Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,040 members, 7,814,554 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? - Food (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? (39048 Views)

Finally, I Killed This Bush meat Last Night. / Why Eating The Meat Last? / Eating Meat Last Or First In Meals, How Do I Train My Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Lilpen3758: 8:32pm On Sep 10, 2021
illicit:

Lol how much is meat
lol bro am just bursting your balls
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Goalnaldo(m): 8:32pm On Sep 10, 2021
We eat the meat làst to keep our dignity and respect intact. Imagine a friend of yours badges in when you're eating rice or soup without any protein.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Chiffy: 8:41pm On Sep 10, 2021
Na culture and economics cause am. When i dated a south-sudanese girl; she used to cook with a lot of meatballs and they varied in types. One plate of rice could have as many as 15 to 20 meatballs in it. So you can eat meat at any time durimg the meal.

But nigeria culture no born you well to put 15 pieces of meat inside one plate, so we economize with 1 or a few pieces. And this has psychologically and unconsciously trained our minds to save the best for the last. Once the meat is gone, the appetite will begin to reduce
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Yaks02(m): 8:41pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

Hmmmm...

The way I do it sometimes is.. If the meat is plenty, like 5 or 6 I eat some of it with the food.

But I must save the last meat for when I have finished the food. grin

This is just me ahswear

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Olusharp(m): 8:46pm On Sep 10, 2021
SimplyFacts:

How much do you want to pay for a self-con in IB? Well, maybe he has a cheaper one for you. The standard ones I know, which are located in the urban part, can't be less.

Note: I'm not the person you quoted o. Don't take my response for his.
my brother I gat you cheesy... When you talk of urban areas, can you list the areas??
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by rickyboss333: 8:50pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

Yeah but what is the origin tho?
Most ppl do not just like meat, they have grown to see it as a part of food that decides the richness or quality of the dish. They see it as d icing on d cake. Isn't that why it is sold as a different entity altogether in restaurants? Even in our homes, it has become a tradition so much that some men will even take it as an insult if served with out meat, not just because d food becomes imbalance in terms of nutrition, but because of our mentality that has come with it. I can't say when and where it all originated from, but I can relate with d feeling.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by FILEBE(m): 8:50pm On Sep 10, 2021
omakay:
A very wrong form of training that has being passed on from generation to generation and no one bothers to question these tenets.

Parents train children to see meat as gold. Why the children no go dey steal meat from pot!!!!

Funny enough, it is the same meat that is being sold as suya outside for very cheap amounts.

This present generation needs to do away with some nonsense if not our children go judge us to our face.

N.B : Children are getting very smart now thanks to Western education and they can see through all our mistakes.

Nothing wrong about it sir. Infact we should teach kids to eat the meat last. You know why? Many kids eat because of the meat, if you let them eat meat first, they won't finish eating the meal.

This I did as a kid and I always remember when I always wish to just take the meat off rice and run. As a parent how will that make you feel
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by highbee02: 8:52pm On Sep 10, 2021
It's poverty mentality, u don't need to finish the meal before eating the meat, both should go together.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by lebete3000: 8:53pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:
Ever since I was a kid, I've always been used to eating the meat last, that is, after eating the rice, or swallow or whatever is served.

I noticed that my father, mother, brothers all follow this rule.

I have also noticed it in public events. When rice is served, people usually eat the rice first and the meat last. The same goes for swallow or anything that is served with meat.

My question is, why is that so?

Why is it that most Nigerians follow this unwritten rule?

Because most of us grew up in poverty where even seeing meat ontop rice is a big privilege, and you come go chop am first.

Thank God those days are gone. I put atleast 5 big pieces of goat meat on my meal after cooking, as a single guy wey I be.

If I don't eat it first, who will?
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Oesophagus99(m): 8:54pm On Sep 10, 2021
since time memorial poverty derails Africa and this ancestry trend has been a deliberate trend to put poverty to shame with hopes to put the family life back on track.

am I makn sense to any1 out here wit brains?
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Sep 10, 2021
SeunTheOwner:

Then never put cow leg (bokoto) inside food for you, you go chop am last, the lick the bone

Same same.even if it's cow head, I'll bite it in bits till I get to the last spoon.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by illicit(m): 8:56pm On Sep 10, 2021
Teenaira:

Ole ni e. I will tell my mum !!!
Do you also eat suya or Kilishi. All na meet o.

Yes even cow

I and my cousin once had a full chicken for lunch

We couldn't finish it tho tongue
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by illicit(m): 8:58pm On Sep 10, 2021
Lilpen3758:
lol bro am just bursting your balls

Lol, no burst my balls abeg
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by illicit(m): 8:58pm On Sep 10, 2021
Dicksonnet:

How will you not?
See your name now
Illicit cooking
Illicit eating
Illicit EVERYTHING!!!
I BEG OOO NA PLAY

Na stolen meat dey sweet pass, tongue

Is it true
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by donMIG(m): 9:02pm On Sep 10, 2021
If eat meat b4 d food finish d food no go sweet again... So las las d meat is d driving force behind me eatin everytin in d plate
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by omakay(m): 9:02pm On Sep 10, 2021
FILEBE:

Nothing wrong about it sir. Infact we should teach kids to eat the meat last. You know why? Many kids eat because of the meat, if you let them eat meat first, they won't finish eating the meal.

This I did as a kid and I always remember when I always wish to just take the meat off rice and run. As a parent how will that make you feel

You have programmed these children to see the meat as gold. They will in turn treat it as gold.

Try using minced meat to prepare your stews and sauce for like 4months and see how their enthusiasm for meat will float away.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by bcbones: 9:02pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

Hmmmm...

The way I do it sometimes is.. If the meat is plenty, like 5 or 6 I eat some of it with the food.

But I must save the last meat for when I have finished the food. grin

Same here, although minus upbringing I still prefer to work the meat last for a better aftermath taste and satisfaction
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by omakay(m): 9:07pm On Sep 10, 2021
Gadahfi:

All these woke pple sef grin

How does eating the meat last wrong?
What makes eating meat first right?
What makes eating meat in between right?

What makes the western way of eating right?
Why will future generations judge us because of the way we eat meat?

That is how we’re gradually throwing our culture and lifestyle out the window because of “wokeness”.

It's funny that you complain of 'wokeness' yet you send your children to the best 'woke' schools around.

There is nothing western about eating a meal appropriately without seeing a part of the food more 'golden' than the others.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by meedoLock(m): 9:07pm On Sep 10, 2021
I think the same reason why we eat and drink during or after meal is the same reason you can make sense from eating meat during or after the real meal.
I think the purpose of feeding is to gather all the strength and nutrients you could get to keep you fit for your other endeavors hence your mind goes to the food before the meat.
So our parents are not far from the right path training us to take meal before meat, that's parental guidance. We are african and we should respect that.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by omakay(m): 9:13pm On Sep 10, 2021
SirMichael1:

So are we to live by the standard of the west? Don't they make mistake as well? Don't they have fetish or superstitions? Stop bringing down your race abeg.

Am so amazed at the speed with which you have gotten my opinion so wrong.

By Western education, I mean the form of education that makes us see the better side of life and the way we live it.

Wait ooooo.... What curriculum do you think are taught in most if not all schools in the country? ...... 'African curriculum'?.....

I don't understand why folks like you feel comfortable decieving yourselves. Abeg call what you see as what it is joooor....
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by omakay(m): 9:15pm On Sep 10, 2021
Athemisia:

The root cause of this, is poverty.

My brother, Africans with their proud nature will not agree with you ooooo...

Dem go say na 'good manners' dem dey teach the pikin.

This is just a case of ,"na who no get money dey say beer bitter"...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by OChimex: 9:15pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:
Ever since I was a kid, I've always been used to eating the meat last, that is, after eating the rice, or swallow or whatever is served.

I noticed that my father, mother, brothers all follow this rule.

I have also noticed it in public events. When rice is served, people usually eat the rice first and the meat last. The same goes for swallow or anything that is served with meat.

My question is, why is that so?

Why is it that most Nigerians follow this unwritten rule?

Simply because poverty too much for naija. So poverty mentality from our four fathers and they keep handing it down to us. So we grow with it.

Now if you get money, make you no hand am down to your own children, let that madness stop with you.

Guy if come Yankee see how people eat, you go understand say poverty sometimes dey force some cultures on us.

That we dey shout say Africa get culture, Check am well na poverty dey force us follow those cultures.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by seunny4lif(m): 9:16pm On Sep 10, 2021
See you
The training you no gree follow grin
sisisioge:

Na training....na so them train me too. Once they are old enough to understand why, them fit eat their food anyhow they like grin.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Juicy001: 9:20pm On Sep 10, 2021
When its only one meat, it comes last.
3,4,5?
I'll ration them proportionally with the food till the very end,
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by omakay(m): 9:23pm On Sep 10, 2021
spirul77:
your first paragraph makes it looks like it is a wrong thing or an abomination, every society has a way of doing things uniquely to them, why not just take it as Nigerian way of eating? Funny enough this is also done in Europe too, the way and style people live, that's culture.
I don't see anything wrong with it none have I heard a nutritionist complain about the harmful effect, so why should we change it? If you go to America and you see people eating meat before food you should know it's because it's not Nigeria, so when you see people eating meat last you should know you are in Nigeria.

Chairman, you and I know say this no be case of eating pattern.

It usually comes under the file of 'teaching the child good manners'. 'Teaching the child not to have big eyes for meat'....

Abeg, the next time we buy meatpie for our children, let us make sure we take our all the meat there and make them eat the dough and potatoes only as we wan teach them good manners.

MEAT NO BE GOLD......
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Athemisia: 9:24pm On Sep 10, 2021
omakay:

My brother, Africans with their proud nature will not agree with you ooooo...

Dem go say na 'good manners' dem dey teach the pikin.

This is just a case of ,"na who no get money dey say beer bitter"...
Exactly...
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by orumba(m): 9:24pm On Sep 10, 2021
Culture
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Lilpen3758: 9:27pm On Sep 10, 2021
illicit:

Lol, no burst my balls abeg
grin grin black man with black thoughts
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Clinghton: 9:33pm On Sep 10, 2021
When you have lots of meat you can eat it before, during and after a meal.

That's the real Joy.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by illicit(m): 9:35pm On Sep 10, 2021
Lilpen3758:
grin grin black man with black thoughts

Abi black man with black balls tongue
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Lilpen3758: 9:36pm On Sep 10, 2021
illicit:

Abi black man with black balls tongue
grin grin
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by christabell18(f): 9:41pm On Sep 10, 2021
If the meat is more than one..I'll eat some of it with the food it was served with
But if it's only one meat,lol,I'm keeping it till the end of the meal.
And if a meat is too big ...as in too big..I don't touch it at all.i get tired of the whole thing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How To Bleach Palm Oil Safely Without Causing Air Pollution (Photos, Video) / Does Eating Coconut Negate The Performance Of A Drug In One's Body? / Enugu Amala Hangout Causes Controversy On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.