Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,348 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? (20858 Views)

Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? / How To Discipline Your Child The Smart And Healthy Way-UNICEF / What Did You Do To Receive The Worst Beating Your Parents Ever Gave You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by NADFOR: 7:45pm On Jan 02, 2021
Even adult get flogged by law enforcement agencies to put sense in their Head if they misbehave talk more of a child.

1 Like

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by mayormick(m): 7:48pm On Jan 02, 2021
Ulunne777:
Yes on a good day after you've been warned several times.
This year alone I had bought up to 3 slippers for them and they'd throw it over the next compound while playing.costly kiddies footwearsoo. They usually land in a big gutter there which means no retrieval. I talked, threatened yet when I buy another one the same story.

I have had enough and after flogging them very well presented a new one. The one called bathroom slippers�.each #150

OMG,6 months after they are still intact to be washed every Saturday. If you see the carefulness. Lol

Thank you so much o, really like your example. I don't know where this "I can't beat my child" thing come from. Fine, it should not be often but seriously if you meet some children with some kind attitude; honestly one should not spare the rod abeg. We must realise children at times differ in behaviour, some are naturally gentle and obedient while some are not. However, praying for Gods guidance should also not be rule out so that no matter the kind of disciplinary measures a person adopt it will just work without any resistance

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by capitalzero: 7:49pm On Jan 02, 2021
bizme:
I have been involved in quite a number of discussions and debates of this nature where some believe that the only way to bring up children is by beating them. Others believe the opposite is true. I was brought up by parents who considered heavy handedness as a parental virtue and they never spared the rod in dealing with us... I have noticed the same pattern in our educational setting where teachers prefer to communicate their emotion via the cane.
I personally think most of such beating comes from parents' and teachers' inability to rein in their temper, rather than the genuine interest in the child's well being.

I have my little children, and it is not difficult to talk things over with them, and even set up disciplinary measures that don't involve beating.

Looking back over your shoulders, would you say the kind of beating-filled/beating-devoid upbringing you received has affected your relationship with your parents? And would you accept teachers to beat your children anyhow?

I believe I am posting this in the right section.

Beating a child is just one of the many disciplinary measures. Choose appropriate measure in the spirit of kindness and mildness.
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by capitalzero: 7:51pm On Jan 02, 2021
Ulunne777:
This year alone I had bought up to 3 slippers for them and they'd throw it over the next compound while playing.costly kiddies footwearsoo. They usually land in a big gutter there which means no retrieval. I talked, threatened yet when I buy another one the same story.

I have had enough and after flogging them very well presented a new one. The one called bathroom slippers�.each #150

OMG,6 months after they are still intact to be washed every Saturday. If you see the carefulness. Lol

Your children would be happy with you in the future.
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by benji93: 7:53pm On Jan 02, 2021
I won't allow teachers beat my kids(, not because i detest the use of the rod, but for the fact that i cannot trust them to use the rod under the right circumstances, cos as you asserted some of them just do it cos they cannot control their temper. And yes i'll use the rod on my kids if it warrants it. Despite this i do not believe the use of a rod to correct a child is the only way. There are other methods that are more suitable in different circumstances. I only hope when it's time that i am well-equipped to apply the right psychological correction to my kids in the right circumstances, or perhaps if i err in my application, i hope i can be humble enough to correct my method of correction, if fortunate reverse the negative effect of my previous action. These things are complicated. To everyone his own. Some will say oh, talking to your child is enough, and that's fine. However, i do not believe so, never underestimate the power of "Iko" or "Abara". Very effective tools. cheesy grin. Me for example i was very stubborn growing up. I mean the "Mount Everest" stubborn. I mean i fit go viewing center go watch match at 10:00pm at night. I mean why my pupsy no go treat my Bleep up. One particular day, he turn me upside down hit my head for pavement. Men the kain punishment wey he give me, no be small thing. To be frank those punishments help me. I fit no be small. People dey ask me how i take get 6 packs. grin. You know that punishment wey you go stand on one leg, raise one leg then stoop to prop up with one hand. I mean if you don dey do that kain thing since you be 10, why you no go get stamina? grin. Recently one Libyan guy wey dey go gym, dey take protein supplements join, challenge me to a wrestle. As i just bend hol am, the guy no fit move me, i push am all the way back. cheesy. The guy tall get body pass me ooo. No be small thing. The kind beating wey i go through en. Interesting no be those beating really change me, and no be say i no dey dey remorseful ooo. But some days after i go go do the same thing again. grin. Na life and travel change me. I see the way the people around me dey live. Na hin i dey think to myself i no wan turn out like this man. I come travel join. no be person go tell you make you behave yourself. Wey my parents dey call me dey remind me say, remember the son of whom you are. To be honest the desire to behave just took over. I thank God for that. But in retrospect, i do believe my father could have better corrected me in a different way for some misbehaviors. But well he did what he knew then. I know better, so i must do better. But i tell you my child will definitely get that spanking, "iko" and "Abara" from time to time. cheesy grin. The corrective effect of those tools are just tremendous. Keep them in your tool box, and use them from time ot time. cheesy grin. At least something that won't leave indelible scars on the bodies of the children.
bizme:
I have been involved in quite a number of discussions and debates of this nature where some believe that the only way to bring up children is by beating them. Others believe the opposite is true. I was brought up by parents who considered heavy handedness as a parental virtue and they never spared the rod in dealing with us... I have noticed the same pattern in our educational setting where teachers prefer to communicate their emotion via the cane.
I personally think most of such beating comes from parents' and teachers' inability to rein in their temper, rather than the genuine interest in the child's well being.

I have my little children, and it is not difficult to talk things over with them, and even set up disciplinary measures that don't involve beating.

Looking back over your shoulders, would you say the kind of beating-filled/beating-devoid upbringing you received has affected your relationship with your parents? And would you accept teachers to beat your children anyhow?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by DEBJOCH1(m): 7:53pm On Jan 02, 2021
A TYPICAL AFRICAN CHILD NEED BEATING, SHOUTING, EYE SIGN, NOSE SIGN TO TRAIN, I HATE THIS WESTERNIZATION THING, NO WONDER YOU WILL SEE AN INDOMIA BEING RUDE AND INSULTIVE TO HIS/HER SENIOR. WE TEND TO COPY THE BAD THING EASILY FROM THE WESTERN WORLD AND LEAVE THE GOOD ONE.
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by starbn(m): 7:56pm On Jan 02, 2021
spare the rod and spoil the child for all this grammar here . no beating without a reason. it all depend on the level offence committed.
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Seyzcham91(m): 7:57pm On Jan 02, 2021
Child beating is just Africa Culture and Tradition thing

Westerners don't beat but only Ground Their Kids for them to receive sense

Growing up only my mom always beat the hell out of Us, but as for our Dad he never Beat us for once in his lifetime which i knew as well cuz he's not a fan of that child beating thing

To the best of my knowledge and Understanding, Beat up a child all you want, a child turns out to be what he or she wanna be eventually so its not about beating

As Yoruba adage Says "alagemo ti bimo tan, aimi ojo kusi lowo"
bizme:

1 Like

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jan 02, 2021
illicit:
No I don't support violence even as a teacher....

One other thing I don't like is making students cut grass at school or sweeping.... it's child labour....

The school should do that not the students IMO

So if ur son tells u that u are a silly alot, u will congratulate him. Ok
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jan 02, 2021
bizme:

U are destroying ur children...especially the ones that need higher discipline than d other
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jan 02, 2021
bizme:
Allow me to disagree with you on this. If we are to look at it objectively the oyibos have much better society using both economic and morality parameters to judge. So if we copy the good aspects of their life, it wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Secondly, I don't think immorality is increasing everyday in our society like you have put it. Instead the ready access to the internet makes it easy for us to learn about things we wouldn't otherwise have known. Neither do I believe that this generation is worse than the previous. Our fathers and mothers and people before them were part of equally immoral generation, they simply like to be hypocritical when talking about the younger generation. Just like many of us might also feel like telling our kids that their generation is unnecessarily permissive morally speaking. It is all a lie. Our parents did their own kind of atrocities in their time, they were not saints.

Back to the oyibos, without flogging kids they somehow manage to produce more empathic and more human human beings that build the society. We continue to lay claim on a higher morality in our society yet we keep churning out terrorists, yahoo-yahoo, and corrupt individuals year in year out. It isn't a bad idea to copy their style of raising up kids.

""If we are to look at it objectively the oyibos have much better society using both economic and morality parameters to judge.""

This is blatantly false. Oyibo have one of the most terrible morality parameter on earth
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jan 02, 2021
descarado:
We beat cos we don't know how to communicate with our kids. Create soured relationships between parents and kids in the future and the cycle continues..

Kids nowadays are very outspoken. U can't silence them with beating and most times if u are patience enough to listen and assimilate, they make better argument than you. How a child should talk back at you is the problem.

U will have a friend if u see your child as a friend and confidant. Look at our society. Our parents beat the hell out of us. Are we better. We are very aggressive, lack patience and inherently wicked. These traits were formed when we were young. Thanks to beating and constant unnecessary nagging.

""We beat cos we don't know how to communicate with our kids.""

False.
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by fredoooooo: 8:05pm On Jan 02, 2021
Yes ke .. it automatically bring the brain to factory reset
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by LadySarah: 8:06pm On Jan 02, 2021
Ulunne777:

It should be once in a bluemoon so when you remind them of it, they'd adjust.

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by frowland(m): 8:09pm On Jan 02, 2021
[s]
descarado:
We beat cos we don't know how to communicate with our kids. Create soured relationships between parents and kids in the future and the cycle continues..

Kids nowadays are very outspoken. U can't silence them with beating and most times if u are patience enough to listen and assimilate, they make better argument than you. How a child should talk back at you is the problem.

U will have a friend if u see your child as a friend and confidant. Look at our society. Our parents beat the hell out of us. Are we better. We are very aggressive, lack patience and inherently wicked. These traits were formed when we were young. Thanks to beating and constant unnecessary nagging.
[/s]
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by shereef19: 8:10pm On Jan 02, 2021
Is better u threatened them with what de like that to beat them... Gone r does days that u beat kids to b discipline but this days beat them distance them from u n lack motivation
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by validstar1: 8:11pm On Jan 02, 2021
I would give them a spanking when it's necessary and a good ol' hug when it's needed.
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by MozB: 8:16pm On Jan 02, 2021
I think there are lots of other ways to discipline a child without hitting them or inflicting pain physically. In some cases sef, those other measures work even better.
But i'm telling you that you cannot take 'hitting a child' off the list of disciplinary acts. But it should be least option. A child should actually deserve it.

1 Like

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Jimmy231: 8:16pm On Jan 02, 2021
CalliDora1:

Of course I'll stick to the policy. As for my own children from my womb, I'll give corporal punishment. It helps. Trust me.
hmmmm teachers plenty for this trend
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by johnlegend01: 8:19pm On Jan 02, 2021
Very well. If you start to beat a child early and let the child know why he is being beaten each time and that he won't have to be beaten if he always do right, he will grow to learn that there is right and there is wrong. But then, you don't have to beat a child for every single offence to avoid having a child that sees beating as "nothing"
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by desthan(m): 8:20pm On Jan 02, 2021
Hell yes, I flog the shit of of them when they fall out of line.
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by mentored: 8:20pm On Jan 02, 2021
bizme:

dont beat them anyhow

but beat them

yes
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Lawalemi(m): 8:21pm On Jan 02, 2021
I beat them moderately. My father beat me madly though
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Kingdemu: 8:21pm On Jan 02, 2021
My son is 2 and I smack him arse if him misbehave
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Odss11: 8:21pm On Jan 02, 2021
Never take away the rod from the child...but doing it too early would build resistance in the baby..
Chastise the kids...not with canes always...when it's too frequent they gradually build resistance
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 02, 2021
Balance is what is important..

Children can be mischievous so they will need manual discipline especially when they are in there pre teens...but once they are teenager beating is in no way adviced...

And In beating ur child ..it's should not be brutal or inhuman but done in such a way as to pass across the message of correction with respect to it coming from an action based on love and not hatred..

But I say no to extremity in both ways..

I know exactly two sets of families who were tenants.in my father's house ..

One was a woman who had four children. She was so brutal and very wicked in beating her children and mostly for flimsy reasons to the extent that she even beats her baby who is less than a year and still crawling...but you know what? her children are the most mischievous and stubborn in the compound...

I know another family who are also tenants in my house...a man and his wife who are parents over three boys..this people literally don't touch there kids at all...the oldest is below ten years but yet the parents only query and complain to the kids whenever they do anything wrong...
The said kids are disrespectful,mannerles,can't greet, have no single fear...one of the child is literally like a broom stick cuz he refuses to eat anything besides biscuits...they only watch cartons even when the dad is around cuz daddy can't change it, honestly it's the kids that control and give orders to there parents..cuz they parents are wat to meek and kind...

Infact the thing tire me
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by harmony75: 8:22pm On Jan 02, 2021
discipline is very important in life even as a baby you're breastfeeding and he/she bites you..you spank them, you will see that baby won't do it again so discipline start as toddler, you see the child becoming responsible, gentle, kind and loving because of the upbringing. don't ever say a child is too young oh she's still a baby, you see some parents have already worring about an 8years old? � yes because they ignore the naughty behaviors of that child oh he's still a baby, if you allow that baby get away with some little naught naught altitude you're only pampering that child to ruin his/her life it becomes difficult to even before 10th Birthday some mom are already complaining about their little kids?? punishment like facing the wall with their hands up, no game, cartoon punish them with what they love no child likes that he or she will be begging pls mommy I won't do that again ☺ ��is good to discipline children so you have peace naw and at your old age ���
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Jimmy231: 8:22pm On Jan 02, 2021
There is always a correction to wrong, but beating should be limited. You can't just spare our Nigeria kids they are sturbon as the parent. I rest my case to the teachers in the house
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Shattuck(m): 8:27pm On Jan 02, 2021
people talk about beating a child as a disciplinary measure, but most times beating a child only shows the lack of tolerance on the part of the parent, hardly will you see a parent beating a child without anger and aggression.

3 Likes

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by edoairways: 8:27pm On Jan 02, 2021
bizme:
Allow me to disagree with you on this. If we are to look at it objectively the oyibos have much better society using both economic and morality parameters to judge. So if we copy the good aspects of their life, it wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Secondly, I don't think immorality is increasing everyday in our society like you have put it. Instead the ready access to the internet makes it easy for us to learn about things we wouldn't otherwise have known. Neither do I believe that this generation is worse than the previous. Our fathers and mothers and people before them were part of equally immoral generation, they simply like to be hypocritical when talking about the younger generation. Just like many of us might also feel like telling our kids that their generation is unnecessarily permissive morally speaking. It is all a lie. Our parents did their own kind of atrocities in their time, they were not saints.

Back to the oyibos, without flogging kids they somehow manage to produce more empathic and more human human beings that build the society. We continue to lay claim on a higher morality in our society yet we keep churning out terrorists, yahoo-yahoo, and corrupt individuals year in year out. It isn't a bad idea to copy their style of raising up kids.

I agree with you. Inspite of the floggings from parents and teachers, our society is still messed up. Just look how our politicians behave this days inspite of the discipline from their parents and teachers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Aimerosa25(f): 8:32pm On Jan 02, 2021
As a proper parent, one should know when to beat when necessary and when to counsel, but I'll beat when there's need to.
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Osashalom: 8:37pm On Jan 02, 2021
bizme:

Why not if not?
All these grammar of child this child that have incapacitated well meaning parents! Modern men will always claim to be wiser than God.
God knows best when He said spare the rod and spoil the child.
He also said ''foolishness abound in the heart of a child, but the rod of correction drives it away''.
Little did you wonder why world is collapsing morally on daily basis?
All these civilisation are scam, they have done more harm than good as touching moral up bringing of children.
Moderation should be the concern here.
So when there is need to flug a child, flug him, adequately he won't die.
Don't forget the world can't be wiser than God!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Please Help Me Clarify This Issue Of Marriage Certificate / Why Women Hide Money From Their Husbands! / Nigerian Woman Delivers Triplets "After 9 Years Of Name-calling And Insults"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.