Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,218 members, 7,815,257 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:44 AM

In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada (40630 Views)

Buhari Approves $2.4bn For Construction Of Red Line Rail In Lagos / Lagos Light Rail Project To Be Completed By Dec 2016 – Ambode / "We Can't Complete Lagos Light Rail Project" - Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by seanet02: 5:09pm On May 16, 2011
Fhemmmy:

I would only adviced that they invest in newer model trains and not the used ones that gives Torontonians problems . . . . .  But good start
and how does it give Torontonians Problem?
Tell me, lemme know
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Nobody: 5:09pm On May 16, 2011
A.Chigozie:

[size=20pt]WTH are you talking about?  What do former enslaved people settling in Liberia or Sierra Leone have to do with this topic?  Some of you people are all over the place, can't you focus?  [/size]
w=idiot, what am i saying, what are you saying?? now i know and sure you drop out of school
u were probably raised in the usa but had african parent,
spoilt little brat
time to ignore your ass
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by tpia5: 5:10pm On May 16, 2011
A.Chigozie:

Yes, I know, but it is my name.  If I marry, I will keep my name, because more than likely my future husband will be like 99.9% of AA and carry the name of the family who enslaved his ancestors.  

chigozie, I've already asked some pertinent questions here:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-668003.0.html

on behalf of all we women who need a man tailored to our specifications.

thank me later.

which one suits your fancy btw or do you need some lighter ones.

the first guy isnt bad though.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 5:11pm On May 16, 2011
ekt_bear:

Is what Fashola buying worse than what they use in Washington, DC:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Metro_rolling_stock

Or worse than what is used in Boston:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Line_(MBTA)

Look, if you don't like the cars, no wahala. I'm sure over time they'll upgrade to newer ones. But to START this project, what is wrong with doing it affordably? Why must brand-spankin new rail cars be bought?

Thanks for the links,

So this is what the use in Boston/USA?

Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by AChigozie1(f): 5:11pm On May 16, 2011
2mch:

rotflmao. Imagine the nonsense being spewed here. I know some of them are working for their pay checks, but they should spare us the bullshit. At the end of the day, we know a newer equipment is far cheaper in the long run than an old one. Only common sense. Nigerian's and their okrika mentality. If it is too expensive for the state, then concentrate of roads and bridges until they can afford it. No more short cuts, or cheap alternatives. It always costs us dearly in the end.

[size=20pt]What is a "okrika mentality"? Is it the same as a slave/colonial mentality?  [/size]
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by ektbear: 5:14pm On May 16, 2011
2mch:

rotflmao. Imagine the nonsense being spewed here. I know some of them are working for their pay checks, but they should spare us the bullshit. At the end of the day, we know a newer equipment is far cheaper in the long run than an old one. Only common sense. Nigerian's and their okrika mentality. If it is too expensive for the state, then concentrate of roads and bridges until they can afford it. No more short cuts, or cheap alternatives. It always costs us dearly in the end.

Let me ask you a question. Suppose you want to build a bus/haulage/trucking company. Would you buy brand new vehicles to start your business? Or find good, reliable used vehicles, at least to start?
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Kilode1: 5:14pm On May 16, 2011
ekt_bear:

Per capita, Nigeria is probably #1 on earth when it comes to haters and bad belle people

These same people complaining that he got affordable cars will be the same ones complaining that the rail is too expensive when it comes out.

Smh
Carry go, Fashola

ROFL grin, read the highlighted quote below -atrributed to St Augustine of Hippo- I will paraphrase it as;

"There is nothing more dangerous to a public dicourse than people with Half-Education or Half-Knowledge, especially when they are unaware of their limitations" We seem to have too many of those.

I think Debosky's point earlier should have ended the argument.

Augustine is considered an influential figure in the history of education. He introduced the theory of three different categories of students, and instructed teachers to adapt their teaching styles to each student's individual learning style. The three different kinds of students are: the student who has been well-educated by knowledgeable teachers; the student who has had no education; and the student who has had a poor education, but believes himself to be well-educated. If a student has been well educated in a wide variety of subjects, the teacher must be careful not to repeat what they have already learned, but to challenge the student with material which they do not yet know thoroughly.

With the student who has had no education, the teacher must be patient, willing to repeat things until the student understands, and sympathetic. Perhaps the most difficult student, however, is the one with an inferior education who believes he understands something when he does not. Augustine stressed the importance of showing this type of student the difference between "having words and having understanding," and of helping the student to remain humble with his acquisition of knowledge.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by AChigozie1(f): 5:15pm On May 16, 2011
Donlittle:

w=, what am i saying, what are you saying?? now i know and sure you drop out of school
u were probably raised in the usa but had african parent,
spoilt little brat
time to ignore your backside
[size=20pt]
Don't get mad because you are incapable of staying on topic.   grin
[/size]
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by seanet02: 5:16pm On May 16, 2011
2mch:

you are not making any bit of sense. Imagine the crap you are pouring out. Probably you don't know that New york Rails trains are not better than what Fashola is bringing in.
ekt_bear:

Is what Fashola buying worse than what they use in Washington, DC:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Metro_rolling_stock

Or worse than what is used in Boston:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Line_(MBTA)

Look, if you don't like the cars, no wahala. I'm sure over time they'll upgrade to newer ones. But to START this project, what is wrong with doing it affordably? Why must brand-spankin new rail cars be bought?
Need not say more!!
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Nobody: 5:17pm On May 16, 2011
A.Chigozie:

[size=20pt]
Don't get mad because you are incapable of staying on topic.   grin
[/size]
how did these stupid goat got lose in the market??
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Gekko(m): 5:19pm On May 16, 2011
ekt_bear:

What difference does it make whether it is light rail or subway? I actually don't even know what the difference is myself. Does it matter?
What would you have suggested they do? Go for the more expensive option? If so, where do you get the money for it?

Honestly i'm no transportation expert so am i'm eager for someone knowledgeable to weigh in but i've ridden light rails in several cities from San Francisco to Madrid and they look nothing like those cars being inspected.
with that said, from my observation, generally light rails are suitable to mixed traffic use which is why they are more they are more sleek in design since they need to operate in an existing street environment.

Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by ektbear: 5:20pm On May 16, 2011
@Kilode: There was a similar saying in Forest of 1000 Daemons about a half-educated individual.

Is there any greater threat to progress in a country?
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by 2mch(m): 5:20pm On May 16, 2011
A.Chigozie:

[size=20pt]What is a "okrika mentality"? I sis the same as a slave/colonial mentality?  [/size]

Yes actually. Nigerian's believe new and shiny things, that are efficient and life saving should only be reserved for Oyinbo people and rich people. These rich people are their politicians who steal their money and will never ride these old dinosaur train cars if their life depended on it. But will go to foreign countries and enjoy the benefit of good and transparent government. They also believe that they should go the cheapest route, even if it is okrika or second hand, so that other people our countries can believe they have some sort of infrastructure. They also do not know how to maintain anything. This is the honest truth. People, we have to do better, and emancipate ourselves from okrika culture. Because regular people are going to ride these trains, doesnt mean they deserve a molue.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Nobody: 5:21pm On May 16, 2011
Gekko:

Honestly i'm no transportation expert so am i'm eager for someone knowledgeable to weigh in but i've ridden light rails in several cities from San Francisco to Madrid and they look nothing like those cars being inspected.
with that said, from my observation, generally light rails are suitable to mixed traffic use which is why they are more they are more sleek in design since they need to operate in an existing street environment.  

you didnt stay on the question, where do you get the money to buy the newer ones? arent there money projects to deal with?
if he goes to world bank for money, you same people will complain his own is too much again, haha kilode  undecided
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 5:21pm On May 16, 2011
Gekko:

You mean sleek like the one running through the streets of  Boston/USA in the picture below?

Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Nobody: 5:22pm On May 16, 2011
2mch:

Yes actually. Nigerian's believe new and shiny things, that are efficient and life saving should only be reserved for Oyinbo people and rich people. These rich people are their politicians who steal their money and will never ride these old dinosaur train cars if their life depended on it. But will go to foreign countries and enjoy the benefit of good and transparent government. They also believe that they should go the cheapest route, even if it is okrika or second hand, so that other people our countries can believe they have some sort of infrastructure. They also do not know how to maintain anything. This is the honest truth. People, we have to do better, and emancipate ourselves from okrika culture. Because regular people are going to ride these trains, doesnt mean they deserve a molue.
are you looking for green card, or blue card? 419
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Musiwa13: 5:25pm On May 16, 2011
f
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Gekko(m): 5:25pm On May 16, 2011
Donlittle:

you didnt stay on the question, where do you get the money to buy the newer ones? arent there money projects to deal with?
if he goes to world bank for money, you same people will complain his own is too much again, haha kilode  undecided

I dont care if they buy old or used, my concern is that the technology they are inspecting is different from their presentation.

http://www.lagosrail.com/_downloads/Lagos%20Blue%20Line%20Project%20Briefing.pdf
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by 2mch(m): 5:26pm On May 16, 2011
That boston thing is a street car. It is preserved because it has a historical and cultural significance. Kind of like the New Orleans street cars. They aslo have other types of rails. Ekt Bear is a liar and an exaggerator. rotflmao.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by DAY12(m): 5:30pm On May 16, 2011
2mch:

your own biased opinion is quite outrageous from my point of view.

go sidon and listen to what your masters re saying: i.e Eko Ile, donlittle, ekt bear, seanet20 & etc.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by kulutempa: 5:31pm On May 16, 2011
2mch:

So roads and bridges are cheaper than railway carriages?  What about traffic jams?  My friend put away whatever you are smoking.  You've had enough for today!
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 5:32pm On May 16, 2011
2mch:

That boston thing is a street car. It is preserved because it has a historical and cultural significance. Kind of like the New Orleans street cars. They aslo have other types of rails. Ekt Bear is a liar and an exaggerator. rotflmao.

lol @ historical, you be comedian too?

Is their green line below historical too?

Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Nobody: 5:33pm On May 16, 2011
Gekko:

I dont care if they buy old or used, my concern is that the technology they are inspecting is different from their presentation.

http://www.lagosrail.com/_downloads/Lagos%20Blue%20Line%20Project%20Briefing.pdf
lmao, geico or geko wateva ur name is, u dnt care, more like u care bout the cause but not the effect??
damn, were do u come from
if the effect start affecting lagosin u will be the first to come on here, and start abusing fasola, kilode

and what is their presentation, and how does it differ from their inspection, nonsense
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by 2mch(m): 5:34pm On May 16, 2011
[size=14pt]Obama: US Moving Toward High-Speed Railways[/size]

* Obama Heads to Mexico to Discuss Border Security, Drug War
   * Obama's Upcoming Speech at Notre Dame University Draws Criticism

President Barack Obama wants the United States to join other industrialized countries in having an extensive high-speed rail system. The president has unveiled his plan to accelerate the development of high-speed rail in the U.S.

President Obama says high-speed rail could do for America what it is already doing for other countries, including China and Spain.  

"A high-speed line between Madrid and Seville is so successful that more people travel between those cities by rail than by car and airplane combined.  China, where service began just two years ago, may have more miles of high-speed rail service than any other country just five years from now," he said.

High-speed rail only serves America's Northeast corridor, between Washington, D.C. and Boston, Massachusetts.  But plans are under way to extend the rapid transit to other areas of the country.

Before leaving for Latin America, Mr. Obama outlined his two-part strategy for accelerating those plans.

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/a-13-2009-04-16-voa32-68813507.html

cool shocked shocked shocked Nigeria is the only country always appreciating dinosaurs. rotflmao. Everybody is moving ahead grin grin cheesy
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 5:36pm On May 16, 2011
seanet02:

and how does it give Torontonians Problem?
Tell me, lemme know

I asked him the same question. I don't think he's coming back to answer though, obviously was an indirect cowardly and sleek attempt to show bad bele. You have many of these clowns running around with nothing but sour stomach and disdain  for any kind of progress in their own country.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Bawss1(m): 5:37pm On May 16, 2011
Reading this thread is like watching a tag team battle on Tekken or Ninja Storm. I'm loving the way ekt_bear and Eko Ile take on A.Chigozie and 2mch.  cheesy
cheesy
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by DAY12(m): 5:38pm On May 16, 2011
2mch:

[size=14pt]Obama: US Moving Toward High-Speed Railways[/size]

* Obama Heads to Mexico to Discuss Border Security, Drug War
   * Obama's Upcoming Speech at Notre Dame University Draws Criticism

President Barack Obama wants the United States to join other industrialized countries in having an extensive high-speed rail system. The president has unveiled his plan to accelerate the development of high-speed rail in the U.S.

President Obama says high-speed rail could do for America what it is already doing for other countries, including China and Spain.  

"A high-speed line between Madrid and Seville is so successful that more people travel between those cities by rail than by car and airplane combined.  China, where service began just two years ago, may have more miles of high-speed rail service than any other country just five years from now," he said.

High-speed rail only serves America's Northeast corridor, between Washington, D.C. and Boston, Massachusetts.  But plans are under way to extend the rapid transit to other areas of the country.

Before leaving for Latin America, Mr. Obama outlined his two-part strategy for accelerating those plans.

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/a-13-2009-04-16-voa32-68813507.html

cool shocked shocked shocked Nigeria is the only country always appreciating dinosaurs. rotflmao. Everybody is moving ahead grin grin cheesy

You can keep arguing if you feel like it but I think its sort of waste of time.

how can you compare lagos state with United State of A.

U smoke ganja? angry
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Gekko(m): 5:40pm On May 16, 2011
Donlittle:

lmao, geico or geko wateva your name is, u dnt care, more like u care bout the cause but not the effect??
damn, were do u come from
if the effect start affecting lagosin u will be the first to come on here, and start abusing fasola, kilode

and what is their presentation, and how does it differ from their inspection, nonsense

Mr Donlittle, im not here to trade insults or abuse anyone.  What exactly is your beef? The basis of my arguments is simple
Look at my previous picture & links to the Lagos rail website and compare that to the refurbished hand me down being inspected by your dear governor.
Then ask yourself if you think 3billion dollars is adequately spent.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by ektbear: 5:40pm On May 16, 2011
Gekko:

I think it is mostly a terminology issue. They use the term "light rail" in that document once, when I guess it should instead be called just "rapid transit", I guess.

Here is what seems to be the difference, from Wikipedia:

Comparison to other rail transit modes

With its mix of right-of-way types and train control technologies, LRT offers the widest range of latitude of any rail system in the design, engineering, and operating practices. The challenge in designing light rail systems is to realize the potential of LRT to provide fast, comfortable service while avoiding the tendency to overdesign that results in excessive capital costs beyond what is necessary to meet the public's needs.[15]
[edit]Rapid rail transit
For more details on this topic, see Rapid transit.
Light rail vehicles (LRVs) are distinguished from rapid rail transit (RRT) vehicles by their capability for operation in mixed traffic, generally resulting in a narrower car body and articulation in order to operate in a traffic street environment. With their large size, large turning radius, and often an electrified third rail, RRT vehicles cannot operate in the street. Since LRT systems can operate using existing streets, they often can avoid the cost of expensive subway and elevated segments that would be required with RRT.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_rail#Rapid_rail_transit

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. The point is to have good transportation. Whether light rail or metro rail, doesn't matter.
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Musiwa13: 5:40pm On May 16, 2011
tor
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by EkoIle1: 5:41pm On May 16, 2011
DAY11.:

You can keep arguing if you feel like it but I think its sort of waste of time.

how can you compare lagos state with United State of A.

U smoke ganja? angry

He's obviously trying to ask you to ignore and not take him seriously. How do you reason with such absurd line of argument.

It's like I'm going back n forth with 2nd graders/elementary school kids,
Re: In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada by Nobody: 5:41pm On May 16, 2011
Bawss1:

Reading this thread is like watching a tag team battle on Tekken or Ninja Storm. I'm loving the way ekt_bear and Eko Ile take on A.Chigozie and 2mch.  cheesy
cheesy
A.chigozie, is not american, she is frm, federal republic of ajegunle, or united states of ajegunle, and 2mch wants green card, he wants to toast chgozie, i knw for sure, am coming back with more proof on that

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Truck Driver Bashes & Breaks Rearscreen of SUV then rolls on ground begging / Toyota Land Cruiser Somersaults At Stadium, Lagos (photos) / The Pathetic Condition Of Nigerian & Black African Migrants Stranded In Morocco

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.