nov 30, 2020
tollyboy5:

Just because Benin conquered a small ancient Lagos you want to change history with picture grin
You must be joking cheesy

Explain to me how does a conquered settlement mean no one was there?
By the way it was a tiny portion of the the present Lagos that was under the Benin kingdom. The dahomy and ijebu don't have anything to do with Benin and they're part of the present day Lagos state so what are you trying to prove?

Is it because our ijebu war lords decided not to interfere in the Benin business thats why we did not conquered the ancient Lagos.
Our clan is to large and we all speak one ijebu dialect so we're powerful self sufficient enough. Go ask your grand parents

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 11:29pm On Nov 30, 2020
To comment on the foregoing so-called Ijebu account for the sake of the unsuspecting public whom all these fraudulent Bini agents target to prey on:

This account is evidently unsubstantiated and unfounded in the traditions of those Ijebu-Ode people themselves as is seen in the embedded images below where they say something else about themselves. cheesy .

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12769742_0c28f061c512422ea9c24f5dda963e04_jpeg_jpegf5bd0f14d2b6fd2133b8ad035afe338e www.nairaland.com/attachments/12769743_f83ca8bdf422469e9599add79f1fff5c_jpeg_jpeg574b635a6e6ef959413f91a636969955

The desperation and pain of these Benin fraud agents therefore becomes even more palpably perceptible and evidently laughable. grin

First of all, it is a grand demonstration of ignorance to describe S. Johnson as a “historian”. cheesy All of his education and professional training were specifically in the line of becoming a pastor.

Pastor Johnson, at the later stages in his life, however decided to begin collecting traditional accounts, etc. all around the Yoruba country from diverse Yoruba subgroups.

This specific account which talks about the Ijebu-Ode people was obviously not collected from the Ijebu-Ode people themselves, nor did he collect it from the Binis. grin

From the text and context of this account as Pastor Johnson has documented it here, this account thus appears clearly to have come from the Owu people.

This background information on the origin of this account thus casts light on why this specific account makes these claims.

A consideration of the details of the Owu War tells of how the home-kingdom of the Owu people (Owu-Ipole) was sacked and grounded (never to be rebuilt till date) by a combined army of Ife and Ijebu-Ode. ~ See S. Johnson (completed 1897), Chapter VIII, page 210 as embedded below for reference:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12731839_3fdb648be34e4905ace5099cb0239288_jpeg_jpeg840e1ac522dcb78406387729650443a9

In fact, some 50 odd years before S. Johnson’s work, an 1845 French publication specifically makes mention of how the King of Owu himself was taken captive in this war by the Ijebu-Ode army. ~ See page 37 of D'Avezac’s “Notice Sur Le Pays Et Le Peuple Des Yébous En Afrique” as embedded below for reference:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12731843_c171042ab63b4c0aa3f4fa10142632bd_jpeg_jpeg8459c5305c3df1887919bd51bf5a1210
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12731840_ae85bcaef9dd445ca85d72e09966f0c7_jpeg_jpeg38f9b234c7d52aa93a4ec1e3aba0d27e

In the light of this understanding, it thus becomes evidently clear that the account under discussion (about the Ijebu-Ode people) is simply a mere swipe by the Owus on their conqueror, ‘oppressor’, and archenemy. wink

Peace!

15 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 11:31pm On Nov 30, 2020
For more context following the foregoing, refer below:

https://www.nairaland.com/6234931/why-ikwerres-not-igbo-logic/10#96374887

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

What Is Eyo Festival All About? / Baba Adebayo Faleti Is Dead / Nigeria's Queen Of Sheba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.