Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,513 members, 7,812,599 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:54 PM

How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead (18791 Views)

Little Teachings on The Holy Trinity{A must Read For all Christians} / Do You Believe In The Holy Trinity ? / The Godhead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:33am On Jul 26, 2007
I know that there are many illustrations  that we can use to describe the holy trinity(Godhead), I am asking if our fellow bible students can use this forum (thread) to suggest the ones they wish to share so as to help those who are struggling to comprehend this mystery.  I know there may be no perfect illustrations but if our analogies can be as close as possible to the real thing will go a long way in enlightening those who cannot understand it.

I'll start by suggesting the three arms of a Government: The Executive, Legislative and the Judiciary.  These three organs form one Government just as the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit make up the Holy Trinity or Godhead otherwise called one God.

Can you suggest other illustrations please?

Thanks
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:47am On Jul 27, 2007
Space, Matter and Time
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:58am On Jul 27, 2007
1 x 1 x 1 = 1
The Father, the Word, the Holy Spirit = God. IJohn.5:7; Matthew. 3:16-17;28:19.

1 Like

Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:25pm On Jul 28, 2007
Water (H2O) can be in 3 states; solid (ice), liquid and gas (steam).  This is not a perfect description, but gives an idea to the finite man.
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:44pm On Mar 28, 2008
OLAADEGBU:

Space, Matter and Time

God made space in 3 dimensions probably to remind us of the trinity;

Height, Length and Width;
(Up and down, left and right, forward and backward);
Other movements are combinations of these directions in space.

God in three persons and still one in nature, space is also in three dimensions and one in nature.

1 Like

Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:59pm On Mar 28, 2008
Another illustration is when God created time in Genesis 1:1.

Even though time has one dimension it is perceived in three divisions: Past, Present and Future. Time reminds us of God's triune nature, which is three in One.

God lives outside time, called eternity which is the life time of the never dying God, He has given us this gift through the second Person in trinity. Whoever receives the Son receives eternal life. Romans 6:23; 1John.5:11-13.
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:35pm On Mar 28, 2008
Matter is primarily composed of three types of particles (atoms) with the exception of hydrogen.

Atomic particles speak of God's triune nature.  They have a three in one nature comprising of Protons, Neutrons and Electrons.

Protons and Neutrons each contains three smaller particles called quarks

God has revealed to us His divine nature by the natural things He has created so we have no excuse.  Romans. 1:18-20

The Bible also records His Trinity in Genesis that , in the beginning (time), God(Elohim; Father, The Word and The Holy Spirit) created the heavens (space) and the earth (matter).  Genesis 1:1; John.1:1; 1John.5:7.

Therefore, the universe itself is a three in one orderly way reflecting its Ruler and Maker who is the Alpha and Omega who created it and sustains it by the Word of His Power (Hebrews 1:3) 

-See what one of the few astrophysicsts in creation science research in the name of Jason Lisle who has a Ph.D. in astrophysics.
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by SunGod1: 6:53pm On Mar 28, 2008
kai the delirum in Nairaland is really getting out of hand sha! sad
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by babs787(m): 2:05pm On Mar 29, 2008
@Olaadegbu

Does your trinity has any biblical backing?

Was it preached by any of the OT prophets?

Did Jesus preach Trinity?

More coming soon,
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:35pm On Mar 31, 2008
babs787:

@Olaadegbu
Does your trinity has any biblical backing?
Was it preached by any of the OT prophets?
Did Jesus preach Trinity?

@babs787,
My answer to your questions are in the affirmative.  For you to understand and comprehend the meaning of the Triune God you have to believe that He is and He rewards those that diligently seek Him.  Hebrews 11:6

Therefore, put aside all your preconceptions, presuppositions, world-views, philosophies and ideologies and go to Him with an open mind and ask Him to reveal Himself to you.  He is your creator and ruler of the universe, as He sees the sincerity in your intentions He will surely show up.  John 14:21
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:50pm On Mar 31, 2008
Sun God:

kai the delirum in Nairaland is really getting out of hand sha! sad

Do you mean delirium?  This is what the Word of God says about why you think it is delirium.

1 Corinthians 1:18-29

18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:

23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:

27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

29 That no flesh should glory in his presence
  1 Corinthians 1:18-29
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:02am On Apr 01, 2008
For those who are still contending with the Word of God:  There is no excuse because the universe is a revelation of the Godhead (trinity) and all invisible things.

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

Romans 1:18-24
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by JayFK(m): 12:15am On Apr 01, 2008
OLAADEGBU your delusional. Your beliefs are so warped, I just have to comment on them.
"Paul's letters" have all of a sudden become the "word of God" more like the "word of Paul". And please your embarrassing yourself attempting to use sub atomic particles to prove "the nature of god", these have been proven to exist unlike your god whose existence or rather proof of his his existence continues to elude us.
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:01am On Apr 01, 2008
JayFK:

OLAADEGBU your delusional. Your beliefs are so warped, I just have to comment on them.
"Paul's letters" have all of a sudden become the "word of God" more like the "word of Paul". And please your embarrassing yourself attempting to use sub atomic particles to prove "the nature of god", these have been proven to exist unlike your god whose existence or rather proof of his his existence continues to elude us.

@JayFK, you can now see why the Word of God is fresher than tomorrow's newspaper.   It has accurately described your line of thoughts in the quotations below, and this shows that Paul's epistle is inspired by the Holy Spirit.  The reason you cannot fathom the existence of God is because you are a natural man as described in the scriptures.

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

1 Corinthians 2:9-16

The natural man is a person living under the control of fleshly passions, the sensual and depraved part of man in contrast with the rational part.  He is the animal man as opposed to the spiritual man.  He has no sense of spiritual values neither does he desire them.  He counts it the highest wisdom to live for this world and carnal pleasures.  Spiritual things are foolishness to him, he cannot see their supreme excellence due to animal appetites and being spiritually dead.

In contrast, the spiritual man lives under the control of the Holy Spirit and minds the things of the Spirit.  He has the mind of Christ and discerns and esteems spiritual things above the sensual.  He is a new creature and resurrected from death in trespasses and sins.  The lower animal passions have been crucified and put off.
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by JayFK(m): 1:26am On Apr 01, 2008
OLAADEGBU:

@JayFK, you can now see why the Word of God is fresher than tomorrow's newspaper. It has accurately described your line of thoughts in the quotations below, and this shows that Paul's epistle is inspired by the Holy Spirit. The reason you cannot fathom the existence of God is because you are a natural man as described in the scriptures.

1 Corinthians 2:9-16 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)

The natural man is a person living under the control of fleshly passions, the sensual and depraved part of man in contrast with the rational part. He is the animal man as opposed to the spiritual man. He has no sense of spiritual values neither does he desire them. He counts it the highest wisdom to live for this world and carnal pleasures. Spiritual things are foolishness to him, he cannot see their supreme excellence due to animal appetites and being spiritually dead.

In contrast, the spiritual man lives under the control of the Holy Spirit and minds the things of the Spirit. He has the mind of Christ and discerns and esteems spiritual things above the sensual. He is a new creature and resurrected from death in trespasses and sins. The lower animal passions have been crucified and put off.

lmao, it is up to every individual to define his own code of ethics, not Paul's letters to his followers aka "the word of god".
All you have stated before, resurrection of spirit and all that crap seems to be a recurring theme in pagan religions which Christianity is based on.
What, Fleshly passions like being helpful to your neighbor, being polite, not seeking war? Those are "earthly"? Okay why does God need money exactly? surely money is "earthly"?

Spiritual things and "spirituality" are only valuable to the gullible, especially those people who feel the need to fill in "the god of the gaps", its human nature and its perfectly understandable. But to claim that your vision of your imaginary beings properties can be analogous to science is just profoundly stupid.

I fail to see how my line of logic proves my fellow MAN's belief in an imaginary being.
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:59am On Apr 01, 2008
It was G.K. Chesterton who rightly stated, "If there were no God, there would be no atheists." A thinking person will tell you that it's impossible to prove that God doesn't exist. Before someone can say, "There is no God," he or she needs to have all knowledge — because somewhere in the universe there may be evidence that God does exist. And there is, right under our noses. A building is proof there was a builder. A painting is proof there was a painter, and creation is absolute proof that there was and is a Creator. The question is, are you good enough to go to Heaven? Here's how to know: Have you ever lied (even once) or stolen (regardless of value)? Have you ever used God's name in vain, or had sexual thoughts about someone to whom you are not married? Have you ever hated someone? If you said yes to those questions, on Judgment Day God will see you as a lying thief, a blasphemer, an adulterer, and even a murderer. Jesus said, "Whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart," and Scripture also says that if you hate someone, you are a murderer. This is the Bible's warning — if God gives you justice on Judgment Day, you will end up in Hell. Forever. Not believing in something won't make it go away. You need to be forgiven before that day, and because God is rich in mercy He made a way for you to be clean in His sight: "God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Jesus suffered and died on the cross, taking the punishment for your sins. He paid your fine in His life's blood, so that you could leave the courtroom. Then He rose from the dead and defeated death. Your death sentence can be commuted. Please, come to your senses— repent and trust in Jesus, and God will forgive you and grant you eternal life. Pray something like: "Dear God, please forgive my sins (name them). I turn from them and trust Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour. In His name I pray. Amen." Then read the Bible daily and obey what you read (see John 14:21). Now go to www.livingwaters.com and click on "Save Yourself Some Pain."

Death is definite and your creator and ruler of the universe will be judging you by His moral standard which is the 10 commandments and if you do not pass that test with your own code of ethics you will find yourself eternally separated from God in the lake of fire. To avoid this calamity happening to you avail yourself of the free gift of eternal life that Jesus has purchased for you with His own blood so that you will not be judged on judgment day and start to enjoy all the benefits of eternal life from now on.
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by MCUsman(m): 2:40pm On Apr 01, 2008
OLAADEGBU:

One multiplied by One multiplied by One is equal to One (1 times 1 times 1 = 1)
The Father, the Word, the Holy Spirit = God. IJohn.5:7; Matthew. 3:16-17;28:19.

We find in the "Trinity" — Father — Son — and Holy Ghost, perhaps the culmination of the efforts of people struggling for a 'Supremacy' in religious expression and achieving an enigma, few Christians can adequately explain today,
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by JayFK(m): 3:54pm On Apr 01, 2008
OLAADEGBU:

Death is definite and your creator and ruler of the universe will be judging you by His moral standard which is the 10 commandments and if you do not pass that test with your own code of ethics you will find yourself eternally separated from God in the lake of fire. To avoid this calamity happening to you avail yourself of the free gift of eternal life that Jesus has purchased for you with His own blood so that you will not be judged on judgment day and start to enjoy all the benefits of eternal life from now on.

I dont believe in life after death nor do I believe in god, I'm sure if there was even life after death my own code of ethics will hold up. But hey that's Christianity's for you, believe or be everlastingly tortured. What a sociopathic god you believe in. Human imagination is a wonderful thing. That's why you have idiots like uchkochi claiming that Aids is a spirit.
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:58pm On Apr 01, 2008
MC Usman:

We find in the "Trinity" — Father — Son — and Holy Ghost, perhaps the culmination of the efforts of people struggling for a 'Supremacy' in religious expression and achieving an enigma, few Christians can adequately explain today,

16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Matthew 3:16-17

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Matthew 28:19

7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

1 John 5:7
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:38pm On Apr 01, 2008
JayFK:

I don't believe in life after death nor do I believe in god, I'm sure if there was even life after death my own code of ethics will hold up. But hey that's Christianity's for you, believe or be everlastingly tortured. What a sociopathic god you believe in. Human imagination is a wonderful thing. That's why you have idiots like uchkochi claiming that Aids is a spirit.

It does not take a rocket scientist to come to the conclusion that if there is a wristwatch found in the Sahara desert it must have been made by a watchmaker and that it did not form itself by chance as you are made to believe.  In the same logic you will expect that Matter was created by a Creator.  Time had a beginning, likewise Space and they will all have an end or expiry date.

You as a person as an intelligent being is expected to search out the meaning and purpose of your presence here on earth and what would happen to you when your time expires.  It is a privilege to pass through time, space and matter but when your time is up will you be prepared to meet your maker?  You may say you don't believe but if and if you find out after death that you are to face your maker on the judgment day would that not be too much of a risk to your soul to meet Him unprepared?
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by JayFK(m): 6:21pm On Apr 01, 2008
OLAADEGBU:

It does not take a rocket scientist to come to the conclusion that if there is a wristwatch found in the Sahara desert it must have been made by a watchmaker and that it did not form itself by chance as you are made to believe. In the same logic you will expect that Matter was created by a Creator. Time had a beginning, likewise Space and they will all have an end or expiry date.

Your analogy is not applicable here. What number does pi end at?

OLAADEGBU:

You as a person as an intelligent being is expected to search out the meaning and purpose of your presence here on earth and what would happen to you when your time expires. It is a privilege to pass through time, space and matter but when your time is up will you be prepared to meet your maker? You may say you don't believe but if and if you find out after death that you are to face your maker on the judgment day would that not be too much of a risk to your soul to meet Him unprepared?

so your god used the earth as a proving ground for his creation? so much for being omniscient.
Anyways I'm done with this argument.
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by babs787(m): 8:09pm On Apr 01, 2008
@Olaadegbu

My answer to your questions are in the affirmative. For you to understand and comprehend the meaning of the Triune God you have to believe that He is and He rewards those that diligently seek Him. Hebrews 11:6

There is no OT prophet that preached trinity and it has no biblical backing. The catholic that even started it are saying it is a misery that couldnt be defined.

Mathematically, 1 + 1 + 1 = 3 but spiritually or in the christian world:

1 + 1 + 1 = 1.

Gos is God, son is God, Holy sprit is God yet they are not equal

Therefore, put aside all your preconceptions, presuppositions, world-views, philosophies and ideologies and go to Him with and open mind and ask Him to reveal Himself to you. He is your creator and ruler of the universe, as He sees the sincerity in your intention He will surely show up. John 14:21

I already have him (Jesus) as the slave and messenfer of God sent to the children of Israel. Can you still give me the full quote of John 14 v 21 and we explain that verse?

If your Jesus is God, who did he pray to when he learnt that they wanted to kill him?

Who did he tell that, 'my God, why has thou forsaken me?

If Jesus is God, spirit is God etc, why does blasphemy against son of man has forgiveness but that of holy has none?

If Jesus is really God, why did he say that God is greater than him?

16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

You even made me know in the above verse that God is greater than Jesus hence 'this is my beloved son"? Did God call himself son?

Later, we will still confirm if the voice came from God.

Matthew 3:16-17 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Matthew 28:19

Baptising them in the name of the father, of the son and holy ghost is quite different from God is God, son is God and holy spirit is God.

To you, does all nations mean all the world?

In "The Dictionary of the Bible," John L. McKenzie, S.J., p. 899 bearing the Nihil Obstat, Imprimatur, and Imprimi Potest (official Church seals of approval), we read:

"THE TRINITY OF GOD IS DEFINED BY THE CHURCH AS THE BELIEF THAT IN GOD ARE THREE PERSONS WHO SUBSIST IN ONE NATURE. THAT BELIEF AS SO DEFINED WAS REACHED ONLY IN THE 4th AND 5th CENTURIES AD AND HENCE IS NOT EXPLICITLY AND FORMALLY A BIBLICAL BELIEF.

This polytheistic (believing in more than one god) Trinitarianism was intertwined with Greek religion and philosophy and slowly worked its way into Christian thought and creeds some 300 years after Jesus. The idea of "God the Son" is Babylonian paganism and mythology that was grafted into Christianity. Tertullian, a lawyer and presbyter of the third century Church in Carthage, was the first to use the word "Trinity" when he put forth the theory that the Son and the Spirit participate in the being of God, but all are of one being of substance with the Father.

The Jews also reject the trinity, in addition to the very first groups of Christianity such as the Ebonites, the Corinthians, the Basilidians, the Capocratians, and the Hypisistarians never know about trinity doctrine at all. The Arians, Paulicians and Goths also accepted Jesus (peace be upon him) as a prophet of God and against the trinity.

7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

1 John 5:7 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)

The above is in King James Version authorised in 1611 and formed the strongest evidence for the Doctrine of the Trinity. But now this part, 'the father, the word and the holy ghost; and these three are one' has been expunged in the Revised Standard Version of 1952 and 1971 and in many other bibles as it was a gloss that had encroached on the Greek test.

I john 5 v 7 and 8 in the New American Standard Bible read as follows; 'and it is the spirit who bears witness because the spirit is truth. For there are three that bear witness, the spirit, and the water and the blood and the three are in agreement.

Also in the New World Translation of Holy Scriptures used by Jehovah Witness, you will find 'for there are three witness bearers, the spirit and the water and the blood and the three are in agreement'.

When you provide your rebuttal, I will give you verses from the bible that shows that Jesus is never God and will never be.

Thank you.
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by PastorAIO: 1:14pm On Apr 02, 2008

I find it hard to believe that bibles still containing the above quote still exist. There is absolutely no biblical support for the Trinity, it was arrived at by the church (through the guidance of the holy spirit). The line saying these three are one was a very very late addition to the bible which was later rescinded. Olaadegbu must be reading a very old bible, but not old enough.
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:18pm On Apr 02, 2008
Pastor AIO:

I find it hard to believe that bibles still containing the above quote still exist. There is absolutely no biblical support for the Trinity, it was arrived at by the church (through the guidance of the holy spirit). The line saying these three are one was a very very late addition to the bible which was later rescinded. Olaadegbu must be reading a very old bible, but not old enough.

The above verse was in the original book that the apostle John wrote under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

The Ante-Nicene Fathers such as The Bishop of Carthage, named Cyprian, 200-258 A.D.  quoted this verse as being written by John.  See vol. v, 418,423, Ante-Nicene Fathers. 
Vigilius of Thapsus quotes it in the 5th century. 
The Codex Montfortii and the Vulgate contain it.

Therefore the words are in perfect harmony with the doctrine of the Trinity.  The fact that you do not have the word trinity in the Bible does not mean that it does not present itself throughout the scriptures.  You cannot find the word "Grandfather" in the Bible but that does not mean that there are no grandfathers in it.  The doctrine of trinity is not just based on one single verse of the Bible but it is spread from Genesis to revelation.  God is presented as being Father, Son, and Spirit - not three "gods" but three persons of the one and only God.  Matthews 28:19; 1Cor. 16:23-24; 2Cor.13:13.  In other words called members of the Godhead.

The Father is presented as the source of creation, the giver of life and God of all the universe.  John 5:26; 1Cor. 8:6

The Son is depicted more as the image of the invisible God, the exact representation of His being and nature and the Messiah- Redeemer Phil.2:5-6;Col.1:14-16; Heb.1:1-3.

The Holy Spirit is God in action, God reaching people influencing them, changing them from inside, filling them and guiding them.  John 14:26; 15:26; Galatians 4:6; Ephesians 2:18.

All three (tri-) are a tri-unity, living in one another and working together to accomplish their divine plan for the universe.  John 16:13-15

As individual Persons each can be called God and collectively they can be spoken of as One God because of their perfect unity.  The word God is either used as a singular or a plural word, just as we use the word sheep.  The only difference is in their position, office and work.  If the husband and wife are united as one, they are equal but the position of the husband is the head of the family otherwise if there are two heads the family will not be united.
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:28pm On Apr 02, 2008

God’s Word teaches:
That the Godhead consists of three separate, distinct, and recognizable personalities and qualities, perfectly united in one. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost are different Persons in the Godhead, not merely three names for one Person - Matthew 3:16,17; 2 Corinthians 13:14; Matthew 28:19, 20.

The Godhead consists of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. The Bible clearly teaches that each member of the Godhead is God; separate, distinct and recognisable personalities and qualities perfectly united in one.
The Father is called God (I Corinthians 8:6; Psalm 89:26; I Chronicles 29:10; Matthew 6:9),
The Son, Jesus Christ, is called God (Isaiah 9:6,7; John 20:28), and

The Holy Ghost is called God (Acts 5:3-4; 1 Corinthians 3:16,17; 6:19,20; Hebrews 3:7-9; 10:15,16; Jeremiah 31:31-34).

From the foregoing it is clear that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost are three distinct Persons, co-eternal, co-existent and co-equal in power and divine attributes that make each God.  The word “GOD” in Genesis 1:1 means Elohim and in Hebrew language this is the plural of El (The Strong One). “Elohini’ (The Strong Ones) appear more than 2,700 times in the Old Testament and this plurality is seen in: “Let Us make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness”; “The LORD said ,  let US go down, and there confound their language” (Genesis 1:26; 3:22; 11:6,7; John 14:23; Psalm2:3). The Godhead is also referred to as the Holy Trinity (Romans 1:20).

The unity of the Godhead is scripturally evidenced in the execution of all divine plans and purposes.  At creation, a significant fact about the Godhead emerged with the use of the plural noun “us”, by God Himself (Genesis 1:26).  Elementarily, this implies the involvement of more than one personality in the creation of man.  The same word continued to recur first, after the fall of man (Genesis 3:22), and on the threshold of God’s perfect desire to curb the foolish excesses of man, by wisely confounding him with diverse languages (Genesis 11:7).
The testimony of scriptures on the ministry of the Lord Jesus Christ reveals the perfect unity of the Godhead.  It was God’s anointing and the Power of the Holy Ghost that enabled Jesus to fulfil His ministry (Acts 10:38).

The divine-human relationship also confirms God in three persons perfecting the relationship of man with the Triune God (Ephesians 2:18). The complementary functions of the Trinity are referred to in almost all books of the New Testament (Matthew 3:16,17; 28:19; Mark 1:10; John 16:7-15; 6:37,44; Romans 8:16; I Thessalonians 5:23; Ephesians 5:25; I Peter 1:2; I Corinthians 12:4,7; Acts 10:38).

The three personalities in the Godhead acted together in the incarnation of the Lord Jesus Christ.  God the Father did not only make His Son available to assume the garb of human flesh preparatory for His vicarious mission (John 3:16), He despatched an angel to announce the impending birth of the Saviour of the whole world by a virgin.  This was a supernatural work that was subsequently fully perfected by the power of the Holy Ghost (Luke 1:26,35).

Further proof of the truth about the Godhead became clear at the baptism of Jesus Christ, when the Father sent the Holy Ghost in bodily form as a dove upon[b] Christ[/b], and God Almighty Himself made a public proclamation of Jesus as His beloved Son. (Matthew 3:16,17).  Even at the onset of His ministry, Jesus affirmed the companionship of God the Father and the Holy Ghost with Him.  It was only by their combined workings that He was to fulfil His multi-pronged ministy of preaching the gospel, healing the sick, delivering the captives, etc. (Luke 4:18).

Truly, the work of redemption which Jesus Christ completed by submitting Himself to die on the cross, was a joint venture with the Father and the Holy Ghost (Hebrews 9:14), as was the second work of grace, sanctification or holiness, by which man is cleansed from his in-bred depravity, the fallen nature he inherited from Adam (John 17:17; Romans 15:16).  Also, the Godhead is at work in empowering believers through the baptism in the Holy Spirit, to discharge the duties handed them by God (John 15:26; 16:7-15; Luke 11:13).

Christ’s command as He handed down the Great Commission to His disciples was to baptize all that repent and believe the gospel, in the Name of the[b] Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost [/b] (Matthew. 28:19).

Even today, our prayer involves the three personalities in the Godhead.  We direct our prayers to God the Father (Luke 11:2; 22:42; 23:34,46;John 17:1,5,24- 26; James 1:5) through Jesus Christ, the Son (John 14:13,14; 15:16); And of course, without the help of the Holy Spirit all our prayers will be in vain (Romans
8:26).
The Godhead is the universal testimony of the scriptures, for “there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word (Son) and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one” (I John 5:7). It is, only the perfect work of the Godhead that has continued to sustain us on a day-to-day basis as believers (2 Corinthians 13:14).
The Godhead is a great mystery which is clearly beyond the finite mind of the unsaved natural man (I Corinthians 2:14). The believer accepts the gospel truth of the Trinity by faith, recognizing that God remains the eternal repository of all mysteries (Deuteronomy 29:29); that with respect to His being or essence, God is one; with respect to His personality, God is three; and the essence must neither be divided nor the persons confused. In spite of the great mystery surrounding it, the doctrine of the Godhead has always proved to be eminently rich in spiritual and practical values. And for all those willing, the Lord Jesus Christ promises the advent of a blissful reign by the Godhead (John 14:23; Revelation 3:20).
http://www.dclm.org/
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by babs787(m): 7:50pm On Apr 03, 2008
@Olaadegbu

Did you read my post up?
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by samba123(m): 12:26pm On Apr 04, 2008
@babs787

Olaadegbu is avoiding your presentation of the verses you have been posted. You know they can't figure it out lol?
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:30pm On Apr 04, 2008
babs787:

@Olaadegbu
Did you read my post up?

@babs787,

I have indeed read your posts and I do appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to reply me with those questions, but I still feel that my answers will be of little or no use to you if you do not allow the author of the bible to open your eyes to the mysteries therein Deut.29:29.

I had earlier on in my posts challenged you to empty yourself of all your dogma, presuppositions, worldviews, pride and ideologies and sincerely ask your creator to reveal His Truth and Personality to you, it is only after then that His Words will make sense to you because they are spiritually discerned.

Nicodemus was a religious Jewish ruler who tried to use human reasoning to understand what Jesus meant by being born again in John 3:3-12

3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. [/color]

4 [color=#000099]Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.[/color][color=#990000]

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?

10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?

11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.

12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?[/

Millions of religious adherents today still don't get it.  They believe that they can only be born again by water baptism.  Water was used figuratively and it means that we can only be born again by faith in the Word of God1Peter.1:23; Ephesians 5:26; James 1:18.  The Holy Spirit then adopts us into the kingdom of God Romans 8:14-16;Galatians 4:5;Ephesians 1:5.  It is only after this that we can be led by the Spirit of God into all Truth Romans 8:14-17

Remember, the emphasis is on faith in the Word of God as in John 1:29   
29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

Romans 10:9-13

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

So if you trust Jesus as your Lord and Saviour as you would trust a parachute and repent from all known sin and fully turn to Jesus you will be transformed from the natural man to a spiritual man and then experience the mercy of God.
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:35pm On Apr 04, 2008
If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?

Jesus had to use earthly natural things to explain the supernatural, Nicodemus still did't get the gist. Hence my attempt to use natural things to explain the trinity to the natural carnal mind.
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:49pm On Apr 04, 2008
" Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:"

Another illustration that I can use to explain the Divine Trinity is the crown of God's creation;  The Homo Sapien, Human being created in the image of God as a Tri-partite being consisting of a spirit, a soul and a body

Genesis 2:7

"And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

The Lord moulded man from the dust and made a body which consist of Iron, sugar, salt, carbon, iodine, phoshorus, lime, calcium etc; 263 bones, 600 muscles, 970 miles of blood vessels, 400 cups on the tongue for taste, 20,000 hairs in the ears to tune in to all sounds, 40lbs jaw pressure, 10million nerves and branches, 3,500 sweat tubes to each square inch of the skin, 600 million air cells to the lungs that inhale 2,400 galons of air daily, a telephone system that relates to the brain instantly any known sound, sight, smell taste or touch; The heart beats 4,200 times an hour and pumps 12 tonnes of blood everyday, how about the information in the D.N.A. Scientists have discovered that the human body contains almost all the elements in the soil. 

God then breathed His intercontinental ballistic dynamos into the body, so the combination of the spirit from God and the body produced a[b] soul[/b] thus, the image of God.

Our spirits come from God(spiritual) our bodies are formed from earth (natural) our souls are formed with the coming together of spirit and body which then makes us free moral agents or having free volition, we have the freedom to choose life or death.

Since our spirits come from God they are eternal in nature.  After death the body returns to the grave while our spirit and soul goes to either of two destinations; in the presence of God in heaven or eternally separated from God in hell fire. The decisions we make with our free volition now determines where we would spend our eternity.  My advise is that you choose what God has chosen for you, He has chosen life for you and this life is in Jesus Christ the only begotten of the Father, if you receive Jesus (The last Adam- spiritual and heavenly) you will become a new creature- heaven bound and rapturable.  2Cor.5:17;John 1:12.

Thessalonians 5:23

"And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by samba123(m): 10:57am On Apr 06, 2008
Can I know the name of your so-called holy spirit?
And the name of the Holy Ghost? Is their a specific name for that?
kindly put your fact if the names appear in the Ot or Nt.?
Re: How Best Can You Describe The Holy Trinity/Godhead by MCUsman(m): 11:54am On Apr 06, 2008
@ OLAADEGBU

While Christianity may have a problem defining the essence of God, such is not the case in Islam.

Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord." (Deuteronomy 6:4)
It was repeated word-for-word approximately 1500 years later by Jesus when he said: ", The first of all the commandments is,
Hear, O Israel; the Lord our God is one Lord." (Mark 12:29)

«"Muhammad came along approximately 600 years later, bringing the same message again:
"And your God is One God: There is no God but He, , "» (The Qur'an 2:163)«
"They do blaspheme who say: All'ah is one of three in a Trinity, for there is no god except One God."» (Q'ur'an 5:73

Christianity has digressed from the concept of the Oneness of God, into a vague and mysterious doctrine that was formulated during the fourth century.

Let's put this together in a different form:
one person, God the Father +
one person, God the Son +
one person, God the Holy Ghost = one person,

God the What? Is this English or is this gibberish?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Were Ancient Egyptians Fair Or Dark Skinned? / Thank God! Finally I Don Port! From Atheism To Jesus! Update* Conversion Story. / Lake Of Fire And Hell, What Are The Difference, Or Are They Thesame??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 188
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.