Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,085 members, 7,814,758 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? (39051 Views)

Finally, I Killed This Bush meat Last Night. / Why Eating The Meat Last? / Eating Meat Last Or First In Meals, How Do I Train My Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by The5DME(m): 6:39pm On Sep 10, 2021
I eat the mean along with the rice.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by eluquenson(m): 6:39pm On Sep 10, 2021
It's just a sensation while eating that the most prestigious of the food is the meat or fish.

yorubas value the meat or fish more than the food itself thus the saying 'he who laugh last ,laugh best'

2 Likes

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Alexaonfleek: 6:40pm On Sep 10, 2021
illicit:

Beef mostly

I can eat as much as ten pieces
Small small for meat o....especially if na red meat
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by LegendaryArnold(m): 6:42pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:
Ever since I was a kid, I've always been used to eating the meat last, that is, after eating the rice, or swallow or whatever is served.

I noticed that my father, mother, brothers all follow this rule.

I have also noticed it in public events. When rice is served, people usually eat the rice first and the meat last. The same goes for swallow or anything that is served with meat.

My question is, why is that so?

Why is it that most Nigerians follow this unwritten rule?

for me na slave mentality... i dey pack meat fish egg ponmo on top my food... every spoon must contain a piece of protein
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by azadus18: 6:42pm On Sep 10, 2021
For money people ...meat is like a reward...so it goes with d popular saying "Rest is sweet after labour"
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by observanc1: 6:43pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:
Ever since I was a kid, I've always been used to eating the meat last, that is, after eating the rice, or swallow or whatever is served.

I have also noticed it in public events. When rice is served, people usually eat the rice first and the meat last. The same goes for swallow or anything that is served with meat.

i went to south korea recently and our host took us with his daughter to a correct joint. And they brought meat, meat after meat, grilled tasty all. When we were full and done, we thanked them. They say that the meal was coming. And they brought Rice and sauce. I told them 'noo, in Nigeria, we eat rice before the meat' and they replied 'oh, in south korea we eat meat before the rice'
I was like, these people are very mad. Rice without meat? Is it ever done?

2 Likes

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by omoadeleye(m): 6:43pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

Well, i don't do that here, meet first before any other thing.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Angelfrost(m): 6:43pm On Sep 10, 2021
Gabbriell:
Well, it's because Nigerians are a bunch of crazy people. grin grin grin

Nope.... Not crazy, just largely deprived of animal protein (Only few families can afford large portions of beef, fish, chicken, turkey, etc).

Standard of living among most Nigerians is laughable and pathetic.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by jaxxy(m): 6:43pm On Sep 10, 2021
Preferences bt for me if I eat the meat 1st I will get tired of the rest of the food quickly or I won’t be eager to finish it.

Meat seems to be the heaviest part of the meal.

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Habib101: 6:44pm On Sep 10, 2021
Me after 3 spoons I will start cutting the meat join nam with the rice eat, and my meat comes in 2 pieces or 3
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by pode(m): 6:44pm On Sep 10, 2021
If you tried eat the meat before or when you still have your meal is still on the plate, my mom will collect the food from you, that is the end for you
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by AZControversial(m): 6:44pm On Sep 10, 2021
grin
Hismasterpiece:

grin grin abeg...I outgrew mine jare.
The first time I attempted eating the meat while eating the rice.... my elder sister gave me this stern look. And I was like.... at my age, you're still monitoring me because of meat. Pleeaaaaaaassssseeeee!
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Analyst7: 6:45pm On Sep 10, 2021
Because the meat is like the reward of the food
Most of u here saying there's nothing there, if u see a food without meat u won't have the vibe to eat it compared to the one with meat even if the meat is small u will want to

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Dukeolumidemans(m): 6:45pm On Sep 10, 2021
Most rich people I know eat meat at anytime when eating because it's really nothing to them. They are used to it. But poverty has made alot of Nigerians to treasure that one or two pieces of meat in their food. Therefore to keep a memory of it, they make sure they eat at least one last...
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Habib101: 6:45pm On Sep 10, 2021
illicit:
Sometimes I cook just meat and eat....
wink Shikenan, end of discussion
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by chigoziri2403(m): 6:45pm On Sep 10, 2021
habsydiamond:
When u eat the meat first, the dignity of the food has disappeared... Atimes this may even quench ur hunger... Speaking from experience on this one.. I no even understand Wetin I type sef.. Can someone help me
but you are right

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Sep 10, 2021
Up till now I still don't know why Yoruba parents do that and force it on their kids cheesy
what I do know is that I can never stop it I eat my meat or fish last no matter how many...... if I won't finish the food I dare not touch the meat it's as if I'm breaking a sacred rule
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Newboss(m): 6:46pm On Sep 10, 2021
The meat is the dessert. Hence, you eat it last.

Mad o
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Angelfrost(m): 6:46pm On Sep 10, 2021
LegendaryArnold:

for me na slave mentality... i dey pack meat fish egg ponmo on top my food... every spoon must contain a piece of protein

What do you mean by "Slave Mentality"??! Abi you just wan talk because others are talking??!

That you can afford such 'affluence' doesn't mean every other person in this country is equally fortunate. Na condition make meat and fish turn to V.I.P inside plate of food for Naija.

The matter simple oga. No need to boast or exaggerate! tongue

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Angelfrost(m): 6:48pm On Sep 10, 2021
habsydiamond:
When u eat the meat first, the dignity of the food has disappeared... Atimes this may even quench ur hunger... Speaking from experience on this one.. I no even understand Wetin I type sef.. Can someone help me

Leave matter... You don talk am finish! Make we share grace!!! grin

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by PrettySmart(m): 6:48pm On Sep 10, 2021
No matter how "belle-full" you are... You can't give up on that meat/fish on your food!
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by samtinx(m): 6:49pm On Sep 10, 2021
habsydiamond:
m just laughing uncontrollable my gawd how did I even start laughing cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by RSVP: 6:49pm On Sep 10, 2021
It's just a way to physiologically train a kid to finish his food.

Kids naturally have longer throat and they would prefer to eat meat first and abandon the food.

2 Likes

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Dada4me: 6:49pm On Sep 10, 2021
It's simply because we like to progressively enjoy our meal. Meat gives more pleasure than food.

While growing up, our parents saw it as a form of training - patience especially.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by JANDRENTPR: 6:50pm On Sep 10, 2021
Let me ask ask you, when you were served, were you served meat before swallow or otherwise? Were you served meat before rice or otherwise? The same thing apply. Fiilè bè, ko wa bèè...
Hismasterpiece:

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Skyonebaba: 6:50pm On Sep 10, 2021
The best is reserved to come at last
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by nick50(m): 6:50pm On Sep 10, 2021
It's not a rule but a fact...the meat serves as an apertiser..if u eat d meat first u can't be able to finish d food that's why our parents thought us to to eat d meat last

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Lilpen3758: 6:51pm On Sep 10, 2021
illicit:
Sometimes I cook just meat and eat....
Tah you way broke die where you see money for just meat..... grin grin
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Sep 10, 2021
Harbeeorlar:
1. In case someone walks in, they may think you are eating without meat
2. When you eat the meat when you still have more food left, there are high possibility you won't finish the food

Facts cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Angrygoat: 6:52pm On Sep 10, 2021
If u like eat all the meat fish,snail,name it. If u no drink cold water,you can never enjoy the food. Forget coke .
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Enskynelson(m): 6:53pm On Sep 10, 2021
Jesus can come anytime. I will train my kids to eat their meat first.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Does Eating Coconut Negate The Performance Of A Drug In One's Body? / Enugu Amala Hangout Causes Controversy On Twitter / Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.