Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,091 members, 7,814,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? - Food (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? (39057 Views)

Finally, I Killed This Bush meat Last Night. / Why Eating The Meat Last? / Eating Meat Last Or First In Meals, How Do I Train My Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by illicit(m): 9:42pm On Sep 10, 2021
Lilpen3758:
grin grin

Are u a black man or black woman
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Lilpen3758: 9:44pm On Sep 10, 2021
illicit:

Are u a black man or black woman
Jesus Christ am a guy asshole
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by FILEBE(m): 9:52pm On Sep 10, 2021
omakay:

You have programmed these children to see the meat as gold. They will in turn treat it as gold.

Try using minced meat to prepare your stews and sauce for like 4months and see how their enthusiasm for meat will float away.

How do I subtly let me child eat well? By telling her to eat the meat last after she is full. Using minced meat is normal stew. I didn't see it as Gold when growing up., I just saw it as a reward for eating well. I always feel relived afterwards .

I am telling you for a fact how these children will eat me off Eba and leave a mountain heap eba untouched . It is happening as we speak
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by omakay(m): 9:57pm On Sep 10, 2021
FILEBE:

How do I subtly let me child eat well? By telling her to eat the meat last after she is full. Using minced meat is normal stew. I didn't see it as Gold when growing up., I just saw it as a reward for eating well. I always feel relived afterwards .

I am telling you for a fact how these children will eat me off Eba and leave a mountain heap eba untouched . It is happening as we speak

Well-done, my brother.....

Not easy training these our kids at this their age.

Just dey patient with them....
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Truvelisback(m): 10:01pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:
Ever since I was a kid, I've always been used to eating the meat last, that is, after eating the rice, or swallow or whatever is served.

I noticed that my father, mother, brothers all follow this rule.

I have also noticed it in public events. When rice is served, people usually eat the rice first and the meat last. The same goes for swallow or anything that is served with meat.

My question is, why is that so?

Why is it that most Nigerians follow this unwritten rule?
Na poverty be the cause. If u av like 5 to 7 or even more pieces of meat in ur place of rice or soup, u won't eat the pieces of meat last.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by MeghaneMorgane(f): 10:07pm On Sep 10, 2021
illicit:
Sometimes I cook just meat and eat....

Same here

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by MeghaneMorgane(f): 10:09pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:
Ever since I was a kid, I've always been used to eating the meat last, that is, after eating the rice, or swallow or whatever is served.

I have also noticed it in public events. When rice is served, people usually eat the rice first and the meat last. The same goes for swallow or anything that is served with meat.

For me, if I eat the meat, I loose appetite to eat the rest of the food. Or I’ll go and put another meat on top of the food just so that I can finish the food.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by MeghaneMorgane(f): 10:10pm On Sep 10, 2021
omakay:

You have programmed these children to see the meat as gold. They will in turn treat it as gold.

Try using minced meat to prepare your stews and sauce for like 4months and see how their enthusiasm for meat will float away.

You’re right
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Vegasss: 10:12pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

That used to be our parents’ way of passing a message of reward of labor to us back then. The food which is eaten first depicts the ‘hard work’ that goes in before the ‘enjoyment’ which is the meat lol
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Olam09(m): 10:21pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

I'm damn used to it men...
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Sep 10, 2021
omakay:

It's funny that you complain of 'wokeness' yet you send your children to the best 'woke' schools around.

There is nothing western about eating a meal appropriately without seeing a part of the food more 'golden' than the others.

Explain ‘appropriate’
Take a cue from the Japanese or the Chinese or even the Indians sir. These people are challenging the west in terms of technology etc, but they’ve maintained their culture and lifestyle.

Fufu, amala, ewedu, tuwo, vegetable soup etc are Nigerian dishes; all eaten the Nigerian way.

To eat food, you only have to pick the food from the plate to your mouth. There’s no “correct” way of eating any food sir.

Our culture dictates that you eat your meal first before eating the fish or meat. It is not wrong oo!!!

Abi you eat Amala with fork?
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Sep 10, 2021
It is in the 1992 Nigerian Constitution, section 48 sub-section 156.
Failure to abide may lead to 2 or 6 weeks imprisonment + water beans, depending on the age of the offendant.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Sep 10, 2021
Vegasss:

That used to be our parents’ way of passing a message of reward of labor to us back then. The food which is eaten first depicts the ‘hard work’ that goes in before the ‘enjoyment’ which is the meat lol

Eating food as hardwork, omo grin
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by charleoj(m): 10:46pm On Sep 10, 2021
That's how I was raised too and I still do it. Reason? I think it's discipline is some way back then
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by folarin24(m): 11:00pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

eating meat first means you were not hungry before you ordered for the food you only needed the meat so you will be tagged "ole"
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Realboygenius(m): 11:27pm On Sep 10, 2021
Monitor and pay for your power with the improved Ikeja Electric App. You also enjoy quick complaint resolution for 24/7.

See my signature for steps to download.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by assent: 11:37pm On Sep 10, 2021
omakay:
A very wrong form of training that has being passed on from generation to generation and no one bothers to question these tenets.

Parents train children to see meat as gold. Why the children no go dey steal meat from pot!!!!

Funny enough, it is the same meat that is being sold as suya outside for very cheap amounts.

This present generation needs to do away with some nonsense if not our children go judge us to our face.

N.B : Children are getting very smart now thanks to Western education and they can see through all our mistakes.

So, you refer to the nonsense you post above as smartness?

It is not smartness; it is dumb headedness
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Niswayne19: 11:51pm On Sep 10, 2021
I still don’t know why though. Just the same way we shout up Nepa when they bring light. Don’t forget you can pay your bills bi the ikeja electric mobile app to avoid disconnection. https://www.ikejaelectric.com/mobile-app/?utm_source=Nairaland&utm_medium=Banner&utm_campaign=Power_In_Your_Hands

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by RodgersAkpafu: 12:15am On Sep 11, 2021
Gwan2:
Bro, let me tell you something

A friend of mine told me when he came abroad, while most immigrants goal was/is to scout for jobs to make money..first thing he did was to register himself with a psychotherapist for a year to unlearn and relearn a lot of thing he inherited in naija before integrating himself into the country’s lifestyle.

Bro, we inherited a lot of vices that are inherent in us and needs to be cleared off our minds. The typical African or naija person is greedy, envious, malicious, wicked, corrupt, dishonest etc. Feel the air surrounding the country, it depicts the people’s personalities. I deviated from the topic because it is a subset of this.
Interesting
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Gfskw: 1:01am On Sep 11, 2021
Oh
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by grafixdon: 1:16am On Sep 11, 2021
Once I finish my meat, forget it, I'll never eat that food again.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Tomahawk99(m): 1:45am On Sep 11, 2021
illicit:

Beef mostly

I can eat as much as ten pieces

I make it spicy
You are digging your grave...early.
Red meat in large amounts is bad, eat fish instead.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Gesman: 1:48am On Sep 11, 2021
Tiv men has different approach to this
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Gfskw: 1:52am On Sep 11, 2021
What
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by seyi4mesamuel(m): 2:01am On Sep 11, 2021
In my opinion, "Meat eating after food" suggests a way of illustrating life that struggling or hard work should preceed or should come before pleasure and not the reverse. In this context, the preared food means "struggling or hard work" while the served meat or fish represents "pleasure"
In another manner, when one first eat the served meat or fish, whosever that sees the person eating with nothing on the food might conclude that poverty has struck in the life of that person. Ideally and culturally, "eating meat after food" is more preferable.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Olodo24: 2:36am On Sep 11, 2021
Someone said I don't have home training just because I ate the meat first. Him level of stupidity shock me sha
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Probz(m): 2:47am On Sep 11, 2021
I think it’s just a practice that serves as an incentive to finish the main meal. I’m sure other cultures do that as well.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Caseless: 3:18am On Sep 11, 2021
I personally don't like to switch taste while eating; if I take meat before the main meal, I might end up not eating the food again. So I leave the meat for the last. I focus on one, get done with it and move to the next one.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by DMerciful(m): 3:31am On Sep 11, 2021
Meat will always go in even if you're full so save it for last when you're full.

Now that I'm an adult with several meats, I eat meat during the meal but a final one at the end.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by omakay(m): 4:12am On Sep 11, 2021
Gadahfi:

Explain ‘appropriate’
Take a cue from the Japanese or the Chinese or even the Indians sir. These people are challenging the west in terms of technology etc, but they’ve maintained their culture and lifestyle.

Fufu, amala, ewedu, tuwo, vegetable soup etc are Nigerian dishes; all eaten the Nigerian way.

To eat food, you only have to pick the food from the plate to your mouth. There’s no “correct” way of eating any food sir.

Our culture dictates that you eat your meal first before eating the fish or meat. It is not wrong oo!!!

Abi you eat Amala with fork?

You do not eat Amala with fork.

You do not also have to finish the Amala first before touching the meat. You can take bites in-between.

Please, detrone the meat in the meal. It's not a king. It's just A PART of the meal.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by omakay(m): 4:16am On Sep 11, 2021
assent:

So, you refer to the nonsense you post above as smartness?

It is not smartness; it is dumb headedness

Mr. Smart-Pants, how you doing!!!!!

When you are done insulting me, you will join in the DISCUSSION.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by illicit(m): 6:21am On Sep 11, 2021
Lilpen3758:
Jesus Christ am a guy asshole

U are a black guy with black balls

shocked

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Does Eating Coconut Negate The Performance Of A Drug In One's Body? / Enugu Amala Hangout Causes Controversy On Twitter / Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.