Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,021 members, 7,828,588 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:46 AM

My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me (48578 Views)

My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually / My Friend's Father Is A Ghost!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Lekan239(m): 3:20pm On Apr 16, 2022
PeaceJoyLove:

You are not normal. You are the kind of men we need to start beating. And you are bold to say that you want the properties your wife inherited from her dad registered in your name? grin Many men in Nigeria arent normal. Seriously, you are top on the list. And see, you will never marry a rich woman who you will kill and start dragging the properties with the children. That woman will be the one that will kill you if your plan is to over power her to claim what she inherited from her father.

You no get shame at all. Na poverty go kill you. I swear. Peoppe like you dont deserve any kind of pity.
did you know the first Landed property I bought was registered in the name of my wife up till today. Be wise and choose your words wisely
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by pocohantas(f): 3:21pm On Apr 16, 2022
Afam4eva:

That's a separate argument altogether. I'm not here to argue whether the man is not useless or whether him selling off the properties is right or wrong. The point here is that the property now belongs to him and whatever he chooses to do with it is his prerogative whether right or wrong.

No the properties do not belong to him. It belongs to him and the kids and except it has been shared properly, he shouldn’t be found selling them.

3 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by victorazy(m): 3:21pm On Apr 16, 2022
KiNg0G:

you dey reason like imbecilè

if your daughter married in the future and after her
demise, her husband decides to sell the inheritance
you left her and just to flex anyhow without minding
your grandchildren u go like am?
some of you need sense refill
Ok
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Iriruaga100(m): 3:21pm On Apr 16, 2022
To the op, every property inherited by your mom from her parents belongs to you but every property acquired by your mom during her time of marriage to your father belongs to him not you.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by West1side: 3:21pm On Apr 16, 2022
baby124:

Her properties inherited or purchased before marriage belong to all her heirs. The father does not automatically have full right to it. Those properties acquired during marriage goes to the father with the children having interest too.
According to what law ?
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Mariangeles(f): 3:22pm On Apr 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Please don't insult people who suffer from mental illness by lopping that one in with them abeg! undecided

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha grin

I like how you make light of everything. grin

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Ybaby: 3:22pm On Apr 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:
A woman is allowed to own her own property even in Nigeria... and since your mother bequeathed her property to you, your father has no right to touch any of it unless he can legally prove ownership was handed him by your mother instead. undecided

Don't let anyone deceive you with lies.. stand your ground. Get a good lawyer and don't let your father waste what belongs to you abeg! undecided

Your daddy is running temperature upstairs.

Listen your grandparents left those for their lineage .... You and your children

Get a good lawyer and sue the old thief. Anyone that prays thier hardwork and sweat goes to some random husband of thier daughter rather than thier grand kids should say nonsense here.

Greedy old man.... who competes with thier own child

4 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by CHoccolaTE: 3:23pm On Apr 16, 2022
Dalil8:

Ok what of now wey una no dey subjugated again? List just one achievement?

All the world problems na still MAN dey solve am... till date.

I no wan ever hear u compare MAN to those bleeding people again. Na only GOD fit compare himself with us. Go siddon one place woman...

Oga shift, the subjugation is still very much in place.
Stop derailing.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Thebig4: 3:23pm On Apr 16, 2022
Hmm
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Dalil8: 3:23pm On Apr 16, 2022
baby124:

You have a mental illness. Get help.

E no bad reach ur mama own sha..

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by ChristineC: 3:23pm On Apr 16, 2022
wirinet:

In this scenario, the extended families would fight each other to a stand still. It all depends on who has access to the papers of the properties, shares and bank accounts. (Though bank account would be more complicated).

Remember the children are not of legal age to do anything. It is when they get to the legal age of 18 that they can start fighting for their parents properties, and by then it might be to late. All the properties would have been sold and shared.
so in other words, the relative with the biggest balls take the meat. is this seriously how the law work in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by wirinet(m): 3:23pm On Apr 16, 2022
baby124:

Those are for people who refuse to fight. Not everybody is weak and take things as God’s will dear. Will they try that nonsense with Fashola or Tinubu’s wife? If you sit back, locusts will eat your inheritance.
Its never that easy. You know that we live in a very polygamous or polyamourous society. Most marriages have some complications, with the man having multiple wives or baby mamas. Or even women having children outside of their legally married husvands. So how do you divide properties if a spouse dies without a will using only common law, or even in the case of divorce. Are all the children and wives not entitled to a portion of their fathers wealth?
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Mariangeles(f): 3:24pm On Apr 16, 2022

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Warrior247: 3:24pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:

How?

Really

I don't agree at all

If I wasn't born, do you think those property would be accessible to him?
Because he married my mother.
It would have been passed down to the closest relative of my mother kindreds
Your papa for follow those your mama relatives drag am, but thank God you were born.

Please make some of the properties easy for your father to access. Let him enjoy the blessings of you and your mother before he dies.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by wirinet(m): 3:24pm On Apr 16, 2022
ChristineC:
is this seriously how the law work in Nigeria?

That's what most families goes through, if the spouse dies inter state.

ChristineC:
so in other words, the relative with the biggest balls take the meat. is this seriously how the law work in Nigeria?
And the biggest influence or the biggest thuggery and sometimes the biggest juju threats.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Tkeke: 3:24pm On Apr 16, 2022
I would have advised you to be patient with your Dad, so that when he too is gone, you will have access to the said properties. But my problem now is that your Dad is selling or planning to sell off the properties. That means that there might be nothing left for you to inherit. The real owner left them for you, but somebody's son, i.e. your father wants to do otherwise. This is where the problem is. I will advise that you have one on one discussion with him.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Nobody: 3:25pm On Apr 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Abeg, how true is the claim made below..

In Nigeria, the Wills Act, various wills laws of the states govern testate succession.

She died intestate and the question as to who inherits what is determined by law, either through customary law, Islamic law, State laws or the Administration of Estate Law.
Generally, the surviving spouse together with the children of the deceased stand at the apex of the hierarchy of the beneficiaries of the wealth of a person who dies intestate.

However, the OP said the Mom inherited the properties. Which means she didn't acquire the properties while in marriage. The son is supposed to be the heir of the properties.

Such properties "could" also become marital properties depending on some factors. It's not easy getting the full picture with such a simple writeup. Last last both of them should sit and discuss, if no agreement, involve family members, if no agreement, involve the chieftains, if no agreement, let the courts pronounce judgement and set precedence.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by victorazy(m): 3:26pm On Apr 16, 2022
West1side:

According to what law ?

Law of Moses
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by letitrainnow(m): 3:27pm On Apr 16, 2022
Don't fight with your father
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by tctrills: 3:27pm On Apr 16, 2022
. Nothing of what is written implies that God is against marriage. It simply says that God's design for marriage was forfeited by man and what is currently in place is the world's take on marriage. It never says so. Its the will of God that a man and woman gets married. The children of Israel forfeited God's plan by divorcing their wives, by Jesus came to change all that and restore the right way. Hence he taught us not to divorce.

2. According to scripture, God's curse or judgement is consequence pronounced by God for rejecting God's Law. You are right but God did not curse marriage. He cursed man and woman for disobedience and not the institution of marriage.

And no, a curse is not a sin but a consequence of sin. What you claim above(statement above) make absolutely no sense of any kind when applied to the other curses that God also proclaimed in that same context. For instance God cursed woman in child bearing, does that then make having of children sin against God?, Again I disagree God did not curse marriage or childbearing. God cursed the woman to have pains in childbearing, he did not curse childbearing. Neither did he curse marriage. He encourages marriage.

3. God cursed marriage means God cursed marriage. It doesn't mean God no longer recognizes marriage nor does it mean God abhors marriage it simply means God cursed marriage- it is no longer the Holy union that He had designed and desired for for in the beginning. [/b]No single verse in the entire bible teaches that marriage is no longer a holy union. The bible teaches that marriage is honorable to God.

[b]That which is unholy does not please God.
] If marriages are unholy, then God would be against it. Instead, he supports it and promises blessings for it.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by ChristineC: 3:28pm On Apr 16, 2022
wirinet:

That's what most families goes through, if the spouse dies inter state.
so you are saying if a the wealthy man and wife have a family lawyer (of course there will be one) and dies inte state, the powers of this lawyer is totally useless to his client's surviving children?
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by wirinet(m): 3:28pm On Apr 16, 2022
Tkeke:
I would have advised you to be patient with your Dad, so that when he too is gone, you will have access to the said properties. But my problem now is that your Dad is selling or planning to sell off the properties. That means that there might be nothing left for you to inherit. The real owner left them for you, but somebody's son, i.e. your father wants to do otherwise. This is where the problem is. I will advise that you have one on one discussion with him.

What then happens if the father marries another wife and bore other children?
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by nencounter10: 3:29pm On Apr 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Even your customary marriages are expected to be registered at the local government marriage offices, are they not? undecided

They should be. Whether registered or not, a marriage done according to legal and constitutional provision is valid.

People hardly register customary marriages because you need to provide proof that a marriage occurred before you can register it. People just don't go through the stress.

I can't count the number of divorce cases of traditionarily married people I have read on nairaland. You can't end a marriage that never existed.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Oyiboman69: 3:29pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:
Note: I own my own personal house, I build with my money..am not a small boy...so those abusing am fighting over parental inheritance are getting it wrong

you go marry woman come with your money,born children with the woman,train the children wen una born but only the children to come and claim what you and your wife get...

The matter get ad e be ooo....
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 3:30pm On Apr 16, 2022
Maobichek:
That is it, if their marriage is registered and the husband is the next of kin, the son is wasting his time.
But if not registered, then the son should pursue the angle in court? undecided
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 3:31pm On Apr 16, 2022
Mariangeles:
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha grin
I like how you make light of everything. grin
No, I am being serious....that guy is not one of us. grin

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by FManager(m): 3:31pm On Apr 16, 2022
bjprodint1:
Are u ur mom's next of kin?dont u av other siblings cos it seems u are d only one fighting 4 properties.uncle,go and hustle so dat u can leave properties for ur wife.or is it ur mom's properties u want 2 leave 4 ur wife and kids?

Quite woman, your statements makes no sense, if you were in this predicament what you will do much worse than complaining.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Oyiboman69: 3:31pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:

How?

Really

I don't agree at all

If I wasn't born, do you think those property would be accessible to him?
Because he married my mother.
It would have been passed down to the closest relative of my mother kindreds
when you were no where to be found....
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by wirinet(m): 3:31pm On Apr 16, 2022
ChristineC:
so you are saying if a the wealthy man and wife have a family lawyer (of course there will be one), and dies inter state, the powers of this lawyer is totally useless to his client's surviving children?

If he dies intestate, then customary law takes precedence. The lawyer can only help the particular wife and children in court. Other wife's, children and family members would also appear in court to argue their case according to their customs.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Cleanworld(f): 3:32pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:
As much as I hate bringing this here, I need advice on ways to go about this..is it right for a father to drag his wife wealth with his son, knowing fully well, the son is now a grown man.

My mom left us with lot of properties she acquired as inheritance from her father and mother side, been the only surviving child, while she was still around some relatives wanted to grab some of it...claiming she's a woman...but seeing she had a grown up son which was me they had to maintain and stay on their lane... besides my mom was never the sluggish type.

Now, my dad is trying to drag this property with me, saying he wants to sell some of the land without even informing me... he his claiming some of house rents and lavishing it on frivolities anyhow.

Yes he's my father, he trained me up to this stage that I am, but by right I thought Those properties are mine already.since it's inheritance that's supposed to be passed down to her offsprings.....if am wrong please someone should tell me.

Hi OP,
Who's your mother's next of kin between your father or you? i means if it is documented. If you have papers to claim this then you can seek the help of a family lawyer but if there is no such thing as a WILL written by your mother while alive then i'll imply you to share this properties btw you and your father in a well agreed contract documention bearing in mind that he has equal righ to his wife's property just like you do.

Stay blessed.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by godofuck231: 3:32pm On Apr 16, 2022
Heyyyyy spirits of the ancestors, diving gods of creation , futerwaking and jurisprudence, i summon your presence , this son has invoked the power of egwejiji ,
Young man the gods are wiser , your mother was not entitled to a property from you grand father but as it were the property was enough to go round so she got a part of the estate , may your name not be forgotten and may your ancestors grant you strength, your father has no rights if the said property is under the name of your late mum or your late grandfather, if the title bears mr and Mrs Ofada isiewu oha, then leave it be your father has an entitlement but if not as the case here in and here after " mrs ofada or grand pa (most gallant in palmwine and wisdom) ukponmwi ? Guy go collect your documents and change the tittle of the land to your name , it should be sworn as an affidavit in a competent court of legal jurisdiction,

I have spoken and so has the spirits , with the right brand of spirit and kola nothing can go wrong in the sight of the elders

One fine girl just pass me and she no wear pant , suuuuu ,

ANCESTORSSSSSSS, WHAT IS THISSSSSS?
SUUUUUUU
SE PEPPER !

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by abbey621(m): 3:32pm On Apr 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:
What about cases where no documents are available to prove the existence of the Union? undecided

Haaaa....then those one are in for a long thing grin. Since early 2000s, churches and mosques have been briefed on the new requirements, witnesses and documentation is a MUST!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (23) (Reply)

Six Habits That Prove A Person Was Born In A Poor Family / It Turns Me On Seeing My Wife Hurt, Sad Or In Pain / Car Issue: Am I Being Fair To My Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.