Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,127 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? (39129 Views)

Finally, I Killed This Bush meat Last Night. / Why Eating The Meat Last? / Eating Meat Last Or First In Meals, How Do I Train My Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Greystone: 7:41pm On Sep 10, 2021
Mercychen:
I don't do it. I eat the meat alongside the food and make sure theres a piece of meat left for the last scoop. There's no how. I must chow the last spoon with meat, no matter how small.

I can't wait til the end before eating the meat. That's how we eat in our house.

This is exactly what i do also.

Break up the meat and eat it piece by piece with the food till the end.

I don't like eating meat separately.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Happyatika(m): 7:42pm On Sep 10, 2021
Used to be on this table but a friend of mine made me change ,he go day eat meat while I day luk, dem nor tell me before I stop dat mentality, now I day blast the meat and food all together and he day goes well ah swear �
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by tgmservice: 7:42pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:
Ever since I was a kid, I've always been used to eating the meat last, that is, after eating the rice, or swallow or whatever is served.

I noticed that my father, mother, brothers all follow this rule.

I have also noticed it in public events. When rice is served, people usually eat the rice first and the meat last. The same goes for swallow or anything that is served with meat.

My question is, why is that so?

Why is it that most Nigerians follow this unwritten rule?

Save the best for last
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by McOluOmo: 7:42pm On Sep 10, 2021
Modecaih:
The meat gives me inspiration to eat more and also the food is the prayer while the meat is amen.
grin

Guys wey no get girlfriend get peace of mind

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Powersurge: 7:44pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:
Ever since I was a kid, I've always been used to eating the meat last, that is, after eating the rice, or swallow or whatever is served.

I have also noticed it in public events. When rice is served, people usually eat the rice first and the meat last. The same goes for swallow or anything that is served with meat.

There is a joy in eating meat last. That is the better wisdom. Meat has distinctive taste and aroma. There some traditions that the best advancement in Technology and science cannot change. This stands on top of that list
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Jollos(m): 7:45pm On Sep 10, 2021
For me parent use it to teach their children self control, and some children stop eating after finishing the meat or fish. Some may even demand for more.
To cub this just mandating them to eat it after meal solve all this problem.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by benzzyno(m): 7:49pm On Sep 10, 2021
It's simple now.. Meat na the multivation to keep eating.. If person eat am first.. Person fit loose interest for d remaining food especially if the meat na only one grin
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Boniee(m): 7:50pm On Sep 10, 2021
Because its a trophy you earn for finishing ur food grin
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Pedyson: 7:51pm On Sep 10, 2021
habsydiamond:
When u eat the meat first, the dignity of the food has disappeared... Atimes this may even quench ur hunger... Speaking from experience on this one.. I no even understand Wetin I type sef.. Can someone help me

Nor worry, I got ur message
Na man u be... grin
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by mu2sa2: 7:51pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

Hmmmm...

The way I do it sometimes is.. If the meat is plenty, like 5 or 6 I eat some of it with the food.

But I must save the last meat for when I have finished the food. grin
Is the meat not also "food"?.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Limassol(m): 7:52pm On Sep 10, 2021
Mitsurugi:
They are those that can only have one piece of meat on their plates. Those with 6 or more including assorted spread don't grin
you are right. I'm with you on this.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Kobicove(m): 7:55pm On Sep 10, 2021
habsydiamond:
When u eat the meat first, the dignity of the food has disappeared... Atimes this may even quench ur hunger... Speaking from experience on this one.. I no even understand Wetin I type sef.. Can someone help me

I concur
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Sep 10, 2021
tollyboy5:

your meat is small then.
Tho seems the practice is common with southwest, the meat is usually big and the eldest child will be the one to share it.
So so after everyone is done eating the eldest share the meat accordingly and everyone goes to their corner to battle with their meat bone.
Its common sense culture

Meat is small how? undecided
If it's small, how come it takes me through the whole meal.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Lamanii22(f): 7:57pm On Sep 10, 2021
Modecaih:
The meat gives me inspiration to eat more and also the food is the prayer while the meat is amen.

Maddo
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Limassol(m): 7:59pm On Sep 10, 2021
Angelfrost:

Nope.... Not crazy, just largely deprived of animal protein (Only few families can afford large portions of beef, fish, chicken, turkey, etc).

Standard of living among most Nigerians is laughable and pathetic.
No be who don chop dey belleful dey think of meat/fish? Even the basic of staple food is becoming elusive to most Nigerians. I weep for my people.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Sep 10, 2021
Greystone:

This is exactly what i do also.

Break up the meat and eat it piece by piece with the food till the end.

I don't like eating meat separately.

Ah.. ok. No be only me Waka come. Hehe cheesy

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Funkybabee(f): 8:03pm On Sep 10, 2021
I eat them together though I will leave small meat to end the meal
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Dicksonnet: 8:10pm On Sep 10, 2021
illicit:
Sometimes I cook just meat and eat....
How will you not?
See your name now
Illicit cooking
Illicit eating
Illicit EVERYTHING!!!
I BEG OOO NA PLAY
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by OcMichaels(m): 8:12pm On Sep 10, 2021
I also noticed it though I don't give it much attention.
I could remember one time I ate my meat staring right at mom, a way of exerting rebellion and she didn't object.
I celebrated that independence and it became a habit.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Realmi: 8:17pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

It's just something i'm used to...
so everyone met it and got used to it
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by gazza07(m): 8:17pm On Sep 10, 2021
Desist from red meat consumption
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Paulo3ree(m): 8:19pm On Sep 10, 2021
It's test of patience and tenacity
Higher percentage of persons in there early stage in life always have issues with eating food, so it's a technique to getting them to finish their meal(say putting a carrot B4 a donkey)
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by SeunNotOwner: 8:22pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

Eating your meat at the end of the meal gives you more time to relax after the dining before jumping into another activity
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by frozen70(f): 8:24pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

The reason is that the meat beautifies the food
Is like an icing in the cake
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Jaqenhghar: 8:24pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

Its to teach you the benefits of delayed gratification. If you understood what thatwass trying to teach you won't be asking this.
In fact not seeing the importance of such can be linked to the current state of the country. When you dont understand the concept of delayed gratificstion it becomes difficult to strategize or plan ling term.

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Darkmode64: 8:26pm On Sep 10, 2021
Gwan2:
Bro, let me tell you something

A friend of mine told me when he came abroad, while most immigrants goal was/is to scout for jobs to make money..first thing he did was to register himself with a psychotherapist for a year to unlearn and relearn a lot of thing he inherited in naija before integrating himself into the country’s lifestyle.

Bro, we inherited a lot of vices that are inherent in us and needs to be cleared off our minds. The typical African or naija person is greedy, envious, malicious, wicked, corrupt, dishonest etc. Feel the air surrounding the country, it depicts the people’s personalities. I deviated from the topic because it is a subset of this.
I Stan bro. I stan
Well-captured
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Lamasta(m): 8:27pm On Sep 10, 2021
I eat meat simultaneously with my food but I dey make sure say na meat enter my mouth last after the food so that I will have good memory of the meal I ate grin
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Sep 10, 2021
It's because meat or fish is most times sweeter than the food.so we eat those two last bcoz they leave a sweet taste after the meal... and as humans, we like a happy ending in every endeavors...
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by Teenaira: 8:31pm On Sep 10, 2021
illicit:
Sometimes I cook just meat and eat....

Ole ni e. I will tell my mum !!!
Do you also eat suya or Kilishi. All na meet o.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by SunTzu123(m): 8:31pm On Sep 10, 2021
Hismasterpiece:

Our meat will normally come with bones, fat, et. You need ALL fingers to eat meat in order to enjoy it. So you finish the main food first, then you attack the meat! QED.
Re: Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? by SeunNotOwner: 8:31pm On Sep 10, 2021
Mercychen:
I don't do it. I eat the meat alongside the food and make sure theres a small piece of meat left for the last scoop. There's no how. I must chew the last spoon with meat, no matter how small.

I can't wait to the end before eating the meat. That's how we eat in our house.

Then never put cow leg (bokoto) inside food for you, you go chop am last, the lick the bone

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Urhobo Owofibo (oil Soup) Aka Owo Soup / Enugu Amala Hangout Causes Controversy On Twitter / See The Snake That Swallows Neighbour's Eggs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.