Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,983 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:08 PM

Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? (16048 Views)

Daddy Freeze: 'I Was Still Paying Tithes While I Was Preaching Against It' / "Winners Chapel Would Soon Be Paying Tithes Of Trillions" - Bishop Oyedepo / "I Don't Pay Tithes To Winners Chapel Anymore" - Lady; Daddy Freeze Reacts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by Gambit23: 10:37am On Jul 25, 2021
18wheeler:
During a discussion in church some years back, someone presented two scenarios and asked whether tithe is applied appropriately.

One: a trader that buys goods from Lagos for resell in Jos. At the end of month he pays tithe out of the profits he made from sales of that month because that's his income. In arriving at the profit he would have deducted all his expenses incurred like transport, feeding & accommodation while in Lagos, shop rent, staff salary etc in the course of his business. Then he pays tithe out of what is left.

Two: a government worker who receives salary monthly is expected to pay tithe on the whole amount received. Should he not also deduct his daily transport cost, cost of lunch at least which he takes during work, and all other expenses he incurs in the course of his work and pay his tithe from what is left of his salary?

An argument ensued which remained inconclusive till we departed. Even the priests present at the discussion could not provide clear, convincing answers.
It was a catholic forum BTW.

Learn the truth about tithing here

Read deuteronomy 26 vs 12.

Read deuteronomy 14 vs 28.

Read numbers 18 vs 23 - 26.

Avoid malachi 3 vs 8 - 10, It is an instruction to priests who do not pay their tithes as see in numbers 23 - 26.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by jaxxy(m): 10:42am On Jul 25, 2021
Hezzyluv:

If you woshppin in a Bible bilivin church, God is there already

So God is not in the church that is struggling? Or theyvare not children of God or what is ur adviser trying to say that the God in ur church is different from the one in the other church??

These are gimmicks and wrong interpretations of men.
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by kwasoly(m): 10:48am On Jul 25, 2021
richmond500:
Its cool to pay tithes in churches cos the church will use it to enlarge and win more souls for God, but is that enough, should we let the NGO's, widows, needy and orphanage to rot?

Cos Matt.25 Jesus told us the criteria for judgement and its not amount of tithe u pay or people u convert into chritianity, a Muslim that shows unconditional love is eternity worthy than a bittered tribalistic christian that never missed paying his tithe

Don't twist the scripture, Tithe is tithe, charity is charity. Jesus himself said the poor we will always have when people murmured when Mary broke the alabaster box and anointed his feet.
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by frozen70(f): 10:52am On Jul 25, 2021
richmond500:
Its cool to pay tithes in churches cos the church will use it to enlarge and win more souls for God, but is that enough, should we let the NGO's, widows, needy and orphanage to rot?

Cos Matt.25 Jesus told us the criteria for judgement and its not amount of tithe u pay or people u convert into chritianity, a Muslim that shows unconditional love is eternity worthy than a bittered tribalistic christian that never missed paying his tithe

That's what I do, I give my tithes to the poor

I can't be feeding a well to do pastor when the people around me are dying of hunger

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by Dreamhighnow(m): 10:55am On Jul 25, 2021
Tithe is meant for the gospel. Nothing else. If you now like, give 80 percent to beggars. Na u know
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by elated177: 11:02am On Jul 25, 2021
Gambit23:

Learn the truth about tithing here

Avoid malachi 3 vs 8 - 10, It is an instruction to priests who do not pay their tithes as see in numbers 23 - 26.

True!

At no time was tithe even about money. Ehehehehe!

This issue of tithe has shown clearly that people are hostile to the truth. They have no regard for the Truth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by denitro(m): 11:02am On Jul 25, 2021
We have tithes and offerings.
Tithes - 10% of your interest annually, which is to be paid to the church and such will be kept in the Lord's storehouse.
The purpose of tithes is to help move the work of God.
Usage is specific - the building of church building, ecclesiastic duties - clerical budget, travel, and unit allocations.

Offerings - These are voluntary payments made to the church different from tithes.
The purpose of the offering is to help the poor and the needy in the church.
Usage is specific - Taking care of the widow and orphans, poor and the needy in the church, and anyone who is in need.

WHY you cannot give your tithe to those in need, is simple tithes is not for that purpose.
Can I give my offering to those in need? No, the reason why is because once someone is in need, it is a teaching moment and the
church uses such opportunity to counsel and provide short and long-term plans to help that person become self-reliant. And the offering belongs to God and God alone reserves the right to decide how his funds are disbursed, we don't have any right to disburse it ourselves.
I don't want to give my tithe to my pastor, he uses it for his own personal gain, what should I do?
The purpose of paying tithe is to solely build the faith of the person paying, God doesn't need our money and is happy
when we obey laws and build our trust in Him, the greater sin will be on the pastor and no blessing promised the faithful tithe payer will be lost.
Laws and commandments, in the end, will preserve us, and doing our best to strive to keep those laws will bless those who keep
those laws

And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God.
For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true;
for the Lord God hath spoken it.
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by elated177: 11:05am On Jul 25, 2021
denitro:
We have tithes and offerings.
Tithes - 10% of your interest annually, which is to be paid to the church and such will be kept in the Lord's storehouse.
The purpose of tithes is to help move the work of God.
Usage is specific - the building of church building, ecclesiastic duties - clerical budget, travel, and unit allocations.

Offerings - These are voluntary payments made to the church different from tithes.
The purpose of the offering is to help the poor and the needy in the church.
Usage is specific - Taking care of the widow and orphans, poor and the needy in the church, and anyone who is in need.

WHY you cannot give your tithe to those in need, is simple tithes is not for that purpose.
Can I give my offering to those in need? No, the reason why is because once someone is in need, it is a teaching moment and the
church uses such opportunity to counsel and provide short and long-term plans to help that person become self-reliant. And the offering belongs to God and God alone reserves the right to decide how his funds are disbursed, we don't have any right to disburse it ourselves.
I don't want to give my tithe to my pastor, he uses it for his own personal gain, what should I do?
The purpose of paying tithe is to solely build the faith of the person paying, God doesn't need our money and is happy
when we obey laws and build our trust in Him, the greater sin will be on the pastor and no blessing promised the faithful tithe payer will be lost.
Laws and commandments, in the end, will preserve us, and doing our best to strive to keep those laws will bless those who keep
those laws

And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God.
For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true;
for the Lord God hath spoken it.

What is tithe?

And, eehee, since you mentioned the Laws and Commandments of God, may I know who this God is and his Laws and Commandments?
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by richie240: 11:12am On Jul 25, 2021
Hezzyluv:

I once asked similar question, can I pay my tithe to the church I see struggling financially? and was told I have to pay it to the church where I worship. That, that's where you're getin ur blessings from. You can always Saw seed and render assistance outside your tithe.
Lolz.
**Is d God of dt 'struggling' church any different from dt of d 'mega' church?
*Are you paying d tithe to a particular church or to God?
*Are u getting ur blessings from that particular church or from God?

Its like saying "u must take injection for migraine in/on d head (bcuz dts where d pain is) instead of d normal place- d buttocks.

Its also like saying you must always make deposits/withdrawals from d particular branch of d bank u opened d account.
cool
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by smartNerd: 11:16am On Jul 25, 2021
I have learned over the years that when one’s
mind is made up, this diminishes fear. -- Rosa
Parks

www.nairaland.com/attachments/13900158_dearpastthank_jpeg_jpegdb11b56dcd31f27e7abf4625978d6c01
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by stankezzy: 11:20am On Jul 25, 2021
Whosoever that is writing this things , why don't u go to orphanage and d poor to pay your tax ,why do u pay light bills to government even with governments great wealth, why do u pay school fees for u or for your children , is knowledge suppose not to be free,we obey earthly rules with out any question but argue with Gods laws ,tithes are command and not if u want, to whosoever that is arguing continue till u stand before him and tell him u disobeyed him because of d poor ,heaven is his own hell is his own ,if u miss d laws of heaven u won't miss hell ,u can't argue your self out from hell ,then all these arguing companions will not be there.
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by worlexy(m): 11:21am On Jul 25, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Deuteronomy 12:11 is The Law.

then it shall come about that THE PLACE in which the Lord your God will choose for His name to dwell, there you shall bring all that I command you: your burnt offerings and your sacrifices, YOUR TITHES AND THE CONTRIBUTION OF YOUR HAND, and all your choice votive

It is about The Holy Place Where God resides. even if his preists are as Eli and Samuel's children.
Go and read Deuteronomy 14:22-29

22 “You shall tithe all the yield of your seed that comes from the field year by year. 23 And before the Lord your God, in the place that he will choose, to make his name dwell there, you shall eat the tithe of your grain, of your wine, and of your oil, cand the firstborn of your herd and flock, that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always. 24 And if the way is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, when the Lord your God blesses you, because the place is too far from you, which the Lord your God chooses, to set his name there, 25 then you shall turn it into money and bind up the money in your hand and go to the place that the Lord your God chooses 26 and spend the money for whatever you desire—oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household. 27 And you shall not neglect fthe Levite who is within your towns, for ghe has no portion or inheritance with you.
28 At the end of every three years you shall bring out all the tithe of your produce in the same year and lay it up within your towns. 29 And the Levite, because he has no portion or inheritance with you, and the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow, who are within your towns, shall come and eat and be filled, that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands that you do.
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by worlexy(m): 11:24am On Jul 25, 2021
richmond500:
OK, why do we allow the orphanage to rot? Or ate they also business organisations?
I am not against paying tithe, but as chritians, should we just neglect the orphanages?
Nope

22 “You shall tithe all the yield of your seed that comes from the field year by year. 23 And before the Lord your God, in the place that he will choose, to make his name dwell there, you shall eat the tithe of your grain, of your wine, and of your oil, cand the firstborn of your herd and flock, that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always. 24 And if the way is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, when the Lord your God blesses you, because the place is too far from you, which the Lord your God chooses, to set his name there, 25 then you shall turn it into money and bind up the money in your hand and go to the place that the Lord your God chooses 26 and spend the money for whatever you desire—oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household. 27 And you shall not neglect fthe Levite who is within your towns, for ghe has no portion or inheritance with you.
28 At the end of every three years you shall bring out all the tithe of your produce in the same year and lay it up within your towns. 29 And the Levite, because he has no portion or inheritance with you, and the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow, who are within your towns, shall come and eat and be filled, that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands that you do.
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by Goldbw122(m): 11:26am On Jul 25, 2021
Tithe is different from helping hand..
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by Tobechuckwu(m): 11:28am On Jul 25, 2021
Gambit23:

Read n learn

Why will u tell me to avoid some part of the Bible just bcuz it didn't support Ur motion?

If u believe what the Bible says in d book of Numbers nd Deuteronomy, why do u have difficulty to believe what God's word says in Malachi?

Since the word of God is true, I believe nd read what he says in Malachi also.

Tithe is legit nd the word of God is the Truth
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by worlexy(m): 11:29am On Jul 25, 2021
felixawe:

Your pastor will tell you NO, that pay where u worship only .
Then the pastor should give us reference to support his claims from the Bible
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by worlexy(m): 11:29am On Jul 25, 2021
stagger:

Tithes belongs to God, not to the needy. You have 90% of your increase to decide what to do for the needy. Don't misplace priorities mister man.

People like you are the greedy Christians who can never bear to give God what belongs to God. The 10% God asked for, you want to give to the needy so you alone can enjoy the 90%. What a heartless, manipulative mindset!

God is not interested in your money.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by Dtruthspeaker: 11:33am On Jul 25, 2021
worlexy:

22 “You shall tithe all the yield of your seed that comes from the field year by year. 23 And before the Lord your God, IN THE PLACE THAT HE WILL CHOOSE, TO MAKE HIS NAME DWELL THERE, you shall eat the tithe of your grain, of your wine, and of your oil, cand the firstborn of your herd and flock, that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always. 24 And if the way is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, when the Lord your God blesses you, because the place is too far from you, WHICH THE LORD YOUR GOD CHOOSES, TO SET HIS NAME THERE, 25 then you shall turn it into money and bind up the money in your hand and go to the place that the Lord your God chooses 26 and spend the money for whatever you desire—oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household. 27 And you shall not neglect fthe Levite who is within your towns, for he has no portion or inheritance with you.

In here, you still see the instruction. in the place that He will choose, to make his name dwell there, NOT YOUR OWN CHOOSING BUT THE LORDS CHOSING AND DESIGNATION!
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by Highzyk: 11:33am On Jul 25, 2021
richmond500:

Cos Matt.25 Jesus told us the criteria for judgement and its not amount of tithe u pay or peooitiple u convert into chritianity, a Muslim that shows unconditional love is eternity worthy than a bittered tribalistic christian that never missed paying his tithe

In as much you never handed your tax to the needy, this op needs spiritual diagnose.

Tithes, like tax, is statutory and must be paid.
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by FirmTR(m): 11:33am On Jul 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
NGO's are business organizations. And we are not called by Jesus Christ to support business organizations but to do as Jesus Christ commands . undecided

Jesus Christ demands we each have that direct contact with those who are in need just as He did. I am afraid there is no sitting away off, writing checks to be forwarded to those in need. Recall Jesus Christ suggesting we are to serve others just as He served us? How can we do as Jesus Christ has commanded if our support is done through third party NGO's? undecided.

In regards to your comments
Lets take the prison for instance, The Lord commands us to care for the prisoners.

Now, if you go to any of the prisons to show love and care, you can't just reach out to the prisoners directly, there's an authority that you must pass through.

I believe that is what rishmond500 is talking about..
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by worlexy(m): 11:35am On Jul 25, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

In here, you still see the instruction. in the place that He will choose, to make his name dwell there, NOT YOUR OWN CHOOSING BUT THE LORDS CHOSING AND DESIGNATION!

So where has God chosen?
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by Mayniaa: 11:36am On Jul 25, 2021
Hezzyluv:

And yet he said 4sek nt the assembly of bredrn?
Bring all the tithe in my store house?

Anyway, u win
Are u ok now?

Did you read that whole page by yourself? Or your pastor preached to you?

What kind of tithes were they talking about? And they said you should bring it to the house of the lord and eat it there!! There are so many laws apart of tithe, why following just that?
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by worlexy(m): 11:38am On Jul 25, 2021
Raph82:
I knew better the day I found out the truth about tithe payment right from the Bible. First, in the new testament, Jesus Christ did not lay any emphasis on tithe, he preached love and giving. Now in the old testament where the issue of tithe came up, it was made clear on how to pay it. Honestly speaking, no pastor would want u to give out ur tithe to the less privileged, motherless children and widows, they want everything paid to them quoting the book of Malachi. But the truth is, tithe payment should be paid to widows, less privileged, motherless children and ur church. Check out the book of Deuteronomy 26:12. No pastor can fool me over tithe, I know better.
They won’t see that part.
They won’t see this too:
Deuteronomy 14:22-29

Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by Dtruthspeaker: 11:38am On Jul 25, 2021
worlexy:

So where has God chosen?

That is the first step of and for the love for God, Find Him, if you love Him.

And you will Find Him, if Only, you Truly Love Him!
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by worlexy(m): 11:38am On Jul 25, 2021
TheMan3:
Then that is not called tithe. Give arms to the poor and those in need. Pay your tithe to the house of God!!!!

Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by worlexy(m): 11:39am On Jul 25, 2021
dapadawee:

We have different types of offering....
And different purpose for giving them....
It's wrong to buy shoe for a man that don't have legs....
If you can't give tithe it will be difficult to give to the needy... Except for the camera though....
Tithe is what you give to the house of God and it have a specific percentage......
Giving to the needy is also necessary those who pays tithe also give to the needy they all have their reward

Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by Highzyk: 11:40am On Jul 25, 2021
richmond500:

Cos Matt.25 Jesus told us the criteria for judgement and its not amount of tithe u pay or peooitiple u convert into chritianity, a Muslim that shows unconditional love is eternity worthy than a bittered tribalistic christian that never missed paying his tithe

In as much you never handed your tax to the needy, this op needs spiritual diagnose.

Tithes, like tax, is statutory and must be paid and you are just decieved to think that giving it to the needy frees you the obligation. If for exigency, you did, like tax, it remains unpaid.

BTW, how many of you guys have been moved to give your school fees to the poor and later refuse to meet up paying the school fee?
So-so belial generation
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by Reference(m): 11:41am On Jul 25, 2021
That is not called tithe. Tithe is the Biblical name for taxation in the Kingdom of God. It is statutory, mandatory and has a rate that not changed for generations.

Jesus Christ said you should give onto God what is God's. What is God's ahould not be given for any other purpose.

In the church age the Tithe is to be collected by the priests, ministers and its purpose is to provide for the church, primarily so it can be established, grow and so that ministers are focused on spiritual things having tjeor mayerials needs taken care of.

You donot take what belongs to Caesar to distribute to the poor or needy. Caesar is bound to send you to jail. Why should you divert what belongs to God.

God has expressly commanded the poor to be cared for by those who are generous and He is a rewarded to them as if lending onto Him.

There is order in the Kingdom of God.
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by Druss(m): 11:41am On Jul 25, 2021
I give part of my tithes to charity and the other part to the church.
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by worlexy(m): 11:41am On Jul 25, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

That is the first step of and for the love for God, Find Him, if you love Him.

And you will Find Him, if Only, you Truly Love Him!
Simple question you can’t answer because u knew it will expose your deceit.

Tell us according to the Bible where the Lord has chosen for us to go and eat our tithes and merry before him and tell us where you do your own
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by Gambit23: 11:42am On Jul 25, 2021
Tobechuckwu:

Why will u tell me to avoid some part of the Bible just bcuz it didn't support Ur motion?

If u believe what the Bible says in d book of Numbers nd Deuteronomy, why do u have difficulty to believe what God's word says in Malachi?

Since the word of God is true, I believe nd read what he says in Malachi also.

Tithe is legit nd the word of God is the Truth

Read the scriptures I uploaded first, read it slowly with intent to understand....Or didnt u see where they wrote that you SHOULD BPAY UR TITHE TO LEVITES, ORPHANS, FATHERLESS, ANS POOR PEOPLE?
Re: Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? by rontolo(m): 11:43am On Jul 25, 2021
Hezzyluv:

I once asked similar question, can I pay my tithe to the church I see struggling financially? and was told I have to pay it to the church where I worship. That, that's where you're getin ur blessings from. You can always Saw seed and render assistance outside your tithe.
You are not getting your blessing from the Church. You get your blessing from God, the omnipotent. We need to get enlightened not to fall prey to businessmen pastors

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Why Is Christian Dating So Difficult? / Why Did Jesus Ask Simon Peter, "Do You Love Me" Three Times? / Where Are We From and What Is Our Purpose On Earth?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.