Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,252 members, 7,829,484 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:52 AM

Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics (32246 Views)

Tinubu Actually Reduced The Price Of School Fee For Unity Schools. / Can I Do Computer Science Without Having Done Chemistry In My Waec And Neco / Price Of 2019 JAMB UTME Form And Registration Updates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Xolander: 10:44pm On Dec 18, 2021
mofedamijo:

Omg.... I didn't know we have brains like you on this forum. Just imagine the horrible and complicated e-diots I have been talking to all day.

My point to their blocked brains is this. A degree gives an edge. If I have three candidates, with same knowledge and experience, I am most likely to go with the one with a degree.

Also, if for example, a reputable company gives me a requirement to get candidates with a Bachelors degree, am I supposed to send them candidates without a degree
? If I do that, then I am tagged unqualified, therefore I am likely to lose that contract.

Thank you for your wealth of experience jara.... Many E-diots on this forum. [/b]
The present C.E.O of Google has an MBA.
The present C.E.O of Amazon has a Bachelors degree from Havard, and MBA from Havard.
[b]
But this dropout is talking gibberish....

This army of delusionaries must be stopped from corrupting young minds, they come on Nairaland in the middle of a mid-life crisis to tell a 19 year old to learn "programming" from YouTube instead of getting a a degree in Computer science or Engineering.

If you want to be a real programmer, get a degree in any of:

- Computer Science
- Computer Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Mathematics
- Information Technology
- Information Systems etc

It is highly recommended to get a relevant IT degree and consolidate your knowledge by learning more on YouTube and other MOOCs than to have an irrelevant degree and do the same.

TLDR: Whatever you do, get a degree while you can, it's better to have a degree and not need it than to need a degree and not have it, do not be deceived.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by mofedamijo(m): 10:52pm On Dec 18, 2021
Xolander:

This army of delusionaries must be stopped from corrupting young minds, they come on Nairaland in the middle of a mid-life crisis to tell a 19 year old to learn "programming" from YouTube instead of getting a a degree in Computer science or Engineering.

- Computer Science
- Computer Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Mathematics
- Information Technology

It is highly recommended to get a relevant IT degree and consolidate your knowledge by learning more on YouTube and other MOOCs than to have an irrelevant degree and do the same.

TLDR: Whatever you do, get a degree while you can, it's better to have a degree and not need it than to need a degree and not have it, do not be deceived.

You have said it all, and this is the best advise for anyone going into the I.T field.... They have never left Nigeria, they have never being in any meeting where candidate choice are deliberated, they have never been to any recruiter fairs, forums or groups, they have never being in any meetings with VP of Tech or CTO to discuss candidate choice and requirements, but they wabt to tell US what the requirements are.

Most companies in the U.S requires a Bachelors degree for I.T roles, even the entry level roles, that is the requirement, I cannot change that. But they think they have more statistics than I do..... Bunch of illiterates.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by GoodBoi1(m): 11:04pm On Dec 18, 2021
Can we just leave IT topics for the IT professionals to answer? I see a lot of rubbish answers whenever an IT topic makes frontpage. People who have never provided any IT solution or service will be talking like they know it all. From their answers you can tell they know next to nothing and going round correcting them is tiresome

1 Like

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Techguy96(m): 11:33pm On Dec 18, 2021
mofedamijo:

Your qualification matters, I am a Senior recuiter with several clients around the world. Qualifications are essential in salary negotiations, very important aspect of it. Yes, years of experience is important, but a masters degree with 3 years experience, and a 4 years experience with no degree, trust me, the salary of the masters degree candidate will be higher. Do you realise that in the U.S,your degree involves practical experience and Intern which serves as experience?

You are not really getting the point, alot of Nigerians going into tech now already have a degree or at least an hnd but not related to CS.
Let's say someone has a degree in economics or chemical engineering, and such person decided to enter the tech industry let's say as a web or app developer , do u advice such person to go back to school to learn study Cs or learn from online resources available.

I personally know someone earning 6 figure working for a tech company in Lagos as a frontend developer, the dude studied electrical electronics engineering not CS. Even after studying CS in school, one still need these online resources to sharpen his/her skills because I don't think anyone will teach u react or nodejs in school.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Techguy96(m): 11:43pm On Dec 18, 2021
Xolander:

- Computer Science
- Computer Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Mathematics
- Information Technology

No one is telling a 19 yr old not to get a degree, the main issue here is for people with degree not related to the tech industry but want to branch into the tech industry. You think because one is learning to code from YouTube then that person must not have a degree.
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by mofedamijo(m): 11:46pm On Dec 18, 2021
Techguy96:

You are not really getting the point, alot of Nigerians going into tech now already have a degree or at least an hnd but not related to CS.
Let's say someone has a degree in economics or chemical engineering, and such person decided to enter the tech industry let's say as a web or app developer , do u advice such person to go back to school to learn study Cs or learn from online resources available.

I personally know someone earning 6 figure working for a tech company in Lagos as a frontend developer, the dude studied electrical electronics engineering not CS. Even after studying CS in school, one still need these online resources to sharpen his/her skills because I don't think anyone will teach u react or nodejs in school.

You must have mixed my point. What I am saying is have a Degree in related field. From the perspective of a hiring company, been able to achieve a degree signals the ability to listen to directions and commit to four years of work. It ia not just the degree, but the degree shows a lot about an individual. Moreover, people with college or post-baccalaureate degrees tend to earn much more than those without one.

"Even companies like Apple that have been vocal about non-traditional education are more likely to hire someone that has both a college degree and technical training, according to Michael Horowitz, president of TCS Education System.

By the way, don't say alot of Nigerians going into I.T already have a degree, no they don't, they only want to go in because of the money. Which is fine, but ask them what problem are they trying to solve, and you will hear them stammering......

I understand your point bro...... The I.T sector is fast becoming a full professional position like Nursing, and Medicine. Now, will you hire a Mathematics graduate for a Nursing position?

That is why you see so many Nigerians upon arriving in the U.S, they swtich from Geography to Nursing by quickly completing a CNA course to get Nursing certificates, some of them go back to school to start Nursing a fresh.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Techguy96(m): 11:53pm On Dec 18, 2021
mofedamijo:

You must have mixed my point. What I am saying is have a Degree in related field. From the perspective of a hiring company, been able to achieve a degree signals the ability to listen to directions and commit to four years of work. It ia not just the degree, but the degree shows a lot about an individual. Moreover, people with college or post-baccalaureate degrees tend to earn much more than those without one.

"Even companies like Apple that have been vocal about non-traditional education are more likely to hire someone that has both a college degree and technical training, according to Michael Horowitz, president of TCS Education System.

By the way, don't say alot of Nigerians going into I.T already have a degree, no they don't, they only want to go in because of the money. Which is fine, but ask them what problem are they trying to solve, and you will hear them stammering......

I understand your point bro...
Ok if u put it this way then u are right, and of course Nigerians are going into tech because they think it's the new oil

1 Like

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by mofedamijo(m): 11:57pm On Dec 18, 2021
Techguy96:

Ok if u put it this way then u are right, and of course Nigerians are going into tech because they think it's the new oil

You are right, its all about the new oil, that is why they believe they can be a pro in Tech within two months......

My prayer is to see Nigerians as Vice president of Tech, Chief Tech Officer, etc. But how will Nigerians get to the top if someone is telling them they don't need a degree. You can't get that high without a degree, never.

Ngozi Okono-Iweala, although not in the tech field, however, she wouldn't have attained that height without those degrees and certificates......

The current Vice President | Head of Google Cloud & DevOps have a Masters degree...... Nobody will give him that position without a degree.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Cousin9999: 12:44am On Dec 19, 2021
They're exploiting people's suffering, lack of knowledge, and determination.

You can download college textbooks used by some of the best universities in the world; free.

You can get tutorials, slides, videos, and courses; free.

You can access MOOCs from Harvard and MIT; free.

ETA: There's plenty of free software to use in your studies. There are also free coding websites and communities where you can practice through competitions, share knowledge, and get help when you're stuck on something. You can also contribute to large FOSS to build your resume.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Nobody: 6:09am On Dec 19, 2021
Xolander:

What's the shut up about? This is a forum for public opinion, simply state your own side of the story. Use your dropout status to become a VP or CTO of a tech company on the Fortune 500 list.

Go to IBM and become a Senior Data Analyst as a dropout. Go into an Interview with a first class graduate in Software Engineering or Computer science and see who the recruiter will pick.

We are talking Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix and Google, you're talking yahoo boys? Who gives a flying fowl about your multimillion salary offer?
The IT HR space is a buyers market, and if you know how much the companies you listed fight to lockdown their best programmers with perks, you will marvel. There's no point explaining the present reality to you when you have decided to live in the past.
Programmers with my skillset :Embedded systems, Kernel programming and others who do hardware stuff call the shots when it comes to employment.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Saskay44: 6:29am On Dec 19, 2021
Samiah33:

Sites like?
freetutorialsus.com
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Nobody: 6:32am On Dec 19, 2021
GoodBoi1:
Can we just leave IT topics for the IT professionals to answer? I see a lot of rubbish answers whenever an IT topic makes frontpage. People who have never provided any IT solution or service will be talking like they know it all. From their answers you can tell they know next to nothing and going round correcting them is tiresome

I have spent three years self studying and because i am not yet done with my training, i have to turn down employment offers from startups and established firms who try to lure me with money. Including the ones that tell me to notify them when i am ready. Na im pesin go dey yarn degree nonsense for my ear? I taya o.
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by zeestone99(m): 8:08am On Dec 19, 2021
GrantIkenna:

Java and Kotlin, my friends who are mobile devs use Flutter since its cross-platform.

Oh Kool. I use kotlin too

1 Like

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by frank155(m): 8:57am On Dec 19, 2021
GrantIkenna:
The truth be say, e no easy to teach programming. The prices are not justified, as i taught myself web, android and now embedded systems. But it wasnt easy, the difficult days i felt like quiting, wasted over 6months, before i discovered how to learn. If you have the patience, teach yourself.

Which resources did you use?
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by lordally(m): 9:39am On Dec 19, 2021
EbenezerTriumph:
you took this words out of my mouth.
I subscribed to YouTube night plan for one month and during that one month I used YouTube and became perfect on HTML CSS and JavaScript.. now I can call myself a web developer.
If I was to enroll in a school ehn them for don squeeze my pocket finish

So within 1 month you learn HTML , CSS and JavaScript... Hahahahahaha guy you learnt nothing bro!!! Believe me!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by hartson(m): 9:41am On Dec 19, 2021
hmm
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by lordally(m): 9:42am On Dec 19, 2021
GrantIkenna:
The truth be say, e no easy to teach programming. The prices are not justified, as i taught myself web, android and now embedded systems. But it wasnt easy, the difficult days i felt like quiting, wasted over 6months, before i discovered how to learn. If you have the patience, teach yourself.

How did you learn? Please kindly state it here so others can use your method for self learning... Make person wey dey say in learn all these in 1 month no mislead people abeg...
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Samiah33(m): 10:38am On Dec 19, 2021
Saskay44:
freetutorialsus.com
Thanks I am grateful
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by ModelLook(m): 11:38am On Dec 19, 2021
itoldu:
It's because you all are too lazy!

This would only get you angered because it is the truth. There are thousands of free learning materials all over the internet (YouTube, Coursera, udemy, khan academy) but your laziness tells you to give money to someone who is probably also still learning to teach you. There are people sharing links on Twitter to free courses but no, "I prefer to be taught".

Play into LinkedIn, connect with people, they would guide you as you are learning. Coconut heads. There is a reason why the indians are at the forefront in the tech space. They are learning voraciously and mostly with free stuff on the internet. Continue paying "Uncle J and sons" because the lazy mentality that tells you certificate from wherever you have paid would earn you a decent job.

Learn! Learn!! Learn!!! Discipline yourself and trust me, you'd be better off than "become a full stack dev in 3 months".

There is a way you would have written your post without sounding mean and harsh really.

Everyone is here to learn. Have an open mind.

You are right in your statement and can be right on certain issues but the way you present them could send a wrong signal of hate which is totally not your intention.

I hope you understand.

Have a blessed Sunday. I come in peace.
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Brogrammer(m): 1:20pm On Dec 19, 2021
noob03saibot:
bro! When I see am, fear catch me. I come dey think say I dey very dull, if person fit master am within one month.
I been they think same this programming path no be for me people too dey cap for this forum

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Uchedizzy(f): 1:56pm On Dec 19, 2021
FanOfMyself:

How exactly do you want me to help you?
pls i need an easy computer skills to learn, the one my brain can carry and can make money from it to
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Caleycash(m): 2:50pm On Dec 19, 2021
AdmobIncome04:
Kini Reason

In Other News

You could still have a Detty December to Remember with Admob

*We make real money from Admob*

With legit proof and steps to cash out

�*GOOGLE ADMOB YOUTH EMPOWERMENT*�

Make more then $200 every month day or even more
if you are committed to earn more money.
✅No certificate/ referral required,
✅No experience required,
✅No Age Limit
✅Doesn't obstruct Ur Office Work

⭐REQUIREMENTS⭐
✅Gmail account
✅Verifiable physical address
✅Earning app
✅Smartphone
✅Any of International Passport, Drivers license, National ID Card.
✅Data SIM.
✅Account number
✅Phone number.

Check sig for contact details and more informations...
Scammer alert... thunder go soon kill you!
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Nobody: 4:57pm On Dec 19, 2021
lordally:

How did you learn? Please kindly state it here so others can use your method for self learning... Make person wey dey say in learn all these in 1 month no mislead people abeg...
I wrote about it in a previous comment on the thread
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by FanOfMyself: 5:25pm On Dec 19, 2021
Uchedizzy:
pls i need an easy computer skills to learn, the one my brain can carry and can make money from it to
Maybe you could try content creation or software testing. I don't know how easy these ones are but I feel it's not as easy as software development. But the demand will surely not be as high as software developers.
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by IbrahimTharwa: 5:47pm On Dec 19, 2021
GrantIkenna:

The IT HR space is a buyers market, and if you know how much the companies you listed fight to lockdown their best programmers with perks, you will marvel. There's no point explaining the present reality to you when you have decided to live in the past.
Programmers with my skillset :Embedded systems, Kernel programming and others who do hardware stuff call the shots when it comes to employment.
Please sir, what's hardware programming? And how is it different from software programming?
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Uchedizzy(f): 7:44pm On Dec 19, 2021
FanOfMyself:

Maybe you could try content creation or software testing. I don't know how easy these ones are but I feel it's not as easy as software development. But the demand will surely not be as high as software developers.
ok, thanks alot
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Nobody: 8:57pm On Dec 19, 2021
IbrahimTharwa:
Please sir, what's hardware programming? And how is it different from software programming?
In app development you write business apps, eg accounting software and the likes.
In embedded systems, you write application software that interfaces with hardware eg using an app to control a TV.
You can learn how to write application software for desktop in C#, Swift, Rust.
Web apps in JavaScript, Python.
You can write decent Enterprise apps in 8 months if you have someone to guide you.
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by b5ive(m): 11:02pm On Dec 19, 2021
Newboss:

Say the one you know o. Networking is more of hardware than software. Networking is different from network programming.

No be only ethical hacking, cyber security join. Nonsense
spoken like a newie to the tech industry. Shalom.
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Newboss(m): 12:55am On Dec 20, 2021
b5ive:
spoken like a newie to the tech industry. Shalom.

Continue doing newie. No take correction. Something as simple as that you don't know yet you somehow feel arrogant. Yeye
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Hassanmaye(m): 7:22pm On Dec 20, 2021
mofedamijo:

Mr. Illiterate, I am not the cause of your frustration. I can explain it to you, but I can't help you understand it. No high school education, but are working as what in which company? Lol. To work in Chic Fill A, or at Walmart, you need high school cert. Here you are expecting a multinational company to employ someone without a high school cert. For a huge position. You must be a big dreamer. Go online and apply for a top position at Microsoft or IBM without a high school cert. Illiterate.what has inferiority complex has to do with facts and requirements

Get a life dulls
Hahahhahahaha
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by Unclefemolala(m): 8:07am On Dec 24, 2021
AdmobIncome04:
Kini Reason

In Other News

You could still have a Detty December to Remember with Admob

*We make real money from Admob*

With legit proof and steps to cash out

�*GOOGLE ADMOB YOUTH EMPOWERMENT*�

Make more then $200 every month day or even more
if you are committed to earn more money.
✅No certificate/ referral required,
✅No experience required,
✅No Age Limit
✅Doesn't obstruct Ur Office Work

⭐REQUIREMENTS⭐
✅Gmail account
✅Verifiable physical address
✅Earning app
✅Smartphone
✅Any of International Passport, Drivers license, National ID Card.
✅Data SIM.
✅Account number
✅Phone number.

Check sig for contact details and more informations...

Hello bro

You have failed to respond to me on WhatsApp anymore
Re: Why Do Computer Schools Inflate The Price Of Their Courses So Much - Pics by clockwisereport: 4:32pm On Dec 24, 2021
FahBuLous:
Where can I get an eBook??

B-ok.africa

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Sex For Grades . Share Your Experience!!! / Mothers Work Too — Adanma Ohakim Calls Out Son's Teacher Over Gender Role / Today's Mock Jamb Was Indeed A Mockery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.