Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man (19097 Views)

I Read This Post And I Feel Ashamed Of My Country...... No Unity And Love Again! / If I Were You,i'd Be Too Ashamed To Mock Change: Oby Ezekwesili (photo) / Oshiomhole Fires Back At Okonjo-Iweala "You Should Be Ashamed..." (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Gayigaskia(m): 11:38pm On Apr 18, 2011
I don't think this is a Hausa problem nor of islam. Niger republic has about 70/% hausa but elections over there never caused violence. Now the only person to blame for this is Mr Buhari himself: Why not come and talk directly to these people to stop the craziness. I'am hausa  and moslim and proud of them, but one thing i'am ashame of in the North is the lack of responsibility of our politicians.

GEJ won fine with me i will praying for him to move this country forward.

Note : Look down there i was a Buhari supporter,but before that i was a Nigerian
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by AkoEja: 11:42pm On Apr 18, 2011
This continuous violence is destroying the North (and Nigeria). The North is devoid of development.

The economy is in tatters

Who will invest in a place where there is always riots?

Who will want to live in such an environment?

Unfortunately, Northern leaders like Buhari, Babangida are all too selfish to think about their People.

What a shame!
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by nagoma(m): 11:47pm On Apr 18, 2011
Sorry I mean 200years and not 2000 hrs. I mean 1711AD and not 11AD Please!
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Kobojunkie: 11:51pm On Apr 18, 2011
SEFAGO:

I created that vignette to show you what his main concern was. But your stance on "basic information" is not what he is worried about. He is calling for formal education in the North having lived in the SW and SE and seeing the opportunities afforded to those who have such an education. Basic Information on what exactly? Farming?  grin You want them to be farmers for life. The world economy left that like err several centuries ago.

I think you should go back and read his earlier posts slowly and carefully- might help  grin

Again, think basic . . . general. Again, I am trying to understand how people . . . we are talking adults and children, could be bombarded with information and still remained largely uninformed.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Kobojunkie: 11:53pm On Apr 18, 2011
Princek12:

learning how to say ABC is different from learning how to form words. learning how to form words is different from learning how to form sentences. learning how to form sentences is different from learning how to form paragraphs. learning how to form paragraphs is different from reading skills and comprehension. all these experiences help you learn how to form your own opinions and challenge existing authorities, if necessary.

You are reasoning like a typical Almajiri, who use what you just said to justify the nonexistence or lack of need of a standard education. You are talking like the people who, for centuries, have formed an education system are silly.

WHAT IN THE WORLD?? I am reasoning like a typical Almajiri? how . . what . . . WOW!! I am lost for words! May I suggest you calm down, take time to digest what is going on and then come back with better packaged responses.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Nobody: 11:58pm On Apr 18, 2011
@SEFAGO, are u a teacher or a lecturer?no flattery but u have a way arranging words with d simplest of logic that even a Pry 1 pupil will understand. Love to be ur friend and maybe share ideas. Pls mail. Kaybob24@gmail.com, @poster, i share ur pain, pele!
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Kobojunkie: 12:00am On Apr 19, 2011
SEFAGO:

Thats more early stage cognitive learning and is not even the close to the right example ( considering the fact that your example is that of a baby where language and character development is even much faster, as an adult those two are firm set for most). We are talking of reasoning - reasoning is no way innate but learned by trial and error and experience. Just listening to radio without even some education to give you a background on what you are learning on does not make sense.

I think the example works for the post it was in response to. We are told to believe that the average Northerner(children and adults alike) are bombarded with information regularly. It makes sense to believe, based on sampling this information, that some of it will actually hit the target. Now listening to some of the information dispensed by some of the stations, you understand that no reasoning on the part of the recipient is required.

SEFAGO:

Why did you mention farming also for crying out loud? Come to think of it, the farming does not make sense. Assume that you listen to a weekly show on "How to farm" everyweek how are you going to commit such a large info to memory if you cannot write? Most Hausa cannot write in any language. Implementing what you learn on radio is not possible.
Farming was used as an example of the kind of basic information available to many in the North. Again, the information passed on, on the most part does not require the listeners to commit to memory complicated records or steps. If you listen to any of the radio broadcasts meant for the masses, you will clearly get the idea that the messages are not meant for the sophisticated minds but really for the basic listener.

SEFAGO:

I think the OP was talking about political information not "Farming"

Go back and read his post even more slowly

Who told you they had "Choice" in the true meaning of the word? As for their political agenda are they the first ethnic group to have a political agenda? Dont SW/SS/SE have political agendas? As for religious agendas well that is another story entirely  cheesy

I introduced the question on political and religious awareness as someone made claim that compared to southerners, the average illiterate Northerner was more politically and religiously aware(Note: not informed) than the average illiterate Southerner.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by igboboy1(m): 12:03am On Apr 19, 2011
Gayigaskia:

I don't think this is a Hausa problem nor of islam. Niger republic has about 70/% hausa but elections over there never caused violence. Now the only person to blame for this is Mr Buhari himself: Why not come and talk directly to these people to stop the craziness. I'am hausa  and moslim and proud of them, but one thing i'am ashame of in the North is the lack of responsibility of our politicians.

GEJ won fine with me i will praying for him to move this country forward.

Note : Look down there i was a Buhari supporter,but before that i was a Nigerian

your reasoning is flawed, infacts it makes more sense being 70% muslim that Niger republice should be free from violence since most likely their leaders will all be  muhammedist and no an infidel, But in Nigeria where these hausa muslims have labeled it haram for a non muslim to rule them (which i cant blame them since their koran and sharia has concuirred with this reasoning), it is very much a religious and ethnic problem
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by akinolasam: 12:06am On Apr 19, 2011
@poster

You may be one of the few (or some) Hausa who has a liberal mind.
was once saved from a group of group of Hausa hoodlums by a young Hausa man.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Nobody: 12:09am On Apr 19, 2011
Ope $:

@ nuzo:

Well said.

@ everyone:

Most times, Nairaland is a place where we read each other's minds.
I've done that for years without posting much.
But today, I think we are pouring out a lot here.

The simple truth is that the poster made a clear 'personal' confession.
I believe he is honest. And I have seen comments of praises here for that singular act.
But I also believe that not all of us are that honest.

The Southerners can NEVER understand how the mixture of religion with tribalism works in the north and vice versa goes to the Northerners.
But the shame here is that most of the KIND of development we truly want is coming from the south-west - the same people that
arguably have the best education.
Now, tell me that the northerners are educated one more time - impossible!
Yet they have retained power for so long to achieve little for this country of destiny.

I can tell you: As a young scholar in 1997, I once marked SSCE scripts coming from the North, I saw no iota of education!!!
I even fear that even if we educate the entire north VERY WELL, they will still roll out their political and religious agendas.
So what's the point. They CHOSE to be that way and have no plans for repentance!

Then its safe to conclude that the poster is not being honest with his opinion.

Princek12:

What is your point, Kobojunkie? Is it that listening to Arabic radio (as a good chunk of those Northerners don't speak English) that provides information from an Islamic perspective--possibly an extremist perspective--is equivalent to getting an education from nursery all the way to secondary school, possibly to the university? Please clarify.

But the poster made it clear that they listen to other international radio stations with no Islamic perspective.
If this is true, what is the use as Kobo has asked. If not true, it then means the poster is not saying the truth.

Princek12:

It is one thing to be exposed to information. It is another thing to listen to the information, digest it, critique it, and offer counterarguments if necessary. It is called reasoning. Not having an education does not prepare your mental faculties to be able to reason, which is why advanced countries understand the importance of education and create laws that require parents to take give their children education.

What level of education does one really need to have to be able digest and critique a given info. . . especially when the info is translated well in a language one can understand too well?

SEFAGO:

You should ask your/our forefathers  why they spent centuries unable to do anything scientifically creative except live in mud huts with teeny weeny towns that modern day afrocentrists are now calling kingdoms .  

Are you saying that mental capability of of my forefathers who had no radio, nothing at all to copy or learn from can be put at per with northerners who already have access to info devices but just play them for the fun of it?

You should also ask the over 200 million+ black Africans who access to TV and radio if they are just playing radio and TV for fun and why are they still backwards in science and technology, not just only Hausa people.

No probs bro. . . I can state a few factors to that result;
1. Laziness.
2. Wickedness.
3. Selfishness.
4. Discrimination.

Now, can you conveniently say the same of people who listen to well translated info, yet think they need to attend Oxford to digest it?

Or instead maybe it might be a better idea for Nigerian leaders and Nigerians who spend tons of time sitting down watching CNN and see all the development going on in the west to push for education in the North as an important part of their agenda and not building rubbish like International airports and asking for crap like additional state creation to "balance things out". One thing at a time

That my friend is One Nigeria  Grin

One thing at a time is to first push eduction from the west to the north? By who; a nigerian president or a northern president? Why do you think that will "balance things out"? Is state creation crap to you cos six states in your zones get all what is due to them, while those in the southeast are five and hereby not well represnted in the fraudulent federal character and quota system?

Unfortunately, most of the so called leaders have been the ones inciting and sponsoring violence in the north.

With this, one can safely conclude that misinterpretation of info from international radio stations by "uneducated" northerners has never been the problem as the poster would have us believe, but that the poster is simply lying about where the prob is coming from.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by jakigaga(m): 12:14am On Apr 19, 2011
I dont feel ashamed to be called a hausaman or cattle rearer or aboki or mallam,am also not ashamed of my religion.i dont like the violence but what do you think would happen if you have millions of unemployed and a few elite with money to throw around.they had it coming for years.change was need and i think this election served as the catalyst.it is time for them to act and save the future of their children.40yrs and we have nothing to show for it except a greedy elite.maybe now we can have trained teachers for our children,health care and housing for our people.our leaders will now sit up knowing that the monsters that they have created will surely consume them someday.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by FILEBE(m): 12:32am On Apr 19, 2011
jakigaga:

I dont feel ashamed to be called a hausaman or cattle rearer or aboki or mallam,am also not ashamed of my religion.i dont like the violence but what do you think would happen if you have millions of unemployed and a few elite with money to throw around.they had it coming for years.change was need and i think this election served as the catalyst.it is time for them to act and save the future of their children.40yrs and we have nothing to show for it except a greedy elite.maybe now we can have trained teachers for our children,health care and housing for our people.our leaders will now sit up knowing that the monsters that they have created will surely consume them someday.
and is there no other way to express this other than violence?
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Princek12(m): 12:32am On Apr 19, 2011
the article below will hopefully shed some light on the why almajiri school system that is so pervasive in the North should be outlawed. the almajiri system teaches pupils to learn the Quran at a young age, which is pretty much all they learn.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7796109.stm
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by igboboy1(m): 12:35am On Apr 19, 2011
jakigaga:

I agree with you 40years an nothing to show but who was in the power for those 40 years?

In a fair world i would have voted for buhari cos i think he has the most credibility out of all three candidates. BUT WHAT IS GOOD FOR THE GOOSE IS ALSO GOOD FOR THE GANDER, AFTER HAUSA HAVE RULED THIS COUNTRY 90% OF THE TIME WITH NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT THEY SHOULD EXPEXT JONATHAN TO BE A SAINT.

SAMETHING WITH THE ODUA ACN, I SUPPORT THEM IN FERVOR FOR CHANGE, BUT THIS FERVOUR WAS NO WHERE TO BE FOUND DURING THEIR SONS TENURE, YES THERE WERE OPPOSITION IN YORUBALAND TO OBJ BUT NEVER AS STRONG AS THIS,

SO WHAT I AM SAYING IS IT WEHN YOU DONT HAVE YOUR SON IN POWER THATS WHEN YOU REALISE NIGERIA NEEDS SOME DRASTIC CHANGE? WE'VE BEEN NEEDING CHANGE SINCE INDEPENDENCE BUT IF THE YORUBAS AND HAUSAS CAN ENJOY ASO ROCK WITH NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT, THEN AN IJAW MAN HAS 110% (AS PART OF THE REVENUE REGION OF THIS COUNTRY) TO OCCUPY ASO ROCK AND CHOP MONEY

YOU THINK SAY NA ONLY THE ABIOLAS AND ABACHAS LIKE MONEY? GUY BONE O ME I LIKE MONEY TOO, BROS J LIKE MONEY, O' WUGO
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Princek12(m): 12:35am On Apr 19, 2011
jakigaga:

so what do you think should be the solution to the problem in the North?
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by SEFAGO(m): 12:37am On Apr 19, 2011

I think the example works for the post it was in response to. We are told to believe that the average Northerner(children and adults alike) are bombarded with information regularly. It makes sense to believe, based on sampling this information, that some of it will actually hit the target. Now listening to some of the information dispensed by some of the stations, you understand that no reasoning on the part of the recipient is required.

First of all the OP stated info- info is quite ambiguous. First of all here is your question on the first page:

@Poster, here is a good question for you. Is it true that the average Hausa person(majority would be the poor people) up north is both politically and religiously educated? Moreso then their counterparts in the south?

Hausa are politically active. An average hausaman listen to 4 international radio station 3 times a day. Radio France, BBC, German radio, VOA, radio china and Iran. Given the above you expect them to be politically and internationally updated nd informed. On the side of religious well, I ve seen a lot of learned Islamic Cleric from the SW. But then the north has always produce the most learned Islamic scholars in 9jah. But the difference here is that a yoruba muslin has an additional advantage I.e. Education which enables you make rational decisions even when mislead by fanatical imans. This is what we are lacking in the north.

You asked about politics. First of all I would state I have a different view of political education. The popular notion on Nairaland is that political education is about knowing/being aware of political affairs both current and historic. My opinion of political education is being strongly versed in political theories and standard ideologies. I would assume that your question was framed within the nairaland context and it would be safe to assume that you wanted to know if the North were politically aware of what happens both within and outside Nigeria in terms of current affairs (What you guys term political education). The OP has made you aware that the North is aware of what goes on "politically" in Nigeria.

Yes, it will hit the target but what type of information are you talking about anyways? One needs reasoning to understand the finer points of any sort of information one receives.

Farming was used as an example of the kind of basic information available to many in the North. Again, the information passed on, on the most part does not require the listeners to commit to memory complicated records or steps. If you listen to any of the radio broadcasts meant for the masses, you will clearly get the idea that the messages are not meant for the sophisticated minds but really for the basic listener.

But this is about "political information." Infact shyt supposedly started to happen when they heard wrong political information and misinterpreted its meaning:

BBC HAUSA SERVICE CONNECTION
The BBC Hausa Service has been blamed for the riots and confusion in Adamawa State following its alleged broadcast that CPC presidential candidate, General Muhammadu Buhari had won the election in Adamawa State when the electoral commission in the state was still collating results.
The Special Adviser to the Adamawa State Governor Aminu Iyawa told journalists that the BBC broadcast was orchestrated to cause mischief and chaos. He said violence erupted after the electoral commission announced Goodluck Jonathan of the PDP as winner in the state.
Reports from our correspondent in Adamawa say the state government has imposed a 24-hour curfew in the state after riots broke out in various parts.

Dont know if the above is true but I think is sufficient to pass the point.

I introduced the question on political and religious awareness as someone made claim that compared to southerners, the average illiterate Northerner was more politically and religiously aware(Note: not informed) than the average illiterate Southerner.

Could be true or could be completely false. No evidence for such neither is counterfactual evidence available. Maybe from his experience that has been the case. I dont know too much about Hausa culture to know about their interests to be honest.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by alexleo(m): 12:48am On Apr 19, 2011
@Alj.Uche,
you people think that the name Buhari makes any sense in the east? Let me tell u we are  surprised that CPC got over 1000 votes in the east because we dont care about Buhari here in the east. Did he even run a robust campaign in the east like GEJ and here he is doubting the results from the east. Your hausa brothers here travelled massively to the north on thursday and friday to go and vote. The few that remained here were busy selling sweet, chewing gum and pure water to us as we voted. Infact in the ward where i voted , cpc got about 8 votes while jonathan got 2,959 votes. So whats the noise u northerners are making.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by juliusczar(m): 12:49am On Apr 19, 2011
I think you are a fool at 40, therefore you are sick and infected from an incurable disease.   Don't come to NL and impersonate yourself as an HAUSA MAN, most of you passing all sorts of comments we no you by the absolute ignorance you display even in an international arena like this. The youths in north are no protesting because BUHARI is a muslim and a northerner but because their mandate was stolen by greedy politicians whose efforts are solely devoted at looting public treasury.   All the youths want is let the process be democratic in all its facets. You fool, PDP  looted several billion dollars from public treasury for themselves and their criminal families. You were born in Nigeria, grew up here without traveling to anywhere. My advice for most of you is travel to just Ghana and see things for yourself then I believe you will be ashamed.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Kobojunkie: 12:50am On Apr 19, 2011
SEFAGO:

First of all the OP stated info- info is quite ambiguous. First of all here is your question on the first page:

You asked about politics. First of all I would state I have a different view of political education. The popular notion on Nairaland is that political education is about knowing/being aware of political affairs both current and historic. My opinion of political education is being strongly versed in political theories and standard ideologies. I would assume that your question was framed within the nairaland context and it would be safe to assume that you wanted to know if the North were politically aware of what happens both within and outside Nigeria in terms of current affairs (What you guys term political education). The OP has made you aware that the North is aware of what goes on "politically" in Nigeria.

Nope! My question was simply to help me gain a better understanding of the @Poster's view on Political awareness as regards the average illiterate Hausa's individual. Look I came in assuming to learn much of the average illiterate Hausa who the poster claims is more politically and religiously aware, in addition to being bombarded with information at least 3 times a day.

SEFAGO:

Yes, it will hit the target but what type of information are you talking about anyways? One needs reasoning to understand the finer points of any sort of information one receives.
I think we have addressed the issue of type. I used the political, the religious, and even the basic information examples to try to explain this. At this point, I think it matters what the type is . . . what I know is that there some information sources out, and according to the @Poster, the average illiterate Northerner not only has access to the sources, but is privy to information at least 3 time a day.

SEFAGO:

But this is about "political information." Infact shyt supposedly started to happen when they heard wrong political information and misinterpreted its meaning:

Dont know if the above is true but I think is sufficient to pass the point.
Nope!! This discussion is not really about the current crisis in the north but about the North in general. These folks, according to the poster, have access to about 4 INTERNATIONAL radio channels and so get the news and feeds from such stations as BBC Hausa, VOA etc.

SEFAGO:

Could be true or could be completely false. No evidence for such neither is counterfactual evidence available. Maybe from his experience that has been the case. I dont know too much about Hausa culture to know about their interests to be honest.

I am trying to learn the truth! And what better way than to hear it straight from a Hausa !cheesy
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by jakigaga(m): 12:51am On Apr 19, 2011
violence will never be the solution.do you guys think that people enjoy this killings?i have lost a cousin to this rubbish.5 people were shot in my area today.for me the solution is education
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by igboboy1(m): 12:51am On Apr 19, 2011
alexleo:

@Alj.Uche,
you people think that the name Buhari makes any sense in the east? Let me tell u we are  surprised that CPC got over 1000 votes in the east because we dont care about Buhari here in the east. Did he even run a robust campaign in the east like GEJ and here he is doubting the results from the east. Your hausa brothers here travelled massively to the north on thursday and friday to go and vote. The few that remained here were busy selling sweet, chewing gum and pure water to us as we voted. Infact in the ward where i voted , cpc got about 8 votes while jonathan got 2,959 votes. So whats the noise u northerners are making.

Nna e ne ge ya nti?, i am surprised those 8  votes where from the mallam selling you people sweet okwa ya?  grin
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by SEFAGO(m): 1:12am On Apr 19, 2011
Are you saying that mental capability of of my forefathers who had no radio, nothing at all to copy or learn from can be put at per with northerners who already have access to info devices but just play them for the fun of it?

How did the Asians and Europeans develop? grin

Did someone bring education to them? Or maybe a series of events- war, famine e.t.c drove the need for such development. Necessity brings about creativity. The fact that your forefathers saw no need to live their mudhuts and start "civilizing" tells you that an impetus is usually required for such things

No probs bro. . . I can state a few factors to that result;
1. Laziness.
2. Wickedness.
3. Selfishness.
4. Discrimination.

Now, can you conveniently say the same of people who listen to well translated info, yet think they need to attend Oxford to digest it?

Lol excuses for being mediocre at best? Just say you are inferior to . . .oops I nearly said it

One thing at a time is to first push eduction from the west to the north? By who; a nigerian president or a northern president? Why do you think that will "balance things out"? Is state creation crap to you cos six states in your zones get all what is due to them, while those in the southeast are five and hereby not well represnted in the fraudulent federal character and quota system?

Yes a Nigerian President. The North is part of Nigeria, if the Nigerian president pushes mandatory education in the North upto secondary school level and invest heavily in it instead of sharing money around the PDP maybe it could have some effect. If some of these Northerners are allowed to read literature by Chinua Achebe and other authors around Nigeria as a high school requirement they might not be so bored to take up arms- they might think- wait- why should we do that? Why should it kill when it could wreck our future. One with a future would be less likely to kill than a generation which has nothing to look forward to.

Kai tribalism don eat your mind no be small. Who told you I was talking about the SE, I was thinking of another country grin

Nope! My question was simply to help me gain a better understanding of the @Poster's view on Political awareness as regards the average illiterate Hausa's individual. Look I came in assuming to learn much of the average illiterate Hausa who the poster claims is more politically and religiously aware, in addition to being bombarded with information at least 3 times a day.

Really. I think another poster not the OP made that claim. The OP explicitly said "No" and elaborates on this by explaining that the Hausa do get political information from the station but do not have the formal education or reasoning to interpret this information.

I think we have addressed the issue of type. I used the political, the religious, and even the basic information examples to try to explain this. At this point, I think it matters what the type is . . . what I know is that there some information sources out, and according to the @Poster, the average illiterate Northerner not only has access to the sources, but is privy to information at least 3 time a day.

Which of them, the OP or the Basseti? You are being a bit nebulous and I am getting kind of confused. If you are bring some prior debate from another thread into this once at least be give sufficient background on your points. You are hopping about and I dont know what particular form of "information" and why it is even a point in this thread to be honest. The thread is an apology with respect to what the mayhem which is currently happening in the North. Such mayhem is in no way new to the North and usually occurs during periods of political tension within (like now) and outside (european cartoonist with a wicked sense of humor).

I think you have derailed the thread kobo, if you wanna talk about basic information like gardening or cooking or farming, I will be delighted to do so with you anytime on another thread of cause. I know your womanly instincts are calling out to something you might be more familiar with.

Nope!! This discussion is not really about the current crisis in the north but about the North in general. These folks, according to the poster, have access to about 4 INTERNATIONAL radio channels and so get the news and feeds from such stations as BBC Hausa, VOA etc.

Exactly, news feed which are all usually about "political information." Politics was drawn into the debate because of the current crisis in the North. The OP is trying to explain to you that the inability to interpret these political information which could range from totally bogus facts to fleshy political info. The average Northerner is unable, and pardon my cliche, to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I am trying to learn the truth! And what better way than to hear it straight from a Hausa !cheesy

While the truth, and my Oscar Wilde kicks in again grin, is rarely pure and simple, nevertheless this one is as simple as your previous example- "ABC."

The OP has laid down the main issue for you, but you are prodding him trying to find an answer to a question that is not even properly framed.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by FILEBE(m): 1:17am On Apr 19, 2011
@poster. U should not be ashamed of who ever you are or where you come from. You are not an Hausa by chance neither am i a Yoruba by chance nor Chukwudi an Igbo by chance too. Walahi, i don't understand the Hausas or Fulani o. I remembered the Ketu fight in lagos some years ago. The hausa guard was the one that killed his owner! These Hausas i observe follow whoever they think knows better than them hook,line and sinker. They will prefer to suffer,impoverish themselves just to have one of them at the top. Not minding if the person remembers them or not. I believe they view themselves as better than other tribes or what do you think?
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Kobojunkie: 1:31am On Apr 19, 2011
SEFAGO:

Really. I think another poster not the OP made that claim. The OP explicitly said "No" and elaborates on this by explaining that the Hausa do get political information from the station but do not have the formal education or reasoning to interpret this information.
Which of them, the OP or the Basseti? You are being a bit nebulous and I am getting kind of confused. If you are bring some prior debate from another thread into this once at least be give sufficient background on your points. You are hopping about and I dont know what particular form of "information" and why it is even a point in this thread to be honest. The thread is an apology with respect to what the mayhem which is currently happening in the North. Such mayhem is in no way new to the North and usually occurs during periods of political tension within (like now) and outside (european cartoonist with a wicked sense of humor).

I don't think I am hopping about at all. @Nuzo did not have difficulty understanding where I was coming from.

PAGE #1

I came in on this thread asking the @OP with the question below -- something I thought @Basseti meant when he stated on another thread that average illiterate northerner was more politically and religiously aware.

@Poster, here is a good question for you. Is it true that the average Hausa person(majority would be the poor people) up north is both politically and religiously educated? Moreso then their counterparts in the south?
The @OP answered NO!

Then I came back again, with this post from the other thread where the claim from @Basseti was made
Basseti:

Ok, let me put it another way. Maybe U will get it now.

The average uneducated hausa man is more "religiously and politically" aware than say the average uneducated Igbo or Yoruba man.

Before U throw your pants on fire, do a little bit of sampling.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-648907.480.html

To that, the @Op responded
13volts:

Hausa are politically active. An average hausaman listen to 4 international radio station 3 times a day. Radio France, BBC, German radio, VOA, radio china and Iran. Given the above you expect them to be politically and internationally updated nd informed. On the side of religious well, I ve seen a lot of learned Islamic Cleric from the SW. But then the north has always produce the most learned Islamic scholars in 9jah. But the difference here is that a yoruba muslin has an additional advantage I.e. Education which enables you make rational decisions even when mislead by fanatical imans. This is what we are lacking in the north.

And since then, I have been trying to understand his assertion . . . Hence the questions directed at the @OP.

SEFAGO:

I think you have derailed the thread kobo, if you wanna talk about basic information like gardening or cooking or farming, I will be delighted to do so with you anytime on another thread of cause. I know your womanly instincts are calling out to something you might be more familiar with.
I didn't derail the thread at all . . . I have simply been trying to get a good back and forth going with the @OP who happens to be Hausa and hence a better source on an hausa point of view.
SEFAGO:

Exactly, news feed which are all usually about "political information." Politics was drawn into the debate because of the current crisis in the North. The OP is trying to explain to you that the inability to interpret these political information which could range from totally bogus facts to fleshy political info. The average Northerner is unable, and pardon my cliche, to separate the wheat from the chaff.
While the truth, and my Oscar Wilde kicks in again grin, is rarely pure and simple, nevertheless this one is as simple as your previous example- "ABC."
The OP has laid down the main issue for you, but you are prodding him trying to find an answer to a question that is not even properly framed.
No, news and OTHER feeds. NOT just political . . . . I understand what the @OP is trying to say only there is a disconnect that I need him to explain . Hence the back and forths. Don't worry about us . . . we will do fine!
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by jakigaga(m): 1:35am On Apr 19, 2011
FILEBE:

@poster. U should not be ashamed of who ever you are or where you come from. You are not an Hausa by chance neither am i a Yoruba by chance nor Chukwudi an Igbo by chance too. Walahi, i don't understand the Hausas or Fulani o. I remembered the Ketu fight in lagos some years ago. The hausa guard was the one that killed his owner! These Hausas i observe follow whoever they think knows better than them hook,line and sinker. They will prefer to suffer,impoverish themselves just to have one of them at the top. Not minding if the person remembers them or not. I believe they view themselves as better than other tribes or what do you think?

we do not prefer to suffer and impoverish ourselves.we have leaders and have followed them foolishly thinking they had our interest at heart.but now we have realised that they only work for themselves.by the way we do not think we are better than any other tribe.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by jakigaga(m): 1:40am On Apr 19, 2011
@kobojunkie not everyone that is priveledged to information will use it.there are alot that will hold their own intellectually.some listen to the radio cos its a trend while odas listen to it to get information.
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by lepasharon(f): 1:40am On Apr 19, 2011
why u no go b ashamed, 

1.your ppl refuse 2 be educated, na una ppl dey bring d country down.

2. u just go dey do una own tin lyk say evrybody else no mata, u come get your own film industry as if nollywood no cater 4 all tribe 4 naija. na wetin?

3.your refuse 2 drop dat sharia law nonsense and embrace civilization .na u b d onli muslims?
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Kobojunkie: 1:42am On Apr 19, 2011
jakigaga:

@kobojunkie not everyone that is priveledged to information will use it.there are alot that will hold their own intellectually.some listen to the radio cos its a trend while odas listen to it to get information.

Are you from the North as well? Because I am trying to both understand the level of exposure to information people in the North really have and also, get a better idea of how much of the population actually retain the information we speak of.

What percentage do you think will hold their own intellectually? What percentage of the average illiterate Hausa man, and what percentage do you think probably takes the radio as simply a trend tool and nothing more?
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by jakigaga(m): 1:47am On Apr 19, 2011
lepasharon:

why u no go b ashamed, 

1.your ppl refuse 2 be educated, na una ppl dey bring d country down.

2. u just go dey do una own tin lyk say evrybody else no mata, u come get your own film industry as if nollywood no cater 4 all tribe 4 naija. na wetin?

3.your refuse 2 drop dat sharia law nonsense and embrace civilization .na u b d onli muslims?

1.Refuse? too harsh a word to use.have you ever visited any school in anypart of northern nigeria?
2.you should also tell the yoruba's to stop making movies in their language
3.Sharia law is what you get in many muslim countries and yet they are educated and civilised so what are you saying?
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by jakigaga(m): 1:53am On Apr 19, 2011
I am from Kano state.Thanks for trying to understand,like the poster said alot of people have access to information via radio 3 times a day.its one thing to listen and its anoda to use it.most of the youth that go on rampage are just groomed to do just that.i would say about 40% intellectually,20% trend and 20% who wait for rumors
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by MeAboki(m): 2:00am On Apr 19, 2011
Honestly, I just couldn't wait to read through all the comments from the beggining of this thread, the headline alone was enough for me.

@ Poster have read your many posts but never felt inclined to comment or reply until now. You certainly come across as an intelligent, matured and grounded person and never also had I cause to disagree with you until now.

I am really surprised and disappointed that you would be so ashamed of your of your own roots to the extent that you would even publicly acclaim it. I also feel your enbarrassment and disappointment associated with our people, because no culture should be proud of or condone violence in any form.
Perhaps you may have been overcome d by emotions to have made such statement, and that much of an excuse I could concede to you; otherwise I equally would feel ashamed that you are indeed a Hausa man. sad

In fact, even the the people you were falling over backwards to appease have noted the folly in your judgement and thankfully were generous enough to correct it.

Political violence as in the present circumstance is not the exclusive preserve of the North or Hausa land. Name any regon of Nigeria that had not been stained by a history of violence or for that matter, any part of the world (including the so called civilised Western Europe and America). It may certainly not be the best method of expressing disappointment but could be understandable depending the degree of provocation, such as in the present situation where people genuinely felt disenfranchised - and with good reason.

I would have gladly apologised to the Southerners in this forum for the violence, if only we were dealing reasonable people; but the level of naked bigotry and insults (unlike you) makes me feel otherwise.

Yes, there was political violence in the north, and so what! Was it directed at Southerners? No, but at PDP, the party of corruption and the bane of our ills for the past 12 years. And who were the victims? Was it was not big Northern politicians mainly from the PDP party?

Northerners for once stood up to their corrupt leaders to say enough is enough. How many of such leaders would tomorrow feel comfortably safe enough to be involved in such fraud against their own people? I do not condone the violence but certainly feel that a lesson has been learnt by those that provoked it. And this may be the dawn of a new beginning when Northern leaders would start becoming accountable to their people.

I for one would NEVER NEVER be ashamed to be a Hausa man or a Muslim no matter the circumstances - NEVER EVER! cool cool cool cool
Re: At Times I Feel Ashamed As A Hausa Man by Kobojunkie: 2:05am On Apr 19, 2011
jakigaga:

I am from Kano state.Thanks for trying to understand,like the poster said alot of people have access to information via radio 3 times a day.its one thing to listen and its anoda to use it.most of the youth that go on rampage are just groomed to do just that.

So, you are not saying that they are necessarily informed then. If this is right, then I have to ask, why call for education when basic education is resisted on a daily basis up there??

I use an example from another thread . . , I remember earlier in the 2000's when a campaign was in place by Unicef to eradicate Polio(I believe it is still ungoing). I know that the radios, and media were constantly used to try to educate people on this, and the benefit of the vaccine to the people. I also know thousands of radios were shared by this program to get information to the remote parts of the North as well. I personally listened to some of the campaign jingles and thought them basic enough for the average illiterate listener. I also read some of the transcripts of the radio shows put together by the people to help get the message out. However, the wrong information somehow got to many of the listeners, and if you remember, that did not end well in the North. I mean it was all over CNN and BBC in no time at all. What I want to know is what you think went wrong with that campaign. Why did the wrong information spread to the people, assuming they were exposed to the right information at least once a day.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Boko Haram Attacks Goni In Borno / Falana: It’s Dangerous To Sanction 165k Voters Over Electoral Officers’ Mistakes / Peter Obi Visits IDP Camps In Bokkos & Barkin-ladi LGAs, donates N5 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.