Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,623 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:05 PM

Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love (21155 Views)

Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance / POF: My Marriage Is About To Be Ruined Becaus Of A Secret I Kept From My Husband / My Marriage Is At The Brink Of Collapse Help Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 9:40pm On Oct 25, 2021
DeRichard:
There something called Christian marriage. Please see this scripture:
1 Corinthians 7:39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.

"Only in the Lord".
What law do you think is referenced there in that text? undecided

Jesus Christ told you in clear speak that your marriages are not of His Kingdom but of this world, yet you think that there text is able to counter Jesus Christ's own decree as far as His Kingdom is concerned? undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by DeRichard(m): 9:41pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
What law do you think is referenced there in that text? undecided

I don't get please.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 9:44pm On Oct 25, 2021
DeRichard:

I don't get please.
You posted the verse in your bid to counter Jesus Christ's own decree and I am asking you what law is it that binds the woman to the man as expressed in the verse ...

Also, Jesus Christ told you in clear speak that your marriages are not of His Kingdom but of this world, yet you think that there text is able to counter Jesus Christ's own decree as far as His Kingdom is concerned? undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by DeRichard(m): 9:46pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
You posted the verse in your bid to counter Jesus Christ's own decree and I am asking you what law is it that binds the woman to the man as expressed in the verse ...

Also, Jesus Christ told you in clear speak that your marriages are not of His Kingdom but of this world, yet you think that there text is able to counter Jesus Christ's own decree as far as His Kingdom is concerned? undecided

I'm not contradicting Jesus Christ.

This is the passage again: 1 Corinthians 7:39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.

The wife it says is subject to her husband as far as he's alive but if her husband dies she can marry another man but in the Lord. Which is an indication that she should marry within the Christian space.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Ayo081(m): 9:47pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I completely get what you are saying only that it does not line up with the teachings of Jesus Christ undecided

I know it sounds crazy when I tell you things like everyone who is attached to the church of men is headed in the other direction as far as Heaven is concerned. But it is the Truth as contained in the Gospel of the Kingdom of God. undecided

Absolutely! Christ prophesied that many will be led astray. undecided

But he then commanded his disciples to teach undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 25, 2021
Hathor5:

Are you sure you can love your spouse unconditionally?

I once believed in unconditional love, but I soon realized my folly.

I read a thread some while ago, I can't really remember the title but the whole theme was centered on a man who lost his job for a few months and had to walk on "egg shells" in his own home in order not to upset his wife who has been footing the bill for a few months.

The whole thread was comical, in fact the husband was grateful to his wife for being more tolerant, and although she had outbursts here and there but it wasn't "something he couldn't swallow" according to him. The thread was really eye opening as most comments from men and women alike insinuated that the op married an understanding wife with a little outburst about his loss of job.

People get frustrated when their needs aren't met and is anyone morally upright to judge them?

The only problem I have is people deciding what needs are good or evil, a woman frustrated by her husbands loss of job is good but a man frustrated about his wife's inability to bear kids is evil.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 9:59pm On Oct 25, 2021
DeRichard:
I'm not contradicting Jesus Christ.

This is the passage again: 1 Corinthians 7:39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.

The wife it says is subject to her husband as far as he's alive but if her husband dies she can marry another man but in the Lord. Which is an indication that she should marry within the Christian space.
Again, by what law is the wife bound to her husband? undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 10:03pm On Oct 25, 2021
Ayo081:
Absolutely! Christ prophesied that many will be led astray. undecided

But he then commanded his disciples to teach undecided
Jesus Christ instructed His disciples to teach those who are not saved - those who are yet to believe and be baptized. Recall that Jesus Christ declared that He alone is Teacher, leader/authority over those who are saved - those who are entered into His Kingdom. undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Ayo081(m): 10:06pm On Oct 25, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Jesus Christ instructed His disciples to teach those who are not saved - those who are yet to believe and be baptized. Recall that Jesus Christ declared that He alone is Teacher, leader/authority over those who are saved - those who are entered into His Kingdom. undecided

What do you think of discipleship making? undecided

Teaching those who need salvation for a day or two? undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by femi4: 10:06pm On Oct 25, 2021
Hathor5:
Do you agree?

I am watching a series and in one of the episodes a couple goes to see a marriage counselor. She tells them that marriage is not about unconditional love but an agreement to show up the best we can. It is meant to challenge each spouse to bring out the best in them.

How useful is this kind of advice?
Watch Donna Summer first

"Give me your unconditional love"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpLaDY1hlM8

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 10:16pm On Oct 25, 2021
Ayo081:
What do you think of discipleship making? undecided

Teaching those who need salvation for a day or two? undecided
Jesus Christ warned in Matthew 23 vs 8 - 10 that He alone is Teacher/ Rabbi to all those who belong to Him, a Rabbi being one who take disciples. What this means is that all other men who attempt the same in His name are frauds. undecided

Recall in John 15 vs 1 -11 how Jesus Christ taught us that He is the vine and we are the branches- every branch proceeds from the vine. Branches cannot proceed from other branches as you cannot serve two masters in the Kingdom of God. Jesus Christ alone is Head(Vine) and we are all His disciples(branches). And so those who have set above themselves other heads/teachers/masters/rabbis do not belong to Him. undecided

You mention about teaching who need salvation for a day or two and I wonder what you think it means to teach the Gospel. Jesus Christ went from town to town teaching people the very same Gospel, sometimes spending less than a day in each town he went to. undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by after4: 10:46pm On Oct 25, 2021
For me, love is is a decision with or without emotions

Magnoliaa:

Yeah, sure. smiley The realists should go right ahead and embrace it. Count me out.

Me? No. I don't have a definition for it, haven't seen the need to. But 1 Corinthians 13 is my go-to definition and guide. You can can check it out.

Lol. Of course. And I create stories like that as well. cheesy Sooo it's not far-fetched for me to believe in stuffs like that. How would I sell them, buy your interest and love and influence your beliefs if I don't believe myself? If I don't believe the words I write? Or the circumstances I create in my stories? Or the emotions I evoke to create a magical and satisfying experience when you flip the last page and back cover shut? Belief beget belief.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by gremp(m): 11:22pm On Oct 25, 2021
LordReed:

According to the Bible the god's love is conditional or else why would he need to forgive you your sins.

God is love, but not the type the current culture teaches.

He loves us but he can't force us to accept his love.

Since his nature is holy and unblemished, nothing unholy can be in his presence and we because are in sin, we need something ( Jesus Christ and his sacrifice, believing in him, John 3:16 ) to make us acceptable in his presence, that's why the forgiveness of sin is required.

He loves us but not the sin itself, that's why a way was provided, Jesus Christ.

This article gives a quick in-depth explanation;

https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-study/topical-studies/the-unconditional-love-of-god.html?amp
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Billygee2u: 1:25am On Oct 26, 2021
Iyaebe:
Best advice ever,it's best to study the flaws of a partner and see if you can cope with him/her than concentrating only on the good side.In marriage love should be secondary, marry who have sense and compatibility should be your top priority. Love will fade if you marry a stupid person and you'll begin to ask yourself if you were hypnotized.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Double0h7(f): 4:45am On Oct 26, 2021
Hathor5:
Do you agree?

I am watching a series and in one of the episodes a couple goes to see a marriage counselor. She tells them that marriage is not about unconditional love but an agreement to show up the best we can. It is meant to challenge each spouse to bring out the best in them.

How useful is this kind of advice?

You were watching "You" on Netflix grin

1 Like

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by DMerciful(m): 5:57am On Oct 26, 2021
There's nothing like unconditional love!
Longsleeve:

Unconditional love will cover everything if it's genuine..

If you love a stupid person unconditionally.. you won't see any stupidity again in him/her

1 Like

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by DMerciful(m): 6:06am On Oct 26, 2021
Mother and child is also conditional but the conditions are extreme before it breaks.
If you disrespect and maltreat your mom, it gets to a point she wishes you were not her child. So mothers love is based on the fact that you respect them and not maltreat them. It's conditional. Even the love of Christ is conditioned upon repentance
Lollittaa:

the Only form of unconditional love among humans is that between mother and child. Every other kind of love is conditioned upon meet some requirements.
So yes marriage is not based on unconditional love. Only a deep sense of loyalty and commitment.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by DMerciful(m): 6:07am On Oct 26, 2021
What an example! So you cannot forget money for someone you love? How much self?
Klass99:
I agree with her and I love what she said about showing up the best you can. No contest, no debate on this matter.

When I see or hear people say that true love is unconditional or say different variations of it like, if you truly love me you will forget about the money (meaning the loan they took from you like Caryorday's ex grin) I think to myself yeye and naivety is worrying this one.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by DeRichard(m): 6:22am On Oct 26, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Again, by what law is the wife bound to her husband? undecided

Look at n example of Nigerian marriages today. They do do court marriage that's the law that binds them as husband and wife and if they want to divorce they are separated by the same law by the court.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 6:33am On Oct 26, 2021
DeRichard:
Look at n example of Nigerian marriages today. They do do court marriage that's the law that binds them as husband and wife and if they want to divorce they are separated by the same law by the court.
The reference made to Law in Paul's letter the Corinthians referenced one of God's Laws. My question to you is which of God's Law did Paul reference in that verse which you quoted. The answer is of importance to the discussion. undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Hathor5(f): 6:34am On Oct 26, 2021
Double0h7:

You were watching "You" on Netflix grin

smiley

1 Like

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Hathor5(f): 6:36am On Oct 26, 2021
theForth:

I once believed in unconditional love, but I soon realized my folly.

I read a thread some while ago, I can't really remember the title but the whole theme was centered on a man who lost his job for a few months and had to walk on "egg shells" in his own home in order not to upset his wife who has been footing the bill for a few months.

The whole thread was comical, in fact the husband was grateful to his wife for being more tolerant, and although she had outbursts here and there but it wasn't "something he couldn't swallow" according to him. The thread was really eye opening as most comments from men and women alike insinuated that the op married an understanding wife with a little outburst about his loss of job.

People get frustrated when their needs aren't met and is anyone morally upright to judge them?

The only problem I have is people deciding what needs are good or evil, a woman frustrated by her husbands loss of job is good but a man frustrated about his wife's inability to bear kids is evil.

Frustration that a man lost his job is not due to a lack of love but the result of worries such as how will we pay the rent, school fees etc.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by DeRichard(m): 6:36am On Oct 26, 2021
Kobojunkie:
The reference made to Law in Paul's letter the Corinthians referenced one of God's Laws. My question to you is which of God's Law did Paul reference in that verse which you quoted. The answer is of importance to the discussion. undecided

To my understanding it wasn't God's law that passage was referring to but the law that binds a woman in marriage as in the law of the court that binds couples in marriage. This is what I believe though.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 6:42am On Oct 26, 2021
DeRichard:
To my understanding it wasn't God's law that passage was referring to but the law that binds a woman in marriage as in the law of the court that binds couples in marriage. This is what I believe though.
Now we are getting somewhere. According to Paul, what he presented to you in the context of 1 Corinthians 7 vs 25 - 40 is his personal opinion and not that commanded of God - Not of God's Law. undecided
25 Now I write about people who are not married.[a] I have no command from the Lord about this, but I give my opinion. And I can be trusted, because the Lord has given me mercy. - 1 Corinthians 7 vs 25
Yet, you are all too willing to ignore God's direct commandments given to you by the one who is God's New Covenant Law, Jesus Christ, this so you can cling to the opinion of a man named Paul? undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by DeRichard(m): 6:48am On Oct 26, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Now we are getting somewhere. According to Paul, what he presented to you in the context of 1 Corinthians 7 vs 25 - 40 is his personal opinion and not that commanded of God - Not of God's Law. undecided
Yet, you are all too willing to ignore God's direct commandments given to you by the one who is God's New Covenant Law, Jesus Christ, this so you can cling to the opinion of a man named Paul? undecided

Look at the church today. We have prophets and sometimes we go to them for spiritual advice/counselling. On some issues, they will advice one based on their spiritual experience not as if God directed them to give that particular advice. Will we now say because it's not directly from God we will not hearken to such advice.

And I have still tried to let you know what Jesus meant in that Luke 20 passage.

In all, what you're just trying to bring out is for a marriage to be successful it doesn't necessarily need to be dependent on God. Which is wrong.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 7:20am On Oct 26, 2021
DeRichard:

Look at the church today. We have prophets and sometimes we go to them for spiritual advice/counselling. On some issues, they will advice one based on their spiritual experience not as if God directed them to give that particular advice. Will we now say because it's not directly from God we will not hearken to such advice.

And I have still tried to let you know what Jesus meant in that Luke 20 passage.

In all, what you're just trying to bring out is for a marriage to be successful it doesn't necessarily need to be dependent on God. Which is wrong.
What you do in your churches and those who you call prophets in them have nothing to do with Jesus Christ or God's Law and Truth in the Kingdom of God , so let's not deviate from this please. undecided

Jesus Christ was clear in His teachings and commandments that He alone is Teacher/Rabbi, counselor, Master, Authority/Head, Guide, Shepherd etc., over each and everyone of those who belong to Him, so I am not sure why you seek advice from men pretending God is in what you do. undecided

Again, Jesus Christ, the one whose Kingdom it is made it clear to all those who will enter into His Kingdom that marriages are of this world and not of His Kingdom - there are no such things as Christian marriages - this in Luke 20 vs 34 - 36. That you deny His Truth speaks volumes of whose you are as it seems you are not even in the same boat with the one you call savior. undecided

God, who instituted marriage, never declared that its "success" depends on Jesus Christ - God never declared any such. So for you to put your own words into God's mouth - this against God's commandment that you not add or remove from God's Law - indicates your trust is not in God but in the traditions and doctrines of men instead. undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by DeRichard(m): 7:26am On Oct 26, 2021
Kobojunkie:
What you do in your churches and those who you call prophets in them have nothing to do with Jesus Christ or God's Law and Truth in the Kingdom of God , so let's not deviate from this please. undecided

Jesus Christ was clear in His teachings and commandments that He alone is Teacher/Rabbi, counselor, Master, Authority/Head, Guide, Shepherd etc., over each and everyone of those who belong to Him, so I am not sure why you seek advice from men pretending God is in what you do. undecided

Again, Jesus Christ, the one whose Kingdom it is made it clear to all those who will enter into His Kingdom that marriages are of this world and not of His Kingdom - there are no such things as Christian marriages - this in Luke 20 vs 34 - 36. That you deny His Truth speaks volumes of whose you are as it seems you are not even in the same boat with the one you call savior. undecided

God, who instituted marriage, never declared that its "success" depends on Jesus Christ - God never declared any such. So for you to put your own words into God's mouth - this against God's commandment that you not add or remove from God's Law - indicates your trust is not in God but in the traditions and doctrines of men instead. undecided

Without the Holy Spirit no man can truly understand the true interpretations of the Bible. I assume you're not a Christian from what you said about we listening to our prophets who God gave power from time immemorial, since the days of the old testament to lead his people.

Please become a born again Christian today. Jesus is the only way.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Kobojunkie: 7:38am On Oct 26, 2021
DeRichard:
Without the Holy Spirit no man can truly understand the true interpretations of the Bible. I assume you're not a Christian from what you said about we listening to our prophets who God gave power from time immemorial, since the days of the old testament to lead his people.

Please become a born again Christian today. Jesus is the only way.
Jesus Christ never said one first needs the Holy Spirit in order to understand the Bible, nor did He say there was need for an interpretation to begin with. undecided

The books of the Bible where written by men in human language and were meant to be understood by human minds using applying basic human language comprehension skills which the average individual out learns from a very early age. There is no interpretation need for any of what is written in that book since it is in human language and meant for human consumption. undecided

You claim you listen for prophets who God sent but you refuse to listen and trust in Jesus Christ, the one who the prophets of Old all told you is to come, why? undecided
You think yourself a Christian where you use deceit to wriggle your way out of trusting the very words of Jesus Christ, the Christ in Christian? undecided
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Karlifate: 7:54am On Oct 26, 2021
Don't delude yourself. No human being can love you unconditionally.

Even your parents will start complaining & naming sacrifices they made for you, if you fail to provide for them at a certain age.

P.S. Only Jesus can love you unconditionally.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Nobody: 8:13am On Oct 26, 2021
Hathor5:

Frustration that a man lost his job is not due to a lack of love but the result of worries such as how will we pay the rent, school fees etc.

And same can't be said for frustration due to a woman's inability to conceive?

I really dont blame people who take actions based on their survival instincts, its what all of us do although some take it to the extreme parts.
Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by Nobody: 8:13am On Oct 26, 2021
Karlifate:
Don't delude yourself. No human being can love you unconditionally.

Even your parents will start complaining & naming sacrifices they made for you, if you fail to provide for them at a certain age.

P.S. Only Jesus can love you unconditionally.

Abeg help me loud it.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Is Not About Unconditional Love by DeRichard(m): 9:15am On Oct 26, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Jesus Christ never said one first needs the Holy Spirit in order to understand the Bible, nor did He say there was need for an interpretation to begin with. undecided

The books of the Bible where written by men in human language and were meant to be understood by human minds using applying basic human language comprehension skills which the average individual out learns from a very early age. There is no interpretation need for any of what is written in that book since it is in human language and meant for human consumption. undecided

You claim you listen for prophets who God sent but you refuse to listen and trust in Jesus Christ, the one who the prophets of Old all told you is to come, why? undecided
You think yourself a Christian where you use deceit to wriggle your way out of trusting the very words of Jesus Christ, the Christ in Christian? undecided

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

The scriptures came by inspiration of God and understanding the Bible is not just by mere reading the text. The meanings of the scriptures are more than just the text. It takes the grace of God to fully understand the Bible.

No man who claims to be a Christian will disobey the words of Christ.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Man Fakes His Career For 14 Years To Wife, Goes To Another Woman's House / Impending Child Custody Battle: Baby Mama Preventing Access To My Daughter / Two Missing Kids Found Dead In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.