Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,231 members, 7,815,304 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill (22732 Views)

Public Finance Bill: 10 Things You Should Know About It / Buhari Signs 2019 Finance Bill Into Law, VAT Now 7.5% / How To Check Your Individual TIN (tax Identification Nos) Online Using BVN/NIN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by Evercurious(f): 10:27am On Dec 09, 2021
joey150:

Please stop being stupid. You're too far gone already.

Tell that to yourself... FOOLISHNESS personified .. Do you work at all? I m so sure you didnt consider double taxation as of workers are nt taxed before being paid
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by abbeyfel: 10:28am On Dec 09, 2021
FarahAideed:

So you are going to tax any transactions that occurs on a bank account? cheesy... All Buahrist truly have low IQ like the bUhari
Are they not already taxing every transactions?

1 Like

Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by Ovamboland(m): 10:29am On Dec 09, 2021
Easy5265:

Has this government created an environment for business to thrive, that's asides the terrorists in business. They tax our deposits, also tax our withdrawals.

Business is not thriving in Nigeria but we have GDP of $465bn and revenue of $25bn

Business is thriving in South Africa but their GDP is $390bn and revenue is $130bn
Business is thriving in Egypt but their GDP is $320bn and revenue is $90bn
Even tiny Ghana has GDP of $68bn and revenue is $14bn more than half of Nigeria.

Many will be too dull to understand the ramifications of these stats, we will keep going in cycles while others will achieve more every year

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by Amhappy(f): 10:31am On Dec 09, 2021
philip0906:

Which Nigerians don’t pay tax? This is a myth that has been debunked several times. We already pay VAT, companies and businesses already pay tax, salary earners already pay income tax, small businesses even those by the roadside already pay taxes in form of levies to local governments where they are setup.

The cost of Oil production in Nigeria is among the highest in the world due to the cost of running business here including multiple taxation.
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by joey150(m): 10:31am On Dec 09, 2021
philip0906:

This is simply because this GREATER NUMBER are impoverished and unemployed. We're the poverty capital of the world for a reason.

What you're saying is simply semantics because tax is simply fee imposed by government, to fund government spending. Whatever the name is called, it's simply TAX.

That is NOT on the citizens. If I pay levy to local government officials to sell my akara by the road side and that money is used to fund the aesthetic lifestyle of MC Oluomo or ends up in Tinubu's pocket, it's not on me. The government should be the ones talking of revenue assurance by cleaning their processes up or using automation.

1. Tax is Tax. They obviously all serve the same puprose. My point being that there are different forms and kind of taxes.
So, just because a business man pays VAT and not income tax, doesn't mean he's a part of the taxable population. He still doesn't pay income tax. That being said, a bulk of Nigeria's "informal" sector still don't pay tax.

2. As long as we don't industrialise and get more of our population employed so we can tax them, we'll be stuck in this rut. Again, emphasises my point. If most people are underemployed and poor, and by extension, pay no taxes, they have no direct connection with the government. Basically, they don't contribute in anyway, and are thus generally unbothered about governance.

3. You don't pay 'taxes' to sell Akara. You pay taxes on your income from selling Akara. I have no idea what the levies those people are asked to pay. Regardless, it's not a form of "tax". At least, none that is legally recognised.

The summary being that our taxation system is riddled with corruption and very inefficient.

Any country that depends solely on a natural resource like we do, will always suffer from Dutch disease.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by Easy5265: 10:31am On Dec 09, 2021
Evercurious:

I pity your brain

I do too sometimes. The varying thoughts and permutations that goes on in there. It's not easy. Sad all yours is programmed to do is to open your legs.
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by abbeyfel: 10:33am On Dec 09, 2021
joey150:

Don't you get it?
If more people paid taxes we would have more participation of the populace in government.

Most people don't care because they don't pay tax. If people cared enough Nigeria would be sane.
You are getting it wrong here. People pay taxes from prosperity. Where is the prosperity to tax from? And how do you mean people will participate more? By taking elective offices or protesting? I guess you are an ideaologist and not a naturalist. Na idea you get, but you can't really make it work if given the opportunity!

1 Like

Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by Evercurious(f): 10:34am On Dec 09, 2021
Easy5265:

I do too sometimes. The varying thoughts and permutations that goes on in there. It's not easy. Sad all yours is programmed to do is to open your legs.

Lol..what else can you say since you know all the females in your family including your mother are all used for sex and intimacy gadgets ... DOPEMU...

CERTIFIED DUNDY
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by joey150(m): 10:35am On Dec 09, 2021
Evercurious:

Tell that to yourself... FOOLISHNESS personified .. Do you work at all? I m so sure you didnt consider double taxation as of workers are nt taxed before being paid

Stop being stupid. About 20% of my income is deducted as tax.

Salary earners are taxed by their employers. Does that mean that they still don't have to pay VAT or other forms of applicable taxes?

Are you being double taxed? If yes, how? Do explain and this time do it intelligently.
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by Blackdisciple(m): 10:35am On Dec 09, 2021
That number , this number , other number still people's money are being stolen on daily basis without a trace, no security to our money in the bank, Boko Haram/ Fulani marauders are still using simcard to contact their victims guardians for ransom without a trace .

So why are u people disturbing the citizens with all these identity number of a thing?
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by abbeyfel: 10:36am On Dec 09, 2021
aspabay:
Anything to check money laundering, corruption and scams is welcomed
So how does this change anything? Because you just come and drop this comment here as if you've said something! Explain how this take fight corruption na?
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by Evercurious(f): 10:36am On Dec 09, 2021
joey150:

Stop being stupid. About 20% of my income is deducted as tax.

Salary earners are taxed by their employers. Does that mean that they still don't have to pay VAT or other forms of applicable taxes?

Are you being double taxed? If yes, how? Do explain and this time do it intelligently.

Oga go check your head
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by Easy5265: 10:39am On Dec 09, 2021
Ovamboland:

Business is not thriving in Nigeria but we have GDP of $465bn and revenue of $25bn

Business is thriving in South Africa but their GDP is $390bn and revenue is $130bn
Even tiny Ghana has GDP of $68bn and revenue is $14bn more than half of Nigeria.

Many will be too dull to understand the ramifications of these stats, we will keep going in cycles while others will achieve more every year

You don't throw figures without backing it up. Oil makes up a greater % of Nigeria's GDP. A larger % of the populace or unemployed, even those that are can't live on their wages. You still then want to tax them to death. What has the government done with the resources to now seek for more. No stable power supply, no good road, security is next to none, inflation is aiming for the moon. Nigeria is no longer moving in circle, it is retrogressing.
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by joey150(m): 10:40am On Dec 09, 2021
abbeyfel:
You are getting it wrong here. People pay taxes from prosperity. Where is the prosperity to tax from? And how do you mean people will participate more? By taking elective offices or protesting? I guess you are an ideaologist and not a naturalist. Na idea you get, but you can't really make it work if given the opportunity!

Why do okada men suddenly revolt when their local transport union increase their daily levy from say 200 to 500 one morning?

People care deeply about money that directly enters their pocket. It's the same everywhere from the time of Jesus till now.

I agree with you. We need to have an employed and productive population to tax them. But even at that, a significant amount of Nigerians, especially those that aren't salary earners still don't pay taxes. And many think it's wrong to tax them.

We've been running this country mainly on proceeds from oil, and look how far it got us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by joey150(m): 10:41am On Dec 09, 2021
Evercurious:

Oga go check your head

I give you a chance to impress and yet you unsuprisingly disappoint yourself.

All these noise and insults on top your empty brain.

You need help ma.
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by abbeyfel: 10:41am On Dec 09, 2021
joey150:

Most Nigerians still don't pay tax.

That's why when someone steals 50 billion nobody cares but once you add 50 naira to fuel everybody comes out to protest.
You obviously don't understand. Nigerians are one of the people that pay tax the most in the world! Just check how many VAT Nigerians are paying before you say all these you are saying. Most workers in Nigeria pay tax because it is deducted even before they get paid. Any banking transactions now is taxed wether you like it or not. Deposit money, they will tax you. Withdraw money, they will tax you. If we don't care that they steal our money, then why are we always crying foul?
Or do you expect us to start stoning the politicians when they are passing with their always very strong security details? So what exactly are you saying?

2 Likes

Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by CSTRR: 10:44am On Dec 09, 2021
Ovamboland:

It will be a different ball game when it is the money taken from your pocket that is been stolen, not money coming from under the ground in some faraway region
Many people pay tax in Nigeria.

I pay serious tax.
So what has changed?

Will more taxes make your leaders more responsible?

Are you telling me I can tell buhari to stop wasting my current taxes on foreign travels?.

What are you on about?

Are you living in an Utopia?

1 Like

Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by Evercurious(f): 10:44am On Dec 09, 2021
joey150:

I give you a chance to impress and yet you unsuprisingly disappoint yourself.

All these noise and insults on top your empty brain.

You need help ma.

I dont need to impress you .. you simply need to have your head checked
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by Easy5265: 10:45am On Dec 09, 2021
Evercurious:

Lol..what else can you say since you know all the females in your family including your mother are all used for sex and intimacy gadgets ... DOPEMU...

CERTIFIED DUNDY

I don't know we're it is you lost it. The development of your cerebral capacity really got stunted way worse than I thought. You are stuck in your primordial mode of reasoning, others have chosen to develop thiers.
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by joey150(m): 10:46am On Dec 09, 2021
abbeyfel:
You obviously don't understand. Nigerians are one of the people that pay tax the most in the world! Just check how many VAT Nigerians are paying before you say all these you are saying. Most workers in Nigeria pay tax because it is deducted even before they get paid. Any banking transactions now is taxed wether you like it or not. Deposit money, they will tax you. Withdraw money, they will tax you. [b]So what exactly are you saying?[/]

VAT is paid globally. Is it only Nigerians that pay VAT?

Taxes are normal. Every person earning an income should normally pay tax.

The problem is that our tax system is very inefficient and most people end up not paying taxes at all.

Yes, the government is trying to be clever by half by taxing us for making deposits in banks. But that's because they've been unable to properly tax most of the working population.

My point is, taxes are not a bad thing. It's fundamental for running a sane society.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by Evercurious(f): 10:48am On Dec 09, 2021
Easy5265:

I don't know we're it is you lost it. The development of your cerebral capacity really got stunted way worse than I thought. You are stuck in your primordial mode of reasoning, others have chosen to develop thiers.

Lol... so you re so pained... You never start... Hope you know you simply wrote those trash about yourself.. Abeg go wash face
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by philip0906(m): 10:54am On Dec 09, 2021
joey150:

1. Tax is Tax. They obviously all serve the same puprose. My point being that there are different forms and kind of taxes.
So, just because a business man pays VAT and not income tax, doesn't mean he's a part of the taxable population. He still doesn't pay income tax. That being said, a bulk of Nigeria's "informal" sector still don't pay tax.
You're confusing yourself with all the semantics. I live in an almost 3rd world country where I already pay money equivalent to my income to government...Whatever grammar/label economic experts (you included) decide to append to that payment, is their plate of watery beans. This is simply TAX.

2. As long as we don't industrialise and get more of our population employed so we can tax them, we'll be stuck in this rut. Again, emphasises my point. If most people are underemployed and poor, and by extension, pay no taxes, they have no direct connection with the government. Basically, they don't contribute in anyway, and are thus generally unbothered about governance.
I agree. The focus should then be on the government ensuring productivity and industralisation.

3. You don't pay 'taxes' to sell Akara. You pay taxes on your income from selling Akara. I have no idea what the levies those people are asked to pay. Regardless, it's not a form of "tax". At least, none that is legally recognised.
You're still confusing yourself. If government decides to appoint NURTW to collect taxes from Nigerians, does it make it any less of taxation? You're stuck in all the semantics. Any monies that individuals pay on their income using whatever principle, is simply TAX. The tricycle rider, pays a fraction of his income to the NURTW daily. The akara seller, pays a fraction of her income selling akara to the Local council daily/weekly. Any grammar or way Joey wants to twist this fact, that I'm taxed already, is your business.

The NURTW, Local Council who collect these levies, are all part of the government.

The summary being that our taxation system is riddled with corruption and very inefficient.

This should be your argument not argue the definition of taxes. Where does the NURTW fee levied on okada riders/tricycle riders go to? Where does the weekly levy paid by the akara seller to the local council go to?

I don't need to be an economics major to know that simple automation/process improvement by the tax bodies on those monies paid by the tricycle rider/akara seller is collected at a central/accountable point. But No, let us leave Mc Oluomo to continue to use okada/marwa riders money to fund the luxurious lifestyle of his concubines and turn around to scream that Nigerians don't pay tax. Nonsense!!
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by PetroDolla2020: 10:55am On Dec 09, 2021
"Tiny" Ghana? How "tiny" is Ghana? Like an ant?

Ovamboland:

Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by lexy2014: 10:59am On Dec 09, 2021
joey150:

I'm not going to answer specifics about the Nigeria tax system. You have the FIRS and state councils for that.

I've just basically explained how VAT, council tax and income tax are different forms of taxes.

To simplify things:

Vat = tax placed on consumer goods.

Local council tax = Tax often placed on properties/residents in a particular precinct or local area.

Income tax = Tax placed on the income you make.

If u aren't going to go into d specifics, how then did u arrive at ur responses? Did u consult d firs and state councils before u arrived at your conclusions about who is paying tax and who isn't?
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by abbeyfel: 11:01am On Dec 09, 2021
joey150:

Why do okada men suddenly revolt when their local transport union increase their daily levy from say 200 to 500 one morning?

People care deeply about money that directly enters their pocket. It's the same everywhere from the time of Jesus till now.

I agree with you. We need to have an employed and productive population to tax them. But even at that, a significant amount of Nigerians, especially those that aren't salary earners still don't pay taxes. And many think it's wrong to tax them.

We've been running this country mainly on proceeds from oil, and look how far it got us.

You are still getting it wrong. Paying taxes does not literally mean a better life. What guarantees a good life for the people is good governance! Do we have that in place at the moment? Point is, how is attacking from the bank account angle an even sensible thing to do Is that where their brain lead them. As in go through bank accounts like everyone with bank accounts are taxable. Mumu thing..
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by lexy2014: 11:02am On Dec 09, 2021
joey150:

Sigh. Okay.

1. By participation, I mean the people holding their government accountable.

2. When people pay tax or are correctly taxed, they tend to be more concerned about what their tax money is used for.

Everyone in Nigeria pays taxes. So your theory that paying taxes is directly related to political participation and holding govt accountable doesn't have any basis
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by abbeyfel: 11:02am On Dec 09, 2021
lexy2014:

If u aren't going to go into d specifics, how then did u arrive at ur responses? Did u consult d firs and state councils before u arrived at your conclusions about who is paying tax and who isn't?
What are you dragging actually? Can't you read between the lines?

1 Like

Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by abbeyfel: 11:04am On Dec 09, 2021
joey150:

VAT is paid globally. Is it only Nigerians that pay VAT?

Taxes are normal. Every person earning an income should normally pay tax.

The problem is that our tax system is very inefficient and most people end up not paying taxes at all.

Yes, the government is trying to be clever by half by taxing us for making deposits in banks. But that's because they've been unable to properly tax most of the working population.

My point is, taxes are not a bad thing. It's fundamental for running a sane society.
Can you please state where I said taxation is bad? Did you read to understand my point at all?
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by lexy2014: 11:04am On Dec 09, 2021
abbeyfel:
What are you dragging actually? Can't you read between the lines?

What are u yourself dragging?
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by Mrquote: 11:08am On Dec 09, 2021
abbeyfel:
Policemen are humans. When you deal with them right, everything will go well. Make sure you are at an advantaged position. Well you can't learn that. It's a default thing.
Which part of the country donyou reside because you can never be right with the once over here
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by drololaaof: 11:09am On Dec 09, 2021
Nigeria with their useless draconian laws and circulars . How many Nigerians can get this TIN with ease ,I have not got it . It was BVN ,followed
by SIM card registration then NIN now TIN When will you free us from this palaver . The noise about NIN is going down because what they envisaged from it they did not get. Their 200 million population figure is not realistic, this one now will put us at the mercy of the tax officials
Re: No Tax Identification Number (TIN), No Bank Account - Finance Bill by Godbless3(m): 11:22am On Dec 09, 2021
We're doom... They didn't tell the bank to request for appointment letter as a criteria.

Thank goodness those that vote this idiot also into this mess.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

El-Rufai Files Fresh Suit Against Malami And Emefiele / Gov. Okorocha Receives Obasanjo As He Lands In Imo 4 Imo Day Of Thanksgiving(Pix / It Is Illogical For PDP To Reject Results - Keyamo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.