Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,190 members, 7,822,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! (16090 Views)

Another Pastor Rides Church Members Like Horses, Even Made Them Eat Soap / Another Pastor Caught Sleeping With A Church Member To Solve Pregnancy Problem / Another Pastor And Private Jet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by denzel2009: 1:37am On May 19, 2011
ekt_bear:

@koboj and @denzel2009:

I guess there are two separate but related issues.

1) How do we ensure that a non-profit like a big church actually is following both the rules and restrictions of non-profit status? Are they required to submit receipts/records and are they audited? If so, how does a pastor end up with a $30 million jet? And if the jet is owned by the church and not him personally, then shouldn't there be heavy restrictions on its use? Even forgetting about the jet. What if the church opens up a school, bakery, and other entities that compete against people who must pay taxes? This is why oversight seems pretty important to me.
2) Why exactly should non-profits all not pay tax? What is the rationale behind this, I guess?

Churches and charity trusts get taxed. They are somehow regulated, cos they have to register with the companies house, file tax returns and governed by board of trustees.

Those guys buy expensive jets and all sorts cos they are considered business expenses which are allowable deductions in income before tax. By the time, they justify the need for 4 jets for evangelism and all the necessary associated running costs, and Pastors salaries and emoluments are deducted, the tax payable is reduced.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by wesley80(m): 1:47am On May 19, 2011
Violent,
I go to church to fulfill a religious obligation not to practice a democracy. If I trust a Pastor well enuff to sit among his congregation at least once a week for a minimum of 3hrs, then I believe he's capable of managing whatever funds r in his care. Pity u have no clue as to how most big churches r run but for most there r structures and hierarchies and procedures. Whatever is the case, my obligation ends when i give, i have no business questioning how my money is spent, if i'm not comfortable with what i'm seeing i'm free to walk afterall dem no bury my placenta there. Religion isnt something meant to be rationalized, it is incomprehensible to the carnal man (woman) - of which we've got quite a number on this thread.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by wesley80(m): 2:09am On May 19, 2011
@Denzel
U arent quite right cos for a business to justify an expense as a biz running cost it has got to pass the WREN test which is that;
The asset was acquired WHOLLY for the biz
It was a REASONABLE purchase
It was bought EXCLUSIVELY for the biz and
it was a NECESSARY purchase
All four tests r required to be passed before a purchase can be allowed as part of running expenses and as such if this criteria were to be used, it wld be impossible to justify the purchase of 4 jets. Not like our tax authorities really wld care anyway.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by naijaking1: 2:10am On May 19, 2011
wesley80:

Violent,
I go to church to fulfill a religious obligation not to practice a democracy. If I trust a Pastor well enuff to sit among his congregation at least once a week for a minimum of 3hrs, then I believe he's capable of managing whatever funds r in his care. Pity u have no clue as to how most big churches r run but for most there r structures and hierarchies and procedures. Whatever is the case, my obligation ends when i give, i have no business questioning how my money is spent, if i'm not comfortable with what i'm seeing i'm free to walk afterall dem no bury my placenta there. Religion isnt something meant to be rationalized, it is incomprehensible to the carnal man (woman) - of which we've got quite a number on this thread.
If you find a way to explain the Christian faith to non-believing muslim, please let me know grin
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Nobody: 2:15am On May 19, 2011
I believe it's on record oyedepo has made all his money from running his church. Exploitative as this may seem, this is the strategy most pastors in Nigeria use. They just make sure they get the rich and super-rich into their church and the rest is god's blessing. I mean, consider having only 2 million members (far more than winners probably has at the moment worldwide).
2million x an average of 200 naira every sunday = N400m for just a sunday.
even then 200 naira is only too small.

Again, a number of politicians serve him well, and he does the job of helping cleanse their money for guiltless spending. . .
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by denzel2009: 2:28am On May 19, 2011
wesley80:

@Denzel
U arent quite right cos for a business to justify an expense as a biz running cost it has got to pass the WREN test which is that;
The asset was acquired WHOLLY for the biz
It was a REASONABLE purchase
It was bought EXCLUSIVELY for the biz and
it was a NECESSARY purchase
All four tests r required to be passed before a purchase can be allowed as part of running expenses and as such if this criteria were to be used, it wld be impossible to justify the purchase of 4 jets. Not like our tax authorities really wld care anyway.

So tell me how the church jets will not pass the WREN test?
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by violent(m): 6:57am On May 19, 2011
wesley80:

Violent,

Gosh!  Nigerians are dumb! so so so dumb!  Give me your money and ask no questions. . . .gosh! i feel like i've wasted my life trying to obtain professional degree when i should have just become a Pastor!

I remember asking this same question in a Nigerian church here in the UK and the following is what i got from the congregation

my obligation ends when i give, i have no business questioning how my money is spent, if i'm not comfortable with what i'm seeing i'm free to walk

I walked!. . .simple! 

This is not meant to be a religious thread, but do you folks even think it makes any sense to ask that if Jesus nor the apostles haven't mention tithing for just once then it must be like several other Jewish traditions that are now irrelevant?. . .No?

The brain washing going on within the religious spheres of naija is mouth gapping!

*****Give me your money, ask no questions****

naijaking1:

If you find a way to explain the Christian faith to non-believing muslim, please let me know grin

No son,. . . . . . I am more of the Christian who believes in loving God and loving your neighbors, . . . . .I am more of the person who believes that God is not interested in your money but the content of your heart and your humbleness in worship. . . .

Your Pastors are cunning liars who only want to steal from you, they'd throw everything at you in the name of religious obligation, fck that shyt, Jesus wasn't even obeying any religious obligation while on earth!

wake up you ídiots!
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Rhino5dm: 8:13am On May 19, 2011
The question that intrest me most is who is going to take the lead if those pastors pass away?
I wish i will be alive when these miracle men passed on.

Their wives? Children? Brothers? Family members? Or the most senior and faithful fellow in the church.

Notice how they are systematically making their wives and children high ranking members in the church.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by wesley80(m): 8:14am On May 19, 2011
^^^ Na your Papa be eediot.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Rhino5dm: 8:19am On May 19, 2011
What have i done? shocked shocked shocked

wesley80:

^^^ Na your Papa be eediot.

Edited: I guess thats was not meant for me. cheesy cheesy
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by wesley80(m): 8:31am On May 19, 2011
^^ It sure wasnt.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by naijaking1: 8:37am On May 19, 2011
violent:

This is not meant to be a religious thread, but do you folks even think it makes any sense to ask that if Jesus nor the apostles haven't mention tithing for just once then it must be like several other Jewish traditions that are now irrelevant?. . .No?
The brain washing going on within the religious spheres of naija is mouth gapping!

*****Give me your money, ask no questions****
Religion is as much about faith as it is about politics, so you're correct in bring it to the political section section where your cockeyed view and attacks on Christians will be stoutly defended. If you're a christian, you would have known better.

No son,. . . . . . I am more of the Christian who believes in loving God and loving your neighbors, . . . . .I am more of the person who believes that God is not interested in your money but the content of your heart and your humbleness in worship. . . .

Your Pastors are cunning liars who only want to steal from you, they'd throw everything at you in the name of religious obligation, fck that shyt, Jesus wasn't even obeying any religious obligation while on earth!
wake up you ídiots!

So much for the loving Christian shocked shocked shocked
It beats me to think that some half educated mallams will come to N/L, pretend to be what they're not, and even try to sling a few religious attacks under the radar, and expect nobody to notice.

Once again, and for the last time, religious services cost money, whether your Christian, Jew, or Muslim. Because the federal goverment bear most of the muslim religious cost doesn't mean it's free. Jews sometimes even have to pay to sit down in their places of worship. Yes, and yes, our Bible advocates tithing to 10%. If you don't like it, go jump a lake, you hear cool
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by sirjec(m): 8:51am On May 19, 2011
You see these Nairalanders, it is sufficient for us to talk on tribes and criticize other tribes, criticize GEJ and other government official and politicians, criticize dead corp members, do anything we wish, but do not insult God or his anointed servant.

We know in parts and we speak in parts, but God knows everything. So, Let us not do God's work because we can attract God's wrath. Touch not my anointed and do my prophet no harm.

We know that there are fake men of God but let us leave it for God to punish them like HE did in the days of Jeremiah.

Please OP delete this topic
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Jakumo(m): 9:06am On May 19, 2011
The money used by Nigeria's miracle pastors to finance the purchase of private luxury jet aircraft was actually printed and packaged for delivery in Heaven, by the Fort Jesus Printing Mint, for the specific purpose of ensuring that each and every pastor OF REPUTE in Nigeria is able to acquire the means to fly up to the heavens as and when deemed necessary by The Anointed, to visit  the Almighty in person.

As an aspiring miracle pastor, I can attest that when one devotes one's life to The Calling, visions and miracles do occur.  I recently woke up from a magnificent wet dream, during which a stacked church secretary urgently ministered to me in the boudoir of my private jet at 40,000 feet above sea level, while I Spoketh in Tongues, saw visions, performed miracle healings by the Laying On of Hands, and generally followed the way of divine righteousness, in the name of Jeeesus amen.

Atheists, Agnostics, Animists, Antagonists, camel-jockeys and other disgruntled elements who display open jealousy regarding the ownership of luxury aircraft by Nigeria's Personal Assistants to God, shall never get to experience the sighs, moans, and wonders that transpire amid the decadent opulence aboard those airborne penthouses, in the name of Jeeeeeesus.  Amen.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by KnowAll(m): 9:21am On May 19, 2011
[size=18pt]Universal Laws of the universe, there is seed time and there is harvest time, It can also be called " God's law", I don't know about you but anytime I put obsene money down as 'tithe' my fortune changes, there is something airy about this concept but it works like magic, hence why the Church is big business in Nigeria[/size]. 
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by hercules07: 9:26am On May 19, 2011
Nigerians and their religious delusions.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Bawss1(m): 9:30am On May 19, 2011
Jakumo:

The money used by Nigeria's miracle pastors to finance the purchase of private luxury jet aircraft was actually printed and packaged for delivery in Heaven, by the Fort Jesus Printing Mint, for the specific purpose of ensuring that each and every pastor OF REPUTE in Nigeria is able to acquire the means to fly up to the heavens as and when deemed necessary by The Anointed, to visit  the Almighty in person.

As an aspiring miracle pastor, I can attest that when one devotes one's life to The Calling, visions and miracles do occur.  I recently woke up from a magnificent wet dream, during which a stacked church secretary urgently ministered to me in the boudoir of my private jet at 40,000 feet above sea level, while I Spoketh in Tongues, saw visions, performed miracle healings by the Laying On of Hands, and generally followed the way of divine righteousness, in the name of Jeeesus amen.

Atheists, Agnostics, Animists, Antagonists, camel jockeys and other disgruntled elements who display open jealousy regarding the ownership of luxury aircraft by Nigeria's Personal Assistants to God, shall never get to experience the sighs, moans, and wonders that transpire amid the decadent opulence aboard those airborne penthouses, in the name of Jeeeeeesus.  Amen.
cheesy cheesy
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Jakumo(m): 9:30am On May 19, 2011
KnowAll:

[size=18pt]

anytime I put obsene money down as 'tithe' my fortune changes, there is something airy about this concept but it works like magic, hence why the Church is big business in Nigeria[/size].  

Hey my fortune changes too, when I pay obscene money for anything, since I usually wind up broke, frustrated and swindled - like last night for example.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by dustydee: 9:35am On May 19, 2011
They sell books, DVDs and Cds, offerings and tithes etc.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by KnowAll(m): 9:39am On May 19, 2011
Hey my fortune changes too, when I pay obscene money for anything, since I usually wind up broke, frustrated and swindled - like last night for example.

I know you too well, you would never give your hard earn money to any priest. Your money probably went down a woman's bosom I know you are obsess with a well rounded 'bosoms' from your comments on those women baring it all in Ekiti State and also your recent comments about how " pristine" Asian women are. But I would urge you to give it a try, give some money to a church for once in your life and see your fortune change for the better.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by violent(m): 10:16am On May 19, 2011
sirjec:

You see these Nairalanders, it is sufficient for us to talk on tribes and criticize other tribes, criticize GEJ and other government official and politicians, criticize dead corp members, do anything we wish, but do not insult God or his anointed servant.

We know in parts and we speak in parts, but God knows everything. So, Let us not do God's work because we can attract God's wrath. Touch not my anointed and do my prophet no harm.

We know that there are fake men of God but let us leave it for God to punish them like HE did in the days of Jeremiah.

Please OP delete this topic

This is exactly one of the views i so much despise! 

Annointed men of God are entitled to 10% of people's earnings, along with several gift items which could come in the form of cars, goats, plasma tvs etc etc.
Annointed men of God must never be questioned, they are higher humans and are free to do what they wish, questioning them would be much akin to insulting God.

Ask yourself What Would Jesus Do?  Give 10% of his salary to a Pastor who already has two luxurious Jets parked in his hanger along with a fleet of cars. . . . . or give the money to his neighbour who could barely survive on 2 meals a day?. . . .Let's say in this instance, Jesus could only part with 10% of his salary?

Universal Laws of the universe, there is seed time and there is harvest time, It can also be called " God's law", I don't know about you but anytime I put obsene money down as 'tithe' my fortune changes, there is something airy about this concept but it works like magic, hence why the Church is big business in Nigeria

would this same law apply if you decide not to give the church your tithe but instead decide to put it to fund a water project in your community or feed a family of six?  It would be an unfair law if it doesn't, No?

Church is simply a big business in Nigeria because it is easy to convince people that if they don't part with 10% of their earnings, they are either not going to be successful or they are going to hell. . .what surprises me however is that this doctrine is preached only in Africa, peharps because most Africans tend to be gullible? in nature?
I ve been attending a fellowship in church where members are mostly british, and I am yet to see a situation where a deep bowl is passed around for congregration to put their hard earned cash in,. . .are these people sinning for not collecting tithes from the Public?

I was soooo mad when a couple of years ago back in school, someone advised i pay tithe on my pocket money. . .seriously?

This is just a massive fraud, clearly the money is not ending up in God's pocket, the monies, only end up in bank bullions, and jet purchase!

Even the Jews, the original custodians of religious teachings, don't pay tithe today, where is Nigeria getting its own form of Christianity from?
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by sirjec(m): 11:36am On May 19, 2011
violent:

This is exactly one of the views i so much despise! 

Annointed men of God are entitled to 10% of people's earnings, along with several gift items which could come in the form of cars, goats, plasma tvs etc etc.
Annointed men of God must never be questioned, they are higher humans and are free to do what they wish, questioning them would be much akin to insulting God.

Ask yourself What Would Jesus Do?  Give 10% of his salary to a Pastor who already has two luxurious Jets parked in his hanger along with a fleet of cars. . . . . or give the money to his neighbour who could barely survive on 2 meals a day?. . . .Let's say in this instance, Jesus could only part with 10% of his salary?

would this same law apply if you decide not to give the church your tithe but instead decide to put it to fund a water project in your community or feed a family of six?  It would be an unfair law if it doesn't, No?

Church is simply a big business in Nigeria because it is easy to convince people that if they don't part with 10% of their earnings, they are either not going to be successful or they are going to hell. . .what surprises me however is that this doctrine is preached only in Africa, peharps because most Africans tend to be gullible? in nature?
I ve been attending a fellowship in church where members are mostly british, and I am yet to see a situation where a deep bowl is passed around for congregration to put their hard earned cash in,. . .are these people sinning for not collecting tithes from the Public?

I was soooo mad when a couple of years ago back in school, someone advised i pay tithe on my pocket money. . .seriously?

This is just a massive fraud, clearly the money is not ending up in God's pocket, the monies, only end up in bank bullions, and jet purchase!

Even the Jews, the original custodians of religious teachings, don't pay tithe today, where is Nigeria getting its own form of Christianity from?

My dear, Christianity is not by force though Islam is. But in Christianity, you are not under any compulsion to give gifts, offerings, pay tithes, pray, read your bible. It's a thing of choice. If you want God to do something for you, you do what he asks you to do.

The bible clearly told us how Abraham paid tithe to Melchizedek. If you go through the books of Leviticus to Deutronomy, you will see God's laws on giving and taking and you will also see why God instructed us to give. However, Christians are not under any compulsion to give. If you don't give, good for you. As for me and my family, I give to God and I don't want to know who eats it because God provides all we need. I've never been hungary because I gave.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by naijaking1: 12:40pm On May 19, 2011
^^^
Good job there, but you're preaching christianity to a muslim.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Akanbiedu(m): 1:45pm On May 19, 2011
^^^

How did you know the guy is muslim?
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by GODSON2009(m): 2:11pm On May 19, 2011
there are several ways pastor oyedepo gets revenue
he is an accomplished author of several books which sells in their hundreds of thousands considering his congregation who are ready customers that is a sizeable amount of money over the years

he has audio,video and dvd of his many preachings which sell quite well as well

he gets honorarium when on speaking engagements which could run into millions for each speaking engagement especially when speaking abroad

being a pastor and head of his church/ministry his salary will be equivalent of a company ceo with its attendant welfare benefits

his congregation sow into his life and annointing which could be from as low as 100 naira to 100 million naira(and yeas individuals do give that kind of money) i know a friend's uncle who gave 50 million to a popular pastor.

being the head of a church with business men/women professionals etc the pastor is more likely to get free tips,advices etc on investments if he is so business inclined
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Bawss1(m): 2:24pm On May 19, 2011
GODSON2009:

his congregation sow into his life and annointing which could be from as low as 100 naira to 100 million naira(and yeas individuals do give that kind of money) i know a friend's uncle who gave 50 million to a popular pastor.

What was he trying to do? Buy his way to heaven? cheesy

People have made enriching their pastors a basic tenet of Christianity so challenging this is next to impossible.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by oderemo(m): 2:25pm On May 19, 2011
@GODSON2009. you are turning this into a joke now, are u able to put a simple cost to the above pls, i.e the books, the speeches, the audios and tapes etc.
and y should his congregation sow into oyedepos life and not theirs,  shouldnt  the pastors dissuade mmbers  doing this.
anoda question that been wagging the tail is y is 2 of oyedepos son the head his international arm, i.e london and the U.S OR THAT IS PART OF  sowing into the family ?
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Nobody: 3:06pm On May 19, 2011
I hadly comment in this types of topics for some reasons, one of which is that if we have any respect the Lord, then we must repsect His servants. If there is any judgement, then let the Lord judge them.

As for the issue at stake, the Bishop has several books are sold world wide and their copies run into millions.

Now, one sigle book that sells for a million copies at the profit of N50 only is N50 Million.

I know someone who just finished writing a book, and is looking for a publisher in the US who can publish and sell and make returns.

He is targeting a million copies at $1 profit. that translates to $1 million.

Let us be very careful.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Kobojunkie: 3:18pm On May 19, 2011
sirjec:

My dear, Christianity is not by force though Islam is. But in Christianity, you are not under any compulsion to give gifts, offerings, pay tithes, pray, read your bible. It's a thing of choice. If you want God to do something for you, you do what he asks you to do.

The bible clearly told us how Abraham paid tithe to Melchizedek. If you go through the books of Leviticus to Deutronomy, you will see God's laws on giving and taking and you will also see why God instructed us to give. However, Christians are not under any compulsion to give. If you don't give, good for you. As for me and my family, I give to God and I don't want to know who eats it because God provides all we need. I've never been hungary because I gave.

um . . . you might want to calm down next time, read the message contained to gain a better understanding of what is being said. Your post does not change any of the message contained in what @Violent has there.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by oderemo(m): 3:47pm On May 19, 2011
Now, one sigle book that sells for a million copies at the profit of N50 only is N50 Million.
we are gething some where, thats acct for 1/2 mill dollar or there about,
for s single jet that cost $30mill. , am greatfully looking for the oda $29.5 mill.
cos 4 x $30 mill = $120 mill.
lets keep looking
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by oderemo(m): 3:52pm On May 19, 2011
for s single jet that  cost $30mill. , am greatfully looking for the oda $29.5 mill.
lets keep looking
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Nobody: 4:03pm On May 19, 2011
ode remo:

for s single jet that cost $30mill. , am greatfully looking for the oda $29.5 mill.
lets keep looking

I just checked my post again, I never said the man's income is N50 million. I only used a single logic to show the power of little monies multipled by a large volume. The man has been on the scene for years with plenty of CDs, VCDs, DVDs and Books on sale all over the world.

A church that has a 1 million membership with average of N100 offering in a week = N100 Million. This means N400 million per month or N4.8 Bliion in one year. The power of numbers is the key. Peoples lives are touched through messages of hope and encouragement, and they in turn thank God by releasing their resources.

I know of a man who once gave N300,000.00 as an offering to support the building of their church auditorium. (Both the man and the chuirch in question is not Winners, just to give an example).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Things You Should Not Do When You Visit A New Church You Don't Know About / Maintain Territory! - Becky Enenche Tells Women (Video) / Bakare Vs Oyedepo, Adeboye, Kumuyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.