Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,089 members, 7,825,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? (20893 Views)

Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? / How To Discipline Your Child The Smart And Healthy Way-UNICEF / What Did You Do To Receive The Worst Beating Your Parents Ever Gave You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jan 02, 2021
Yes I do, though not intense beating, the bible says in proverb 13:24.
*spare the rod and spoil the child.
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jan 02, 2021
If not for beating and strict discipline, my own werey for reach like season 100 episode 200. Let's be truthful please! When you remember that coming home late by 7:00pm will attract beating, baba you go build legedes for leg. Funny enough, till now I don't keep late night; won't that be a good example to children and grant peace to my wife?
Kids needs beating abegi... there's nothing like psychological trauma jor...when s/he was busy misbehaving na accolades you wan make we give am? So she go grow more wings? Meet children of "my mum don't beat me" and children of "my mum na actor o"; their vices level can't be on same page.
I soro soke base on say I dey with children wella o.
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Pusyiter(m): 8:45pm On Jan 02, 2021
Ulunne777:
Yes on a good day after you've been warned several times.
This year alone I had bought up to 3 slippers for them and they'd throw it over the next compound while playing.costly kiddies footwearsoo. They usually land in a big gutter there which means no retrieval. I talked, threatened yet when I buy another one the same story.

I have had enough and after flogging them very well presented a new one. The one called bathroom slippers�.each #150

OMG,6 months after they are still intact to be washed every Saturday. If you see the carefulness. Lol

Hahahjaaaa

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by SeriouslySense(m): 8:46pm On Jan 02, 2021
cheesy cheesy cheesy, some things we have to consider.

bizme:
I completely agree with you. My boy too is five years old, and without having to beat him he is a very kind and smart kid.

My parents believed so much in beating and it ended up building a massive distance between them and the kids. We simply got better at hiding our thoughts and actions from them. Having such a distance from by kids is one thing that scares the hell out of me.

1 Like

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by gabazin080(m): 8:48pm On Jan 02, 2021
same problem I always have with my wife. she is a disciplinarian. she beats my 5 year old every time the young lad misbehaves. even my 2 year old twins are not exempted. she beats them them at Any slight provocation which I am not always happy with.
we have discussed this severally but yet she won't change. I even threatened to beat her up one day when she used a belt on our son.
the boy is becoming more stubborn by the day in spite of the beatings.
the kids like to always be with me whenever I return from work and they tend to tell me things they won't tell their mom
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by psyco: 8:48pm On Jan 02, 2021
bizme:
Allow me to disagree with you on this. If we are to look at it objectively the oyibos have much better society using both economic and morality parameters to judge. So if we copy the good aspects of their life, it wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Secondly, I don't think immorality is increasing everyday in our society like you have put it. Instead the ready access to the internet makes it easy for us to learn about things we wouldn't otherwise have known. Neither do I believe that this generation is worse than the previous. Our fathers and mothers and people before them were part of equally immoral generation, they simply like to be hypocritical when talking about the younger generation. Just like many of us might also feel like telling our kids that their generation is unnecessarily permissive morally speaking. It is all a lie. Our parents did their own kind of atrocities in their time, they were not saints.

Back to the oyibos, without flogging kids they somehow manage to produce more empathic and more human human beings that build the society. We continue to lay claim on a higher morality in our society yet we keep churning out terrorists, yahoo-yahoo, and corrupt individuals year in year out. It isn't a bad idea to copy their style of raising up kids.

Any data to prove your claims?
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by SeriouslySense(m): 8:49pm On Jan 02, 2021
haha, one of my Uncle, who was harsh to me, when i was young, has created in me, hate, i cannot admire him, even now, that he is old.
But i am inherently nice, and want everything to work, so i try my best not to make the dislike or something like hate be evident, i have tried to forget, but i cannot, I wish i can

descarado:
We beat cos we don't know how to communicate with our kids. Create soured relationships between parents and kids in the future and the cycle continues..

Kids nowadays are very outspoken. U can't silence them with beating and most times if u are patience enough to listen and assimilate, they make better argument than you. How a child should talk back at you is the problem.

U will have a friend if u see your child as a friend and confidant. Look at our society. Our parents beat the hell out of us. Are we better. We are very aggressive, lack patience and inherently wicked. These traits were formed when we were young. Thanks to beating and constant unnecessary nagging.

1 Like

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Kingrefreshed: 8:49pm On Jan 02, 2021
bizme:
I have been involved in quite a number of discussions and debates of this nature where some believe that the only way to bring up children is by beating them. Others believe the opposite is true. I was brought up by parents who considered heavy handedness as a parental virtue and they never spared the rod in dealing with us... I have noticed the same pattern in our educational setting where teachers prefer to communicate their emotion via the cane.
I personally think most of such beating comes from parents' and teachers' inability to rein in their temper, rather than the genuine interest in the child's well being.

I have my little children, and it is not difficult to talk things over with them, and even set up disciplinary measures that don't involve beating.

Looking back over your shoulders, would you say the kind of beating-filled/beating-devoid upbringing you received has affected your relationship with your parents? And would you accept teachers to beat your children anyhow?

I believe I am posting this in the right section.

It is because my parents whooped our asses made us responsible people today.

Back then kids who weren't opportuned to have their parents around always grow up to become drug addicts and criminal's.

I whoop my kids ass even Now. When they get older they will start understanding.

I am not whopping to kill them! Ofcourse it's out of the love I have for them!

We shouldn't copy oyibo 100 over 100!!!!!!!!!
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by DanielPop(m): 8:51pm On Jan 02, 2021
Using the rod, correct the child with love. Measure the time to fit the crime. Let the child know before hand, the penalty for each misdemeanor. After application of the rod, ask the child for lessons learnt. Let the child know that mom/dad loves you and will reward as well as sanction you accordingly. Counsel as required with words or with the rod. Key: correct the child with love.
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by SeriouslySense(m): 8:52pm On Jan 02, 2021
exactly, i just feel uncomfortable with people that flogged me harshly, when i was little, and they wonder why i don't love them

bizme:
Many times the fact that your children comply with your expectations after flogging doesn't mean you have achieved the goal of parenting. Many times it means we have bullied them into submission. Just like many kids would obey a bully in school, not out of reference or understanding, but out of primal fear.

Have you wondered why many children from strict upbringing mess up big time the first time they get to higher institution where no parents are to police them with flogging?

Children are children. They have an independent mind, and it is okay to cultivate communicating with them and even seek other options for exerting discipline like denying them of something they so much desire. Being children, there are many forms this could take.

If we are being objective, most of the flogging of children taking place around involve a scary dose of undisciplined temper on the part of the parent/teacher. Together with so much verbal abuses from them. The same with teachers in school: you explain something to your pupils which they don't understand. Rather than seek ways to communicate effectively, you start caning them blue black as though the process of caning would magically impart understanding.

I am not sure many people had the kind of flogging I had growing up, both at home and in school. It was almost literally a daily phenomenon. All of them out of anger. Yes, I have turned out marvelously well, but that's more in spite of those floggings rather than because of them. I plainly became immune to the beating, and very adept at hiding my terrible deeds. Last year when I told my mum some of those things I had been involved with as a teenager and living away from home, she almost held her head out of fear thanking God that I had survived them. Unfortunately, both of them have destroyed any semblance of friendship that should have existed between us as parents and children.

Our parents should learn to communicate with mouth rather than sticks.

2 Likes

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by merits(m): 8:53pm On Jan 02, 2021
bizme:
I have been involved in quite a number of discussions and debates of this nature where some believe that the only way to bring up children is by beating them. Others believe the opposite is true. I was brought up by parents who considered heavy handedness as a parental virtue and they never spared the rod in dealing with us... I have noticed the same pattern in our educational setting where teachers prefer to communicate their emotion via the cane.
I personally think most of such beating comes from parents' and teachers' inability to rein in their temper, rather than the genuine interest in the child's well being.

I have my little children, and it is not difficult to talk things over with them, and even set up disciplinary measures that don't involve beating.

Looking back over your shoulders, would you say the kind of beating-filled/beating-devoid upbringing you received has affected your relationship with your parents? And would you accept teachers to beat your children anyhow?

Why not? But light beating just to reset their hard disc.
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by SeriouslySense(m): 8:53pm On Jan 02, 2021
las las the kids, will try to forget and some kids who suffered as children, become broken and will love oppression cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by elantraceey(f): 9:05pm On Jan 02, 2021
I'm never using cane on my children. There are a thousand better ways to correct a child.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by thundafire: 9:05pm On Jan 02, 2021
chii8:
The thing is that when sanctioning an erring child, there are one million things to do to get them properly disciplined..it varies with each child, you just have to study them and know what works for such child.

I have a 5year old boy that what works for in terms of discipline is just to "quarantine" him(lolzzz),he will promise you heaven and earth just to be free, the thing scares him seriously.I use that to drive a point....I think it's same with every child just as a parent,be patient and fine out what works for that child....
when the bible says Spare the rod and spoil the child knew why God said it. Crimes have tripled now among youths because of bad home bringing. I will deal mercilessly with my child,wen their cup full. It wouldn't be a daily activities. But if a child wants to be stupid,cane or no cane he/she will be. Judgement time reach God may ask u,how u brought up ur children,then u go dey say na child abuse to discipline them.
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Champagnegold: 9:10pm On Jan 02, 2021
No, I should be petting them, see how our societies is today including the ones you follow as copy cat, if it were not done will you be articulated as you are today. Cause we leave our culture for another's culture courtesy of inferiority.
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Bunsenbun(m): 9:12pm On Jan 02, 2021
What you lots advocating for beating children fail to realise is that the europeans have been there too.They came to realise the folly that a hard whipping will bring about good kids.inflicting physical pain will never bring out the best in children.I heard some people saying their parents whipped them and they turned out fine,you did not.You clearly have gotten used to being battered by your parents,you were used as a means of dispelling their anger.
People say kids are rude to them today,have you ever considered if you were actually being silly?.Yes adults can be silly too.Nigerians need to shed the stupid mentality that "an older person is always in the right".

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Nickymichy(m): 9:14pm On Jan 02, 2021
Let me say this...take it or leave it... We Africans need a little bit of spanking...if you check very well, you will discover that, some children of late 70s, 80s to early 90s have failed as parents...they come up with different argument on how to raise a child forgetting that they were not raised like that...how on earth are you going to raise african children without a little whooping of ass....if you tell oyibo children keep quiet..I bet you...you won't here a word ...but Africans, we always act opposite...my take is that the punishment or thrashing rather, shouldn't be more than the offence the child committed...I noticed last year, each time I come back from work...my daughter will run to me and said... Daddy! Daddy mommy beat me... I will just reply.. it's because u are naughty...now she's stopped reporting... I believed she thought I was going to support her... children are wiser than what we are thinking honestly...may God help and bless all parents...
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by MMXX: 9:14pm On Jan 02, 2021
Exmilitant:
We should all understand that the enviroment plays a key role in determining a child's outcome, wether the rod was used or spared.
Absolutely spot on

1 Like

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jan 02, 2021
I won't beat my children but I flog them when situation demand... There is difference between beating and flogging
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by MMXX: 9:18pm On Jan 02, 2021
Exmilitant:
We should all understand that the enviroment plays a key role in determining a child's outcome, wether the rod was used or spared.
Absolutely spot on

The environment a child grows in sometimes determines the level of his/her unruly nature.Out of sight like they say is Out of Mind.The child grows up to be influenced or emulate their society and immediate environment.

So whether the rod will come into play or not is left to how good or bad it has influenced the child

1 Like

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Okwyjesus(m): 9:18pm On Jan 02, 2021
bizme:

All those saying l don't believe in beating a child you know more than God that said Spare the rod and spoil the child.

That is how western society started. Now their kids are growing very indiscipline. ln as much as l don't support violence and abuse but l have cain and l flog when necessary.

One day my daughter wrote me a lovely letter on my birthday one of the things she said is that she knows l flog to correct them to be better children. Am okay with that

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jan 02, 2021
You're yet to get a single like until now, that should tell you the impression your message has made.

Silly adult...

Bunsenbun:
What you lots advocating for beating children fail to realise is that the europeans have been there too.They came to realise the folly that a hard whipping will bring about good kids.inflicting physical pain will never bring out the best in children.I heard some people saying their parents whipped them and they turned out fine,you did not.You clearly have gotten used to being battered by your parents,you were used as a means of dispelling their anger.
People say kids are rude to them today,have you ever considered if you were actually being silly?.Yes adults can be silly too.Nigerians need to shed the stupid mentality that "an older person is always in the right".
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by authority2006(m): 9:20pm On Jan 02, 2021
bizme:

Nice Topic.
Till today, I still HATE all those teachers who lashed me until my skin would become torn under the school uniforms both in primary and secondary schools. One mad teacher beat me like that while in pry one or two to the extent that I couldn't sleep on my back for about two weeks due to torn skin. Imagine that! Why would I want to raise my children in such manner?
My late brother too also beat the silly out of me, I can't hate him though.
I wanted to go the same route with my first daughter but thank God that I was able to read some materials about parenting that really helped me. I even went as far as reading a material titled "Raising Your Child Without Raising Your Voice" but that proved a little difficult to practise 100%. I'm trying my best anyway not to replace beating with shouting because shouting is as bad as beating.
My first daughter chopped a little beatings before I realised that that way was a wrong way to raise children. Now, it's all about warnings and repeated warnings with kneeling down in extreme cases

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by LordIsaac(m): 9:26pm On Jan 02, 2021
Koboko drives out indiscipline... If not immediately , certainly later. Any child wey refuse to get sense around me will be flogged. Our prisons are there to handle people who were spared the rod as children... And the prison does it without mercy.
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by authority2006(m): 9:26pm On Jan 02, 2021
chii8:
The thing is that when sanctioning an erring child, there are one million things to do to get them properly disciplined..it varies with each child, you just have to study them and know what works for such child.

I have a 5year old boy that what works for in terms of discipline is just to "quarantine" him(lolzzz),he will promise you heaven and earth just to be free, the thing scares him seriously. I use that to drive a point....I think it's same with every child just as a parent,be patient and fine out what works for that child....

Trust me, that method of punishment works with all kids, just that many people don't know it. When I was a bachelor and parents would call me to discipline their children for them, I would simply ask the child to sit with me in my living room. They hate isolation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by jelel6: 9:29pm On Jan 02, 2021
bizme:
Allow me to disagree with you on this. If we are to look at it objectively the oyibos have much better society using both economic and morality parameters to judge. So if we copy the good aspects of their life, it wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Secondly, I don't think immorality is increasing everyday in our society like you have put it. Instead the ready access to the internet makes it easy for us to learn about things we wouldn't otherwise have known. Neither do I believe that this generation is worse than the previous. Our fathers and mothers and people before them were part of equally immoral generation, they simply like to be hypocritical when talking about the younger generation. Just like many of us might also feel like telling our kids that their generation is unnecessarily permissive morally speaking. It is all a lie. Our parents did their own kind of atrocities in their time, they were not saints.

Back to the oyibos, without flogging kids they somehow manage to produce more empathic and more human human beings that build the society. We continue to lay claim on a higher morality in our society yet we keep churning out terrorists, yahoo-yahoo, and corrupt individuals year in year out. It isn't a bad idea to copy their style of raising up kids.

I agree with you on the bolded and the majority of your submission. But not the morality bit.

I once lived in close quarters with two sisters who had a little girl (family member) living with them. Their discipline mechanism for this girl was unbelievable. I woke up 2am to the sound of caning even as far as my own room. I don't sleep early so I noticed this happens quite often. One night, I counted 30-40 strokes of whip. I was greatly disturbed after that night. I would wonder what warrants a beating in such odd hours.

Unfortunately, I only kept a largely professional relationship with both girls so I couldn't find a way to talk about it with them. In fairness, I don't think they do it maliciously as they are quite reasonable and generally kind to the little girl. It's just their idea of discipline I guess.
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by usmantoski(m): 9:36pm On Jan 02, 2021
As for me, I don't support beating a child because a child is not supposed to be beaten because he is neither a drum or an animal. But I suggest what we call constructive beating ;DAs for me, I don't support beating a child because a child is not supposed to be beaten because he is neither a drum or an animal. But I suggest what we call constructive beating. This is the kind of beating that will drive the demon of stubborness from a child without inflicting injuries on him. I still thank my parents and my teachers till today because if not for the floggings I received and the type of hand used in handling me I for don turn vagabond wey politicians go de use as thugs during elections, because me I know say me ma stubborn pass goat � wen I de small.
But the recent trend that most nowadays parent use the zero beating pattern for their kids, we can see the results now in the society, cos I swear children of nowadays no get shingbain respect again
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by staga: 9:36pm On Jan 02, 2021
bizme:

What world are you living in?
Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by KingMack(m): 9:38pm On Jan 02, 2021
We must note that Environment plays a huge factor here!! You can't raise a child in the slums and thinking that beating a child has no impact..I for talk plenty but may God give us the wisdom and financial freedom to raise a child in a more disciplined manner smiley

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by authority2006(m): 9:40pm On Jan 02, 2021
CalliDora1:
Why are most people here making it look like you just wake up and start beating a child for no reason? Of course no one in their right senses would do that. However, I feel it's necessary to employ flogging as a measure of correction when a child is being unruly and obstinate. However, temperance should be observed when meting out such punishment.

Children have the tendency to grow wild and beyond control if not tamed in time. I am product of moderate flogging and it has helped shaped my life for the better.

I once left my after school lessons and ran home to watch Robinhood. That day marked the beginning of the end of running away from lessons as my dad flogged the hell out of my body that day. It made me take my studies seriously.

So a little flogging here and there is not bad.

Most of the beatings or flogging always turned out to be abuse. How many parents (fathers especially), teachers (male especially), older siblings (brothers especially) do beat their kids moderately?
Equally, there's this misconception about the way correct our kids. A kid would that we know have no experience would make mistake for the first time and instead of parents or teachers or brothers/sisters to correct him or her, they would simply resort to beating.

1 Like

Re: Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child? by grim33(m): 9:41pm On Jan 02, 2021
I personally use to steal when I was little.
My dad beat me for it once .
I’ve never stole ever again.

The end.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Women Hide Money From Their Husbands! / Photo: Missing Person - Elizabeth Okocha Missing Since Nov. 23rd / My Ex Wife Kidnapped My Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.