Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,664 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics (32214 Views)

Tinubu Actually Reduced The Price Of School Fee For Unity Schools. / Can I Do Computer Science Without Having Done Chemistry In My Waec And Neco / Price Of 2019 JAMB UTME Form And Registration Updates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Civilengine(m): 5:43pm On Dec 18, 2021
FanOfMyself:

I decided to reply you because you sounded a bit civil in your criticism unlike the other critics.
Let me start with the very beginning of my journey to become a professional software developer. I was an undergraduate degree student in the only federal university of technology in the entire South East and I was in my second year (2013). I approached one of my fellow student in the same department like mine (computer science) and I told him that I wanted to learn web development because he has earlier informed us that he has the skills and will teach any one who's interested for a fee, I enrolled and he taught me the very basic s of html, css, and javascript. But it was very clear that I can't even get a job with what I have learnt from this course mate of mine. But it was a very good eye opener and I started learning on my own via YouTube and W3C. Fast forward to 2016 when I finished and went for nysc, I realized that despite all the learning I have done, I am not yet confident enough to start applying for jobs because I know that I am still missing some vital knowledge and skills set. The thing with learning on YouTube is that it might not give you the "streamlined" and "all in one" course that will fast track your growth in web development. If you are already experienced, then you can easily search for a particular topic/feature in a programming language on YouTube and you will be fine. But if you are a novice, you "can" easily be overwhelmed learning on YouTube. Remember some YouTubers are only after the views and not about "teaching" you the subject matter. This is why I resorted to buying courses online from platforms like Udemy, LinkedIn learning and from individual websites like codewithmosh.com, Vue Mastery etc.
These courses helped me get my first job because
(1.) The creators where detailed enough in the subject matter that I had a firm understanding on these topicals after taking the courses. I'm talking about 30 hours video courses with tons of real life projects.
(2.) The courses were directional and streamlined focusing on ALL I needed to know.
(3.) This might not be a strong point, but the project I used to wow my first employer was built with while I was taking a full stack web development from udemy, in fact, it was the instructors project, I just coded along.

Now to end this, let me inform you that some YouTubers also have their personal website where they sell courses and have people subscribe to on monthly basis or yearly basis. Now, do you think they will put the same contents on their paid courses on their free YouTube channels.

Lastly, what I am selling are the same courses I bought online but I was able to find a way to download it offline (I understand that it might be theft sha).
If you factor in the costs of downloading these courses and the costs of purchasing them, you will see that it is worth it.
I'm sorry for the long post.

Please here is my email address jamescephason@gmail.com. l'll like to have those videos.
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Hassanmaye(m): 5:48pm On Dec 18, 2021
revived2:
Alaye go focus on Udemy, YouTube sef dae

Or make you go one federal university

E go be
Can someone learn practical aspects of computer in university? That's the problem,

1 Like

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by FanOfMyself: 5:49pm On Dec 18, 2021
Civilengine:

Please here is my email address jamescephason@gmail.com. l'll like to have those videos.
I replied you already
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by yunqdady: 5:55pm On Dec 18, 2021
HenryDion:

Group member. Welcome cheesy
U and who

1 Like

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by bigjackass: 5:58pm On Dec 18, 2021
mofedamijo:

That is perfect.
what is your LinkedIn? I will like to look you up
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by bigjackass: 5:58pm On Dec 18, 2021
mofedamijo:

That is perfect.
mofedamijo:

That is perfect.
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by bigjackass: 6:00pm On Dec 18, 2021
mofedamijo:

That is perfect.
what's your LinkedIn? I will like to look you up.
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by LOVEGINO(m): 6:08pm On Dec 18, 2021
FahBuLous:
Help a brother abeg cry cry
ask youTube to help u oo.
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Fuyinge: 6:09pm On Dec 18, 2021
revived2:
Alaye go focus on Udemy, YouTube sef dae

Or make you go one federal university

E go be
For udemy you go still pay na, though not really expensive

1 Like

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Ghostmode2two(m): 6:16pm On Dec 18, 2021
l69l:
Yes
Thanks and I will give it a shot ASAP
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Stephen0mozzy: 6:30pm On Dec 18, 2021
mofedamijo:
All this Nigerian Developers with YouTube as learning centres... Lol

They will tell you they learnt programming in 6 months with YouTube.. And they are gurus now... Lol

You think YouTube learning vs someone who has a masters degree in Computer science, and started with a two years programming course/Certification are on the same level?

You can start with YouTube, but make sure you get certifications, and be good at your niche.

I am a Senior Recruiter based out of Nigeria, and all my U.S clients require a minimum of Bachelors Degree in Computer science for entry level positions.

Most Indians and Asian I have hired in the U.S have a Masters degree in computer science, that is one of the edges they have over YouTube developers.

There is no way I will hire someone who learnt through YouTube alone, over someone with Bachelors degree, two years programming certification at a reputable institution. No way.

Sir, would you say UI/UX is a good path? Also how readily available are recruitment for this skill set please.

I'm considering venturing into the field by next month
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by mofedamijo(m): 6:56pm On Dec 18, 2021
Stephen0mozzy:

Sir, would you say UI/UX is a good path? Also how readily available are recruitment for this skill set please.

I'm considering venturing into the field by next month

Excellent path.... Please ride on.

It was ranked the top 5 skills by LinkedIn in 2020. The core concentrations to focus more on are UX designer, UX researcher, and UX strategist.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by justmondris: 7:08pm On Dec 18, 2021
All you need is an internet and a 10$ to buy any course on Udemy. Discipline yourself to always teach yourself what you want and avoid being scammed.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Stephen0mozzy: 7:45pm On Dec 18, 2021
mofedamijo:

Excellent path.... Please ride on.

It was ranked the top 5 skills by LinkedIn in 2020. The core concentrations to focus more on are UX designer, UX researcher, and UX strategist.

Thanks so much for your response Sir

1 Like

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Nobody: 8:19pm On Dec 18, 2021
zeestone99:

What language did you use for Android?
Java and Kotlin, my friends who are mobile devs use Flutter since its cross-platform.
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Nobody: 8:26pm On Dec 18, 2021
AmokwuJS:

What technique did you use?

Watched youtube, lynda and udemy videos, built basic projects and kept on learning. I also read books. At a point i became more interested in hardware development and ported to C. I then got books on mathematics and computer science like automata theory, abstract algebra, compiler construction and co.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Ifesinachi22(m): 8:31pm On Dec 18, 2021
FahBuLous:
Thank you very much...

HenryDion , See?? The world doesn't resolve around you, someone gave me a site to get the eBook without insulting me...

You are most welcome
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Nobody: 8:45pm On Dec 18, 2021
mofedamijo:

Lol..... I hire at least 20 - 30 candidates every month. I can share my LinkedIn and ATS with you to see my job posting and hiring.

Those people you mentioned are based in Nigeria, Iam saying, nobody wants to hire a U.S based programmer without a B.sc. By the way, the millions you think they are earning is peanuts to those I hire with Masters degree. Take my word for it.

I am not here to argue, I am stating facts. I belong to several U.S based recruiters groups and forums, nobody is looking for a Developer without a degree in the U.S.

I keep laughing when people say the word is changing and degree's are no longer needed. I can bet on it.

Oga shutup abeg. Am a university dropout and i cannot remember how many jobs, including working for yahoo boys with multimillion salaries, i have turned down.
In the programming world, as long as you solve your employer's/clients problems, degrees are irrelevant. No dey yarn dust for here.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by silverkings: 8:54pm On Dec 18, 2021
itoldu:

You can check traversy media
thanks
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 18, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:

grin grin grin
Who is the illiterate now?
Is higher education the same thing as high school?
LMAO. The arrogant ones are always the ignorant ones.

I've said it before. Many of this HR guys or recruiters aren't half as qualified as the people they interview.

Dumbass illiterate
I jus dey laugh am, big companies like wordpress and google are waiving degree requirements in lieu of practical experience and a so called senior recruiter is sounding like someone from the stone age.
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Xolander: 9:03pm On Dec 18, 2021
Joelobioha:
What do they even teach.no be Microsoft word and excel..something I fit buy course for udemy of 4k
Go buy am now, make you take am get job for Google.

justmondris:
All you need is an internet and a 10$ to buy any course on Udemy. Discipline yourself to always teach yourself what you want and avoid being scammed.
You think discipline is the only thing factor for successful learning? Kontunu.
Sirwallace:
Embrace the democratization of schools and learning platforms.
Go to youtube, Udemy, Course Era, Udacity etc and self thought yourself.
Self discipline and motivation is all you need
That's if he doesn't burn out real quick.
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Joelobioha(m): 9:04pm On Dec 18, 2021
Xolander:

Go buy am now, make you take am get job for Google.

You think discipline is the only thing factor for successful learning? Kontunu.

That's if he doesn't burn out real quick.
look at you
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by mofedamijo(m): 9:08pm On Dec 18, 2021
GrantIkenna:

Oga shutup abeg. Am a university dropout and i cannot remember how many jobs, including working for yahoo boys with multimillion salaries, i have turned down.
In the programming world, as long as you solve your employer's/clients problems, degrees are irrelevant. No dey yarn dust for here.

Yahoo boys, I stopped reading when I saw yahoo boys. Stick to your delusion bro...... Lol. GTFO.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by goldmatrix(m): 9:16pm On Dec 18, 2021
Thermodynamics:
Nor mind them, yeye people, na so Nigeria things de be, they like taking advantage of people at the smallest opportunity. At the end them go put you for AC class, then one mr Ademola go wear suit come de recite all wetin he don learn for YouTube and Udemy.
grin
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Nobody: 9:25pm On Dec 18, 2021
mofedamijo:

Yahoo boys, I stopped reading when I saw yahoo boys. Stick to your delusion bro...... Lol. GTFO.

2 million base salary plus a percentage on every successful scam, you just have to write tools and man their IT post, and to you thats delusion? Is like you're sick in the head.
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by mofedamijo(m): 9:39pm On Dec 18, 2021
GrantIkenna:

2 million base salary plus a percentage on every successful scam, you just have to write tools and man their IT post, and to you thats delusion? Is like you're sick in the head.

I don't discuss or converse with scammers and their workers....... I am way above that. And as for your 2 million..... Enjoy it. I don't live in Nigeria, so that 2 mil whatever is not enticing or meaningful to me.

You are even boosting of working for thieves and been a part of the evil syndicate.... Shame on this sick headed idiot that you are.

You are the major reason why genuine freelancers in your country can't get a job remotely. Shame on your ignorance.

Goodbye mr scammer.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Nobody: 9:56pm On Dec 18, 2021
mofedamijo:

I don't discuss or converse with scammers and their workers....... I am way above that. And as for your 2 million..... Enjoy it. I don't live in Nigeria, so that 2 mil whatever is not enticing or meaningful to me.

You are even boosting of working for thieves and been a part of the evil syndicate.... Shame on this sick headed idiot that you are.

You are the major reason why genuine freelancers in your country can't get a job remotely. Shame on your ignorance.

Goodbye mr scammer.
Am trying to give you a glimpse of juicy offers i have turned down, even though i have no degree. I feel pity for the firms that employ your services, you lack foresight and thats why you cannot tell diamonds and stones apart. Your style of reasoning is obsolete in tech hiring. Go to weworkremotely.com and get educated bro.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by mofedamijo(m): 10:17pm On Dec 18, 2021
GrantIkenna:

Am trying to give you a glimpse of juicy offers i have turned down, even though i have no degree. I feel pity for the firms that employ your services, you lack foresight and thats why you cannot tell diamonds and stones apart. Your style of reasoning is obsolete in tech hiring. Go to weworkremotely.com and get educated bro.

I pity you for even coming to my face to discuss about how much scammers are offering your dead beat brain.....

You clearly did not understand my post, unfortunately, I can only explain it to you, I can't help you understand it.

I have hired some of the best brains in the U.S, some of them are presently working with fortune 500 companies. By the way, my clients are more than satisfied with my job, I just turned down over 12 contracts due to having more than enough projects right now.

Goodbye.....
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Xolander: 10:20pm On Dec 18, 2021
GrantIkenna:

What's the shut up about? This is a forum for public opinion, simply state your own side of the story. Use your dropout status to become a VP or CTO of a tech company on the Fortune 500 list.

Go to IBM and become a Senior Data Analyst as a dropout. Go into an Interview with a first class graduate in Software Engineering or Computer science and see who the recruiter will pick.

We are talking Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix and Google, you're talking yahoo boys? Who gives a flying fowl about your multimillion salary offer?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by mofedamijo(m): 10:25pm On Dec 18, 2021
Xolander:

What's the shut up about? This is a forum for public opinion, simply state your own side of the story. Use your dropout status to become a VP or CTO of a tech company on the Fortune 500 list.

Go to IBM and become a Senior Data Analyst as a dropout. Go to an Interview with a first class graduate in Software Engineering or Computer science and see who the recruiter will pick.

We are talking Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix and Google, you're talking yahoo boys? Who gives a flying fowl about your multimillion salary offer?

Omg.... I didn't know we have brains like you on this forum. Just imagine the horrible and complicated e-diots I have been talking to all day.

My point to their blocked brains is this. A degree gives an edge. If I have three candidates, with same knowledge and experience, I am most likely to go with the one with a degree.

Also, if for example, a reputable company gives me a requirement to get candidates with a Bachelors degree, am I supposed to send them candidates without a degree
? If I do that, then I am tagged unqualified, therefore I am likely to lose that contract.

Thank you for your wealth of experience jara.... Many E-diots on this forum. The present C.E.O of Google has an MBA.
The present C.E.O of Amazon has a Bachelors degree from Havard, and MBA from Havard.

But this dropout is talking gibberish....

1 Like

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by GoodBoi1(m): 10:42pm On Dec 18, 2021
Degree argument still going on. Lol. A simple Google search will answer whether or not a degree is necessary for this field in today's world. I am a pro in this field so I know it is not required. A bachelor's Degree is just to open doors. I trained/mentored someone, no degree, he has a tech job today. Not everyone has the privilege of getting a degree if they want to but in this field, it is not really necessary in order to get a job.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/apple-google-hire-jobs-without-degree-experts-say-college-important-2020-10%3famp

To be honest, making it mandatory to have a degree to work in IT is archaic. Self-education is powerful today.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

10 Mistakes That Can Cost You First Class Degree / No BVN, No Payment Of Withheld Salary - FG Replies ASUU / Which Is The Most Used English Word On Nairaland For 2017?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.