Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:52 AM

The Ijebu Vs Jebusite - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Ijebu Vs Jebusite (7999 Views)

The Ijebu, The Yoruba And Their Influence On The Bible And Judaism / Fact About The Ijebu-ode / Igbo-ona, Ijebu-igbo, Igbomina: Are Yoruba's Historically Tied To Igbo's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 3:20pm On Nov 29, 2020
Up to this extent I've not seen any closer people that could be related to the biblical jebusite.
Its only the ijebus that has the best connection.

Ive always knew we're a bit different from other yorubas. But I see myself as ijebu first before Yoruba man.

I think we should issue warning letter to the occupant of Jerusalem that the city name should be turned back to ijebu. They don't have to call us jubusite , ijebu or jebu or jebus is okay with us cheesy
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 4:17pm On Nov 29, 2020
The title oba entered the yoruba lexicon through benin ventures into Eastern yoruba during its expansion, and soon diffused into all yorubas

There is a parable in owo, that says, just as the oba n' idu commands respect on earth olodumare commands respect in heaven
Despite interaction with eastern Yoruba they made a sizable contact with vast yoruba tribe too

Benins supplied the atilaries used in the yoruba civil war of late 1800

If we are to mention benin influence on vast yoruba land it will too numerous to mention

The yorubas always have the claim oromiyan came to establish the obaship stool on benin but when taken a deeper look into this history shows that it was a political staged myth of late 1800 after the benin invasion by the British, oba eweka11 sought monarchial help from the then ooni to help strengthening the political power of the edo people who was emerging from a devastating war that burnt down the city capital
You know the rest
The benin monarch accepted to be one of oduduwa son, in the hierarchy it was ooni first and oba of benin second, at these time alafin was still having superiority battle against the ooni, later when awolowo elevated the stool, the alafin subcumed and decided to stay at second displacing the oba to third position

So their argument on the ownership of the word oba has been defeated

It was mere politcs even the yoruba unification was not historical and ife was never thier ancestral town ife was a religious town to the yorubas

The title oba has bern in the yoruba lexicon as far
As 16century when benin expanded into their territory that would be 6centuries now
Despite the long age it has been in Yoruba lexicon it remains foreign to them

Imagine benin supplying yoruba warriors fighting atilaries, controlling their lands, giving them kings, controlling their market, just imagine how the title oba would sound to them

When the oba of benin was being taken to calabar by the British they had to cover his face to avoid uprise from both benin areas and non edo territorie

Note
Not until 1930 the ooni of ife used the word oba officially to adress is title letting go of the British sir in replacement of oba

He made a mistake of not foreseeing the end of the false political unification of benin people under yoruba umbrella he only saw the advantage of the name it would bring to his stool

He never proclaimed other yoruba monarchs to follow suit but automatically the other yoruba bought into adding oba to thier title

Note

Ogie is a title for duke only the oba of benin bears the title oba of benin

The question every tribe should ask yoruba is why do they adopt the word oba as a generic term for kingship when already is known to adress a popular monarch

I guess the answer can also be found in my writeup

Picture of one of the ooni holding an edo ceremonial sword wanting to mimic the benin stool, but i guess he later droped it

2 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 5:57pm On Nov 29, 2020
gregyboy:
The title oba entered the yoruba lexicon through benin ventures n replacement of oba

He ess he later droped it
benin influence is only known in some part of lagos. as an ijebu man that was never under the oyo empire , we were not under benin also.
we stand by our pride. cool
there more possilbity that we're decendant of canaan the ijebus. enough of all this distorted history let follow research and not just myth.
the ijebus always see themselve differnt.

other tribes may have come from the middle east but we preserve our name.
it is common in ijebu land to preserve ancestral surnames also. thats why alot of ijebu from lagos and ogunstate share same surname
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Nobody: 6:06pm On Nov 29, 2020
tollyboy5:

benin influence is only known in some part of lagos. as an ijebu man that was never under the oyo empire , we were not under benin also.
we stand by our pride. cool
there more possilbity that we're decendant of canaan the ijebus. enough of all this distorted history let follow research and not just myth.
the ijebus always see themselve differnt.

other tribes may have come from the middle east but we preserve our name.
it is common in ijebu land to preserve ancestral surnames also. thats why alot of ijebu from lagos and ogunstate share same surname

Precolonial map of west africa
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=193134;0
You want to get rid of the myths: then first start telling yourself the truth concerning Benin and Lagos.
For your info, Lagos was a part of Benin Kingdom, like many nigerians you confuse Benin Kingdom with its capital Benin city.
I totally join you in throwing away myths, but are you really ready for the truth ? Well your answer to this comment will inform me.

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 6:24pm On Nov 29, 2020
davidmarker2:

Precolonial map of west africa
You want to get rid of the myths: then first start telling yourself the truth concerning Benin and Lagos.
For your info, Lagos was a part of Benin Kingdom, like many nigerians you confuse Benin Kingdom with its capital Benin city.
I totally join you in throwing away myths, but are you really ready for the truth ? Well your answer to this comment will inform me.
I never disputed that. The person I mentioned was including the whole yorubas. The then Lagos was the Lagos island and co.
Aworis are the number one settlers in Lagos then before the Benin kingdom brought it under them. Meanwhile the ijebus has been close to Lagos and dominate the lagoon.
And their paramount ruler was the awujale at ijebu-ode . the present day Lagos cut the ijebu land of lekki-epe and ikorodu to be part of Lagos.
We've been on our land before the aworis came to their present dominance . and we still see ourself as ijebus despite being in Lagos state.
So I'm correct if I say our ijebu part of Lagos has been under ijebu kingdom of old and not Benin kingdom

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 29, 2020
tollyboy5:

I never disputed that. The person I mentioned was including the whole yorubas. The then Lagos was the Lagos island and co.
Aworis are the number one settlers in Lagos then before the Benin kingdom brought it under them. Meanwhile the ijebus has been close to Lagos and dominate the lagoon.
And their paramount ruler was the awujale at ijebu-ode . the present day Lagos cut the ijebu land of lekki-epe and ikorodu to be part of Lagos.
We've been on our land before the aworis came to their present dominance . and we still see ourself as ijebus despite being in Lagos state.
So I'm correct if I say our ijebu part of Lagos has been under ijebu kingdom of old and not Benin kingdom
The map I just showed contradicts your claims, you saw the map, yet you make the claim !
You talked about getting rid of myths, yet you go on to claim the "awori myth". Who witnessed the awori settling in Lagos ? How do you get to know they were the first settlers ?
You lack consistency ! You base your talk on myths while calling to get rid of myths.
Lagos was part of Benin Kingdom as I proved with the map.
End of story.
You are not ready for the truth, your earlier speech of getting rid of the myths was total hypocrisy.
By the way, your ancestors hated those you now call your "yoruba brothers", your ancestors saw them as inferior beings.

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 7:54pm On Nov 29, 2020
davidmarker2:

The map I just showed contradicts your claims, you
Being under the Benin kingdom does not mean it was Benin that inhabit the place. Conquered region can be brought under control. How does your picture prove the ancient Lagos was not awori?
Or you don't know the difference between settlement and kingdom?
The aworis knows what relationship they had with the Benin kingdom that they cross the ondo axis down to ijebu kingdom and came down to Lagos to claim it as its annex.
I'm be logical here. I accept the ancient Lagos was under Benin empire , how does that proves aworis were not the natives of the amcient Lagos island.
In specifically use ancient because ijebu kingdom has never been under any empire. And know we have part of the old ijebu kingdom cut into the present Lagos state.
Are you trying to tell me with a picture that ijebu-epe or ikorodu was under Benin?
Its seems you don't even understand yourself
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Nobody: 8:14pm On Nov 29, 2020
tollyboy5:

Being under the Benin kingdom does not mean it was Benin that inhabit the place. Conquered region can be brought under control. How does your picture prove the ancient Lagos was not awori?
Or you don't know the difference between settlement and kingdom?
The aworis knows what relationship they had with the Benin kingdom that they cross the ondo axis down to ijebu kingdom and came down to Lagos to claim it as its annex.
I'm be logical here. I accept the ancient Lagos was under Benin empire , how does that proves aworis were not the natives of the amcient Lagos island.
In specifically use ancient because ijebu kingdom has never been under any empire. And know we have part of the old ijebu kingdom cut into the present Lagos state.
Are you trying to tell me with a picture that ijebu-epe or ikorodu was under Benin?
Its seems you don't even understand yourself
talking to you is a lost cause, you are dishonnest and intellectually limited.
You keep going in circles. You don't realize you actually need to prove your claim of awori being the first settlers (a proof which doesn't exist) rather you expect people to either prove its opposit or accept it as fact.
ll you do is all mythical, for your info names of places change overtime. Because you call a place ogun today, doesn't mean that was its name 400 years ago. For example, the name nigeria didn't even exist 300 years ago !
It serves no puprose talking to you.
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 8:22pm On Nov 29, 2020
davidmarker2:

talking to you is a lost cause, you are dishonnest and intellectually limited.
You keep going in circles. You don't realize you actually need to prove your claim of awori being the first settlers (a proof which doesn't exist) rather you expect people to either prove its opposit or accept it as fact.
ll you do is all mythical, for your info names of places change overtime. Because you call a place ogun today, doesn't mean that was its name 400 years ago. For example, the name nigeria didn't even exist 300 years ago !
It serves no puprose talking to you.
All this grammar to prove Benin were the first settler with one picture! shocked

You're trying hard to reinvent history mr man. Deal with fact. And if you can't prove with fact thank me for schooling you wink

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 8:30pm On Nov 29, 2020
davidmarker2:

talking to you is a lost cause, you are dishonnest and u.
Just because Benin conquered a small ancient Lagos you want to change history with picture grin
You must be joking cheesy

Explain to me how does a conquered settlement mean no one was there?
By the way it was a tiny portion of the the present Lagos that was under the Benin kingdom. The dahomy and ijebu don't have anything to do with Benin and they're part of the present day Lagos state so what are you trying to prove?

Is it because our ijebu war lords decided not to interfere in the Benin business thats why we did not conquered the ancient Lagos.
Our clan is to large and we all speak one ijebu dialect so we're powerful self sufficient enough. Go ask your grand parents

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Nobody: 8:32pm On Nov 29, 2020
tollyboy5:

All this grammar to prove Benin were the first settler with one picture! shocked

You're trying hard to reinvent history mr man. Deal with fact. And if you can't prove with fact thank me for schooling you wink

I never said anybody were the first settler anywhere. There is actually no way of proving anybody was first settler anywhere. That is the point which I was making, but ofcourse you are not smart enough to understand.
And I see you have gone to quote some blog as "historical fact".
The only thing which is provable is that Lagos was part of Benin.
Jeez, don't expect any more reply from me.
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 8:41pm On Nov 29, 2020
davidmarker2:

I never said anybody were the first settler anywhere. There is actually no way of proving anybody was first settler anywhere. That is the point which I was making, but ofcourse you are not smart enough to understand.
And I see you have gone to quote some blog as "historical fact".
The only thing which is provable is that Lagos was part of Benin.
Jeez, don't expect any more reply from me.
Yeah! Lagos island! be specific. You're showing ignorance like many others who always tell me the oba of Lagos rule Lagos state.
I proved to people times without number that the oba of Lagos (Lagos island) is not the oba of Lagos state.
Lagos has different people living together. The badagry has their okran of badagry who is not under any oba.
The epe has their oba also. The present day epe people don't call themselve with the word "Lagos" because the ijebu war with the colonial masters , epe was the route the ijebu use to attack ancient Lagos not until the ijebu kingdom was defeated and epe became Lagos state.

So its a wrong information for you to bring our people under Benin. Always be specific that you mean "Lagos island" or better still "old Lagos" undecided

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by Nobody: 8:56pm On Nov 29, 2020
tollyboy5:

Yeah! Lagos island! be specific. You're showing ignorance like many others who always tell me the oba of Lagos rule Lagos state.
I proved to people times without number that the oba of Lagos (Lagos island) is not the oba of Lagos state.
Lagos has different people living together. The badagry has their okran of badagry who is not under any oba.
The epe has their oba also. The present day epe people don't call themselve with the word "Lagos" because the ijebu war with the colonial masters , epe was the route the ijebu use to attack ancient Lagos not until the ijebu kingdom was defeated and epe became Lagos state.

So its a wrong information for you to bring our people under Benin. Always be specific that you mean "Lagos island" or better still "old Lagos" undecided
Stop being daft, i never said "Lagos Island". I brought a map which shows the entirety of Lagos was part of Benin, not just the island !
This is the thoird time you are putting words in my mouth. it is time to stop your nonesense. ALL OF LAGOS WAS PART OF BENIN as shown by the map.
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 9:06pm On Nov 29, 2020
davidmarker2:
Stop being daft, i never said "Lagos Island". I brought a map which shows the entirety of Lagos was part of Benin, not just the island !
This is the thoird time you are putting words in my mouth. it is time to stop your nonesense. ALL OF LAGOS WAS PART OF BENIN as shown by the map.
What's on the map is ancient Lagos. Mr man learn and stop being ignorant. Ijebu kingdom has never been under anyone. And ijebu are part of the modern Lagos.
The Lagos on your map refers to ancient Lagos.
If you have any further prove let me know.
I'm from a royal family From a town in the present day Epe and my lineage is from the paramount awujale lineage of the ijebu kingdom.

You don't come online to prove rubbish to me when i know my kingdom territories and people.
Old Lagos is different from present Lagos state.
Get lost if you feel your ignorant self can't take simple instruction.
Thank your star on civilization that kings are no more powerful like before. Stubborn people like you would have been use to appease the gods angry

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 9:17pm On Nov 29, 2020
tollyboy5:

Just because Benin conquered a small ancient Lagos you want to change history with picture grin
You must be joking cheesy

Explain to me how does a conquered settlement mean no one was there?
By the way it was a tiny portion of the the present Lagos that was under the Benin kingdom. The dahomy and ijebu don't have anything to do with Benin and they're part of the present day Lagos state so what are you trying to prove?

Is it because our ijebu war lords decided not to interfere in the Benin business thats why we did not conquered the ancient Lagos.
Our clan is to large and we all speak one ijebu dialect so we're powerful self sufficient enough. Go ask your grand parents

Etinosa1234, this nigga here is saying benin ruled half portion of lagos

Please educate him

Lagos history i know is your specialty
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 9:46pm On Nov 29, 2020
tollyboy5:

What's on the map is ancient Lagos. Mr man learn and stop being ignorant. Ijebu kingdom has never been under anyone. And ijebu are part of the modern Lagos.
The Lagos on your map refers to ancient Lagos.
If you have any further prove let me know.
I'm from a royal family From a town in the present day Epe and my lineage is from the paramount awujale lineage of the ijebu kingdom.

You don't come online to prove rubbish to me when i know my kingdom territories and people.
Thank your star on civilization that kings are no more powerful like before. Stubborn people like you would have been use to appease the gods angry

[/quote]

Who said benin never ruled ijebu, even if benin didnt instil their monarch on the throne doesnt mean his sovereignty and influence didnt stretch ijebu, the Ijebus traded in benin river and the oba proclamation on trade deal with the whitemen affected Ijebu traders, they didnt trade without oba permission

Now get this benin river am talking about is not in benin city but around delta state, the name of the river in delta state is called benin river just imagine the influence the oba had at then, the whole Ijebus wouldn't think of attempting war with benins

Now get the fact again, benin indirectly ruled over ijebu, is like saying because the British didnt war some nigeria tribe and resided there that means British never conquered those tribe

Thats what you are trying to say, as far as you had no power to war a supirior power be it the government of the supior power was not established in your town, that doesn't mean you were nor conquered because it is not every tribe the British wared in nigeria for it to colonized the country

Again samuel johnson made it known that ijebus was used as himan sacrifice in benin

Take a look at the screenshot below i guess the circled is an ijebu town

https://www.nairaland.com/5658558/see-origins-founding-patriarchs-yoruba#86212220

Number 133

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 11:53pm On Nov 29, 2020
gregyboy:

You don't come online to prove rubbish to me when i know as himan sacrifice in benin

Take a look at the screenshot below i guess the circled is an ijebu town
Send me the link and stop posting pictures. You don't know what you're saying.

Ijebu traded with the white men as early as 14century . we have access to the ijebu-Epe lagoon . what do we need delta river for? undecided

Stop formulating story to back your claims. My ancestors were even fishermen from ijebu-epe we serious minded people and we invented the earlier means of exchange which was the cowry.

The Benin knew the ijebus were feared and serious minded people. So strong kingdoms avoid picking quarrel with each other. undecided the Benin dare not trespass us.

2 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 11:58pm On Nov 29, 2020
gregyboy:

Etinosa1234, this nigga here is saying benin ruled half portion of lagos

Please educate him

Lagos history i know is your specialty

Lol half is overrated. Benin never ruled less than half of the present Lagos. Ijebu-epe has the largest division in Lagos today followed by ikorodu. We don't know anything about Benin in these places. Even badagry.

So stop the over hype of Benin influence. We collected tax from the Yoruba interland even during the colonial era . were much powerful
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 12:03am On Nov 30, 2020
tollyboy5:

Send me the link and stop posting pictures. You don't know what you're saying.

Ijebu traded with the white men as early as 14century . we have access to the ijebu-Epe lagoon . what do we need delta river for? undecided

Stop formulating story to back your claims. My ancestors were even fishermen from ijebu-epe we serious minded people and we invented the earlier means of exchange which was the cowry.

The Benin knew the ijebus were feared and serious minded people. So strong kingdoms avoid picking quarrel with each other. undecided the Benin dare not trespass us.

Lol, Tao11 wouldn't say this rubbish to me, despite her being know to say rubbish

I would let you go today maybe next time but before then go and learm your history you take pride on before you get yourself mocked next time
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 12:09am On Nov 30, 2020
tollyboy5:

Lol half is overrated. Benin never ruled less than half of the present Lagos. Ijebu-epe has the largest division in Lagos today followed by ikorodu. We don't know anything about Benin in these places. Even badagry.

So stop the over hype of Benin influence. We collected tax from the Yoruba interland even during the colonial era . were much powerful

You really dont know your history do you....

How about we bet on it 5k each, if benin never rule the entire lagos....
How about it......

That would teach you your history the easy way
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 12:11am On Nov 30, 2020
gregyboy:

How about it......

That would teach you your history the easy way
You'll end up disgracing yourself bro. You can't know me more than I know myself
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 12:13am On Nov 30, 2020
gregyboy:

How about it......

That would teach ycou your history the easy way
I ask you to send me the link of the post you circled . you don't want to. You're scared of been busted right? grin keep lying to yourself
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 12:16am On Nov 30, 2020
tollyboy5:

You'll end up disgracing yourself bro. You can't know me more than I know myself

Just agree to it, let me get myself ready....

We will have an ibo person as the judge
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 12:19am On Nov 30, 2020
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 12:37am On Nov 30, 2020
tollyboy5:

ESO ee, Omo Epe Alaro, Omo Ogunmodede!

Actually, Benin never ruled anywhere in Lagos. I repeat, anywhere.

The idea that Benin ruled Lagos is a propaganda that unfortunately sold well and bought even by some Lagosian.

A thread is coming soon on that.

Cheers!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 12:40am On Nov 30, 2020
TAO11:
Benin never ruled anywhere in Lagos.

A thread is coming soon on that.
I don't just want to go to that angle. Because they were welcomed in Lagos they said they ruled Lagos. sad
How can you rule a place without war?
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 12:41am On Nov 30, 2020

1 Like

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 12:41am On Nov 30, 2020
tollyboy5:

I don't just want to go to that angle. Because they were welcomed in Lagos they said they ruled Lagos. sad
How can you rule a place without war?
I will share a link here shortly that should give some background to the actual history. Give me a second.

3 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by gregyboy(m): 12:50am On Nov 30, 2020
tollyboy5:
Link of a confuse dude that don't know meaning of some Yoruba cities is the evidence Benin ruled Lagos? Including ijebu people? sad

Weed is not good for your health bro

Stop reading in Yoruba learn to read in English bro

Nigga drop your money were you put your mouth
Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 12:52am On Nov 30, 2020
As promised:

Take the link from here: Number (1)

https://www.nairaland.com/6234931/why-ikwerres-not-igbo-logic/9#96323798

More to follow:

cc: tollyboy5

2 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by TAO11(f): 12:54am On Nov 30, 2020

2 Likes

Re: The Ijebu Vs Jebusite by tollyboy5(m): 12:54am On Nov 30, 2020
gregyboy:

Stop reading in Yoruba learn to read in English bro

Nigga drop your money were you put your mouth
You don't even know what to say .
It seen you just need money bah?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nubian Goddess / Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) / Africans Abroad,a New Definition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.