Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,540 members, 7,827,014 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me (48564 Views)

My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually / My Friend's Father Is A Ghost!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Mindlog: 3:09pm On Apr 16, 2022
Lekan239:
that's why I questions the relationship between the man and his wife. If there marriage was near perfect at the first place, the properties should have been registered with the name of the man.

Why should a property inherited by a woman from her father be registered in the name of the man she is married to, what happened to her own name?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 3:10pm On Apr 16, 2022
baby124:

You have a mental illness. Get help.
Please don't insult people who suffer from mental illness by lopping that one in with them abeg! undecided

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by baby124: 3:10pm On Apr 16, 2022
Lekan239:
that's why I questions the relationship between the man and his wife. If there marriage was near perfect at the first place, the properties should have been registered with the name of the man.

Never. It is what she got from her parents. That property is in her name and was done so by her parents. In marriage when they jointly buy property, then the property will be in both names. I will never will my property in anybody’s name but my child’s name. I don’t care who they married. If they both want property they can work for it. I will even put restriction on the property that it cannot be sold, only inherited by her children and their own children and so on.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Trojan8(m): 3:10pm On Apr 16, 2022
wirinet:

False. If your mother did not will her property to her husband, he cannot claim it.

A husband (as well as other members of the wife's family) can only fight for his wife's family if she died inter state. Then customs and traditions will come in to settle property sharing.

At OP.
If you don't want your father to exhibit any property you legally inherited from your mother, contact a competent lawyer. He will first issue a cease and desist letter to your father and if he does not obey, institute legal proceedings. But then, you should be prepared for the backlash from him and his side of the family. They will first blackmail you and then disown you.

Stories. Without a will, the husband is the next of kin.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by ChristineC: 3:10pm On Apr 16, 2022
PeaceJoyLove:

You are not OK. That's what I can say.
so what is your own view?
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Afam4eva(m): 3:11pm On Apr 16, 2022
The OP knows that he does not legally have the right to claim his mom's property while his father, her wife is alive. So, what he did was to throw us off by telling us that the man is useless and wants to sell off the property. Even if he's the most useless man in the world, the properties still belong to him and he can do with them as he so chooses. This kind of behavior is what drives some children to kill their parents.

2 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by CHoccolaTE: 3:11pm On Apr 16, 2022
Dalil8:

Just look around you first. Tell me the use of women for this world. If no be as baby factory. Even technology wey go take care of that baby making aspect go soon roll out.

Men got EVERY aspect of life covered. That phone wey u dey use type na MAN do am, dat house wey u siddon put sef na MAN.

So u see. Only God fit compare himself with Man, no be ordinary dirty woman like u go dey talk.

Look around the world yourself, 90% of the problems and destructions caused in this world are caused by men.
Rape
War
Armed robbery
Kidnapping
Ritual killing
Child trafficking
Etc

If males did not fabricate lies in religious books to keep women subjugated, they would play more active roles in society but religious zombies think some imaginary god instructed them to rule over women.

I don't want to derail this thread abeg.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by nencounter10: 3:11pm On Apr 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:
You know this is another angle the OP could look into. If the marriage between his father and mother were never in fact registered, maybe OP could use that to his benefit. What do you think? undecided

So a marriage that is not registered is not valid. There is something called customary law.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Afam4eva(m): 3:11pm On Apr 16, 2022
CHoccolaTE:

If the man didn't will that property to her and she started dragging with her children or she was spending it on frivolities like Op's father is doing then yes.
A man's property belongs to his wife and vice-versa. Will or no will.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 3:12pm On Apr 16, 2022
Lekan239:

2 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Trojan8(m): 3:12pm On Apr 16, 2022
wirinet:

False premise. First a husband (or wife) does not automatically become a next of kin. It has to be specifically written down. Besides there is no universal next of kin. There are next of kin for various purposes. When opening your ban account, you could fill your husband as your next of kin. When getting a new employment, you could fill your mother as your next of kin.

Secondly, a will supercedes any next of kin.

There's no will here, and the next of kin where there's a legal marriage is the spouse.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by juman(m): 3:13pm On Apr 16, 2022
Learning from lawyers comments.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 3:13pm On Apr 16, 2022
nencounter10:
So a marriage that is not registered is not valid. There is something called customary law.
Even your customary marriages are expected to be registered at the local government marriage offices, are they not? undecided

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by pocohantas(f): 3:13pm On Apr 16, 2022
Mindlog:

Why should a property inherited by a woman from her father be registered in the name of the man she is married to, what happened to her own name?

Wetin we no go read for Nairaland o. As in, you inherited your parents properties, you will na change the name to your husband’s own ONLY. The kind of love and mumuness Naija men expect from their women. They suppose sit in their quiet time and ask themselves if they deserve it. grin grin grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Nobody: 3:13pm On Apr 16, 2022
ChristineC:
so what is your own view?
Are you OK at all? You wan dey drag property that your wife inherited from her dad with your children. Are you normal? You still dey ask me question? Something dey worry your brain?

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by CHoccolaTE: 3:14pm On Apr 16, 2022
baby124:

Never. It is what she got from her parents. That property is in her name and was done so by her parents. In marriage when they jointly buy property, then the property will be in both names. I will never will my property in anybody’s name but my child’s name. I don’t care who they married. If they both want property they can work for it. I will even put restriction on the property that it cannot be sold, only inherited by her children and their own children and so on.

Thanks for this. Imagine my parents working hard to save for my future then after they will their property to me, one man will claim to be entitled to their sweat and money because he married me.
I can decide to give him out of my own discretion but he isn't entitled to it.

What rubbish.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by baby124: 3:14pm On Apr 16, 2022
wirinet:

That one na for obodo oyimbo o. Here in naija, unless the property is titled Mr and Mrs, when the couple separates, everyone goes with his or her properties. Even when a husband or wife dies, vultures in the form on extended family members descend on the properties of the dead spouse, not minding the surviving spouse or children.
Those are for people who refuse to fight. Not everybody is weak and take things as God’s will dear. Will they try that nonsense with Fashola or Tinubu’s wife? If you sit back, locusts will eat your inheritance.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Afam4eva(m): 3:14pm On Apr 16, 2022
pocohantas:

Wetin we no go read for Nairaland o. As in, you inherited your parents properties, you will na change the name to your husband’s own ONLY. The kind of love and mumuness Naija men expect from their women. They suppose sit in their quiet time and ask themselves if they deserve it. grin grin grin
So, women should also not inherit properties from their husbands just because it was inherited from the husband's side of the family?

3 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Trojan8(m): 3:15pm On Apr 16, 2022
Afam4eva:
The OP knows that he does not legally have the right to claim his mom's property while his father, her wife is alive. So, what he did was to throw us off by telling us that the man is useless and wants to sell off the property. Even if he's the most useless man in the world, the properties still belong to him and he can do with them as he so chooses. This kind of behavior is what drives some children to kill their parents.

Sense will not finish you. He wanted to play with our emotions.

First he does not explicitly state that there's no will. If there's no will, how do we know that your mom actually said that Op should inherit it.

Then he claims his father is a bad father, and wants to sell everything. The reality could be far different.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by olaodun: 3:15pm On Apr 16, 2022
Sorry for all insult people are giving here , I will ask did your father marry another wife , is there any will from your mother
if your father has another wife and there is no will from your mother then you need wisdom to handle your father and the only way to do that is that you need to talk to your father and also assist him in meeting his needs and leave the properties for you after all if your mother did not leave property you will still take care of your father , then use legal means to perfect the documentation by the help of experienced lawyer to get the title documents in agreement with your father . pls consider
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by wirinet(m): 3:15pm On Apr 16, 2022
ChristineC:
so let's assume there is no will. a wealthy man and his wife dies in an accident, leaving behind young kids.
how do you think their estate will be secured?
In this scenario, the extended families would fight each other to a stand still. It all depends on who has access to the papers of the properties, shares and bank accounts. (Though bank account would be more complicated).

Remember the children are not of legal age to do anything. It is when they get to the legal age of 18 that they can start fighting for their parents properties, and by then it might be to late. All the properties would have been sold and shared.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 3:15pm On Apr 16, 2022
abbey621:
Most are registered, either church or the Muslim Niqqah, both issue certificates that serves as registration, of course court weddings provide more protection(Monogamy, etc) but in over 900 cases brought before the courts in the past 10 years, the religious marriage certificates was enough proof of validity.
What about cases where no documents are available to prove the existence of the Union? undecided
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by KiNg0G: 3:16pm On Apr 16, 2022
Afam4eva:
you dey reason like imbecilè

if your daughter married in the future and after her
demise, her husband decides to sell the inheritance
you left her and just to flex anyhow without minding
your grandchildren u go like am?
some of you need sense refill

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by victorazy(m): 3:16pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:

How?

Really

I don't agree at all

If I wasn't born, do you think those property would be accessible to him?
Because he married my mother.
It would have been passed down to the closest relative of my mother kindreds

Young man, your mom property or inheritance whatever you call it also belongs to your father, infact who even gave you the temerity to downgrade your dad in this manner?

Your house is not in order.

You don't have respect to your dad at all.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Dalil8: 3:16pm On Apr 16, 2022
CHoccolaTE:

Look around the world yourself, 90% of the problems and destructions caused in this world are caused by men.
Rape
War
Armed robbery
Kidnapping
Ritual killing
Child trafficking
Etc

If males did not fabricate lies in religious books to keep women subjugated, they would play more active roles in society but religious zombies think some imaginary god instructed them to rule over women.

I don't want to derail this thread abeg.

Ok what of now wey una no dey "subjugated" again? List just one achievement?

All the world problems na still MAN dey solve am... till date.

I no wan ever hear u compare MAN to those bleeding people again. Na only GOD fit compare himself with us. Go siddon one place woman...

3 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Maobichek: 3:16pm On Apr 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:
You know this is another angle the OP could look into. If the marriage between his father and mother were never in fact registered, maybe OP could use that to his benefit. What do you think? undecided

That is it, if their marriage is registered and the husband is the next of kin, the son is wasting his time.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Nobody: 3:17pm On Apr 16, 2022
Lekan239:

You are not normal. You are the kind of men we need to start beating. And you are bold to say that you want the properties your wife inherited from her dad registered in your name? grin Many men in Nigeria arent normal. Seriously, you are top on the list. And see, you will never marry a rich woman who you will kill and start dragging the properties with the children. That woman will be the one that will kill you if your plan is to over power her to claim what she inherited from her father.

You no get shame at all. Na poverty go kill you. I swear. Peoppe like you dont deserve any kind of pity.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by pocohantas(f): 3:17pm On Apr 16, 2022
Afam4eva:

So, women should also not inherit properties from their husbands just because it was inherited from the husband's side of the family?

Oga, stop all the useless semantics and cross-examination. The issue here is not inheriting the property, the issue here is outright sale of an inheritance without due consideration to the kids.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Lekan239(m): 3:17pm On Apr 16, 2022
baby124:

why should the man be thinking of challenging his father at the first place because of his mother's land, he claimed he has money and has build various houses but he can't take care of his old father, if he his taking care of that man, he wouldn't think of selling property for survival
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Nikkganc08(m): 3:18pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:
As much as I hate bringing this here, I need advice on ways to go about this..is it right for a father to drag his wife wealth with his son, knowing fully well, the son is now a grown man.

My mom left us with lot of properties she acquired as inheritance from her father and mother side, been the only surviving child, while she was still around some relatives wanted to grab some of it...claiming she's a woman...but seeing she had a grown up son which was me they had to maintain and stay on their lane... besides my mom was never the sluggish type.

Now, my dad is trying to drag this property with me, saying he wants to sell some of the land without even informing me... he his claiming some of house rents and lavishing it on frivolities anyhow.

Yes he's my father, he trained me up to this stage that I am, but by right I thought Those properties are mine already.since it's inheritance that's supposed to be passed down to her offsprings.....if am wrong please someone should tell me.

Have a manly chat with ur dad.

If necessary , compensate him with a plot of land.

But if I'm in ur shoes, I'd start selling those ur mums properties secretly. Then use the proceeds to buy new properties FULLY REGISTERED in my name.

If its 10 plots of land, DENY.

only claim she handed over 1 or 2 plots to u.

Family comes first before all these earthly stuffs. Try and reason with ur dad
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by ChristineC: 3:19pm On Apr 16, 2022
PeaceJoyLove:

Are you OK at all? You wan dey drag property that your wife inherited from her dad with your children. Are you normal? You still dey ask me question? Something dey worry your brain?
the problem with bonobo monkeys like you is that you have no meaningful education and laziness has severely limited your brain power to the basic use of a smartphone. when asked a simple test, you spew foolery and mindless questions with pride instead of just keeping quiet.
the law is there for a reason and your ignorance is never a panacea for morality.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Afam4eva(m): 3:19pm On Apr 16, 2022
pocohantas:

Oga, stop all the useless semantics and cross-examination. The issue here is not inheriting the property, the issue here is outright sale of an inheritance without due consideration to the kids.
That's a separate argument altogether. I'm not here to argue whether the man is not useless or whether him selling off the properties is right or wrong. The point here is that the property now belongs to him and whatever he chooses to do with it is his prerogative whether right or wrong.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (23) (Reply)

My Step-father Sneaked Into My Room And Made Love To Me / Six Habits That Prove A Person Was Born In A Poor Family / It Turns Me On Seeing My Wife Hurt, Sad Or In Pain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.