Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,146 members, 7,829,094 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:04 PM

My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me (48587 Views)

My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually / My Friend's Father Is A Ghost!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by pocohantas(f): 2:28pm On Apr 16, 2022
bigpicture001:

I am a full grown adult and don't wallow any more in the infant emotional manipulation of mother's....

I can't kill for her.

Oga rest. OP’s father has been collecting rent on properties of the woman you claim hates him. The bone of contention now is he wants to sell them outrightly. If not that you are blinded by bias, you would state it rightly that it is wrong for his father to behave that way.

6 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Nobody: 2:28pm On Apr 16, 2022
KiNg0G:

who be this mumu? wetin the op do you?

must you insult am, because he carry him family problem come here. All this nairaland frustrated people self.

Reason I don't like bringing things to the public

Let the guy call the father's family and the mom's family, let them trash it out
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Streett: 2:28pm On Apr 16, 2022
Family properties should be passed on by written Wills I suppose and the ‘inherintee’ fit use am do anything weh him want…. Bruh “The will” naim need check and balance …. if it’s in your dads name then you no get case but if it’s in your name and other sibs names then case plenty

I hate family Yawa , careful Bruh
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by VULCAN(m): 2:28pm On Apr 16, 2022
Your advice should be ignored.

The father should sell it, waste the money, then come back to be a burden to him in old age abi??

It's very difficult for bad Caucasian parents to later be a burden on their children because their culture doesn't frown on you ignoring a bad parent when they age.

Africa is very different, even the most useless and irresponsible parent will come back like an evil spirit and make massive financial demands on a child that they mistreated much earlier.

Therefore he should secure his mother's inheritance.

It is not his father's to waste.

A shameless man dragging what his mother in law left for his wife

oldienavie:

He is the only son.
Some parents are not reasonable, you just assume that everybody can act rationally.
My dad managed to build 3 houses with the support of my mom , he is a very excessive spender and he does not know how to control himself when people ask for help.
He can give out his whole salary to people while the family suffers.

As I speak he has sold 2 houses, and we dont even know how he spent the money, infact, I wont be surprised if he has sold the last one.

What I did is to focus on building myself, I approached life with a mentality of an orphan, so I never looked at all the things he acquired which he has now squandered.

So @OP, I understand this is a difficult situation, but if you are doing okay like you claim, focus on your own family and forget that he exists. Let him sell the property if he wants, since you are also in a good place, there is no need bothering yourself with his wasteful lifestyle, some African parents are a burden on their children and that is the reality.

2 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Dalil8: 2:29pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:
As much as I hate bringing this here, I need advice on ways to go about this..is it right for a father to drag his wife wealth with his son, knowing fully well, the son is now a grown man.

My mom left us with lot of properties she acquired as inheritance from her father and mother side, been the only surviving child, while she was still around some relatives wanted to grab some of it...claiming she's a woman...but seeing she had a grown up son which was me they had to maintain and stay on their lane... besides my mom was never the sluggish type.

Now, my dad is trying to drag this property with me, saying he wants to sell some of the land without even informing me... he his claiming some of house rents and lavishing it on frivolities anyhow.

Yes he's my father, he trained me up to this stage that I am, but by right I thought Those properties are mine already.since it's inheritance that's supposed to be passed down to her offsprings.....if am wrong please someone should tell me.

You're an irresponsible and ungrateful son.

Aren't you supposed to be one with your dad? Isn't that the meaning of 'family'?

I'm sure if it was the other way round, you'd have gladly left all your father's properties for your mom.

Go and hustle for your own properties you ingrate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 2:29pm On Apr 16, 2022
tctrills:

God never cursed marriage or said man and wife are no longer one. He still blesses marriages till today.
Marriage, according to Genesis 2 vs 24 is simply an agreement between a man and woman to become husband and wife(marriage). The very same husband and wife on whom the curse in Genesis 3 vs 16 is placed on by God..
You(wife) will want your husband very much,
    but he(husband) will rule over you(wife).”
- Genesis 3 vs 16
Implicated are the very same husband and wife(one) that is a marriage. undecided

God didn't place that curse on single women or single men, but on men and women in marriage(husband and wife) .I.e. on marriage itself.. undecided
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by pocohantas(f): 2:29pm On Apr 16, 2022
patwilly:

You see everything through the prism of domestic violence's/Marital problems. Try dey disguise your insecurities sometimes abeg. You pocohontas will get married and have a blissful marriage. Wish it unto thyself.

Of course there is definitely an issue. OP rightly stated that his father is spending the money on FRIVOLITIES. If you used the same energy you used in reading Poco’s post to read his own, you would have picked that up.

Wish it to your mother and female family members. They need it more.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Mindlog: 2:30pm On Apr 16, 2022

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by VEHINTOLAR: 2:30pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:

How?

Really

I don't agree at all

If I wasn't born, do you think those property would be accessible to him?
Because he married my mother.
It would have been passed down to the closest relative of my mother kindreds
Hmm,I can see you already hate your own dad because of mere properties that some dead people worked for ! Guy,I'm sorry but you're lacking in wisdom ! You claimed this same man,your dad has trained you to the level you are now but if I may ask you,is it the same level of fighting with him over the properties some dead relatives labored for ?
I know you won't like my suggestion but that won't deter me from saying it. I know you must have been rude to your dad in the course of this property tussle. Now,go and apologise to him,present yourself as an obedient and respectful child that you're supposed to be,and try to have a decent discussion with him on the said property.

Above doesn't mean your dad will agree with you not to sell some of the properties but I'll employ you to apply wisdom;let him do whatever he likes. He is your father and he has that powerful divine authority over you;don't joke with that !

Yoruba will say "Eni jogun ko da bi eni ogun gbe" ! So,on that premise,my guy pray to God to bless the work of your own hands and that's it. See those property as bonus,if you get it fine and if not fine still ! Trust me it isn't worth fighting your dad over anything.

My advice is borne out of personal experience,I hope you'll find it useful. I have inherited properties from my patents in my home town that I've not collected a dime on for years ! Except that I instructed the tenants to maintain those properties and always put them in good shape,I get nothing personally from them. You know why ? God has really blessed me and He can bless you too !

3 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by like1: 2:30pm On Apr 16, 2022
OP you have to come clean with the origin of this problem, or we hear your fathers side. I am ashamed to say that our generation have learnt bad things of not taking care of our parents at old age.

I can bet that this OP's father needs money, barely can afford to feed and take his medications regularly and the OP doesn't take of his father financially, so the old man is resorting to selling properties.

Let us hear from your father. Moreover he has all the rights over you to those properties, na him marry your mum nobi you marry your mum.

OP respect yourself, take of your old man or Bleep off and allow him to fend for himself the way he can.

2 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by membranus: 2:31pm On Apr 16, 2022
Mindlog:

As long as your mother's marriage to your father was legally recognized, him being the surviving spouse, you and your siblings will all be beneficiaries.

Get a lawyer involved.

Quote the law that says so.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by West1side: 2:32pm On Apr 16, 2022
socialmediaman:

Inherited properties are usually given to the children, not the spouses
Exactly like that man building Skyscraper n the wife was fighting the relative from taking his cars, we should assume she was fighting to keep it for their children yeah.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Blazadenise(m): 2:32pm On Apr 16, 2022
Imagine I'm married, have 4 children, me and my wife train them all through school, gather properties around the country, now Wife pass on, and for one/two reason my son want to drag property with me..something that solely belong to me and my wife, Even if there was a WILL. Me and my wife would have agreed on how to share our property.. Unfortunately one party to the will is still even still Alive, do you know what it means to drag your dad over what belong to him. Except there re more yo your family background you not telling us.

3 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Trojan8(m): 2:33pm On Apr 16, 2022
The man trained you to where you are, and you are shameless dragging land with him like this. Were you the one that married your mom? Na wa for these kind children.

3 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by KiNg0G: 2:34pm On Apr 16, 2022
Trojan8:
The man trained you to where you are, and you are shameless dragging land with him like this. Were you the one that married your mom? Na wa for these kind children.
if your daughter married in the future and after her
demise, her husband decides to sell the inheritance
you left her and just to flex anyhow without minding
your grandchildren u go like am?
some of you need sense refill

2 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by KiNg0G: 2:34pm On Apr 16, 2022
Blazadenise:
Imagine I'm married, have 4 children, me and my wife train them all through school, gather properties around the country, now Wife pass on, and for one/two reason my son want to drag property with me..something that solely belong to me and my wife, Even if there was a WILL. Me and my wife would have agreed on how to share our property.. Unfortunately one party to the will is still even still Alive, do you know what it means to drag your dad over what belong to him. Except there re more yo your family background you not telling us.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Springboot: 2:35pm On Apr 16, 2022
Except she willed it to you, if you goto court, you can't win, by law, your mothers properties belong to your father, if it was your fathers properties and he's Kate, will you be dragging properties with your mother?

2 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by ezegenigbonine: 2:35pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:

How?

Really

I don't agree at all

My brother, its understandable if your father want to lavish the proceeds of the property and you are trying to protect it.

But put yourself in your fathers position and think how it feels when your son is dragging your wife things with you.

Weather you like it or not, so far your father is still alive and hearty, he is the owner of the properties till he dies. But that does not stop you from protecting it.

I bet you your father is a nonentity. That's what am sensing.

Remember, that properties automatically belongs to your father on the day he paid your mothers bride price.

But in the real sense, are you OK? Dragging your mother's property with your father haba

2 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Trojan8(m): 2:35pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:

How?

Really

I don't agree at all

If you weren't born, they would have still been married. And in the case where your mom dies, property still belongs to your father. So what are you saying? A wife's property would only be passed to her kindred when she and the husband dies at the same time without any children.

5 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Cheq40: 2:35pm On Apr 16, 2022
Reasons women dnt partake in inherited properties in my side unless its willed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 2:35pm On Apr 16, 2022
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Trojan8(m): 2:35pm On Apr 16, 2022
KiNg0G:

I can't be wasting words on a tout.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by ZIAZI(m): 2:36pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:
As much as I hate bringing this here, I need advice on ways to go about this..is it right for a father to drag his wife wealth with his son, knowing fully well, the son is now a grown man.

My mom left us with lot of properties she acquired as inheritance from her father and mother side, been the only surviving child, while she was still around some relatives wanted to grab some of it...claiming she's a woman...but seeing she had a grown up son which was me they had to maintain and stay on their lane... besides my mom was never the sluggish type.

Now, my dad is trying to drag this property with me, saying he wants to sell some of the land without even informing me... he his claiming some of house rents and lavishing it on frivolities anyhow.

Yes he's my father, he trained me up to this stage that I am, but by right I thought Those properties are mine already.since it's inheritance that's supposed to be passed down to her offsprings.....if am wrong please someone should tell me.

OP, it is presumed that there is no will in this case because you made no mention of it.

I could be of help if you could share more details about the structure of things.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 2:36pm On Apr 16, 2022
tctrills:

According to Nigerian law, the spouse is automatically the next of kin. The child only inherits if its expressly stated in a will or if there was a divorce.
Again, we don't advise families to settle issues in court. Keeping the family together is more important than sharing property.
I am afraid that ain't entirely true, even in Nigeria. undecided
Thanks to Mindlog!

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Cyriloha(m): 2:37pm On Apr 16, 2022
[s]
KiNg0G:
This is serious, according to bible na papa right since him and your mama na one.

But normal common sense, your papa nor supposed drag your mama property with you na grin grin grin

Him supposed to dey hustle to die live better one for you...

Things dey happen for this life...o chai
[/s]

To me the man I mean his father should be the rightful owner if the property, with the son calming down and follow him with wisdom not by dragging .... Common that's his wife we are talking about , if the boy thinks is easy he should go and get a rich gf that will leave properties behind for him ...... Sincerely speaking his wrong bro.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Akinexcel: 2:37pm On Apr 16, 2022
[quote author=GraciousGod190 post=111980899]As much as I hate bringing this here, I need advice on ways to go about this..is it right for a father to drag his wife wealth with his son, knowing fully well, the son is now a grown man.

Oga , leave your dad to enjoy the wealth your mum left behind. Where were you when your father and mother started the journey of love . Dont be selfish man.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Cyriloha(m): 2:37pm On Apr 16, 2022
immortalcrown:
Your house is not in order. This is all I can say now.

But by right, your father is most entitled to your mother and her property, just as you will be most entitled to your wife's property.

God bless you my bro
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by barristerbiodun(m): 2:38pm On Apr 16, 2022
Legally speaking, in the absence of a Will by a deceased. One will have to apply for Letter of Administration from the Probate Department of the High Court of State you reside.

In applying for Letter of Administration, there is a hierarchy that is judicially recognised and entrenched in the Wills Act and Wills Law of almost all the states. The hierarchy is such that the first priority is given to the Spouse of the Deceased then the children, grandchildren, parents of the deceased etc in that order.

I do not know the circumstances of the situation between you and your father so I wouldn't delve into that, but to be on the safe side and so that both you and your dad can be on the same page, You and him can apply for Letter of Administration. That way, the property cannot be lawfully sold without the consent of the other.

3 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by tctrills: 2:38pm On Apr 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:
I am afraid that ain't entirely true, even in Nigeria. undecided
Thanks to Mindlog!
Yes, anyone can be a next of kin but were there is no one legally declared as next of kin, the property goes to the spouse.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by ransomed: 2:38pm On Apr 16, 2022
Were you there when your father and mother started? You are passing your bound. Your father has right to his wife properties before you. Do not behave like a prodigal son.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by farem: 2:39pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:

If your father is not polygamous, you are the one dragging it with your dad!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Man Accused Of Ordering Househelp To Unleash Dogs On His Wife In Lagos / Seven Major Causes Of Divorce In Nigeria / Ajibola And Adeboye Taiwo And Their Sextuplets (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.