Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,085 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:28 AM

He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards (35392 Views)

My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department / She Was Sacked For Telling Students To Pray For Nigeria / I Remain UNILAG VC - Ogundipe Says As Details Emerge Of Why He Was Sacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by JONNYSPUTE(m): 11:38am On Apr 27, 2021
Odunharry:

Nice input. The one that surprises me is some people will tell you no teacher should discipline their child even if they do wrong.
Inasmuch we have cases where some teachers take discipline to the extreme, I dnt think it's right to just ignore a child because the parent frown against it.

I know while I was in Government owned primary and secondary school, they discipline people for not doing assignments and missing classes and notes, not to talk more of bad behavior.

We are where we are going today bcs alot of people turn blind eyes to bad behaviour.
....And when the child turns out to be a very wayward person in future,they will start looking for their village people to blame rather than blame themselves.

2 Likes

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by tunize(m): 11:41am On Apr 27, 2021
JONNYSPUTE:
....Help me ask her.
E tire me

1 Like

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by Lagoon0: 11:42am On Apr 27, 2021
Odunharry:

Nice input. The one that surprises me is some people will tell you no teacher should discipline their child even if they do wrong.
Inasmuch we have cases where some teachers take discipline to the extreme, I dnt think it's right to just ignore a child because the parent frown against it.

I know while I was in Government owned primary and secondary school, they discipline people for not doing assignments and missing classes and notes, not to talk more of bad behavior.

We are where we are going today bcs alot of people turn blind eyes to bad behaviour.
Beating has added nothing to African children .

Their individual success among peers make them think beating made them who they are.

The western world that don't beat still Lead in technology and others.

Our forefathers that were Disciplined could not fix Nigeria .
Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by officialmario(m): 11:43am On Apr 27, 2021
babajeje123:

Everything is wrong in those comments. Comments on a student's report should be what they did well and areas of improvement.
how about the wrong side of it?

1 Like

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by officialmario(m): 11:45am On Apr 27, 2021
JONNYSPUTE:
....And when the child turns out to be a very wayward person in future,they will start looking for their village people to blame rather than blame themselves.
you are on the right side

1 Like

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by Odunharry(m): 11:46am On Apr 27, 2021
JONNYSPUTE:
Omo everything na village people..

1 Like

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by officialmario(m): 11:46am On Apr 27, 2021
Lagoon0:

Their individual success among peers make them think beating made them who they are.

hmmmmm..you burst my brain with this.

1 Like

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by officialmario(m): 11:50am On Apr 27, 2021
Geobenny:
you must be silly for this comment.
he has made a bad comment, infact i need to go back and sleep

1 Like

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by Asour: 11:53am On Apr 27, 2021
laplace12:

Social media accounts are limiting people's chances today.

So what made you think a comment about you made by your teacher won't be taken more serious?

A copy of the report card is in the school. It can get into the wrong hand and be used against you.

Possibly.
Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by Vinnie2000(m): 11:55am On Apr 27, 2021
@OP, Your Friend did Wrong!!

He was too Hard n Direct on his choice of words..Almost seemed like he still bore Grugdes on d students who I suspect must have done him hard e.g Mocking his salary, Shoes, Clothes, Way of speaking, etc..

Sec skul students both in Private n public schools do dat alot..

So mayb He was trying to Revenge for d injustices dey must have done to him!! Hence His Aggressive way of sending his message!!

But Also, For d School to tell him to Apologise to d Parents, is VERY WRONG!! By doing dat, they make d parents feel like Tin gods n Also Bolden Students to Misbehave!!

They would have called the Parents to apologise then Disciplined d Teacher by Salary Reduction!! You don't just Sack ur Staff to Please Pple!!

It may have Ripple Effects in d School as a Whole n other Staff might b Demoralized n Don't give in dier best!!

Now ur Friend should calm n learn life's lesson as he grows older!! Sometimes, you have to overlook d 'Craze' of other pple..

On a Lighter note, A Teacher friend who had a Very Dull n Stubborn student said he was tempted to write in d Student's Result..',SKUL FEES SHOULD BE INVESTED IN MORE PROFITABLE VENTURES'..Lol!!

2 Likes

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by Lagoon0: 12:01pm On Apr 27, 2021
Vinnie2000:

@OP, Your Friend did Wrong!!

He was too Hard n Direct on his choice of words..Almost seemed like he still bore Grugdes on d students who I suspect must have done him hard e.g Mocking his salary, Shoes, Clothes, Way of speaking, etc..

Sec skul students both in Private n public schools do dat alot..

So mayb He was trying to Revenge for d injustices dey must have done to him!! Hence His Aggressive way of sending his message!!

But Also, For d School to tell him to Apologise to d Parents, is VERY WRONG!! By doing dat, they make d parents feel like Tin gods n Also Bolden Students to Misbehave!!

They would have called the Parents to apologise then Disciplined d Teacher by Salary Reduction!! You don't just Sack ur Staff to Please Pple!!

It may have Ripple Effects in d School as a Whole n other Staff might b Demoralized n Don't give in dier best!!

Now ur Friend should calm n learn life's lesson as he grows older!! Sometimes, you have to overlook d 'Craze' of other pple..

On a Lighter note, A Teacher friend who had a Very Dull n Stubborn student said he was tempted to write in d Student's Result..',SKUL FEES SHOULD BE INVESTED IN MORE PROFITABLE VENTURES'..Lol!!

Yes in my secondary sch days my teacher would say I'm stubborn , but my mum knew I'm very quiet and gentle. So something is wrong somewhere I was not doing well academically also .

Just imagine a teacher giving me a bad remark my reserve nature will only make me hate the teacher more.

We have many of this wrong teacher at the university also adding nothing to Nigeria academic system.
Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by officialmario(m): 12:05pm On Apr 27, 2021
Minjim:
If its a private school, parents are the one that dictate what they want to see on their kids report card.
In some instance self if you notice the kid performed below average, you need to inform the parent b4 you record it. Yes, it's that bad.
Private school is profit-oriented biz and parents change school for the lamest reasons.
Another thing, education is all about motivation, you do not discourage a learner even if you feel he is underperforming. Choose your words diplomatically. You'll convey your msg but in a professional manner.
A kid that is lazy, you can say, " He needs to be encouraged to put in more efforts."

I'm not sure your guy read Education
he studied education, he is just been harsh on the student,i dont think sacking him is the better option.
Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by Housing(m): 12:09pm On Apr 27, 2021
There are better ways to communicate the child/student bad behavior or deficiency without being negative.

He needs to improve on in attendance in school

He should be more attentive in class

He should be more focus and avoid bad friends

He needs to improve on his neatness.

As senior a Colleague/Proprietor will caution him and tutored him on positive communication. But will never ask him to apologise to any parent.

In fact I will defend him and placates the parents with mentorship talks. Asking him to apologise to the parents will lead to more problems for the management in not to distance future albeit unknowingly.

1 Like

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by Odunharry(m): 12:10pm On Apr 27, 2021
VTJN:
he used the wrong choice of words!
Yea that's it. Wrong choice of words.
Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by samuelson06(m): 12:11pm On Apr 27, 2021
laplace12:
The report card is an official document and could limit the child's chances in the future.

There are better ways of telling parents about their child's behavior instead of writing it in the report card.

No matter how bad a child is, there is a positive side of him/her. Find that positive side and put it in the report card.

Hypocrisy of Nigerians.
Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by Ganbite: 12:12pm On Apr 27, 2021
PlayMaker14:
I remember when my form mistress, Mrs Onajite made some silly remark on my report card...

My position was 17th out of 53 and what this woman can give as a remark was; "He's Becoming A Community Tout"

My father did not take it lightly with her as he stormed the school the following academic session and warned her never to condemn me with such a remark.

We all need to understand one thing about private schools and public schools.

First, the Teacher said he is becoming a tout on the reports card, why not call his parent and inform them about what their children are becoming.

To me when u re in a Rome u behave like Romans this is private school and make things private and not public

Those remarks are really demoralizing.
Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by Housing(m): 12:16pm On Apr 27, 2021
officialmario:

how about the wrong side of it?

Your friend needs to understand what is called positive communication. His choice of words were too negative, harsh devoid of any positive message to the parents.
Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by sapientia(m): 12:19pm On Apr 27, 2021
Na wa ooooo

Report card is the way your teacher tell your parents a summary of your activities.

The guy did no wrong.

1 Like

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by Karozy: 12:22pm On Apr 27, 2021
Amotolongbo:
These comments are nonsense and unnecessary.

Can he also allow this kinda comment to be written on his own card?

Private schools are the proprietors’ business and no one will stand watching and allow his business to be spoilt by a silly person.

The school has principal and proprietor. If any student is rude or disrespectful, why not reporting the student to the proprietor or teacher who will find a way of reaching out to the parent?

Pass the right and truthful comment on the academic performance of the student and leave the moral part for the principal to handle.
The fact is that a good parent doesn’t need waiting for the comment on the report card before knowing how well his/her child is behaving in school. Regular visiting and/or contacting the class teacher on phone gives the parent the knowledge of the child’s behavior in school. This will bring about a prompt correction and not having to wait till the end of the term.

This kinda silly comment can have a way of affecting the students’ future if one is not careful.
Which employer will see this kind of report card later in the future and employ the child having such comment by his/her class teacher?
What are you trying to say, why do we have such section on the report card, it’s it for pleasing the parents or students, I don’t see anything wrong in what the teacher did so long he or she is saying nothing but the truth, most proprietors are only concerned about their business and profit and nothing more so they do everything to please students and parents and that’s why discipline is lacking in our schools today. So if a child is stubborn and disrespectful you expect the teacher to comment that he is respectful and calm abi, you guys are not serious in defending the school.
And what you don’t know is that some students pretend to be cool at home before their parents but when they are out there they are something else.

1 Like

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by Vinnie2000(m): 12:29pm On Apr 27, 2021
Properoo:
If i own a private school, I will not hesitate to fire that teacher for dereliction of duty, for fatally abandoning his duty, for not doing his job.
He was given a child that is not active in class. His job is to make the child active in class. He was given a child that is a truant. The teacher's job is to change him from being a truant. He was given a child that keeps a bad gang, and he cannot motivate and inspire him to make his life useful and leave the bad gang. If the child is left to that trajectory, maybe he will end up as a cult member in when he enters university. Maybe he will become an armed robber or something worse later in life. The parent is paying so much money to raise a good child, a teacher that did not do his job is writing rubbish on the child's report! that teacher should go to jail for dereliction of duty

This Person, What's Wrong with You??

See d Way you are Yapping!! The Teacher must do dis, The Teacher must do dat...So because u pay a Staff, He or She should Slave to Death??

All doz things you mentioned, You think it's easy for the Teacher to get Positive Results, Just lyk dat??

Even most Enlightened or humane Parents knows Teacher's work is not easy..

Better Change Your Mentality!!

It's like you re a Richman's/Privileged Kid who haven't worked in a Private organization B4!! U dey Enjoy life, hence you don't know d Stress of Diz Private Jobs!!

1 Like

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by unamamatoto: 12:45pm On Apr 27, 2021
Amotolongbo:
Can you allow this kinda “truth” be written in your ward’s report card?
ode... Trying to sound woke... Abakpa Yahoo boy

2 Likes

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by BrainSanitizer: 12:47pm On Apr 27, 2021
officialmario:
I wonder the kind of people establishing schools nowdays, for you to be a proprietor or proprietress of a school you need to have studied EDUCATION in school so as to have the clear understanding of how to handle your school and the entire staff.

My friend made some comment on some of his students report card and he is in trouble now.
These are some of the comments:
"He is not active in class"
"She keeps gang in the school"
"He is a truant."
"She is rude and not respectful",
those are some of the comment he made, and the proprietor told him to go and apologize to the parent for the comment made on their children's result, the guy has refused and has been fired for nt apologizing.

Whats your opinion on this?
did you get any comment that made your parent to be mad at you while in secondary school?
Report cards are records to be kept by parents and the school for future reference.
Such comments must never be written in a child's report.
Behaviour concerns should be reported, discussed and the child supported and counseled to change. That's why children are sent to school in the first place.
There's no maths or physics or chemistry or biology that you'll teach a child in school that the child can not learn even better online.
Parents send their kids to school because some of them have attitudinal challenges that teachers and other support staff need to correct.
Unfortunately, Nigeria's educational workforce, especially in private school, is composed mostly of teachers who are not trained to deal with children. Sadly, school owners prefer them because they are cheap to hire.
In the school I work, you cannot try this kind of rubbish. You'll be lucky if you just get sacked without being arrested.
It's completely against child protection act as it can cause severe emotional torture and destroy the child's self esteem completely.
Teachers who write this kind of comments are mostly likely to say such things to such children in the presence of other students.
This could lead to the child being mocked. That in turn is the fastest cause of depression and eventually, suicidal tendencies.

1 Like

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by abbey621(m): 1:04pm On Apr 27, 2021
Lagoon0:

Rubbish....The Western world without good leaders and investments would be worse than Africa. This is why when most Africans get to the Western world they shine brighter than a diamond, discipline can never be substituted with mediocrity. Look at the USA for example, 80% of the youths graduates from high school but less than 40% actually graduate from the university or college. Out of those that graduated only 50% of them actually go on to have successful careers. Opportunity is one thing, being disciplined to utilize it is another.

1 Like

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by Lagoon0: 1:09pm On Apr 27, 2021
abbey621:

Rubbish....The Western world without good leaders and investments would be worse than Africa. This is why when most Africans get to the Western world they shine brighter than a diamond, discipline can never be substituted with mediocrity. Look at the USA for example, 80% of the youths graduates from high school but less than 40% actually graduate from the university or college. Out of those that graduated only 50% of them actually go on to have successful careers. Opportunity is one thing, being disciplined to utilize it is another.
Discipline and abuse are two different thing.
We abuse here not discipline .

If I may ask you. Why has African discipline not produce good leader?
Leaders like buhari , tinubu, goodluck, obasanjo were voted by people of similar ideology.

It shows the African discipline can't produce good leaders.
Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by Lagoon0: 1:14pm On Apr 27, 2021
BrainSanitizer:

Report cards are records to be kept by parents and the school for future reference.
Such comments must never be written in a child's report.
Behaviour concerns should be reported, discussed and the child supported and counseled to change. That's why children are sent to school in the first place.
There's no maths or physics or chemistry or biology that you'll teach a child in school that the child can not learn even better online.
Parents send their kids to school because some of them have attitudinal challenges that teachers and other support staff need to correct.
Unfortunately, Nigeria's educational workforce, especially in private school, is composed mostly of teachers who are not trained to deal with children. Sadly, school owners prefer them because they are cheap to hire.
In the school I work, you cannot try this kind of rubbish. You'll be lucky if you just get sacked without being arrested.
It's completely against child protection act as it can cause severe emotional torture and destroy the child's self esteem completely.
Teachers who write this kind of comments are mostly likely to say such things to such children in the presence of other students.
This could lead to the child being mocked. That in turn is the fastest cause of depression and eventually, suicidal tendencies.
God bless you. People are not thinking, all they know is discipline the child, do this and do that.

They dont think of let know what's the child challenges, how can we advice the parent to improve this child academic success.
Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by abbey621(m): 1:16pm On Apr 27, 2021
Lagoon0:

Discipline and abuse are two different thing.
We abuse here not discipline .

If I may ask you. Why has African discipline not produce good leader?
Leaders like buhari , tinubu, goodluck, obasanjo were voted by people of similar ideology.

It shows the African discipline can't produce good leaders.

Define good leaders? Even in the USA, we have had very bad leaders but the system corrects it. The problem with Nigeria is not the leaders but the system. A system built on very shaky foundation, it's like joining three enemies together and saying live happily together. If I gave you 1,000,000 Naira and asked you to go and build a house in Ikoyi, you would fail woefully but if I gave you the same amount and said build a house in the village, you would have a very high chance of success. Every Nigerian shopuld be cursing Lugard because the sytem was doomed from the start.

1 Like

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by Tapout(m): 1:16pm On Apr 27, 2021
lmao!! Yes he deserves it, your friend has no atom of professionalism. Good riddance!! cheesy cheesy there's a thousand and one other ways he could have passed his message across.

1 Like

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by Iseoluwani: 1:19pm On Apr 27, 2021
Lagoon0:

So if he does not still perform well , he should be repeated till he gets to 31 shocked

It seems you're not thinking

something is legally wrong with you, must he read, can't he be encouraged to learn a trade. so because age is not on his side, they should promote failure.

u are a failure

2 Likes

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by armadeo(m): 1:21pm On Apr 27, 2021
Na wa oh. Employer don dey ask for report card from school.

Where una dey work sef?

Let me continue reading sha.
Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by kingchris30(m): 1:28pm On Apr 27, 2021
Amotolongbo:
If a student stole the teacher’s handset, the best way to let the parent be aware is through summoning the parents to the school or sending the message to the parents to get them informed. Not through the report card

If any Teacher has any resentment for a student, it is better for the teacher to make a comment on the report card solely on academic performance of the student and leave the personality alone.
it is called report card for a reason

1 Like

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by samsongbemisola(m): 1:29pm On Apr 27, 2021
is such is written in my report card my father will beat the hell out of me, but most parent will do otherwise. As an eductor u dont have to be too negative in your comment. you have to narrate the positive before saying anything abt the negative

1 Like

Re: He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards by Lagoon0: 1:37pm On Apr 27, 2021
Iseoluwani:

something is legally wrong with you, must he read, can't he be encouraged to learn a trade. so because age is not on his side, they should promote failure.

u are a failure
Lol I'm a failure grin

You're proving yourself to be ignorant.

My primary sch wasn't really good but I passed the common entrance studying by my self.

My junior secondary sch was also bad , my intro tech teacher will always discipline me and some other student for doing Bad in science subject.

Thank God for God. One of your type of ignorant person told me I'm not fit to be in science class. Just imagine me that has been all about science fiction and space from primary sch.
One idiot was suggesting I move to anther dept.

I finish secondary sch and my intro-tech teacher needed me and my friend to design and analyze circuit for him.

I joked about me explaining better , what he once flogged me on.

The funniest thing I noticed is the way our academic structure is. We just have frustrated failure like you acting as teacher and need to be sacked like the Op friend

Today I'm a physicist . and IT expert so you're the real failure . rubbish!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Riot In Afe Babalola University, Ekiti (Photos) / Photo Of The FUTMINNA Student Whose Death Led To Riot / NANS Senate-President, 4 Others Die In Auto Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.