Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,892 members, 7,821,112 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion (25644 Views)

I Don't Need Any Religion - Wole Soyinka / Any Religion or Secret group that entices people with money Is satanic / Why Freemasonry Is Better Than Any Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by ThatFairGuy1: 6:11pm On Aug 09, 2021
I've you ever stopped traveling by road because many died of road accident?

Have you ever stopped swimming because many has drown while swimming?

To have think that because some people are EXTREME PRACTICING ISLAM WILL MAKE YOU DENOUNCE BEING A BELIEVER will never be an excuse for you on the day of THE HOTTER COMMOTION

If you die as an unbeliever, he ready to face a punishment no one has ever experienced before WITHOUT LIMITATIONS.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by beyondPen(m): 6:16pm On Aug 09, 2021
Counting attendance in church or mosque does not make one a good person.

What is, is our service to humanity and understanding the difference between good or bad and trying hard to do good despite irrespectives.

I am a Christian and will forever be.
I recall when I was serving in the technical unit in a big church (won't mention name), I couldn't cope with the eye services, attention seeking, politicing, gossiping, backbiting, fornication and so much more. I had to quit!!!

Now I enjoy living my life solitarily cos it even makes me more spiritual and it's the best way to think way forward.

Op you are not alone, your kinds are many.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by donbenie(m): 6:20pm On Aug 09, 2021
phemmyfour:
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself
Lol..
Very original..
Which one of the over 4000 gods thought that sh1t up? grin

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Gfskw: 6:23pm On Aug 09, 2021
No one is forcing you
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Ubanz: 6:34pm On Aug 09, 2021
Welcome to the Rationalists club.
You hv just liberated yourself mentally.
Every religion is a cult. They all view themselves as serving God the right way.
The Muslims,the Christians,the Hindus,the Buhdists etc each believe theirs is the only way to God .
Offering prayers to God in your own format is best and should be a personal thing.
God knows your problems more than you or anyone else do.
We have seen countries like Nigeria who believe their religion are the only ones chosen by God but the go cap in hands to the Chinese and Japanese asking for aids.
Self deceit!

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Gilbertkwabena(m): 6:37pm On Aug 09, 2021
sotall:

Doesn't matter what you think.

The spiritual side of human is mysterious and can only be known by connecting with God

Lol... and those who doesn't follow ur so called doesn't know this mystery? or those who lives in deep forest that refuse to be known up till date don't know these mystery? stop fooling urself, b4 ur god was invented, people have always connected nd known mysteries... in fact the invention d religion u follow is rather taking ppl away from God rather than letting them know God.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by donbenie(m): 6:37pm On Aug 09, 2021
plaetton:

BS.
What else is there to know about Christianity?
Is there a new revelation that we have not heard about?

The guy is saying, just like many of have stated repeatedly in the past, that he is allergic to Bullshyt.
Many of us were simply born that way, though it takes longer for some people to come to that realization and accept it.
No amount of Bullshyt can penetrate his mind.

Simple.
I discarded Christianity and its Tales By Moonlight.
As soon as I was old enough to realize all the Bible movies,that they show during Christmas festivities was just make believe sh1t..
More than 3 decades later,am still allergic to Bullsh1t.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by donbenie(m): 6:38pm On Aug 09, 2021
Gfskw:
No one is forcing you
Tell that to Boko Haram,ISIS and The Spanish Inquisition..
Religion is a SCAM angry

1 Like

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by NairaMaster1(m): 6:40pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:
My Dad called me this evening to tell me the essence of praying. The thing is that I don't believe praying solves anything Atleast to me. the day I stopped believing and started working more on myself, I found out that things started getting better for me than those who goes to the Church and Mosques.

When I think about a lot of things I have read and what I have experienced I feel like I have always been deceived all my life.

The Pastors and Prophets with their fake miracles or the Boko Haram and their suicide with the reasons of going to heaven to get virgins.

I currently live with them though I plan on moving to my own place by the end of this year or early next year.

I really want to tell them in a polite way so they can accept my way.

My Dad won't accept this, as he believes that it is God or nothing.

Do you believe in God?
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by aribisala0(m): 6:56pm On Aug 09, 2021
donbenie:
I discarded Christianity and its Tales By Moonlight.
As soon as I was old enough to realize all the Bible movies,that they show during Christmas festivities was just make believe sh1t..
More than 3 decades later,am still allergic to Bullsh1t.
How are many of these " Christians" on this thread different from those in Kano who want to kill a man for renouncing Islam?
They are just as intolerant and just as bigoted.

It all comes down to one thing
They cannot face the possibility that their investments , emotional ,psychological and financial have been a waste .
Any person who raises that possibility deserves violence and even death

Of course violence starts verbally. Give them a label , demonize them and thereafter do unto them as you please
Why is your conclusion about the same set of facts superior to another man's ?
He does not interfere with you so leave him alone.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by aribisala0(m): 6:58pm On Aug 09, 2021
Ubanz:
Welcome to the Rationalists club.
You hv just liberated yourself mentally.
Every religion is a cult. They all view themselves as serving God the right way.
The Muslims,the Christians,the Hindus,the Buhdists etc each believe theirs is the only way to God .
Offering prayers to God in your own format is best and should be a personal thing.
God knows your problems more than you or anyone else do.
We have seen countries like Nigeria who believe their religion are the only ones chosen by God but the go cap in hands to the Chinese and Japanese asking for aids.
Self deceit!
Actually Hindus and Buddhists do not teach that
Has a Hindhu or Buddhist ever tried to convert you?
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Funkybabee(f): 7:03pm On Aug 09, 2021
Lol, one if the l0st soul

See yeye boy grin

For those people that said they are made or can live alone without God, remember that your life is like a rug laid on a sinking ground, it will soon remove one-day, don't let devil deceive you..

He will come and give you dirty slap any time he's ready for you

He will collect something dear to your life which will even lead to more frustration

May God open your heart to receive the word.

Agent of dev!l are much here to dece!ve you. Take note.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by sotall(m): 7:05pm On Aug 09, 2021
Gilbertkwabena:

Lol... and those who doesn't follow ur so called doesn't know this mystery? or those who lives in deep forest that refuse to be known up till date don't know these mystery? stop fooling urself, b4 ur god was invented, people have always connected nd known mysteries... in fact the invention d religion u follow is rather taking ppl away from God rather than letting them know God.

Read my first comment which you responded to but this time more slowly
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by enyiinne(m): 7:24pm On Aug 09, 2021
So because things are going well for you then you think it's by your power or hardwork? Your parents prayers is working for you, once they are gone who will intercede on your behalf? Looking at how Christianity is Jesus himself asked his disciplines that will I meet faith on earth by the time I return? Luke 18:8
The Prophets, pastors and type of Christians u meet are the reason for that question Jesus asked nd now it is working coz one you or more ppl start leaving Christianity because of pastors behavior.

Pastors will only answer for his own unrighteousness, you will answer for yours too. It is an individual thing, everyone will carry his own cross.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by litaninja(m): 7:44pm On Aug 09, 2021
**yawn**
Who created the creator of the existing cells?

sotall:
undecided

You need a personal encounter with God.
I didn't say you should go to church or mosque. Just search deeper within your heart and be sincere with your desire for God and he will shew himself to you.

You have taken a bold decision by wanting to stay away from religion but then you still have to battle with the mystery of the spiritual nature of man.
To answer that question, you need God.

To find God, you need a sincere and honest desire of your heart and will.

Remember science cannot answer the spiritual nature of man and this mystery is what all humans must confront and solve someday while you are alive on earth.
My advise is dont wait for life issues to make you running looking for your creator.

I always remember my biological class when we learnt about the theory of cells. Cells are the basic unit of life including humans.
Now one fact that was stated during that class is that " all cells come from previously-existing cells".
This means you have a creator. Take your time and find him.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by litaninja(m): 7:45pm On Aug 09, 2021
Just don't bother. You'll be trying to apply logic in an illogical conversation. Just do your own thing.
indadi:
My Dad called me this evening to tell me the essence of praying. The thing is that I don't believe praying solves anything Atleast to me. the day I stopped believing and started working more on myself, I found out that things started getting better for me than those who goes to the Church and Mosques.

When I think about a lot of things I have read and what I have experienced I feel like I have always been deceived all my life.

The Pastors and Prophets with their fake miracles or the Boko Haram and their suicide with the reasons of going to heaven to get virgins.

I currently live with them though I plan on moving to my own place by the end of this year or early next year.

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Harpyeagle(m): 7:47pm On Aug 09, 2021
Calibrator:
Same way I did.

By pointing out the obvious plot holes in the stories contained in the story books of whatever religion they practice.

They will start avoiding you themselves when they don't have any logical answers to your enquiries then you will have the freedom to do as you please.
Could you pls tell me some of these plot holes. Mind you i know a lot of "plotholes" to which i have never found explanation to. Just want to hear the ones u noticed
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Princewell2012(m): 7:59pm On Aug 09, 2021
If you forget about God on this planet then you are worst than a dead man, it is better you have not been born than to live without God. what you are simply saying is that Satan is now my God and my creator. Then the real person who owns you will wait for you on the day you die. Guess what, He will allow Satan to drag you straight to hell . Have you seen a police man drag people into their van and you will be struggling with them, that is how Satan will drag you to hell on the day you finally gave up the ghost. Am not trying to scare you but this warning will come to your remembrance on that day, but it have become too late and at the same time your blood will not be on my head.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by sotall(m): 8:12pm On Aug 09, 2021
litaninja:
**yawn**
Who created the creator of the existing cells?

ask biological scientists who concluded that all cells come from previously-existing cells
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Cousin9999: 8:20pm On Aug 09, 2021
If you have to ask this question, don't bother.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by hopefulLandlord: 8:39pm On Aug 09, 2021
rosalieene:

the birth of an Atheist.
Just like your dad said, ITS GOD OR NOTHING!!
HE HAS SEEN LIFE. HE KNOWS NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT GOD.
EVER WONDERED WHY PEOPLE AT OLD AGE RUN TO GOD?
HOW MANY OLDER PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY ARE ATHEISTS?
HAVE YOU PONDERED OVER THIS?

WHEN LIFE HITS YOU SO HARD, THEN YOU WILL REALISE THAT ITS GOD OR NOTHING.

nonsense
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by kole88(m): 8:40pm On Aug 09, 2021
I AM BORN IN INTO A Christian FAMILY, MY BUT MY GRAND PARENTS ARE ANCESTRAL WORSHIPERS, AS FOR NOW AM THE ONLY ANCESTRAL WORSHIPER IN THE FAMILY, I BELIEVE IN GOD, IN THE SUPPER NATURAL BEING, BUT MY SIB SURMON ME IN IN AN EXTENDED FAMILY MEETING DEMANDING MY FAITH, I TOLD THEM, I STOOD MY GROUND, THEY WERE SPEECHLESS, THERE WERE PASTORS, IMANS, AND MANY OTHER, I DONT LET PEOPLE READ THE QURAN OR THE BIBLE FOR ME, I READ IT MY SELF. AM CLEAN, LIKE MY ANCESTORS.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Karleb(m): 8:46pm On Aug 09, 2021
Don't even try it.

But if you are adamant and go ahead anyway, be prepared for the worse.

It is then you'd know the life of an atheist is very very hard.

The replies on this thread is enough proof.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Poleski: 8:56pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:

You're like me in regards to religion. The only difference is that my people know already. Even though, they don't like it, they still love me.

If you think your family will throw out of the house (as you still live with them) because of it, then don't tell them until you get your own place.

Religion shouldn't be by force! If religion was so great, brainwashing kids (before they can make their own choice) won't exist! They brainwash kids to ensure they have future blind followers!

Good luck!
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by jtreasure1(f): 9:14pm On Aug 09, 2021
You should know that it is God that has given you the power to do all you are able to do. You can't do without HIM (God) believe me.
Remember, by strength shall no man prevail.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by Pelecius: 9:23pm On Aug 09, 2021
aribisala0:

I got you to be saying that people need to work and pray . Together
I am not sure if you get me though

I am saying that you can only say that for yourself
Many people do well without any prayer at all
Of course, people do well without prayers, by just following the right principles. Which was why I said DILIGENCE is the primary principle for economic freedom. Anyone who's diligent in what he does will climb high (it's a Biblical principle also. Prov 22:29)

Prayers is an added advantage on such case.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by aribisala0(m): 9:29pm On Aug 09, 2021
Pelecius:

Of course, people do well without prayers, by just following the right principles. Which was why I said DILIGENCE is the primary principle for economic freedom. Anyone who's diligent in what he does will climb high (it's a Biblical principle also. Prov 22:29)

Prayers is an added advantage on such case.
You make it sound like "diligence" as applied in pursuing economic freedom is a virtue
I really do not know what you mean by climb high or biblical principle
Working purposefully is a UNIVERSAL principle whether or not you are aware of the existence of the bible and that economic freedom may arise from stealing, Ask Nigerian politicians, kidnapping and so on

The problem with religious dogmatics is a tendency to very superficial thinking tainted by confirmation bias and a lack of self awareness i.e. inability to self critique their mental processes

1 Like

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by BamakSNR(m): 9:51pm On Aug 09, 2021
Professorcplus:
@op indadi. Welcome to reality... It only takes one with a bold mind to take such bold decision.... I was once like you... But I will share you with few life skills... Because, religion is embedded in our society.

A. You have to create a purpose for yourself to fill into those your over religion era. Truly one of the purpose of religion is to create purpose and meanings to this meaningless life. If the meaning becomes obscure, you create one for yourself...

B. Not being religious doesn't mean you have to become bad and lost your humanity in you. You have just over grown doing good thing for religion/heavenly rewards, instead, you do then for doing sake, out of good will regardless.

C. You need to recreate yourself, listen to podcasts, topic you seem interested, read book, you can even start exploring other religions book/bible, listen to the christian sermon. There are good lessons and life principles you can pick up from them all discarding the unirrelevant ones.

D. No doubt, you will always found yourself among the religious one, learn to get along with then, you don't necessarily need agree with then, Afterall everyone has a belief of disbelief in something.. Just stick to what you belief in. As for your parents, play along till they get the drift.

E. Learn to know that your destiny is in your hand. Do what you can do within your capacity/hand and do not leave everything to changes just like majority of xtains, they pray, pray more than they work.. and abandon major life principles...

F. Regardless of what you are, who you are, life can be hard, and funny enough, it doesn't give sh!t about anyone. People stick to religion because it simple make then feel good during trying times... You might as well have overgrown solidarity in the concept of God/religion but attimes, we need to keep our imagination higher. Find what give you that high fantasy. One of mine is casting crown songs and other good lyrics, I watch how superman save the world, I day dream even though I don't believe but it makes me feel better.

G. Lastly, don't waist all your youthful time, trying to make a point to people especially people of different faith, keep your faith to yourself, and let your actions do the talking. everyone can't agree with you. Just like most xtains don't associates with unbelivers, just like other religions doesn't associates with other. Move with those that accept you and leave those who doesn't just like King Solomon in the bible.

Religion put you in cage, you have to liberate yourself from man-made concept
Cc. KallmemrB0, rosalieene,  BamakSNR, janeYave
Oga I'm talking about spirituality of life but not religiosity.
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by CALCULUS16: 9:59pm On Aug 09, 2021
You don't want to belong to any religion or you don't believe in God. The purpose of religion is to reconnect you back to your creator. Its not about success. Most people think being successful is equal to having everything, becoming a billionaire, see you cant do anything beside God, if u have to be irreligious then try and be spiritual, but if u have to be spiritual then u need a part of religion.
I pray you don't see problems that will bring you down to the extent of seeking solutions until you pray. Prayer is our weapon, for those who believe in the power of the Almighty God

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by aribisala0(m): 10:07pm On Aug 09, 2021
CALCULUS16:
You don't want to belong to any religion or you don't believe in God. The purpose of religion is to reconnect you back to your creator. Its not about success. Most people think being successful is equal to having everything, becoming a billionaire, see you cant do anything beside God, if u have to be irreligious then try and be spiritual, but if u have to be spiritual then u need a part of religion.
I pray you don't see problems that will bring you down to the extent of seeking solutions until you pray. Prayer is our weapon, for those who believe in the power of the Almighty God
Thinking has solved more problems for mankind.
I recommend it highly and I wish you don't have to wait to encounter major problems that force you to cultivate the habit of thinking
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by viktohmarkz(m): 10:27pm On Aug 09, 2021
indadi:

First dont rule out God entirely, e get why

There is a source of life, the Divine, the Absolute, the Supreme Being, the One who most call God.

This life didn't pop out of no where, and at that you should know that there is a reason for everything.

You not feeling religious is not a bad thing but would be when you rule out the common sense.
You stopped feeling the urge because you got a great calling to "Know thy self" which is the urge every great man that walks on earth got.

Align with your spirit, know your demons, know the skeletons in your closet.

In place of prayers and shouting, MEDITATE

And watch your life be what and hoe you want it.

I've gone down this path, when i attend church services its like am watch a nigerian movie live,
I had to quietly stop going to and put my questions to myself,

Folks wont understand you, till date my famiky says im at war with God, but truth God is in my Heart

Try taking your time to watch "BLACK IS KING" the movie
Black man has lost his steps with God,
Our spirits has been crushing to believe so much of the white man's story that we forgot our history

Stay woke, stay hungry for the truth
#Peace
Re: How Do I Explain To My Parents That I Don't Want To Belong To Any Religion by aribisala0(m): 10:30pm On Aug 09, 2021
But God popped out of nowhere?

The simple truth is all that is just speculation that you like
NOBODY KNOWS

Why does a cause have to be a "being"

Many people claim that God created man in his image but

THE REVERSE IS THE CASE

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

3 Things To Do After A Spiritual Spouse Deliverance That A Pstor Won't Tell You / 'I Don't Believe In Hell Fire' / The Lords Chosen: Instant Miracles From Taraba State Crusade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.