Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,195 members, 7,829,273 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:34 PM

Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins (6178 Views)

The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins / Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship / Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by Fezz: 12:08pm On Mar 28, 2021
samuk:

You are solidly on point. Any further debate is a waste of time. The European did Benin a great favour by leaving us 400 years written eyewitness historical accounts which aid us in disproving any modern day forgery, fallacies and fabrications that are based on politics and not history. Benin are probably the only people that can detect these frauds due to these earlier documents, others are not so lucky.

When Ooni and other traditional rulers visited London in the 1950s to discuss the matter of independence, he was reported by British press as the spiritual head of some 3 million Yoruba people, he wasn't reported as the king. There is great difference between a king of a people and the chief priest or spiritual head of the people.

You are right, it was when Awolowo became the premier of western region he consolidated both the position of the spiritual head and most senior western Nigeria king into one and the Ooni was the beneficiary. That was not the only confusion or abuse of power Awolowo did, he also created problems in Warri by elevating the Olu of Itsekiri to Olu of the entire Warri amongst several others of abuse of his power.

The Oba of Benin and his other Delta people saw the handwriting on the wall and pulled all strings to get out of the western region as soon it was possible, only three years after independence. Mid Western people remains the only people in Nigeria that were able to archive this fit.

Now that it appears that some sort of restructuring of Nigeria is inevitable, we must be wearing and on our guard against those our neighbours that are drawing their future Oduduwa or Biafra maps to include Edo and Delta communities.

Edo and Delta have no relationship with either the west or the east, everyone must stay in their region.

Come to think of it, in respect to the oba of benins heads being buried in ife, does it mean in the 400 years existence of Europeans staying in Benin Kingdom, they where never told by the benin people even for once that such rituals takes place each time an oba passes on. In other words the Europeans never heard ofrom such anot important event for 400 years. This begs for questioning because its obvious the benins never had such a sacred relationship with the Yorubas. I wonder what TAO thinks of this, because such important events should never be left out in writing if it truly happened.

Concerning restructuring of the Midwest, I outlined my view on the best way to solve this issue to unit the south south region as one entity, and best person to handle such a fit is the oba of Benin, because the south south will be ripped apart by the South East and South West if care is not taken when the divide eventually comes. I wrote this in one of my earlier comments.
Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by TAO11(f): 12:18pm On Mar 28, 2021
Fezz:
TAO.. the ooni was summoned to lagos as regards to coronation and kingship matters. He's a spiritual leader and he was in the best position to testify on which kings should wear beaded crowns. That is more of a spiritual leader and not a political leader. If he was summoned in respect to identifying which king has so and so plots of land, then I would say he is a political leader.
Wonderful! Suddenly the paper isn’t a fabricated one anymore. Lol.

Only God knows how many back and forth jumping I will force you to do today.

Having said that, if you would have the courage to read that paper, then quote out where he was summoned.

If you would have the courage to dare read that paper, then quote out where coronation came up as a topic.

If you would have the courage to read that paper, then quote out where plots of land came up as a topic.

On the contrary, he was clearly said to be the head of all the kings — including the Alaafin of Oyo and the Oba of Benin.

He was clearly said to be passing judgment (while he wore his own crown) over whether an already self-imposed king has a right to such office.

The key-word there is the right — which the Ooni denied ever giving to that self-imposed king.

The British authorities did not concern themselves over shrine/spiritual issues — perhaps they did in Benin. Lol.

On the other hand, Awolowo was the person that elevated the Ooni status from being the spiritual head of Yoruba kings to also becoming the political overall head. Only Awolowo knows why he made that decision.
As it is obvious, aWoLoWo wasn’t born in 1903 when the Ooni was already the head-king from time immemorial as evidenced by that paper.

Did I expect a Benin person to be capable of using his or her God-given brain? Obviously not.

I’m only writing these so others can behold you all’s dumbness.

1 Like

Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by TAO11(f): 12:20pm On Mar 28, 2021
Truthshots:

The Oni of IFA was summoned because he was a British puppet who would play whatever tune the British wrote down. And if you just take a look at that Oni of IFA who got summoned you will see that the guy was a common native doctor.
I read what that foolish Oni said and it was full with ignorance and aberrations and stupidity.
The guy was an illiterate and a dumb delusional fool.
This one is in extreme sever pain. Buhaha

1 Like

Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by Fezz: 12:23pm On Mar 28, 2021
TAO11:
Your reliance on the word “probably” to make your point makes you sound like: ‘I have zero proof of what I’m talking about, but I am pressed to write something.’ Lol.

In essence, you seek to refute certainty with ‘probably’. Return back here whenever you have certainty (backed with proof) over what you wish to defend.

In other words, anyone could come up with any claim whatsoever and then hide under the word “probably”, yet insisting to gullible like-minds that he has a valid claim.

For example, one could claim Benin probably never had a king until Ovaranmwen’s time because all the writings which seem to imply otherwise are “probably” fabrications by Europeans who have always had an agenda to take over Africa.

Notice how anything is fair if common sense is thrown out of a discussion. Consistency is key, lad. Binis must urgently appreciate the concept of consistency.

Having said that, the Ooni of Ife was invited to Lagos to adjudicate if a certain self-imposed king was rightfully entitled to such high office.

And that paper published in 1903 (before aWoLoWo’s birth) by the Oxford University Press clearly informs every sane and consistent mind of the Ooni’s capacity as the ever-leading monarch of the Yoruba and Benin kings.

Having said that, consider the two important points below:

(1) For over 400 years that the Europeans wrote down the history of the Benins, these names (i.e. Eweka I, Uwuakhuahen, Ehenmihen, Ewedo, Oguola, Edoni, Udagbedo, Ohen, Egbeka, Orobiru, Uwaifiokun, Ewuare I, Ezoti, Olua, Ozolua, Esigie, Orhogbua, Ehengbuda, Ohuan, Ohenzae, Akenkpaye, Akengbedo, Ore-Oghene, Ewuakpe, Ozuere, Akenzua I, Eresoyen, Akengbuda, Obanosa, Ogbebo, and Osemwende) never came up once in connection with the Benin Kingdom.

(2) For over 400 years that the Europeans wrote down the history of the Benins, the word "Onitsha" never came up once in connection with the Benin Kingdom.

(3) Unlike these two points above, there are other more concrete evidence than writings and verbal accounts (i.e. evidence from archaeology) which connects Benin kingdom back to Ife since at least 700 years ago. See links below:

(I) https://www.nairaland.com/6087424/benin-ife-myth-shouldnt-circulated#93803726

(II) https://www.nairaland.com/6234931/why-ikwerres-not-igbo-logic/9#96323798

I can see you are hell bent on talking about this 400 years gap... well, kindly answer this

Come to think of it, ithe is said that the oba of benins heads are buried in ife, does it mean in the 400 years existence of Europeans staying in Benin Kingdom, they where never told by the benin people even for once that such rituals takes place each time an oba passes on. In other words the Europeans never heard about such an important event ever taking place for 400 years. This begs for questioning or don't you think so?
Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by Fezz: 12:27pm On Mar 28, 2021
TAO11:
Okay, I guess now the paper isn’t fabricated anymore. Only God knows how many back and forth jumping I will force you to do today.

Having said that, if you will have the courage to read that paper, then quote out where he was summoned.

If you have the courage to read that paper, then quote out where coronation came up as a topic.

If you have the courage to read that paper, then quote out where plots of land came up as the purpose of his visit.

On the contrary, he was clearly said to be the head of all the kings including the Alaafin of Oyo and your Oba.

On the contrary, he was clearly said to be passing a judgment (while wearing his crown) over whether an already self-imposed king has a right to such office.

The key-word there is the right — which he denied ever giving to the self-imposed king.

The British authorities did not concern themselves over shrines and spiritual matters if that helps — perhaps they did in Benin kingdom. Lol.

As it is obvious, Awolowo wasn’t born in 1903 when the Ooni was already the lead king from time immemorial as evidenced by that paper.

Did I expect a Benin man to be capable of honesty? No I didn’t. I’m only writing these for others, not you per se.

Lol.. sorry to burst your burble, I'm not a Benin man. I'm only making comments from a neutral point of view kiss kiss
Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by TAO11(f): 12:53pm On Mar 28, 2021
Fezz:
Lol.. sorry to burst your burble, I'm not a Benin man. I'm only making comments from a neutral point of view kiss kiss
Fair enough! LMAO

Regardless, you should address my refutation of your fallacies, or denounce your fallacies. You can’t sit on the fence.

You must be willing to own up and take responsibilities. Don’t you think so?

1 Like

Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by TAO11(f): 1:23pm On Mar 28, 2021
Fezz:
I can see you are hell bent on talking about this 400 years gap... well, kindly answer this
Hell bent? No lad. I didn’t bring up the fOuR hUnDrEd yEaRs so-called argument.

I didn’t bring it up because I already understand that it is a logical fallacy — argumentum ex-silentio to be precise.

I’m only reiterating it to you and your folks who brought it up — by forcing you all to be consistent if you all must use such a fallacy as an argument.

But so far, consistency seem to be something which you all evidently lack the ability to respect. Lol.

Come to think of it, ithe is said that the oba of benins heads are buried in ife, does it mean in the 400 years existence of Europeans staying in Benin Kingdom, they where never told by the benin people even for once that such rituals takes place each time an oba passes on. In other words the Europeans never heard about such an important event ever taking place for 400 years. This begs for questioning or don't you think so?
Lol. The Benin style — ‘If you debunk me on one, I will quietly flee and divert to another.

Anyways to address your diversion, the reason why your people didn’t divulge such classified information (that early) is more imaginable & believable than whatever reason is behind why the Europeans (for 400 years) couldn’t find any connection between Benin kingdom and any of the following names:

Eweka I, Uwuakhuahen, Ehenmihen, Ewedo, Oguola, Edoni, Udagbedo, Ohen, Egbeka, Orobiru, Uwaifiokun, Ewuare I, Ezoti, Olua, Ozolua, Esigie, Orhogbua, Ehengbuda, Ohuan, Ohenzae, Akenkpaye, Akengbedo, Ore-Oghene, Ewuakpe, Ozuere, Akenzua I, Eresoyen, Akengbuda, Obanosa, Ogbebo, and Osemwende; and Onitsha city.

Do you have the ability to be consistent and to use your God-given brain? So far, I have good reasons to doubt that you do.

Wait! Why are you pretending like it was the Yorubas who first published such classified information?

No, it was your own people who first divulged such information to the public.

And as my recent research shows, it wasn’t even Chief Egharevba who first divulged such information.

I know you wouldn’t mind throwing him under the bus just to veil what you perceive to be a shameful taint on your history.

Cheers!
Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by samuk: 3:09pm On Mar 28, 2021
Fezz:

Come to think of it, in respect to the oba of benins heads being buried in ife, does it mean in the 400 years existence of Europeans staying in Benin Kingdom, they where never told by the benin people even for once that such rituals takes place each time an oba passes on. In other words the Europeans never heard ofrom such anot important event for 400 years. This begs for questioning because its obvious the benins never had such a sacred relationship with the Yorubas. I wonder what TAO thinks of this, because such important events should never be left out in writing if it truly happened.

Concerning restructuring of the Midwest, I outlined my view on the best way to solve this issue to unit the south south region as one entity, and best person to handle such a fit is the oba of Benin, because the south south will be ripped apart by the South East and South West if care is not taken when the divide eventually comes. I wrote this in one of my earlier comments.

Oba of Benin being buried in Ife is another lie. European actually witness the death of Benin oba and the events surrounding one of such deaths was recorded and no mention of Ife.
Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by Nobody: 3:14pm On Mar 28, 2021
samuk:

Oba of Benin being buried in Ife is another lie. European actually witness the death of Benin oba and the events surrounding one of such deaths was recorded and no mention of Ife.

According to a report which I read, the Oba of Benin was buried in or around his palace in Benin city (the palace back then was as big as a whole town).
Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by TAO11(f): 3:19pm On Mar 28, 2021
Truthshots:
[s]According to a report which I read, the Oba of Benin was buried in or around his palace in Benin city (the palace back then was as big as a whole town)[/s].

samuk:
[s]Oba of Benin being buried in Ife is another lie. European actually witness the death of Benin oba and the events surrounding one of such deaths was recorded and no mention of Ife.[/s]
Only one of such deaths was witnessed ?? LMAO!

Anyways, the burial custom of Benin kings with respect to Ife says the following:

(1) Not all Benin kings received such treatment — It was said to have being done only to the 3rd reign Benin kings.

(2) Such 3rd reign Benin king is said to be buried first in Benin for some period of time before the rites.

(3) The whole of the exhumed corpse (of such 3rd reign Benin king) is NOT to depart for Ife — only the skull.

Don’t misrepresent the received Benin tradition just to promote your timid fraudulent agenda.

Cheers!

Cc: Fezz

1 Like

Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 28, 2021
I just wonder when the British would finally pay a price for burning down Benin city.
Just imagine the level of tourism that we would be witnessing in Benin city if it were not burnt down.
Benin bronze are a marvel, but I think Benin architecture was an even greater marvel.
Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by Nobody: 3:29pm On Mar 28, 2021
By the way, I hear a British team of archeologists would be doing some digging in Benin city this year.
Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by samuk: 3:31pm On Mar 28, 2021
Truthshots:

According to a report which I read, the Oba of Benin was buried in or around his palace in Benin city (the palace back then was as big as a whole town).

Benin actually know where their Obas and great women of the kingdom such as Emota and queen Iden were buried. No oba of Benin was buried in Ife. The Yoruba even created two burial sites, one for female and another for Male obas of Benin. Lol grin

There is a saying in Benin that no one sleeps (is allowed to be buried) in Ogbe except the Oba.
Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by TAO11(f): 3:34pm On Mar 28, 2021
Truthshots:
I just wonder when the British would finally pay a price for burning down Benin city.
It was a punishment on Benin due to Ologboshere’s oversabi — hence its name the punitive expedition.

When Ovoranmwen was summoned to court, he denied sending Ologbosere message in the first place.

So, if Ologboshere’s lineage still exist in Benin, then hold his family members responsible.

After all your Oba denied him. Or was your Oba simply saving his own ass from execution? grin

1 Like

Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by Nobody: 3:35pm On Mar 28, 2021
samuk:

Benin actually know where their Obas and great women of the kingdom such as Emota and queen Iden were buried. No oba of Benin was buried in Ife. The Yoruba even created two buried sites, one for female and another for Male obas of Benin. Lol grin

The extent the yoribas are willing to go to distort history is really making me laugh.
Imagine a "burial site" made with modern cement technology and with English alphabets littered all over it, and these bozos want to claim our medial imperial ancestors used to be buried there in this newly made "burial site"....

Logics is afraid of Yoruba, because they keep giving it a beating.
Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by TAO11(f): 3:38pm On Mar 28, 2021
samuk:
Benin actually know where their Obas and great women of the kingdom such as Emota and queen Iden were buried. ••• There is a saying in Benin that no one sleeps (is allowed to be buried) in Ogbe except the Oba.
Yes, it is expected that your people should know where the decapitated (as well as intact) bodies of your obas were buried in Benin.

That is clearly consistent with what the received Benin tradition says — that is, only the exhumed skulls of your 3rd reign obas are sent to Ife for burial.

No oba of Benin was buried in Ife.
Yes, only their exhumed skulls were buried in Ife according to Benin accounts.

The Yoruba even created two burial sites, one for female and another for Male obas of Benin. Lol. grin
Your lying tongue should actually be cut off.

(1) Now, show me the two burial sites. Listen fraud, do not merely show me two (Benin-related) Ife sites.

Rather, each of the two sites must be shown (at least from Ife narrative) to be a burial site.

(2) Also, please provide me evidence of the Ife narrative which says that Benin had female obas.

[The red highlights are traps for you because I know you are a fraud].

I will give you negative popularity here again like I did to you on another thread some weeks ago.

The desperate insecure lying bas.tard, aka samuk.

1 Like

Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by TAO11(f): 3:44pm On Mar 28, 2021
Truthshots:
[s]The extent the yoribas are willing to go to distort history is really making me laugh.
Imagine a "burial site" made with modern cement technology and with English alphabets littered all over it, and these bozos want to claim our medial imperial ancestors used to be buried there in this newly made "burial site"....

Logics is afraid of Yoruba, because they keep giving it a beating.[/s]
Yes, the present site of Benin palace could not possibly be the same site of old.

My reason: Because the palace of Benin kingdom is obviously mAdE wItH mOdErN cEmEnT tEcHnOlOgY aNd wItH eNgLisH aLpHaBeTs LiTtErEd aLl oVeR tHe PLacE.

Buhaha! grin

1 Like

Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by Fezz: 4:00pm On Mar 28, 2021
samuk:

Great! So there was a European eye witness during the burial of a benin king and no ritual involving incapacitation of the head occured. In other words, he was buried normally. This is all I wanted to know. Thanks
Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by TAO11(f): 4:03pm On Mar 28, 2021
Fezz:
Great! So there was a European eye witness during the burial of a benin king and no ritual involving incapacitation of the head occured. In other words, he was buried normally. This is all I wanted to know. Thanks

TAO11:
Only one of such deaths was witnessed? LMAO!

Anyways, the burial tradition of Benin kings with respect to Ife says the following:

(1) Not all Benin kings received such treatment — It was said to have being done only to the 3rd reign Benin kings.

(2) Such 3rd reign Benin king is said to be buried first in Benin for some period of time before the rites.

(3) The whole of the exhumed corpse (of such 3rd reign Benin king) is NOT to depart for Ife — only the skull.

Don’t misrepresent the received Benin tradition just to promote your timid fraudulent agenda.

Cheers!

Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by Fezz: 4:06pm On Mar 28, 2021
TAO11:

Only one of such deaths was witnessed? LMAO!

Anyways, the burial tradition of Benin kings with respect to Ife says the following:

Don’t misrepresent the tradition just to promote your timid fraudulent agenda.

Cheers!

LOL... but why only the 3rd reign of Benin kings? It sounds folklorist to me, don't you think? If there's no evidence or an eye witness account that such rituals occord then I think it's onlyour right for such information to be flushed out of history completely.
Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by TAO11(f): 4:08pm On Mar 28, 2021
Fezz:
LOL... but why only the 3rd reign of Benin kings? •••
I wonder why the Binis of old decided such number.

Well, as far as I know the Binis of old didn’t inform the public of the rationale behind such number.

The only information we can be sure of (which have reached the public sphere) is that they did practice such custom.

It sounds folklorist to me, don't you think?
It doesn’t matter how it sounds to us, the fact before us is that they passed such information down to us.

What we must be concerned about is: ‘Would they have made up a lie that embarrasses themselves?

No, people will only make up lies if it will in some ways elevate them.

Hence, this is not a lie from the Binis of old.

If there's no evidence or an eye witness account that such rituals occord then I think it's onlyour right for such information to be flushed out of history completely.
In other words, eyewitness account
is the only definition of historical evidence? Is that what you’re saying? Lol.

In that case, there are many things waiting on you to be flushed out of Benin history — e.g. the following names:

Eweka I, Uwuakhuahen, Ehenmihen, Ewedo, Oguola, Edoni, Udagbedo, Ohen, Egbeka, Orobiru, Uwaifiokun, Ewuare I, Ezoti, Olua, Ozolua, Esigie, Orhogbua, Ehengbuda, Ohuan, Ohenzae, Akenkpaye, Akengbedo, Ore-Oghene, Ewuakpe, Ozuere, Akenzua I, Eresoyen, Akengbuda, Obanosa, Ogbebo, and Osemwende

Are you ready to be that illogical? I’m not sure that you are ready to be a joke. Lol.

Historians don’t rely on one type of evidences. Instead, they consult a myriad of evidence such as: multiple independently attested verbal evidence, textual evidence, artifacts, etc.

1 Like

Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by Fezz: 4:11pm On Mar 28, 2021
Truthshots:
Just imagine the level of tourism that we would be witnessing in Benin city if it were not burnt down.
Benin bronze are a marvel, but I think Benin architecture was an even greater marvel.

That is the consequence of war. The Victor does as he pleases and takes the spoils of war. But I think the brits over stepped though by toiling with Benin history. Obviously Benin kingdom depended a lot on their art work because they used it as a means to store their history.
Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by Fezz: 4:17pm On Mar 28, 2021
[quote author=TAO11 post=100284308] It was a punishment on Benin due to Ologboshere’s oversabi — hence its name the punitive expedition.

This is funny.. I agree with you on this one. He obviously did oversabi in this context. I'm sure oba ovaranmwen had a plan in settling it out with the brits peacefully. Like some will say "destiny will always play out its part". It was meant to be.
Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by TAO11(f): 4:18pm On Mar 28, 2021
Fezz:
That is the consequence of war. The Victor does as he pleases and takes the spoils of war. But I think the brits over stepped though by toiling with Benin history. Obviously Benin kingdom depended a lot on their art work because they used it as a means to store their history.
Just as the Operation Python Dance was not a war between Nigeria Army and IPOB; the punitive expedition on Benin is, in the same manner, not a war between two contenders. Even the name settles it.

One party was simply at the receiving end of a punishment — running and hiding; while the other was on the offensive — oppressing the helpless party.

1 Like

Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by TAO11(f): 4:26pm On Mar 28, 2021
Fezz:
This is funny.. I agree with you on this one. He obviously did oversabi in this context. I'm sure oba ovaranmwen had a plan in settling it out with the brits peacefully. Like some will say "destiny will always play out its part". It was meant to be.
Fair! But you seem to have slightly missed the background.

There was no conflict already, so there wasn’t nothing for Overami to settle with the Brits.

The background is that a British team of ‘black’ and ’white’ people were visiting Benin for trade as normal. But it was at a time when Benin was celebrating Igue festival (I believe).

Ologboshere took it upon himself (as was supposed in Overami’s confession) to ambush and murder some members of the incoming team — because no visitor must be seen around during the festival.

Now, there is need for justice — hence the need for the punitive expedition which led to burning, looting, execution, and banishment.

Modified:
In all honesty, I was moved and felt genuinely sad for Ovoramwen when I read the report of the proceedings — how an Ife son was embarrassed before his foreign subjects.

1 Like

Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by Fezz: 4:27pm On Mar 28, 2021
TAO11:
Just as the Operation Python Dance was not a war between Nigeria Army and IPOB; the punitive expedition on Benin is, in the same manner, not a war between two contenders. Even the name settles it.

One party was simply at the receiving end of a punishment — running and hiding; while the other was on the offensive — oppressing the helpless party.

Be it as it may, but the fact still remains the benins gave it a fight and even though it didn't end well for them, at least they can say to themselves that they stood up to fight the brits. Not even the hausas or fulanis in nupe etc could stand up to the brits. The best they did was mount barricades and once the brits broke through the barricades the hausas fled. kiss
Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by TAO11(f): 4:35pm On Mar 28, 2021
Fezz:
Be it as it may, but the fact still remains the benins gave it a fight and even though it didn't end well for them, at least they can say to themselves that they stood up to fight the brits. Not even the hausas or fulanis in nupe etc could stand up to the brits. The best they did was mount barricades and once the brits broke through the barricades the hausas fled. kiss
Again, it’s not a fight from the Binis. It’s a punishment from the British. You keep aggrandizing what is non-existent. Always think NA and IPOB to see this clearly.

Also, the colonial strategy was different in different places. In some places the British had no excuse to destroy them; in some places the strategy was to do exactly that.

For Benin, the violent punishment meted is justified (the British may argue) because some people had been murdered unprovoked.

If such circumstance (or something similar) had been obtainable in Hausaland or Nupeland, then they must have been violently punished too.

And their laypeople today would come on Nairaland to label it as a War between the Great Hausa Race and the British. Lol.

Cordial relationship was the default between the British and the indigenous African kingdoms.

1 Like

Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by Nobody: 4:44pm On Mar 28, 2021
Fezz:

It is only in Nigeria that cowards who didn't dare to stand and fight will mock brave people who stood up and fought till the bitter end.
As I keep saying, Nigerians have a logics different from that of the rest of the world.

And some of them will wallow in their lack of sense untill their last day on earth.

The Yoruba in particular have always carried their cowardice as a badge of honour. And they have always boasted of the fact the British love them (like one loves his domestic animals).

Can you imagine that in the colonial era, the Yoruba would mock other Africans for not looking like British people ?
The amount of madness coming from these uncle Toms is legendary.
Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by TAO11(f): 4:49pm On Mar 28, 2021
Truthshots:
[s]It is only in Nigeria that cowards who didn't dare to stand and fight will mock brave people who stood up and fought till the bitter end.
As I keep saying, Nigerians have a logics different from that of the rest of the world.

And some of them will wallow in their lack of sense untill their last day on earth.[/s]
Tell me the Yoruba kingdom who refused to fight back when attacked (for some reasons) with violence.

[s]The Yoruba in particular have always carried their cowardice as a badge of honour. And they have always boasted of the fact the British love them (like one loves his domestic animals).[/s]
You mean the same Yorubas whom you all accused of marginalizing your naturally weak daddies.

[s]Can you imagine that in the colonial era, the Yoruba would mock other Africans for not dressing like British people ? The level of madness from these uncle Toms is legendary.[/s]
If this have any truth to it, then it is because the Yorubas are the only group brave enough to mock others for whatever reason we please. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by Fezz: 6:27pm On Mar 28, 2021
TAO11:
Tell me the Yoruba kingdom who refused to fight back when attacked (for some reasons) with violence.

You mean the same Yorubas whom you all accused of marginalizing your naturally weak daddies.

If this have any truth to it, then it is because the Yorubas are the only group brave enough to mock others for whatever reason they please.

It's clearly stated here. The brits had already made up their mind to depose the oba of Benin. The oba of Benin and his chiefs already saw this coming and thus the reason for agitation. Philip and his men made matters worse by wanting to break the laws governing the igwe festival. Agbosere took matters into his own hands and the end was inevitable. Sad story though because if the expedition didn't occur Benin Kingdom would have still had complete grip on the whole of South south region till date.

1 Like

Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by TAO11(f): 6:29pm On Mar 28, 2021
Fezz:
It's clearly stated here. The brits had already made up their mind to depose the oba of Benin. The oba of Benin and his chiefs already saw this coming and thus the reason for agitation. Philip and his men made matters worse by wanting to break the laws governing the igwe festival. Agbosere took matters into his own hands and the end was inevitable. Sad story though because if the expedition didn't occur Benin Kingdom would have still had complete grip on the whole of South south region till date.
The British’s motive was to take over everywhere anyways, but they weren’t necessarily going to violently punish anyone first before taking over.

However, Ovoramwen disagrees with you on whether he was against their coming in during the festival.

He maintained in court that he didn’t ask anyone to resist them from coming in.

Whether he was lying in court to save his own ass from execution is another matter.
Re: Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins by Nobody: 1:07pm On Mar 29, 2021

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Miss Akwa Ibom Beauty Queen Dies Under Strange Shocking Situations / Nigerian English & Questionnaire / History Of Urhobo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.