Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,550 members, 7,816,338 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:46 AM

Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love (21202 Views)

Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance / POF: My Marriage Is About To Be Ruined Becaus Of A Secret I Kept From My Husband / My Marriage Is At The Brink Of Collapse Help Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 8:55pm On Oct 25, 2021
DeRichard:
His words only offend people who are not willing to accept him as Lord and saviour.

I don't see how I'm making the scriptures here. My basic point is if someone wants a good marriage it should be deeply rooted in Christ and that's a biblical fact.
Your point runs counter to that which Jesus Christ Himself declared in Luke 20 vs 34 - 36 undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by DeRichard(m): 8:56pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Your point runs counter to that which Jesus Christ Himself declared in Luke 20 vs 34 - 36 undecided

What exactly are you claiming is counter to what Jesus said?
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Nobody: 8:56pm On Oct 25, 2021
RightToReject:
Nothing else can best exemplify hypocritical disingenuousness than the act of anyone giving out vibe of being a proponent and practitioner of unconditional love - or selflessness or altruism - but believes and practices classism or hypergamy; that thread where the SSCE holder guy said that a family prevented him from marrying its graduate daughter because he doesn't have a degree certificate is still there for one to see the position of most different individuals in this thread and their classism positions.

No proponent of classism or hypergamy has love - only self-absorption glossed as love/fake love - to give their spouses, neighbors, etc., since altruism is the soul of love, and using altruism in the same sentence with classism or hypergamy is not only considered an oxymoron but also an abomination.

Thank you.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by BRATISLAVA: 8:56pm On Oct 25, 2021
Hathor5:

Are you sure you can love your spouse unconditionally?

This question has no answer!

grin

Ideally, yes. Reality? Yes and no.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 8:57pm On Oct 25, 2021
emmnprince:
You tried to marry all written words in the Scripture as inspired. But doesn't work that way.

Words of Satan written of in the Scripture aren't inspired. The authors are the ones inspired. This might look unclear to you. But that's how inspiration is.
So what you are saying is that not all Scripture is inspired? undecided

And not all knowledge, of Good and Evil, belongs to God? undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Hathor5(f): 8:58pm On Oct 25, 2021
bukatyne:

Christianity, Islam, Buddism, Ifa worshippers etc. already have a set of principles expected from their followers.

Using Christianity as an example, adultery is a sin (sex outside marriage) so ideally, a Christian husband or wife shouldn't commit adultery. Same with lying, stealing, abuse of all forms, jealousy, laziness etc etc etc.

Therefore, if you are marrying someone of a particular sect, there are already expectations which I assume you call conditions.

@unconditional love: I don't think there can be unconditional love else we would 'fall in love' with anyone. I am more of strategically selecting your mate and giving them your all thereafter.

Same thought has crossed my mind too.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 8:58pm On Oct 25, 2021
DeRichard:
What exactly are you claiming is counter to what Jesus said?
What Jesus Christ said, not your convenient special interpretation, in Luke 20 vs 34 - 36 undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Hathor5(f): 8:59pm On Oct 25, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

This question has no answer!

grin

Ideally, yes. Reality? Yes and no.

I think it does but we all understand and answer it differently. smiley

1 Like

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by bukatyne(f): 9:00pm On Oct 25, 2021
tarboshi:
Getting marriage instructions from movies?

You are funny

Can you get marriage instructions from books?

2 Likes

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by DeRichard(m): 9:02pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
What Jesus Christ said, not your convenient special interpretation, in Luke 20 vs 34 - 36 undecided

I've already explained what Jesus meant in that passage and it's not that I'm trying to suit myself.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Ayo081(m): 9:02pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
You are wrong! Receiving the power of the Spirit of God will never elevate elevate the mightiest of us all to the status of Jesus Christ, the only one we are called to believe and trust and Obey. undecided

All the disciples are waiting in their graves for Jesus Christ to raise them and judge their works. So why do you believe you are right to put your trust in even that written in their letters? undecided

Jesus Christ, the one who gave them the Spirit of God, decreed that He alone is Head, Teacher, Master...Over each one who belongs to Him so why do you set His servants instead as god Over you in anyway? undecided

You're in error. They're leaders in the gathering of the saints. undecided

They don't serve and lord it over others undecided

Remember Christ said: 'whoever that wants to be great must be the least'. undecided

There was a reason why Christ told Peter; 'Upon you I'll build my Church'. undecided

Wonder why Peter was the first to speak to the gentiles undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by BRATISLAVA: 9:03pm On Oct 25, 2021
Hathor5:

I think it does but we all understand and answer it differently. smiley

Generally, from responses, we can say people tend not to love unconditionally. There's always something in it for everyone, and even if one does or doesn't (love unconditionally), their spouse may or may not.

It's hard to tell the intent of peoples hearts. I think the best we can do is be transparent on our parts and enjoy what we have.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Exjoker(m): 9:03pm On Oct 25, 2021
Hathor5:
Do you agree?

I am watching a series and in one of the episodes a couple goes to see a marriage counselor. She tells them that marriage is not about unconditional love but an agreement to show up the best we can. It is meant to challenge each spouse to bring out the best in them.

How useful is this kind of advice?
Why would someone want to do his best to please another person if he doesn't have a feeling of love for that person Until you understand what love really is then you will keep looking down on it like it just feeling in our heart.
Having people's interests in our heart is love itself... And when we are not expecting anything in return then it is love unconditionally...
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Hathor5(f): 9:05pm On Oct 25, 2021
Exjoker:

Why would someone want to do his best to please another person if he doesn't have a feeling of love for that person Until you understand what love really is then you will keep looking down on it like it just feeling in our heart.
Having people's interests in our heart is love itself...

I agree.

And we are not expecting anything in return then it is love unconditionally...

How many people do you know who don't expect anything in return?
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Ayo081(m): 9:05pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
We were just moments ago considering how own of the entries in Paul's letters obscures the Truth as given by Jesus Christ and here you are asking me this? undecided

That God permits a thing does then mean it is of God, does it? undecided

Again, don't forget Christ handed over to us how the Kingdom should be expanded by bringing people along. That's the commission given to followers.

Don't mix it up, Paul was not in disagreement with Christ after his revelatory conversation.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Hathor5(f): 9:06pm On Oct 25, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

Generally, from responses, we can say people tend not to love unconditionally. There's always something in it for everyone, and even if one does or doesn't (love unconditionally), their spouse may or may not.

It's hard to tell the intent of peoples hearts. I think the best we can do is be transparent on our parts and enjoy what we have.

True.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 9:12pm On Oct 25, 2021
DeRichard:
I've already explained what Jesus meant in that passage and it's not that I'm trying to suit myself.
I didn't ask you for an explanation/special interpretation of what is clearly written in human language in that there passage - Luke 20 vs 34 - 36 - since I am quite able to comprehend the language for myself. undecided

And as indicated, what you declare contradicts what Jesus Christ revealed over 2000 years ago. undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 9:15pm On Oct 25, 2021
Ayo081:

You're in error. They're leaders in the gathering of the saints. undecided
They don't serve and lord it over others undecided
Remember Christ said: 'whoever that wants to be great must be the least'. undecided
For the umpteenth time, Jesus Christ declared Himself the only Master, Leader/authority, Head, Shepherd, Teacher, Helper...etc. , over each of those who belong in His flock. So those whom you suggest are leaders over you are not of Him since He emphatically declared that no one who belongs to Him can serve two masters. undecided

Those who are great in His Kingdom are not leaders but slaves to the other servants...as in they serve others by doing good works as described in Matthew 25 vs 31 - 40 undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 9:18pm On Oct 25, 2021
Ayo081:
Again, don't forget Christ handed over to us how the Kingdom should be expanded by bringing people along. That's the commission given to followers.

Don't mix it up, Paul was not in disagreement with Christ after his revelatory conversation.
Christ never handed over His Kingdom to His servants... instead He sent His followers out to teach the Gospel to those in the world..those who are not Saved and of His Kingdom. His Kingdom, He alone is King and ruler over all those who belong in it. undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by DeRichard(m): 9:19pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I didn't ask you for an explanation/special interpretation of what is clearly written in human language in that there passage - Luke 20 vs 34 - 36 - since I am quite able to comprehend the language for myself. undecided

And as indicated, what you declare contradicts what Jesus Christ revealed over 2000 years ago. undecided

I did not contradict what Jesus said. Try to read the passage from verse 27, that gives a clearer understanding of what Jesus was talking about.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Ayo081(m): 9:19pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
For the umpteenth time, Jesus Christ declared Himself the only Master, Leader/authority, Head, Shepherd, Teacher, Helper...etc. , over each of those who belong in His flock. So those whom you suggest are leaders over you are not of Him since He emphatically declared that no one who belongs to Him can serve two masters. undecided

Again, recall that you're having a chit chat with another in Christ. undecided

Leadership in this context is not the wordly one undecided

I suspect you don't know how the Apostles of Christ go about their leadership undecided

There are reasons why Christ gave them teachings a about leadership undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Ayo081(m): 9:20pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Christ never handed over His Kingdom to His servants... instead He sent His followers out to teach the Gospel to those in the world..those who are not Saved and of His Kingdom. His Kingdom, He alone is King and ruler over all those who belong in it. undecided

You just paraphrased what I typed undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 9:22pm On Oct 25, 2021
DeRichard:
I did not contradict what Jesus said. Try to read the passage from verse 27, that gives a clearer understanding of what Jesus was talking about.
Pay attention to what Jesus Christ is telling them and you too.. this He made mighty clear in verse 34 - 36 where He pretty much tells you that your marriages are of this world and not of His Kingdom,a statement which contradicts your claim that marriage can be of Christ(His Kingdom). undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 9:24pm On Oct 25, 2021
Ayo081:
You just paraphrased what I typed undecided
I didn't do that at all. undecided
Pay attention.
Kobojunkie:
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 9:25pm On Oct 25, 2021
Ayo081:
Again, recall that you're having a chit chat with another in Christ. undecided
Leadership in this context is not the wordly one undecided
I suspect you don't know how the Apostles of Christ go about their leadership undecided
There are reasons why Christ gave them teachings a about leadership undecided
Again, in the Kingdom of God, there is only one Leader and His name is Jesus Christ. undecided

As far as the Church which is built by Jesus Christ is concerned, He alone is the vine and everyone else is a branch on the vine. ... no branch can lead another branch in the vine. Instead each branch directly abides in the vine and the vine in turn abides in each branch...
Kobojunkie:

Those who are great in His Kingdom are not leaders but slaves to the other servants...as in they serve others by doing good works as described in Matthew 25 vs 31 - 40 undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Ayo081(m): 9:28pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I didn't do that at all. undecided
Pay attention.

lol
Ok undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by DeRichard(m): 9:29pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Pay attention to what Jesus Christ is telling them and you too.. this He made mighty clear in verse 34 - 36 where He pretty much tells you that your marriages are of this world and not of His Kingdom,a statement which contradicts your claim that marriage can be of Christ(His Kingdom). undecided

I've already broken down what that passage meant that he meant we marry in this world we are today but they don't marry in heaven. This is just what it means.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Ayo081(m): 9:29pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Again, in the Kingdom of God, there is only one Leader and His name is Jesus Christ. undecided
As far as the Church which is built by Jesus Christ is concerned, He alone is the vine and everyone else is a branch on the vine. ... no branch can lead another branch in the vine. Instead each branch directly abides in the vine and the vine in turn abides in each branch...

I'll assume you don't get me undecided

Completely get your point tho undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 9:33pm On Oct 25, 2021
DeRichard:
I've already broken down what that passage meant that he meant we marry in this world we are today but they don't marry in heaven. This is just what it means.
I never asked you for your breakdown which I made clear contradicts what is clearly written and comprehended from the passage itself. undecided

Jesus Christ told you over 2000 years ago that your marriages have nothing to do with His Kingdom.. there is no such thing as a Christian marriage. So your claims contradicts Jesus Christ's very own Truth and means you are one of those who do not in fact accept Jesus Christ(His Truth). undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 9:34pm On Oct 25, 2021
Ayo081:
I 'll assume you don't get me undecided

Completely get your point tho undecided
I completely get what you are saying only that it does not line up with the teachings of Jesus Christ undecided

I know it sounds crazy when I tell you things like everyone who is attached to the church of men is headed in the other direction as far as Heaven is concerned. But it is the Truth as contained in the Gospel of the Kingdom of God. undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by DeRichard(m): 9:37pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I never asked you for your breakdown which I made clear contradicts what is clearly written and comprehended from the passage itself. undecided

Jesus Christ told you over 2000 years ago that your marriages have nothing to do with His Kingdom.. there is no such thing as a Christian marriage. So your claims contradicts Jesus Christ's very own Truth and means you are one of those who do not in fact accept Jesus Christ(His Truth). undecided

There something called Christian marriage. Please see this scripture:
1 Corinthians 7:39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.

"Only in the Lord".
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Uchesis: 9:38pm On Oct 25, 2021
ogawisdom:

U only need to accept Jesus n he loves u unconditionally
How can you give me a condition before you love me unconditionally?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How Do I Deal With A Denied Pregnancy? / Mom Drives Away With Her 5-weeks-old Baby On Top Of Car / Bad Cooks Don't Make Bad Wives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.