Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,906 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School (34045 Views)

Manual Labour In Secondary School (Photo) / The Most Stupid Novel I Ever Read. Lol... Oya Guess D Name / Kate Omenugha Dressed In Secondary School Uniform (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by Austineva(m): 8:09am On Dec 21, 2020
EzzyCarter:
The African child by Camara Laye
Black Boy by Richard Wright
My Father's Daughter by Mabel Segun
Without a Silver Spoon by Eddie Iroh
Tunde on The Run ( can't recall Author's name )
Drummer Boy by Cyprian Ekwensi
Petals of Blood by N'gugi wa Thiongo
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
Treasure Island by RL Stevenson
D African Child. I loved it like no tomorrow

2 Likes

Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by BonPatrick(m): 8:10am On Dec 21, 2020
God bless you
danyero:
Chike and the River
Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by Angelfrost(m): 8:11am On Dec 21, 2020
Jodha:

The concubine ...I lost that book and I can't find it in bookshops any more...
Animal farm is my all time favourite....I've read it more than 20 times...

You can find the soft copy online... Same thing happened to me. That's not a book to lose.

@Op... I read way too many novels starting from Primary school. Even now as a medical professional, I still read them in the hundreds every year.

The few that I have termed evergreen and timeless are:

1. The Concubine (Elechi Amadi)
2. Things Fall Apart (Chinua Achebe)
3. Anthills of The Savannah (Chinua Achebe) (Almost all his books, he was the author of authors)
4. Arrow of God (Chinua Achebe)
5. King of Torts (John Grisham) (I doubt there is a Grisham book I haven't devoured)
6. Mine Boy (Peter Abraham) (Every African should read this)
7. The Only Son (John Munonye)
8. When a Child is Motherless (Andrew Okogba) (Every serious Nigerian ought to read or have read this)
9. Weep Not Child (Ngugi Wa'Thiongo)
10. The Victims (Isidore Okpewho)
11. The Great Gatsby (F. Fitzgerald) (One of the greatest works of fiction in history)

Of course, I have since gone on to own a virtual library of over 2,000 novels and books!!! Still collecting, and would love to add more... Please, anyone should recommend current great Nigerian and African fiction writers on these contemporary times, as I seem to have more of foreign authored books.

3 Likes

Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by BonPatrick(m): 8:11am On Dec 21, 2020
Omg guy you don old wow I remember the novel when I was in primary 4 or so
Honduras01:
cheesy The Sugar Girl. Ralia! grin

1 Like

Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by elpochas: 8:12am On Dec 21, 2020
McGg:

Have you come across the book "no man's Land".. I don't know the author
That book is a bomb,it was written by Louis Omotayo Johnson in the year 1980.The plot looks like a pacesetters novel.Read that book in 2002.Have you read The mark of the cobra?they are so similar.Really missed the good old days of writing.

2 Likes

Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by BonPatrick(m): 8:12am On Dec 21, 2020
Thanks for mentioning Oliver twist that was my favourite novel I don't get tired reading it
9jaBloke:
Oliver Twist
The Burning Grass
Samankwe and the Highway Robbers
Arms and the man
She stoops to conquer
Chike and the river
Wedlock of the gods
Echi di ime
Tales out of school
Adventures of Souza
The African Child
The virtuous woman
Animal Farm
The mayor of Casterbridge
The Potter's Wheel
The Concubine
Lamb Tales from Shakespeare
Twelfth night or what you will

Literature was my favourite subject and I was a library rat. I read over 100 novels but the ones listed were in our curriculum.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by sageb: 8:12am On Dec 21, 2020
exynos:
Things fall apart by Chinua Achebe

The passport of mallam ilia by Cyprian Ekwensi

An african night's entertainment by Cyprian Ekwensi

Drummer boy by Cyprian Ekwensi

Eze goes to school by Onuora Nzekwu
you just post what I had in mind to post. it is Akin,the drummer boy

1 Like

Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by charlesucheh(m): 8:20am On Dec 21, 2020
BluntTheApostle:

It is a play, not a novel.

written in a book. bruv! to an average Nigerian, they all fall under the category of a Novel. so don't come here with you over sahbi literary attitude to intimidate us. just get the message chikena.....
Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by Greatfullheart: 8:20am On Dec 21, 2020
Ronaldo and the Lagos girl. I'll neva forget, anybody that hasnt read it should try and read it, its interesting and innovating.

Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by Nobody: 8:21am On Dec 21, 2020
exynos:
Things fall apart by Chinua Achebe

The passport of mallam ilia by Cyprian Ekwensi

An african night's entertainment by Cyprian Ekwensi

Drummer boy by Cyprian Ekwensi

Eze goes to school by Onuora Nzekwu
Are you a tribalist?
Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by Nobody: 8:23am On Dec 21, 2020
Wives and Mothers
Exe goes to school
Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by Fianze93(m): 8:23am On Dec 21, 2020
It's obvious a lot of us don't know what a novel is.

Shakespeare's ain't novels.
'Telephone Conversation' no be novel
'Our Husband Has Gone Mad Again' is not a novel

And many more wey I dey see for una list
Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by 18wheeler: 8:24am On Dec 21, 2020
The Passport of Mallam Iliya

Aduke by night & other stories

Christmas in the city

Eze goes to school

Without a silver spoon

Things fall Apart

African child

1 Like

Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by BluntTheApostle(m): 8:27am On Dec 21, 2020
charlesucheh:
written in a book. bruv! to an average Nigerian, they all fall under the category of a Novel. so don't come here with you over sahbi literary attitude to intimidate us. just get the message chikena.....

So, textbooks are also novels abi? Since they are "written in books".

You people just enjoy being ignorant. You are unteachable.

You find a problem with anyone who wants to teach you.

Learn! If not for your sake, at least for the sake of your children.

Will you teach your children that every work published as a book is a novel?

1 Like

Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by CsRockefeller(m): 8:29am On Dec 21, 2020
Mother's Choice by Agbo Areo
Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by Jimmy231: 8:31am On Dec 21, 2020
The African child, the concubine, the beautiful ones are not yet born, Marchant of Venice
Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by Nobody: 8:32am On Dec 21, 2020
precy111:
What is that novel you can never forget that you read in secondary school?

me; they are many of them like Woman in her Prime, Ozigolo, Women of Owu, Blind Search, Medicine for Money.
Joy's of Motherhood
Sizwe Bancy is Dead
Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by Jimmy231: 8:32am On Dec 21, 2020
Fianze93:
It's obvious a lot of us don't know what a novel is.

Shakespeare's ain't novels.
'Telephone Conversation' no be novel
'Our Husband Has Gone Mad Again' is not a novel

And many more wey I dey see for una list
hmm I remember this book our husband has gone mad again
Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by joyfullyjoyous(f): 8:32am On Dec 21, 2020
Macbeth

1 Like

Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by Fianze93(m): 8:33am On Dec 21, 2020
Angelfrost:

You can find the soft copy online... Same thing happened to me. That's not a book to lose.

@Op... I read way too many novels starting from Primary school. Even now as a medical professional, I still read them in the hundreds every year.

The few that I have termed evergreen and timeless are:

1. The Concubine (Elechi Amadi)
2. Things Fall Apart (Chinua Achebe)
3. Anthills of The Savannah (Chinua Achebe) (Almost all his books, he was the author of authors)
4. Arrow of God (Chinua Achebe)
5. King of Torts (John Grisham) (I doubt there is a Grisham book I haven't devoured)
6. Mine Boy (Peter Abraham) (Every African should read this)
7. The Only Son (John Munonye)
8. When a Child is Motherless (Andrew Okogba) (Every serious Nigerian ought to read or have read this)
9. Weep Not Child (Ngugi Wa'Thiongo)
10. The Victims (Isidore Okpewho)
11. The Great Gatsby (F. Fitzgerald) (One of the greatest works of fiction in history)

Of course, I have since gone on to own a virtual library of over 2,000 novels and books!!! Still collecting, and would love to add more... Please, anyone should recommend current great Nigerian and African fiction writers on these contemporary times, as I seem to have more of foreign authored books.

Great collections you have here, Akachi Adimora-Ezeigbo and Mariama Ba was missing sha.

I'll recommend you read contemporary writers like:

Chimeka Garriks (Tomorrow Died Yesterday)

Asika Ikechukwu (Tamara, The Portrait of an Artist as a Mad Man)

Odili Ujubụọṅụ (Pride of the Spider Clan, Pregnancy of the Gods, Treasure in the Wind)

Ositadimma Amaka eze (The Last Carver)

If you like feminist novels look up Ngozi Chuma-Udeh, she's like the new version of Akachi Adimora-Ezeigbo.

You won't regret reading any of these novelists.

1 Like

Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by Herbephe1(m): 8:34am On Dec 21, 2020
Moblux:

This is the first novel I read. That was my in primary six then.

Novels Read in Secondary School
A. African Writers Series
1. Efurun
2. No Longer at Ease
3. One Man One Matchet
4. Things Fall Apart
5. Burning Grass

B. Pacesetter Series
1. Undesirable Element
2. Stop Press
3. For Rebecca and Mbatha
4. Too Cold for Comfort

C. Others
1. Consipiracy of Silence
2. Echoes from the Lagoon
3. Eze Goes to School
4. Beyond the Cloud that Never Moved

D. Foreign
1. Gulliver's Travel
2. Great Expectations
3. Famous Five

Yoruba
1. Ireke Onibudo
2. Kuye
3. Nkan Asiri

I should have read close to 300 novels ( not including plays). This because as at my second year in Secondary School, I had read over 59 novels and I was keeping reading log then. Lol!

pls can you send me some of this on my gmail?
Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by R0LL0N(m): 8:34am On Dec 21, 2020
The legend of Jimmy Johnson
Iyawo Alarede
Sisi jetue
Erin Lakatabu
Ralia and the sugar girl
The joy of motherwood
Blind Choice
Asake and the river goddess
Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by Desiiger222(m): 8:34am On Dec 21, 2020
Gulliver's travel by Jonathan Swift
Arms and the man by Bernard Shaw
Our husband has gone mad again by Ola Rotimi
Women of owu by femi osofisan
The God's are not to blame by Ola Rotimi
Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by pompeiimagnus: 8:35am On Dec 21, 2020
Homeboiy:
Ukwa rue oge ya

Okpa aku eri eri

Nwata bulie nna ya elu

Nwata rie awo

Hamlet
Macbet

Julio Cesar

Nwanne mmadu! Nwata bulie nna ya elu, ngwongwo na ngwongwo ayochie ya anya!

1 Like

Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by R0LL0N(m): 8:37am On Dec 21, 2020
Greatfullheart:
Ronaldo and the Lagos girl. I'll neva forget, anybody that hasnt read it should try and read it, its interesting and innovating.
All this one are #20 story book back then and they can never be recommended in teaching syllabus.
Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by Desiiger222(m): 8:38am On Dec 21, 2020
Greatfullheart:
Who is the author?
Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by greatlee(m): 8:39am On Dec 21, 2020
Juochi by Tagbo Nzeako (Nze na ozo)
Things fall apart
Arrow of God
The concubine
Eze goes to school
Animal farm
One week one trouble
The trial of brother jero
The rain maker
The jury
The run away bride

3 Likes

Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by Honduras01: 8:39am On Dec 21, 2020
BonPatrick:
Omg guy you don old wow I remember the novel when I was in primary 4 or so
grin
Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by tunize(m): 8:40am On Dec 21, 2020
"without a silver spoon"
Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by pompeiimagnus: 8:44am On Dec 21, 2020
I am really impressed to see many young Nigerians appreciate the impact these novels had in our lives, especially as young teens reading them! My Dad still has a bookshelf of so many novels he read in school back in the 70's! I hope to pass down these works to my children in a few years.

1 Like

Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by Orjioorji(f): 8:44am On Dec 21, 2020
Uyi168:
Silas marner.
The black boy.
The man for all seasons.
The joys of motherhood.
mmmmmm the black boy put tears on my eyes those days.

1 Like

Re: The Novel I Can Never Forget In Secondary School by Uyi168: 8:45am On Dec 21, 2020
Orjioorji:
mmmmmm the black boy put tears on my eyes those days.
Yes o.
Such a great book.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

ASUU Finally Reacts To FG's "No work, No Pay" Policy / Head Teacher Demoted To Gateman, Security Man Becomes Teacher In Calabar / Pupils Sitting On The Floor To Eat Food In Adamawa School (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.