Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,089 members, 7,814,782 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? (39054 Views)

Finally, I Killed This Bush meat Last Night. / Why Eating The Meat Last? / Eating Meat Last Or First In Meals, How Do I Train My Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Sep 10, 2021
Olusharp:
which area?? Not the one you people will start charging 150k for a room self contain

How much do you want to pay for a self-con in IB? Well, maybe he has a cheaper one for you. The standard ones I know, which are located in the urban part, can't be less.

Note: I'm not the person you quoted o. Don't take my response for his.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by NADFOR: 6:54pm On Sep 10, 2021
Of course if you're hungry the food should be your priority and not the meet, if you're not really hungry you could pick the meet and abandon the food
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Kokoebapluse(m): 6:54pm On Sep 10, 2021
Because meat is not food is just supportive in a food.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by jamace(m): 6:54pm On Sep 10, 2021
habsydiamond:
When u eat the meat first, the dignity of the food has disappeared... Atimes this may even quench ur hunger... Speaking from experience on this one.. I no even understand Wetin I type sef.. Can someone help me
Gbam @highlighted.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Aarenasbaba(m): 6:55pm On Sep 10, 2021
That formulae isn't working for me
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by ElGood: 6:58pm On Sep 10, 2021
Eating meat last mostly happen when you are eating from the same plate with others and this is to avoid issues.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by seyz91(m): 6:58pm On Sep 10, 2021
Quantity very plenty and Animal is Gorilla grin
Hismasterpiece:

What quantity? And what animal?
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by AnthonyAk(m): 6:59pm On Sep 10, 2021
My last stop before I leave nigeria is always afi's efik cuisine in surulere.

There u have to off load passengers before you can dig into the soup well.

Haven't been able to make it these past 2 years cause the traffic from island to airport is too much. Those days wey men dey stay opebi before we head out nah one chance
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Goldiness: 7:00pm On Sep 10, 2021
Meat is the reward for eating your food till the end, it's a culture thing in Nigeria. Me if I have more than one meat, I eat them as I eat the food, but most times, I eat meat last.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by rickyboss333: 7:01pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:
Ever since I was a kid, I've always been used to eating the meat last, that is, after eating the rice, or swallow or whatever is served.

I noticed that my father, mother, brothers all follow this rule.

I have also noticed it in public events. When rice is served, people usually eat the rice first and the meat last. The same goes for swallow or anything that is served with meat.

My question is, why is that so?

Why is it that most Nigerians follow this unwritten rule?

It's actually a rule...save the best for last
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Emmyxclusive: 7:01pm On Sep 10, 2021
Sometimes it's a motivation for you to finish ur food. Most at times I get discouraged after eating the meat.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by bolacode: 7:02pm On Sep 10, 2021
Those who eat red meat in Niejirriya cannot think straight.

They will operate under the jinx of the Fulani
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Sep 10, 2021
Its simple...

The rule simply comes from the action films we watched and was introduced to, in those films boss always die last while other waka pass actors die first...

So, in this context the food is the waka pass actor, while the meat is the boss they usually die last... shocked

Are you cleared now?
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by IamAjiroba6: 7:03pm On Sep 10, 2021
This is a plan to ensure that the child eat much of the food. More often, when children eat the fish or meat before the food, they eat less.

It's more like a motivation to eat more of the food.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by LegendaryArnold(m): 7:03pm On Sep 10, 2021
Angelfrost:

What do you mean by "Slave Mentality"??! Abi you just wan talk because others are talking??!

That you can afford such 'affluence' doesn't mean every other person in this country is equally fortunate. Na condition make meat and fish turn to V.I.P inside plate of food for Naija.

The matter simple oga. No need to boast or exaggerate! tongue

naaah no be about that... i dey chop without protein too and e no cost to get plenty meat for food... how much be ponmo again
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by olaolaking: 7:03pm On Sep 10, 2021
illicit:

Beef mostly

I can eat as much as ten pieces
You will think you are enjoying
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Aurelius1(m): 7:05pm On Sep 10, 2021
It's the natural law of saving the best for the last, nothing more.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Athemisia: 7:06pm On Sep 10, 2021
omakay:
A very wrong form of training that has being passed on from generation to generation and no one bothers to question these tenets.

Parents train children to see meat as gold. Why the children no go dey steal meat from pot!!!!

Funny enough, it is the same meat that is being sold as suya outside for very cheap amounts.

This present generation needs to do away with some nonsense if not our children go judge us to our face.

N.B : Children are getting very smart now thanks to Western education and they can see through all our mistakes.
The root cause of this, is poverty.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Dagger111(m): 7:06pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:
Ever since I was a kid, I've always been used to eating the meat last, that is, after eating the rice, or swallow or whatever is served.

I noticed that my father, mother, brothers all follow this rule.

I have also noticed it in public events. When rice is served, people usually eat the rice first and the meat last. The same goes for swallow or anything that is served with meat.

My question is, why is that so?

Why is it that most Nigerians follow this unwritten rule?

As u dey see the meat, you get more appetite to keep eating.

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Athemisia: 7:07pm On Sep 10, 2021
Amojii:
Its simple...

The rule simply comes from the action films we watched and was introduced to, in the film boss always die last while other waka pass actors die first...

So, in this context the foods are the waka pass actors while the meat is the boss they usually die last... shocked

Are you cleared now?

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by sisisioge: 7:08pm On Sep 10, 2021
seunny4lif:
grin
You no follow rules but you wan your children to follow am

No be wickedness be that cheesy

Na training....na so them train me too. Once they are old enough to understand why, them fit eat their food anyhow they like grin.

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by TGMISKY(m): 7:08pm On Sep 10, 2021
I have tried to change but it's been impossible. If you like, put 10 chunks of meat in a small plate of soup, I will finish the eba first, lick the soup before I face the meat
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Athemisia: 7:08pm On Sep 10, 2021
Dagger111:

That was then, now I eat the first before the food or without the food if I don't want much.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by benji93: 7:08pm On Sep 10, 2021
It's basically one of those exercises in which you have poverty'inadequacy engulfed by culture. grin. But I appreciate it and we can learn something from it. You better savor the best for the last.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by TeamLeader(m): 7:09pm On Sep 10, 2021
It is in the constistution now. Check
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Mikael0407(m): 7:09pm On Sep 10, 2021
Because the meat is scarce. The scarcest commodity is the costliest and hence the most valuable. Therefore we eat the meat last because it is the one we place most value on wink
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by jaafree: 7:10pm On Sep 10, 2021
It all depends if whether I dey expect visitor o cheesy if visitor dey show face na meat I dey finish first o grin grin
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Peterperosco: 7:16pm On Sep 10, 2021
I think it's because the meat is more tasty/delicious than the food.
So we save the best taste for the last part.

Sometimes I eat some part of the meat b4 or while eating d food ,but will definitely remain some to be eaten after d food.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Damscodammy1(m): 7:16pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

Hmmmm...

The way I do it sometimes is.. If the meat is plenty, like 5 or 6 I eat some of it with the food.

But I must save the last meat for when I have finished the food. grin
bro segs?
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 7:17pm On Sep 10, 2021
Dagger111:

Lol.. ok.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by KillerBeauty(f): 7:17pm On Sep 10, 2021
I use to think its a Nigerian thing until I saw an American tiktoker made a video about it. The meat is the best part of the meal and savoring it after eating every crumb of rice make the meal worth it.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Hismasterpiece(m): 7:18pm On Sep 10, 2021
rickyboss333:

It's actually a rule...save the best for last

Yeah but what is the origin tho?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Does Eating Coconut Negate The Performance Of A Drug In One's Body? / Enugu Amala Hangout Causes Controversy On Twitter / Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.