Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,092 members, 7,814,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:12 PM

Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? (39059 Views)

Finally, I Killed This Bush meat Last Night. / Why Eating The Meat Last? / Eating Meat Last Or First In Meals, How Do I Train My Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Gabbriell: 6:28pm On Sep 10, 2021
Well, it's because Nigerians are a bunch of crazy people. grin grin grin
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by StPete: 6:29pm On Sep 10, 2021
It's simple and you can try it out. For me, eating the meat first would make the rest of the food uninteresting. The meat is like a trophy at the end of the meal.

Also but more importantly, eating the meat will give you this false filled up stomach that makes u want to stop eating thinking you're already full

12 Likes

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by gonkin(m): 6:29pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:
Ever since I was a kid, I've always been used to eating the meat last, that is, after eating the rice, or swallow or whatever is served.

I noticed that my father, mother, brothers all follow this rule.

I have also noticed it in public events. When rice is served, people usually eat the rice first and the meat last. The same goes for swallow or anything that is served with meat.

My question is, why is that so?

Why is it that most Nigerians follow this unwritten rule?

Unless na 3 or more meat, i always save the meat for last. Also water comes last
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Harbeeorlar(m): 6:30pm On Sep 10, 2021
1. In case someone walks in, they may think you are eating without meat
2. When you eat the meat when you still have more food left, there are high possibility you won't finish the food

9 Likes

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Kimjongun: 6:31pm On Sep 10, 2021
illicit:
Sometimes I cook just meat and eat....

And what do you weigh?

2 Likes

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by tollyboy5(m): 6:31pm On Sep 10, 2021
Mercychen:
I don't do it. I eat the meat alongside the food and make sure theres a piece of meat left for the last scoop. There's no how. I must chow the last spoon with meat, no matter how small.

I can't wait til the end before eating the meat. That's how we eat in our house.
your meat is small then.
Tho seems the practice is common with southwest, the meat is usually big and the eldest child will be the one to share it.
So so after everyone is done eating the eldest share the meat accordingly and everyone goes to their corner to battle with their meat bone.
Its common sense culture
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by sofiscatedmoron: 6:31pm On Sep 10, 2021
If u eat meat first ,it shows u are thief
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by ogelekpomgam(m): 6:32pm On Sep 10, 2021
Mercychen:
I don't do it. I eat the meat alongside the food and make sure theres a piece of meat left for the last scoop. There's no how. I must chow the last spoon with meat, no matter how small.

I can't wait til the end before eating the meat. That's how we eat in our house.
"chow"..lols.are you a super lioness? smiley

2 Likes

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by mfm04622: 6:32pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:
Ever since I was a kid, I've always been used to eating the meat last, that is, after eating the rice, or swallow or whatever is served.

I have also noticed it in public events. When rice is served, people usually eat the rice first and the meat last. The same goes for swallow or anything that is served with meat.

In my house, when I was young, meat is a reward for finishing your food. That is how I formed the habit of eating my meat last

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by femlad97(m): 6:33pm On Sep 10, 2021
d same way dick go first hard before cumming grin na so food before meat dey cool
Na just 2 satisfy ur self
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by oyejideogunjumo: 6:33pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

The only reason told me is that if you eat your meat first and a visitor comes in, he may not ask you but will have a negative impression that you don't have meat on your food.
This has started long ago especially in the village where people can just berg in unannounced.
I deliberately ask

5 Likes

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Olamideayomide(m): 6:34pm On Sep 10, 2021
Eating meat last day sweet pass eating before food cos you go farabale enjoy the tearing, sucking and chewing the meat.�
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by sisisioge: 6:34pm On Sep 10, 2021
I dont follow the rule despite my mom training me to....I cut the fish/meat on my food into bits so I can eat from start to finish. In fact, I like to eat a piece of fish/meat first before trying the food itself. But, when I have kids, they would be train to not eat meat/fish first until they are old enough to learn commitment....if you've not really learnt it, once motivation(fish/meat) leaves, you may abandon the whole food grin.

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by CBTxFactor: 6:34pm On Sep 10, 2021
Its psychological, saving the best for last

7 Likes

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by PAWG(m): 6:35pm On Sep 10, 2021
Very simple reason, let me just read through the comments first
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Plut01: 6:35pm On Sep 10, 2021

Considering the fact that in the olden days, siblings used to eat together and the oldest among them usually share the meat and that mostly happen after they must have Finished eating the meal. It became tradition and passed from generation to the other.........I guess that's how we found ourselves doing it, even when not eating with anyone.

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hydronium(m): 6:35pm On Sep 10, 2021
Meat is my reward for finishing the food.

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by capnies: 6:35pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

AS A FATHER IT IS PART OF TRAINING BEING ABLE TO SAVE THE BEST FOR LAST IT CREATES DISCIPLINE AN
D ENDURANCE

5 Likes

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Realmi: 6:35pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

why did u eat ur meat last
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by survival1(m): 6:35pm On Sep 10, 2021
There's this natural sweet taste that comes with the meat when you eat it last. It makes you forget how delicious or awful the food tasted because it has absorbed most of the ingredients in the soup.

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by seunny4lif(m): 6:36pm On Sep 10, 2021
I eat meat after I don taya for the food when growing up but now

I can’t eat food without eating meat or fish first because that’s how I go know say the food sweet.
If na Rice then the meat must dey separate plate
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by spirul77: 6:36pm On Sep 10, 2021
omakay:
A very wrong form of training that has being passed on from generation to generation and no one bothers to question these tenets.

Parents train children to see meat as gold. Why the children no go dey steal meat from pot!!!!

Funny enough, it is the same meat that is being sold as suya outside for very cheap amounts.

This present generation needs to do away with some nonsense if not our children go judge us to our face.

N.B : Children are getting very smart now thanks to Western education and they can see through all our mistakes.
your first paragraph makes it looks like it is a wrong thing or an abomination, every society has a way of doing things uniquely to them, why not just take it as Nigerian way of eating? Funny enough this is also done in Europe too, the way and style people live, that's culture.
I don't see anything wrong with it none have I heard a nutritionist complain about the harmful effect, so why should we change it? If you go to America and you see people eating meat before food you should know it's because it's not Nigeria, so when you see people eating meat last you should know you are in Nigeria.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Abfinest007(m): 6:37pm On Sep 10, 2021
In my own case I eat meat first and my family love meat/ fish a lot
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by EricSmallz(m): 6:37pm On Sep 10, 2021
My mom dey beat me when I was a kid because of this matter. As my food arrive, I dey first follow my meat up, e go remain small before I start to dey eat food. My mom slap me say person first dey suffer before enjoyment, no be enjoyment before suffer grin
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Niftyrules(m): 6:37pm On Sep 10, 2021
habsydiamond:
When u eat the meat first, the dignity of the food has disappeared... Atimes this may even quench ur hunger... Speaking from experience on this one.. I no even understand Wetin I type sef.. Can someone help me

Bros this one you say shock me oh!
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Franzinni: 6:37pm On Sep 10, 2021
Fela nah koluture and tradition ... babanla nonsense!
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by seunny4lif(m): 6:38pm On Sep 10, 2021
grin
You no follow rules but you wan your children to follow am

No be wickedness be that cheesy
sisisioge:
I dont follow the rule despite my mom training me to....I cut the fish/meat on my food into bits so I can eat from start to finish. In fact, I like to eat a piece of fish/meat first before trying the food itself. But, when I have kids, they would be train to not eat meat/fish first until they are old enough to learn commitment....if you've not really learnt it, once motivation(fish/meat) leaves, you may abandon the whole food grin.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Akell(m): 6:38pm On Sep 10, 2021
illicit:

Beef mostly

I can eat as much as ten pieces

You're gradually killing yourself.

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Angelfrost(m): 6:38pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

Meat no plenty... Besides, beef cost pass the rest of the food!

It's not a case of culture or rule, na matter of preserving scarce resources. Hence saving the best for last.

Once ate in a wealthy uncle's house... Inside soup, obstacles full everywhere (Lost count pieces of meat and fish). That kind food, it would be stupid and meaningless to leave all that meat till food finish as you may not have appetite left to finish them.

So, that's the point or difference!

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Flier: 6:38pm On Sep 10, 2021
affable4:
Eating the meat first psychologically makes the food uninteresting.
You are very correct! Even my children dare not eat the meat first because I know they won’t eat the food and if they don’t eat it,ready to make another food in the next 30 min
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by AutoChick4U(f): 6:38pm On Sep 10, 2021
It pains me to watch Food Network and see oyibos playing and eating big meat and fish like no tomorrow. We no get food for here walai even if e dey, its expensive

2 Likes

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by chegbe1104: 6:39pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

It's because the real purpose for eating is hunger. Therefore if that is the case, you want to fill your stomach first with food before you think of meat which is just a sweetner.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Does Eating Coconut Negate The Performance Of A Drug In One's Body? / Enugu Amala Hangout Causes Controversy On Twitter / Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.