Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,838 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? - Food (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? (39060 Views)

Finally, I Killed This Bush meat Last Night. / Why Eating The Meat Last? / Eating Meat Last Or First In Meals, How Do I Train My Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by illicit(m): 6:22am On Sep 11, 2021
Tomahawk99:

You are digging your grave...early.
Red meat in large amounts is bad, eat fish instead.

No matter what we eat, we all die bro
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Lilpen3758: 6:48am On Sep 11, 2021
illicit:

U are a black guy with black balls

shocked

tinted bro grin grin
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Tomahawk99(m): 7:00am On Sep 11, 2021
illicit:

No matter what we eat, we all die bro

Don't let ignorance kill you. Between red meat and fish or vegetables what has the potential to cause damage to your body the most.
If you know the dangers of excessive red meat to the body you won't say that bro.

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by illicit(m): 7:08am On Sep 11, 2021
Tomahawk99:

Don't let ignorance kill you. Between red meat and fish or vegetables what has the potential to cause damage to your body the most.
If you know the dangers of excessive red meat to the body you won't say that bro.

I feel you but it don't bother me

I have seen people who never drank beer nor eat sugar come down with diabetes

I have seen smokers that lived very long

I know non smoker that died young

What's gonna be gonna be
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Tomahawk99(m): 7:39am On Sep 11, 2021
illicit:

I feel you but it don't bother me

I have seen people who never drank beer nor eat sugar come down with diabetes

I have seen smokers that lived very long

I know non smoker that died young

What's gonna be gonna be

Ok
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by elfico(m): 7:44am On Sep 11, 2021
I think it's the Nigerian version of Marshmallow Test for delayed gratification. Nigerian parents want to see if you can wait until the end of a meal to eat the 'special' part of the meal.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by suffering: 8:05am On Sep 11, 2021
Orientation from parents which get passed down over generations. Just like the short haircut parents and teachers force on children not realizing that the act stems from colonial masters forcing us to get rid of our hair and individuality.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Lordfesto(m): 8:35am On Sep 11, 2021
habsydiamond:
When u eat the meat first, the dignity of the food has disappeared... Atimes this may even quench ur hunger... Speaking from experience on this one.. I no even understand Wetin I type sef.. Can someone help me
LMAO grin
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Lordfesto(m): 8:37am On Sep 11, 2021
Modecaih:
The meat gives me inspiration to eat more and also the food is the prayer while the meat is amen.
No be juju be this. grin
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Akell(m): 8:53am On Sep 11, 2021
illicit:

We all die

That's a good one.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by seggexco(m): 8:58am On Sep 11, 2021
Meat first any day any time
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by v2: 8:59am On Sep 11, 2021
The truth is that, after you get tired of eating, there will always be room for the meat but after eating the meat, you easily get tired of the food.

That's the reason children are made to eat their food first before the meat. Even if they stop eating and the parent think they have not eaten enough and ask them to eat more so they can eat the meat, they will.

The meat na inspiration and bargaining chip.

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by tunnex190: 9:32am On Sep 11, 2021
My 4 years old kid will finish her meat even before she touches her meal. Or sometimes she takes both together since the meat is all sliced. But definitely, she will finish the meat first
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by assent: 10:27am On Sep 11, 2021
omakay:

Mr. Smart-Pants, how you doing!!!!!

When you are done insulting me, you will join in the DISCUSSION.

You are the one claiming smartness. You are the one running faster than your shadows, claiming to be wise, whereas you are displaying mental emptiness.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by aysuprano(m): 10:37am On Sep 11, 2021
Naturally when you are about to eat energy giving food is what u pick up first to quench ur hunger and it’s such carbohydrates are the major energy food therefor me you go for them first, it happens all over the world not just Nigeria alone although Nigeria’s own is more of being broke
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by omakay(m): 12:49pm On Sep 11, 2021
assent:

You are the one claiming smartness. You are the one running faster than your shadows, claiming to be wise, whereas you are displaying mental emptiness.

Am still waiting for you to join in the discussion.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Daniellano: 1:46pm On Sep 11, 2021
So this is something I've actually thought of and even discussed with a friend. Now. this practice has both a negative and positive effect, I will start with the negative effect. This practice makes people( especially children) put too much importance and value on meat( I believe this moulded us into thiefs that specialized in stealing meat from pot) no wonder most of our parents fried and hid Christmas and Salah meat in a cooler and place it in their rooms cheesy but we still dey move or slim-fit the meat sha(nowhere is safe)grin grin, I also believe it led to even stealing of Milk, Milo, Bournvita etc..
Positive effect.
It really helped a lot of us to delay gratification until the job is done like, "if I no finish this rice I no go touch this meat"��..
This has in a way help us work for our reward while putting pleasure aside until the reward is achieved.....
I believe this practice Is common in middle and lower class family
Most well to do families trained the children to see all this things as normal and not prioritize it, that's why you will see rich families with bread, apple, cornflakes, groundnut, milk, sugar, Milo etc.. on their dinning table and nobody will even be interested in it. If nah my house, we go don move am inside nylon or pocket go outside go enjoy yasef angry angry...
Do you think this practice is actually a positive or negative practice ?
Like for positive share for negative

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by chrisj2(m): 2:20pm On Sep 11, 2021
It encourages too much emphasise on the meat content of the food... It also encourages some to eat too much meat and not really appreciate all foods... It is also part of poverty mentality! Big men and rich people might display a large number and varieties of meats with their meals but some of them are steal with that poverty mentality - like I am now rich, so i can eat whatever and however much I want...

We do not need that much meat to have a balanced nutritious meal... I do not subscribe to oversized pieces of meat - that is very wasteful or look greedy and common. I tend to dice my meat and eat them along with the food - even if you give me a big piece of meat; I use my knife to cut little bits off and eat along. I do not like shoving big pieces of meat in my face and eating like a carnivore with sauce or grease all over the face and hand. I also tend to return meats if any left after the meal - i can always have it later as snack or in another meal.

We should eat less meat for our health, cut the cost of food and to conserve the environment and for those in the south to depend less on the North (and Imports).

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Ameduedwin: 3:18pm On Sep 11, 2021
just for the taste of it, that will keep ur mouth so tasty for sometime.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Larrykkk: 8:07pm On Sep 11, 2021
Olusharp:
which area?? Not the one you people will start charging 150k for a room self contain
That's the amount for major areas now, e.g Elebu, oluyole, bashorun, akobo, Ring road
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 3:08pm On Sep 12, 2021
folarin24:

eating meat first means you were not hungry before you ordered for the food you only needed the meat so you will be tagged "ole"

LOL... But what's so special about meat tho... can't we just eat our food without meat ?

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 3:09pm On Sep 12, 2021
Truvelisback:
Na poverty be the cause. If u av like 5 to 7 or even more pieces of meat in ur place of rice or soup, u won't eat the pieces of meat last.

hmm.. that's another angle to view things from
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 8:00pm On Sep 12, 2021
lebete3000:

Because most of us grew up in poverty where even seeing meat ontop rice is a big privilege, and you come go chop am first.

Thank God those days are gone. I put atleast 5 big pieces of goat meat on my meal after cooking, as a single guy wey I be.

If I don't eat it first, who will?

nicee
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 8:01pm On Sep 12, 2021
rickyboss333:

Most ppl do not just like meat, they have grown to see it as a part of food that decides the richness or quality of the dish. They see it as d icing on d cake. Isn't that why it is sold as a different entity altogether in restaurants? Even in our homes, it has become a tradition so much that some men will even take it as an insult if served with out meat, not just because d food becomes imbalance in terms of nutrition, but because of our mentality that has come with it. I can't say when and where it all originated from, but I can relate with d feeling.

hmm.. i understand what you're saying
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 8:02pm On Sep 12, 2021
illicit:

Beef mostly

I can eat as much as ten pieces

I make it spicy

ah! ten pieces? that's much o
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by illicit(m): 8:04pm On Sep 12, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

ah! ten pieces? that's much o

tongue
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 8:05pm On Sep 12, 2021
Jaqenhghar:

Its to teach you the benefits of delayed gratification. If you understood what thatwass trying to teach you won't be asking this.
In fact not seeing the importance of such can be linked to the current state of the country. When you dont understand the concept of delayed gratificstion it becomes difficult to strategize or plan ling term.

please elaborate
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 8:06pm On Sep 12, 2021
mu2sa2:
Is the meat not also "food"?.

yeah... but i don't look at it the same way i do the rest of the food
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 8:08pm On Sep 12, 2021
bluefilm:

Guy, you no get handwork, aswear. lipsrsealed

What nonsense angry

lol.. welcome to nairaland bro!!
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 8:08pm On Sep 12, 2021
Damscodammy1:

oh sorry.i knw 1 egbon ni.was usin same nick with u.he ws religious.goin thru ur post e dy similar.
nor vex

no p
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Larrylarex(m): 8:18pm On Sep 12, 2021
As a matter of fact when growing up my parents made sure we eat our meat alongside the meal. And it's not like we're rich at all. At times we eat meatless meal and dem no born you well make you no finish the food. My Dad especially believed that it was a poverty mentality, his own is that, eat it when you have it and don't pity yourself when you don't and that's the way I do till today. Eat meat alongside the meal.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Jaqenhghar: 6:20am On Sep 13, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

please elaborate

Even after all that I put up? undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Does Eating Coconut Negate The Performance Of A Drug In One's Body? / Enugu Amala Hangout Causes Controversy On Twitter / Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.