Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,043 members, 7,825,312 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! (16100 Views)

Another Pastor Rides Church Members Like Horses, Even Made Them Eat Soap / Another Pastor Caught Sleeping With A Church Member To Solve Pregnancy Problem / Another Pastor And Private Jet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Nobody: 2:59pm On May 20, 2011
duno:

GBAM!

For all those who believe pastors are reaping their congregations off hence their wealth - GO AND START YOUR OWN CHURCH and see how easy it is.

angry angry joblessness!

Maybe, we won't do this because we can't murder our consciences by selling hope to a few people.

1. The people were hungry. They gave Jesus some bread and fish <i no fit remember the exact amount, no vex>. He multiplied it and they all ate.
2. Jesus said we should follow his example
3. I'm not one to quote verses just to support my view, but I feel inclined to do so. James 1:26 If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. 27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

A religious guru in India just died. His name was Sai Baba. He did miracles, healings and elevated his hometown from a place synonymous with poverty to a place of wealth. He touched the people's lives in so many ways, you can google him. HE NEVER TRAVELLED TO THE WEST. INSTEAD THE WEST TRAVELLED TO THE EAST TO VISIT HIM.

You can say all you want to say, but when a PASTOR can do no wrong in your eyes, your focus might have moved from GOD to the MAN of god.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by GLOBALX: 3:00pm On May 20, 2011
Its so funny how people could so foolish here,why raise this kind of senseless topic in the first place?,if you want to know how he made his money,take a bus to sango-ota ogun state and ask him.Dont come here to raise topics that will cause unnecessary argument.´´Foolish cow´´ grin grin grin
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by violent(m): 3:00pm On May 20, 2011
@Violent and all your follower

PLEASE READ

1.GO AND START YOUR CHURCH AND GATHERED AS MUCH PEOPLE
2.I BELIEVE YOU WERE BORN A CHRISTIAN WHY ARE YOU PROSECUTING THE BODY OF CHRIST
3.COME BACK IN A YEARS TIME AND TELL US HOW MUCH YOU MADE IN YOUR CHURCH BUSINESS
4.THIS MEN OF GOD E.G OYEDEPO,ADEBOYE,KUMUYI THEY ARE ALL GRADUATE WITH EITHER FIRST CLASS IF THEY WERE IN PUBLIC BUSINESS I GUESS YOU KNOW WHERE THEY WILL BELONG NOW.
5. YOU ARE SIMPLY JEALOUS OF THEIR RICHIES

Prosecuting the body of Christ?  Hell No!

I simply frown at a society where the poorest are encouraged to part with a substantial percentage of their earnings just so an individual can afford to build a university for the rich and fly Jets across the globe. . . .Is this the body of Christ?
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by violent(m): 3:03pm On May 20, 2011
GLOBAL X:

Its so funny how people could so foolish here,why raise this kind of senseless topic in the first place?,if you want to know how he made his money,take a bus to sango-ota ogun state and ask him.Dont come here to raise topics that will cause unnecessary argument.´´Foolish cow´´ grin grin grin

are you a Pastor?
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by duno: 3:06pm On May 20, 2011
Yes, the topic is exactly what it says!  I am looking for opinions of broad minded knowledgeable Nigerians here.

1. How did Bishop David Oyedepo become so wealthy?

I have done a bit of research into the dude's profile and all i seem to get is;

David O. Oyedepo, affectionately called Papa by his followers (born September 27, 1954) is a Nigerian Christian author, Preacher and the founder and Presiding Bishop of Living Faith Church World Wide also known as Winners Chapel and its affiliated International churches known as Winners Chapel International, with headquarters in Ogun State, Nigeria. He is also the senior pastor of the acclaimed Faith Tabernacle,a 50,000 seat church auditorium reputed to be the largest church auditorium in the world by the Guinness Book of Records.[1] The Winners Chapel network of churches is present in over 300 cities in all states of Nigeria, as well as in over 63 cities in 32 African Nations, Dubai, the United Kingdom and the United States of America. Oyedepo has been seen as one of pioneers of the Christian charismatic movement in Africa and has been referred to as one of the most powerful preachers in Nigeria.

. . . .blah blah blah blah!

No products sold, no tangible services rendered even the business model is not clear, and yet this man seem to have "grown" into riches!  and he's now measured in billions!

2. The intriguing question is, what exactly is the breaking point in his life? when and how did he make his first Million?  Every successful wealthy man seem to have a story in which tears, blood and sweat was shed, what exactly is this man's story?

What lessons are there to be learnt from his story?

1&2 You can book an appointment for an interview with him, he would be in the best position to answer your questions

violent:

How come no one has answered this?

this has been answered by these

cinzo:

Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it

cinzo:

Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
Ne 13:10-12
GBN ACC FBN JFB TSK
9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

violent:

hopefully, someone could answer this as well

The church does a lot of CSR and charitable deeds. One just needs an open mind to see them.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Kobojunkie: 3:07pm On May 20, 2011
musKeeto:

A religious guru in India just died. His name was Sai Baba. He did miracles, healings and elevated his hometown from a place synonymous with poverty to a place of wealth. He touched the people's lives in so many ways, you can google him. HE NEVER TRAVELLED TO THE WEST. INSTEAD THE WEST TRAVELLED TO THE EAST TO VISIT HIM.

You can say all you want to say, but when a PASTOR can do no wrong in your eyes, your focus might have moved from GOD to the MAN of god.

Preach it!!!
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by DeeDee11: 3:11pm On May 20, 2011
In our country today I can't really differentiate who are most corrupts between our political leaders, religious leaders and traditional rulers.It is quite unfortunate, majority of them live flamboyant lifestyle on the expense of the less privilege. Yet we all fight ourselves and even to the extent of killing because of these leaders who doesn't even care if we exist or not.Majority of our ignorant people has been sent to their early  graves because of the so call miracles.

Please let us shine our eyes well well.

A religion leader only needs a comfortable lifestyle, the funniest thing is that some of these leaders asked their congregations not to watch TVs yet their own houses is built with 50' inch plasmas.

You guys should take some time out of your busy schedules to watch this revealing Channel 4 video (Derren Brown-Miracles for sale):

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derren-brown-the-specials/4od#3182173
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by violent(m): 3:16pm On May 20, 2011
@Duno.

For instance, it was a law to stone witches to death in the old testament, even God instructed, "thou shall not suffer a witch to live", yet this law along with several others were abolished in Chrsitiandom simply because Jesus has come to teach us the way of life, and the path to living our daily lives loving God.

Question is, why do Pastors still seem to hold on to the tithe thingy?  is this a rule of convinience?  where does Jesus or his Apostles advocate that believers should contniue to contribute 10% of their earnings for Pastors?-----I maintain this is just a massive fraud!

The Oyedepo dude has built a university, one which more than half of his church members would not have the means to attend, the dude now flys in jets, while those who blindly contributed the tithes and offerings could barely afford to survive hash times, does this seem fair?

You can say all you want to say, but when a PASTOR can do no wrong in your eyes, your focus might have moved from GOD to the MAN of god

Your next drink should be on me!

several of those religious fanatics posting here could worship the ground their Pastors thread on. no wonder some of those pastors are addressed by the titles "His Holiness". . .fcking seriously? shocked
Many have even forgotten about God in their bid to be religious, why should a Christian watch his next door neighbour starve while contributing 10% of his monthly pay, just for a Pastor to afford a luxurious lifestlye? even God is likely to be very furious with this No?
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by hustla(m): 3:16pm On May 20, 2011
na yahoo e do! odes tongue tongue tongue tongue grin
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 20, 2011
Meldrick:

I pity you. You hardly go to church now. So your going to church was to celebrate your pastor's wretched state but you were dissapointed to see he was doing well and living life to the fullest. You were going to church to look at man not God. You're in trouble oh. Stay at home because they will keep prospering and your going to church really has no effect on the church of God. Now you sit at to home to feast on hear say. I hear say this, I hear say that. Did you see the money in the tyres. shhhhh
You can go to church all your life and still won't be saved.
The tire issue is a fact but that's not just the issue.
I have my personal reasons for being a religious skeptic.
Going to church would make me a victim of an unscrupulous means of amassing wealth which i don't have a problem with.
I only won't be a victim, cuz my life don't depend on a pastor nor a ministry most of which usually comes to a tragic end.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Claus(m): 3:22pm On May 20, 2011
1 Timothy 6:5 leads us to conclude that godliness should not be seen as a means to profit.

It cannot be right to validate riches that are down to large congregations/millions of followers. Heeding the call to minister to people should not be a source of vast personal fortunes.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by violent(m): 3:27pm On May 20, 2011
The church does a lot of CSR and charitable deeds. One just needs an open mind to see them.

Charitable needs?  fcking Chraitable needs?

If Oyedepo could buy a 30million dollar jet, do you have an idea how many hungry Nigerians could be fed with that amount?

ask yourself What Would Jesus Do if he had 30 million dollars? buy a Jet?
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Nobody: 3:30pm On May 20, 2011
violent:

If Oyedepo could buy a 30million dollar jet, do you have an idea how many hungry Nigerians could be fed with that amount?

ask yourself What Would Jesus Do if he had 30 million dollars?  buy a Jet? 
These morons are too blinded to know they're been hoodwinked while the "PASTORS" All smile to the bank and solve their "spiritual needs" with the congregations money.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by samm(m): 3:33pm On May 20, 2011
@Violent
This is the best debate on this topic ever. I suppose the way you brought it forward set the tone for the responses.

There are just those that believe every man that so declares himself a man of God should be allowed to do as they please without rebuke.  And for the most part they are simply terrified on the though of being rational in the thoughts when it comes to "Men of God".  I don't know where that fear was put in them. Could it be the thousands or millions of sunday school teachers that you see in every street corner church in Nigeria.  
The education and orientation we get in churches which educates more people than all levels of schools combined has really shaped our mentality in Nigeria.
So Oyedepo and CO can continue to capitalize on it.  In my opinion, they are taking advantage of people period but not BREAKING THE LAW. It now becomes a matter of conscience. Do they have one?

@Kobo
A pattern is emerging.  I might finally get to start to begin the journey to scratching the surface of understanding you.  Great points.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Nobody: 3:36pm On May 20, 2011
Meldrick:

I pity you. You hardly go to church now. So your going to church was to celebrate your pastor's wretched state but you were dissapointed to see he was doing well and living life to the fullest. You were going to church to look at man not God. You're in trouble oh. Stay at home because they will keep prospering and your going to church really has no effect on the church of God. Now you sit at to home to feast on hear say. I hear say this, I hear say that. Did you see the money in the tyres. shhhhh

David Mark goes to church. Obasanjo is still a Christian. You think going to church gives you morals, teaches you how to treat people right, how to lead a people in integrity,, please one doesn't need to attend a church to have morals or even to be 'saved'. Of what use is being saved if you can't treat people right?

Most of Oyedepo's church members can't pay his university's school fees? TRUE or FALSE
Most of Oyedepo's church members are still waiting on God for cars? TRUE or FALSE
Even if his money is legit, as one who preaches love and peace and fairness, is it MORAL for him to have four PRIVATE jets? YES or NO
Do you know the POPE doesn't have a private jet?
Do you realise that with the number of members that fill up pews across the country, the church can single-handedly change the story of NIGERIA if it can sponsor PEOPLE of integrity into relevant positions?

If you blame a member's poverty on 'his faith no strong', how does that correlate with Jesus saying 'if your faith is as small as a mustard seed'?

As Joyce Meyer said 'Staying in a church won't make me a Christian, just like sleeping in a garage won't make one a car',

Maybe we need to go back to the LOVE scriptures, that's what JESUS was all about.

I'm not saying Oyedepo should not flex  grin, or not be prosperous, but a little moderation on his part would help a lot,
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by duno: 3:37pm On May 20, 2011
violent:

@Duno.

For instance, it was a law to stone witches to death in the old testament, even God instructed, "thou shall not suffer a witch to live", yet this law along with several others were abolished in Chrsitiandom simply because Jesus has come to teach us the way of life, and the path to living our daily lives loving God.

Question is, why do Pastors still seem to hold on to the tithe thingy?  is this a rule of convinience?  where does Jesus or his Apostles advocate that believers should contniue to contribute 10% of their earnings for Pastors?-----I maintain this is just a massive fraud!

The Oyedepo dude has built a university, one which more than half of his church members would not have the means to attend, the dude now flys in jets, while those who blindly contributed the tithes and offerings could barely afford to survive hash times, does this seem fair?

[b]1. Does this mean that because some rules/ commands in the old testament are no longer being practise, tithing which was also mentioned in the old testament should be done away with. That is saying that the whole old testament is no longer relevant - which is not the case.

2. You seem to have the assumption that tithe is such a big amount and so that is where the bulk of church money comes from, i think offerings are more than tithes. For example if I earn 100,000, my tithe will be 10,000, it is very possible that i give an offering(sacrificial or otherwise- wont go into purpose now) of 20, 30, or 40 thousand which is far more than my tithe. I know a lot of people who give offerings which are a lot more than their tithes. At least the new testament talks about offering, so i know u wont argue with that grin grin grin

3. Lastly, i wont go into quoting scriptures or otherwise as to if tithing is wrong. I will only talk about what i have experienced (as the hausa man will ask if u try to sell a medicine to him - have u had this type of ailment before?), I tithe in obedience to God's word (bible) and i can say that i receive the blessings of tithing. If any pastor is living an ostentatious lifestyle presumably on my tithe/offering then it is left for him and God. I do know however that some (note some) churches have systems in place - church board, accounting etc with laid down procedures on how church funds are spent. Some of these pastors dont even receive salaries from the church (again) and do preach that church money is God's money and not the pastors money.

My 2 cents!

[/b]
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by duno: 3:44pm On May 20, 2011
violent:

ask yourself What Would Jesus Do if he had 30 million dollars? buy a Jet? 

Brand_new:

These morons are too blinded to know they're been hoodwinked while the "PASTORS" All smile to the bank and solve their "spiritual needs" with the congregations money.

@ Violent you seem to know/have the answers to all your questions, so why bother asking us?
And yes- this is another pastor bashing thread!

Signs out
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Sike(m): 3:49pm On May 20, 2011
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by violent(m): 3:51pm On May 20, 2011
1. Does this mean that because some rules/ commands in the old testament are no longer being practise, tithing which was also mentioned in the old testament should be done away with. That is saying that the whole old testament is no longer relevant - which is not the case.

So why exaclty do Pastors seem hold on to this particular one? Again if Jesus did not advocate for his followers to tithe, why do Pastors preach tithing till this day?  could it be for personal selfish reasons?

@ Violent you seem to know/have the answers to all your questions, so why bother asking us?
And yes- this is another pastor bashing thread!

To be honest, i opened the thread with an open mind simply because i initially thought the dude made his money in gold business before moving into the ministry, but i was gobsmacked when i read his profile and nothing in it shows that he's been doing business previously before his calling.
This will mean that he became a billionaire profiting from the people who attended his church, to think some people find this right is totally beyond me.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by wonderz(m): 3:53pm On May 20, 2011
@Violent,
I tried as much as possible not to compose a response. But I feel you need serious enlightenment. That you passed through the four corners of an ivory tower does not make you educated. For you to understand the mystery of kingdom wealth, it takes much more than that. I've seen comment on this thread which more than answer some of your questions but should you need further answers, leave me an email and I will get in touch with you.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by duno: 3:59pm On May 20, 2011
To be honest, i opened the thread with an open mind simply because i initially thought the dude made his money in gold business before moving into the ministry, but i was gobsmacked when i read his profile and nothing in it shows that he's been doing business previously before his calling.
This will mean that he became a billionaire profiting from the people who attended his church, to think some people find this right is totally beyond me.

Hmmm gold business? Is he from Ghana? Why were you checking out his profile in the first place. Hmmm Are you a christian?
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by jaybee3(m): 4:04pm On May 20, 2011
It funny how the don't ask/question attitude has contributed immensely to the current state of affairs in Naij.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by violent(m): 4:08pm On May 20, 2011
Hmmm gold business? Is he from Ghana? Why were you checking out his profile in the first place. Hmmm Are you a christian?
Yes, my sister attends his university, and i rememer she once mentioned something about gold

and why am i checking his profile?  huh?  why do you suppose he has a public profile to begin with?  duh! for people to read of course!
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Kobojunkie: 4:10pm On May 20, 2011
duno:

I notice you don't answer questions -- you simply attack views that do not sit well with your current level of reasoning.

What does it matter if the poster is a Christian or not? If this pastor were to sit in front of, say Larry King or Pierce Morgan and be asked this question, what answers would he give? How much does he write for himself as yearly salary from all that money collected?
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by violent(m): 4:10pm On May 20, 2011
jay bee:

It funny how the don't ask/question attitude has contributed immensely to the current state of affairs in Naij.

It's shocking really, and that's why leaders can get away with soooo much!
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by duno: 4:11pm On May 20, 2011
jay bee:

^^^^^ It is a good thing to ask/ question but one must also have an open mind to what is discovered/ explanations. We should be able to question our preconceived notions also

violent:

Yes, my sister attends his university, and i rememer she once mentioned something about gold

and why am i checking his profile?  huh?  why do you suppose he has a public profile to begin with?  duh! for people to read of course!

Good for you
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by violent(m): 4:12pm On May 20, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I notice you don't answer questions -- you simply attack views that do not sit well with your current level of reasoning. What does it matter if the poster is a Christian or not? If this pastor were to sit in front of, say Larry King or Pierce Morgan and be asked this question, what answers would he give? How much does he write for himself as yearly salary from all that money collected?

I tire o, my sista!

I bet these same people would be crawling out like ants demanding Larry King's audacity to dare ask a "man of God" such a question!
geez!
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Kobojunkie: 4:14pm On May 20, 2011
duno:

^^^^^ It is a good thing to ask/ question but one must also have an open mind to what is discovered/ explanations. We should be able to question our preconceived notions also

Well, the questions have been flowing but you have yet to answer a single one.
Note: You are likely aware that you are not arguing with uninformed im-beciles -- could be reason why you feel whatever answers you have will not do.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by jaybee3(m): 4:15pm On May 20, 2011
violent:

It's shocking really, and that's why leaders can get away with soooo much!

Tell me about it, Next door neighbour suddenly becomes stupendously rich and you had see troops worshipping him instead of questioning his wealth.
As they say, anything and everything goes in naij. No be naija?
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by duno: 4:16pm On May 20, 2011
Kobojunkie:

1. I notice you don't answer questions -- you simply attack views that do not sit well with your current level of reasoning.

What does it matter if the poster is a Christian or not? If this pastor were to sit in front of, say Larry King or Pierce Morgan and be asked this question, what answers would he give? 2. How much does he write for himself as yearly salary from all that money collected?

1. How did you come to a conclusion on that? Cos I know i answered some of his questions, though i dont claim to be a know it all.

2. As i pointed out earlier someone has to volunteer to go and ask him that cos i dont think he's on NL.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Kobojunkie: 4:17pm On May 20, 2011
wonderz:

@Violent,
I tried as much as possible not to compose a response. But I feel you need serious enlightenment. That you passed through the four corners of an ivory tower does not make you educated. For you to understand the mystery of kingdom wealth, it takes much more than that. I've seen comment on this thread which more than answer some of your questions but should you need further answers, leave me an email and I will get in touch with you.

um . . . There are questions on the table, get to providing ANSWERS that are verifiable. As for your claims of mystery -- na voodoo? shocked

NOTE: Do not play the typical Nigerian card -- the "I AM HOLIER THAN THOU" card because no one is, in the sight of the Lord.
Re: This Is Not Another Pastor Bashing Thread! by Kobojunkie: 4:20pm On May 20, 2011
duno:

1. How did you come to a conclusion on that? Cos I know i answered some of his questions, though i dont claim to be a know it all.

2. As i pointed out earlier someone has to volunteer to go and ask him that cos i dont think he's on NL.

1a. At this point, it obvious from your posts that you do not have good answers and NO,you have not really provided answers, more like Attacks and rebuttals.

2a. Correction -- the man himself has given several interviews and in none has he insinuated that he made his wealth outside of the church, At least read the man's own profile to begin with.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Oyedepo

Oyedepo has received much criticism from many in the Christian community as focusing on prosperity. Oyedepo is rated as one the world richest pastors based on all his debt free self owned assets as well as those of the church he leads. By 1998, he was already one of the 10 richest pastors in the world according to him. According to Oyedepo himself, the richest pastor in the world presently is Kenneth Copeland who has given out 27 jets to different pastors as at 10th April 2011. Bishop Oyedepo is arguably among the top three richest pastors in the world especially considering his mentor 'Enoch Adeboye'.

Imagine the above in a pastor's profile? What does that say of people like Bill gates who worked hard for every single penny?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

"Holy Quran Converted Me To Christianity" Says Imam Sulaiman / Have You Ever Considered Paying Tithes To Those Who Need Help? / Maintain Territory! - Becky Enenche Tells Women (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.