Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,595 members, 7,812,952 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:22 PM

Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? (15141 Views)

Is It Wrong To Cook In My Married Brother's House? / How To Discipline Your Child The Smart And Healthy Way-UNICEF / African Child With Blue Eyes Abandoned By Parents On Suspicion Of Witchcraft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by tiziano(m): 6:33pm On Mar 01, 2021
You can blend both. Never throw away your own culture for another man's culture.
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by SeriouslySense(m): 6:34pm On Mar 01, 2021
Its not all African Children that need an iron treatment, Some actually listen to logic, i believe when i was little, i listened when things are explained to me, I was the type that actually observed a lot, rather than act out.

Nickymichy:
It may sound strange... But the truth is that African children are different from British children.. I once worked in a school where both British and Nigerian attend.. guess what.. when you give simple instructions, na my people dey always break rules... You see other children, well behaved... My conclusion is that Africans are naturally stubborn and most be handled with iron hand.. if treated with levity, I bet you you won't have a good sleep in the future.. there are exceptions though... But very little fraction... African children need to be raised the african way.. which is trashing, lashing to install that moral into them.... I maybe wrong though... But that's my view
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by SeriouslySense(m): 6:40pm On Mar 01, 2021
exactly , there is something to learn from African culture, western culture or others, just make sure you train your children to be decent, respectful, courageous, and balanced, individualism, community, and freedom, the ability to take responsibility for ones actions.

The western culture has the positive and negative, our culture also have the positive and negative. As a parent, you want the best aspects for your child, so he or she grows up, to be someone who is wise.

LordErrk:
There is no best way...so just raise your child the right way.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Sannisege: 6:42pm On Mar 01, 2021
BadRadio:
sure... An American or british polished kid has a lot in their favour than that African kid. Bigger Advantage
inferiority complex
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by blueAgent(m): 6:43pm On Mar 01, 2021
Jashub:
Are you ready to see homosexuality and other vices in the life of your child? If your answer is yes. Then go for western education.

So you do not know the difference between western Education and western way of life
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by SeriouslySense(m): 6:44pm On Mar 01, 2021
Exactly, our culture is not primitive it is sophisticated, Just embrace the best aspects of your culture and learn from other cultures the best aspect. Your culture is part of your anchor, or roots, regardless of other things, when you travel to other countries, they want to know about your roots, and the value of your roots, So make sure you know the value of your culture, so you have a solid anchor.

Know your history, good stories in your culture, your inventions, how you lived, what were the wise sayings, what is your food, your medicine, the meaning of your names, etc, this things are powerful, they are like a differentiation of consciousness.

Think about it, what are you bringing to the table, will you depend on only what others have brought to the table, please value your culture, although we know it has some aspects that are not necessary, but then embrace your journey.

cheesy cheesy cheesy
tiziano:
You can blend both. Never throw away your own culture for another man's culture.
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Jaqenhghar: 6:47pm On Mar 01, 2021
Hanks0000:
I will say you train them the Western way. Not saying Africa way of bringing up a child is mediocre compared to theirs. A child trained in the western way will be more reverend than the one trained the African way and it means more opportunity for that child.

Homesexuality is already on the rise in Africa too so training your child the African way or the Western way won't save him/her from it. That will be a decision for your child to make..

Lets be honest the hypocrites forget that children are no longer raised the African way in Africa.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by NotGej: 6:48pm On Mar 01, 2021
The earlier we realize that that traditional African way of training kids impede development the better for us.

Part of such practice includes torture of young children in the disguise of discipline as have been recorded.

Our ways are outdated and retrogressive in nature. That is, it imbibes that culture of unduly worshipping adults. It entrenches a system of geriatric approach like we have in Nigeria; where undeserving old people are placed on a pedestal. (Eg OBJ, PMB, Tinubu etc). Some of these people are unworthy of positions and respect they get judging by the actions.

So also, our African approach hampers / kills creativity of the African child. The child is conditioned to accept and not question whatsoever thrown at them. In essence, it places a ceiling to what a ‘child’ should attain or achieve. This is why we have a situation where any young person that is seen as doing well and/or with a different view, lifestyle, orientation is hounded and termed a Yahoo boy.

Finalement, the African way of raising kids has done more harm than good in our society today. There is no benefit other than raising kids who are docile, easily manipulated by adult/ parents, etc.

Anybody that supports our very outdated approach suppports crimes against humanity and should be held to account. All humans have equal rights; be it/she/him/they/ them/he/her young or old.
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Yankee101: 6:49pm On Mar 01, 2021
Jaqenhghar:

You have described the average Niggerian celebrity, yahoo boy whom everyone looks up to. Mostly people who were raised in Niggeria.

Yes, because the so called celebrity is copying the so called 'abroad' lifestyle
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by generationz(f): 6:50pm On Mar 01, 2021
Amiteye:
So my kid can walk out on me while am still speaking, make stupid decisions and ask me to mind my business under my own roof, wouldn't feel obliged to say MIGWO when they see elders and absolutely become spoilt brats without them knowing. All that while shielding them from the reallity of the Nigerian way of life, making them smart gullible dumbasses as soon as the step out my door and most importantly from under my wings........

No thank you, africa way it is. Afterall I did not turn out too bad

Lol, have you ever watched supernanny? If not, check it out on YouTube. Do you see how the lady teaches kids not to be disrespectful without beating the child or emotionally abusing the child like Africans and it actually works.

All the beating and so called discipline we received in Africa, why are we the most corrupt? Why can't we make use of our natural resources for development?
The beating and so called morals did nothing to help children of yester years who are leaders today have morals. They turned out so vile and evil. The worst set of people on earth can be found in Africa and among African leaders. Very wicked and vile yet they go to church/mosque every Sunday/friday and pay tithe. Only African leaders oppresses her people. Whites make their people superior to others and use the resources of other continents. Same with Asians.

Discipline my foot.

A white man will talk to the child letting him know where he went wrong. Most white kids have already started working from the age of 13 earning minimum wage which helps them grow up fast. The system is better for those who are more athletic, brilliant, etc. But you think we have better morality and discipline? Discipline that is not moving the continent forward, lol. grin

4 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by bluefilm: 6:50pm On Mar 01, 2021
It's very wrong because when the child grows up s/he will be acting like someone who eats through the anus.
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by SeriouslySense(m): 6:51pm On Mar 01, 2021
Its not too late, to dig deep into our African ways, there were many positive things in it, we just threw everything.

For me i feel a spiritual wisdom when i connect with my roots, i learn my language, the meaning of names, the history , its archeology, etc
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by doxijaw: 6:51pm On Mar 01, 2021
Sterope:
Yeah because the Western culture is always so beautiful, so civilised and so perfect

Western culture isn't beautiful, it's a babaric, hate fueled culture of genocide, wars, dominance hierarchy's, extreme capitalism by proxy of the gun and finance.

African culture was beautiful, but now diluted due to inferiority complex.

The African wants to be westernised, rather than copy the White man strengths, he copies his weaknesses.

Africa will remain backwards but adopt the sickness of the western man.

That's the future.
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by SeriouslySense(m): 6:55pm On Mar 01, 2021
Beating for me is not good, lol.

Rather its how the child perceives the world, and the understanding of responsibility and repercussions, which could be modelled into the child, by talking, explaining, responding to questions, and setting rules and boundaries, while letting the child be a child, its left for the child when he grows up to apply what is right according to his or her ability
generationz:

Lol, have you ever watched supernanny? If not, check it out on YouTube. Do you see how the lady teaches kids not to be disrespectful without beating the child or emotionally abusing the child like Africans and it actually works.

All the beating and so called discipline we received in Africa, why are we the most corrupt? Why can't we make use of our natural resources for development?
The beating and so called morals did nothing to help children of yester years who are leaders today have morals. The worst set of people on earth can be found in Africa and among African leaders. Very wicked and vile yet they go to church/mosque every Sunday/friday and pay tithe. Only Africa oppresses her people. Whites make their people superior to others and use the resources of other continents. Same with Asians.

Discipline my foot.
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Mar 01, 2021
Odoogu:
African culture is deeply laced with moral values, not that immorality doesn't exist, but the upbringing of an African child always harps on that at the very least. being primitive is just lack of exposure and the needs of not wanting to.
Even the British or American have morals with their upbringing, but the liberality could be a bane if not properly handled especially if you live within an African country.
Moral values?

The same country that ranks high on the corruption table, scam, fraud, ritual killing, terrorism, terrible justice system,hypocrisy etc.

Which morality are you talking about? Oh because you know how to greet in the morning and evening? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by SeriouslySense(m): 6:58pm On Mar 01, 2021
You have defined the nature of the western culture, i think, can you also define more clearly the nature of the African culture.

Although you have already classified the "African Culture as beautiful".

I was amazed, that's a good word, can you define the nature of the African culture.

doxijaw:

Western culture isn't beautiful, it's a babaric, hate fueled culture of genocide, wars, dominance hierarchy's, extreme capitalism by proxy of the gun and finance.

The African wants to be westernised, rather than copy the White man strengths, he copies his weaknesses.

That's the future.

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by iamjavadem(m): 6:58pm On Mar 01, 2021
Funny how the moral values are not showing or moving us forward, we need to stop telling ourselves lies.
Odoogu:
African culture is deeply laced with moral values, not that immorality doesn't exist, but the upbringing of an African child always harps on that at the very least. being primitive is just lack of exposure and the needs of not wanting to.
Even the British or American have morals with their upbringing, but the liberality could be a bane if not properly handled especially if you live within an African country.
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Sterope(f): 6:59pm On Mar 01, 2021
That was sarcastic. Neither parenting culture is perfect. There is nothing wrong in emulating some aspects of western parenting especially the ones that encourage independence, responsibility, and individualism (that to an extent).
doxijaw:

That's the future.

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by SeriouslySense(m): 6:59pm On Mar 01, 2021
generationz:

The beating and so called morals did nothing to help children of yester years who are leaders today have morals. They turned out so vile and evil. The worst set of people on earth can be found in Africa and among African leaders. Very wicked and vile yet they go to church/mosque every Sunday/friday and pay tithe. Only African leaders oppresses her people. Whites make their people superior to others and use the resources of other continents. Same with Asians.

Discipline my foot.

Okay
A white man will talk to the child letting him know where he went wrong. Most white kids have already started working from the age of 13 earning minimum wage which helps them grow up fast. The system is better for those who are more athletic, brilliant, etc. But you think we have better morality and discipline? Discipline that is not moving the continent forward, lol. grin
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Eviana(f): 7:00pm On Mar 01, 2021
Jashub:
Apart from homosexuality and vulgar language, what other thing do they have that is superior to ours? undecided

You can't be serious at the bolded shocked

Honestly, I have been called more "vulgar" names (ashawo, olosho, jezebellic-demon, evening newspaper, fool, mad woman, idiot, stupid, dumb etc.) and seen more homosexual "joints/hook-ups/hang-outs" on this here Nairaland than in my entire life in the U.S.! I've had more scams (identity theft, false accusations, lies etc.) played on me on Nairaland than ever in my life. I have had lovely "alleged curses" called on me for no reason other than the kid disagreed with my viewpoint.
Never seen such cruelty, bullying and filth in my life.
I have been shocked to say the least.

I'm not gonna call my country "superior" to any one else's, however, there are a million more opportunities here than in developing countries (including Nigeria)...and that is simply and plainly a "fact".

So, I'm wondering what the "African way" in raising children revolves around, cause if the majority of Nairaland (youth and young adults) is any indication/evidence of that, I thank the Lord for my "western rearing".

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by SeriouslySense(m): 7:01pm On Mar 01, 2021
I see good Reasons on both side of the fence.
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by doxijaw: 7:02pm On Mar 01, 2021
Sterope:
That was sarcastic. Neither parenting culture is perfect. There is nothing wrong in emulating some aspects of western parenting especially the ones that encourage independence, responsibility, and individualism (that to an extent).

The big difference between Africans and europoids is not morality, parenting, culture.

It's ethics!

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Eviana(f): 7:03pm On Mar 01, 2021
Sterope:

Well said..
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by SeriouslySense(m): 7:06pm On Mar 01, 2021
I see you had a rough experience, and it might have been very tough. You may be very sensitive.

But we must not give up.

Eviana:

You can't be serious at the bolded shocked

Honestly, I have been called more "vulgar" names (ashawo, olosho, jezebellic-demon, evening newspaper, fool, mad woman, idiot, stupid, dumb etc.) and seen more homosexual "joints/hook-ups/hang-outs" on this here Nairaland than in my entire life! I've had more scams (identity theft, false accusations, lies etc.) played on me on Nairaland than ever in my life. I have had lovely "alleged curses" called on me for no reason other than the kid disagreed with my viewpoint.
Never seen such cruelty, bullying and filth in my life.
I have been shocked to say the least.

I'm not gonna call my country "superior" to any one else's, however, there are a million more opportunities here than in developing countries (including Nigeria)...and that is simply and plainly a "fact".

So, I'm wondering what the "African way" in raising children revolves around, cause if the majority of Nairaland (youth and young adults) is any indication, I thank the Lord for my "western rearing".

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by DozieSixtus: 7:08pm On Mar 01, 2021
You seem to have made up your mind. Tho I'm commenting on behalf of people sitting on the fence in this same issue.

There isn't much with the American or British way of raising a child. The African way is good in most ramifications. I think it's a matter of esteem that we feel the African way isn't proper. Asians raise their kids not much different than Africans do, and the kids uphold their culture and heritage with much esteem. This is the part we lack the most. A good school and proper coaching will get your child all that is needed to excel under an African way of raising a child.
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by SeriouslySense(m): 7:08pm On Mar 01, 2021
Really, So we may not have Ethics, or principles.

===> Ethics or moral philosophy is a branch of philosophy that "involves systematizing, defending, and recommending concepts of right and wrong behavior". The field of ethics, along with aesthetics, concerns matters of value, and thus comprises the branch of philosophy called axiology

doxijaw:

The big difference between Africans and europoids is not morality, parenting, culture.

It's ethics!

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by SeriouslySense(m): 7:09pm On Mar 01, 2021
I think we have ethics to some degree, its would be alarming is we had no ethics

doxijaw:

It's ethics!

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by doxijaw: 7:10pm On Mar 01, 2021
SeriouslySense:
You have defined the nature of the western culture, i think, can you also define more clearly the nature of the African culture.

Although you have already classified the "African Culture as beautiful".

I was amazed, that's a good word, can you define the nature of the African culture.

Community , family, some socialism, heritage and identity, all lost to religion and westernisation.
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by Eviana(f): 7:14pm On Mar 01, 2021
SeriouslySense:
I see you had a rough experience, and it might have been very tough. You may be very sensitive.

But we must not give up.

I've had a painfully tough time on this site since I joined 4 years and some months ago.
I may be a little sensitive, but most of the behavior was not what I expected from Nigerian youth, young adults or adults.
It disappointed me because it was so uncouth. It's not normal to spew the things that constantly come out of many members' mouths on a consistent basis.

Yes, I am a survivor of verbal, psychological and emotional abuse here.
After several deactivations & re-activations, I finally decided to stay. There is some good on Nairaland (10 percent or so) and in Nigeria....that I choose to believe....
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by SeriouslySense(m): 7:18pm On Mar 01, 2021
Okay, thank you, i think we can build our culture back, according to this aspects, but it should be enhanced
doxijaw:

Community , family, some socialism, heritage and identity, all lost to religion and westernisation.

Family does not become liability.

Community, does not prevent individualism

Socialism, should not prevent critical thinking
Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by DeRay98(m): 7:19pm On Mar 01, 2021
WiszyFraud:
It is totally wrong, because the British/American will not raise their own the African way. . That is inferiority complex!!!

Use Your brain cheesy

Don't mind them....

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Raise An African Child The British Or American Way? by JasperVII(m): 7:23pm On Mar 01, 2021
owbabs:

Yes..sometimes when they misbehave they are sent home to learn good morals
Home to who? Do explain please

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Between Your Mom And Dad, Who Gave You The Real Beating Of Your Life? / Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? / My 16 Year Old Brother Still Bed-wetting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.