Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,126 members, 7,829,009 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me (48584 Views)

My Father Dragging My Mom's Property With Me, how the Issue Was Resolved / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually / My Friend's Father Is A Ghost!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by famouscargo4u: 2:59pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:
As much as I hate bringing this here, I need advice on ways to go about this..is it right for a father to drag his wife wealth with his son, knowing fully well, the son is now a grown man.

My mom left us with lot of properties she acquired as inheritance from her father and mother side, been the only surviving child, while she was still around some relatives wanted to grab some of it...claiming she's a woman...but seeing she had a grown up son which was me they had to maintain and stay on their lane... besides my mom was never the sluggish type.

Now, my dad is trying to drag this property with me, saying he wants to sell some of the land without even informing me... he his claiming some of house rents and lavishing it on frivolities anyhow.

Yes he's my father, he trained me up to this stage that I am, but by right I thought Those properties are mine already.since it's inheritance that's supposed to be passed down to her offsprings.....if am wrong please someone should tell me.
Bros calm down, by right, all belongs to your dad unless your mum wrote a will transferring ownership to you. You have to play it cool. In the end, it will still belong to you. As a a grown adult, have a chit-chat with your dad, advise him on how to manage it.

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Dalil8: 3:00pm On Apr 16, 2022
CHoccolaTE:

Why did the useless father not hustle his own money?

This should serve as a lesson to hustling women, if you have substantial amount of money or property in your name, better write a will as soon as possible because if you die, one man will claim to own you and your properties because he paid bride price and then decide to spend your hard earned money on side chics and marrying new wives while he leaves your kids to suffer.

And i hope say every man wey dey include him wife for will dey take note. I just wish every man wey dey dis world be like me, una for suffer ehhn.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by wirinet(m): 3:00pm On Apr 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:
You know this is another angle the OP could look into. If the marriage between his father and mother were never in fact registered, maybe OP could use that to his benefit. What do you think? undecided
A legal will supersede legal marriage. If the properties were solely in her name, she could will it to anyone she wishes.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by ChristineC: 3:00pm On Apr 16, 2022
the property belongs to your father first. without a legal will, her husband, if surviving, is automatically the next of kin.
oga go and settle with your father and pray he wills some to you, or move on.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by famouscargo4u: 3:01pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:

How?

Really

I don't agree at all

If I wasn't born, do you think those property would be accessible to him?
Because he married my mother.
It would have been passed down to the closest relative of my mother kindreds

If you were not born and they are legally married, all belongs to your dad.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by CHoccolaTE: 3:02pm On Apr 16, 2022
Dalil8:

I just wish every man wey dey dis world be like me. Una for suffer ehhn.

I wish more women realized how useless men are in their personal lives, once a women is wealthy, the only purpose a man serves in her life is sperm donor.
No be only suffer. Suffer kor, suffer ni.

Always attaching nonsense importance to themselves.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by famouscargo4u: 3:02pm On Apr 16, 2022
Babaken:
Mr take your father to court and leave nairaland people to focus on important issues.

He will lose in court. The only way he can win is if his mum left a will transferring the property to him
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by juman(m): 3:02pm On Apr 16, 2022
Those inheritance belong to you and your father and some little to her relatives.

You suppose to take largest share, then follow by your father and some bits to your mother's relatives.

To have peace, share the properties and let each know their boundary.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Afam4eva(m): 3:04pm On Apr 16, 2022
CHoccolaTE:

This should serve as a lesson to hustling women, if you have substantial amount of money or property in your name, better write a will as soon as possible because if you die, one man will claim to own you and your properties because he paid bride price and then decide to spend your hard earned money on side chics and marrying new wives while he leaves your kids to suffer.
Would you also call women who inherit their husband's property useless?

2 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by starbn(m): 3:04pm On Apr 16, 2022
You are one of the reason why DNA is very important.
Honestly your shame dey shame me.
You have to come out legally to proved your mom willed this property to you and reason your dad can't be part of it.

Pychartric examination needed to conduct on you.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by baby124: 3:04pm On Apr 16, 2022
ezegenigbonine:

My brother, its understandable if your father want to lavish the proceeds of the property and you are trying to protect it.

But put yourself in your fathers position and think how it feels when your son is dragging your wife things with you.

Weather you like it or not, so far your father is still alive and hearty, he is the owner of the properties till he dies. But that does not stop you from protecting it.

I bet you your father is a nonentity. That's what am sensing.

Remember, that properties automatically belongs to your father on the day he paid your mothers bride price.

But in the real sense, are you OK? Dragging your mother's property with your father haba
Only properties acquired during marriage belong to the couple. Not properties before marriage or inherited properties.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by ChristineC: 3:04pm On Apr 16, 2022
CHoccolaTE:

every discuss is not a m/f competition or an avenue to form wokeness. grow up.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by chloride6: 3:04pm On Apr 16, 2022
Did you marry your mother?

Mad child .

Common go and hustle, nonsense.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by wirinet(m): 3:04pm On Apr 16, 2022
ChristineC:
the property belongs to your father first. without a will, her husband is automatically the next of kin.
oga go and settle with your father or move on.

False premise. First a husband (or wife) does not automatically become a next of kin. It has to be specifically written down. Besides there is no universal next of kin. There are next of kin for various purposes. When opening your ban account, you could fill your husband as your next of kin. When getting a new employment, you could fill your mother as your next of kin.

Secondly, a will supercedes any next of kin.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by tunapawizzy: 3:05pm On Apr 16, 2022
na ur papa born u...na same thing una be.......una dey fight on top property of ur mum n his wife...una no dey shame....make una go work acquire una own..
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 3:05pm On Apr 16, 2022
wirinet:

A legal will supersede legal marriage. If the properties were solely in her name, she could will it to anyone she wishes.
We get that but in the absence of a will, and supposing the marriage between his parents was unregistered , then what? undecided
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by pocohantas(f): 3:05pm On Apr 16, 2022
Dalil8:

And i hope say every man wey dey include him wife for will dey take note. I just wish every man wey dey dis world be like me, una for suffer ehhn.

Nobody would suffer, except the women in your life. No one knows you in the grand scheme of things and you are not the one feeding a good percentage of women. Stop overhyping your worth.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Nobody: 3:05pm On Apr 16, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

According to Nigerians laws, it belongs to his father now. Unless he decides to teach the man a lesson.
You are not OK. which Nigerian law? Which lesson he wants to teach the useless man at his old age? Anyway, you are an illiterate, so igs not your fault.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Duru009(m): 3:05pm On Apr 16, 2022
You just have to be extremely careful with him, he might eliminate you to have his way......

When there is life, there is HOPE....

Please be careful !!!!
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Nobody: 3:06pm On Apr 16, 2022
ChristineC:
the property belongs to your father first. without a legal will, her husband, if surviving, is automatically the next of kin.
oga go and settle with your father and pray he wills some to you, or move on.
You are not OK. That's what I can say.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Dalil8: 3:06pm On Apr 16, 2022
CHoccolaTE:

I wish more women realized how useless men are in their personal lives, once a women is wealthy, the only purpose a man serves in her life is sperm donor.
No be only suffer. Suffer kor, suffer ni.

Always attaching nonsense importance to themselves.

Just look around you first. Tell me the use of women for this world. If no be as baby factory. Even technology wey go take care of that baby making aspect go soon roll out.

Men got EVERY aspect of life covered. That phone wey u dey use type na MAN do am, dat house wey u siddon put sef na MAN.

So u see. Only God fit compare himself with Man, no be ordinary dirty woman like u go dey talk.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by chloride6: 3:06pm On Apr 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:
No! The Married Women's Property Act of 1882 in Nigeria allows for women to have and keep property of their own in marriage. undecided

1880 wetin? Common will you keep kwayet!

grin
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by abbey621(m): 3:07pm On Apr 16, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Unregistered traditional marriages? undecided

Most are registered, either church or the Muslim Niqqah, both issue certificates that serves as registration, of course court weddings provide more protection(Monogamy, etc) but in over 900 cases brought before the courts in the past 10 years, the religious marriage certificates was enough proof of validity.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by CHoccolaTE: 3:07pm On Apr 16, 2022
Afam4eva:

Would you also call women who inherit their husband's property useless?

If the man didn't will that property to her and she started dragging with her children or she was spending it on frivolities like Op's father is doing then yes.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by baby124: 3:07pm On Apr 16, 2022
highoctane:
Inheritance is tricky especially when it was not written. That your mother inherited assets and labilities from her father do not become automatically yours, and under unwritten will they are assumed to be that of your father.
Let's say it was written, for example all assets and liabilities from ... et al has been transferred to your mother et al, you re a part of the inheritance.
But in this issue, your father is at will to sublet a part of your mother's inheritance to you.
My suggestion when one is sick, he or she visit a doctor in an established hospital for medical assistance.
Hence you re legally sick, seek the assistance of a lawyer.
Her properties inherited or purchased before marriage belong to all her heirs. The father does not automatically have full right to it. Those properties acquired during marriage goes to the father with the children having interest too.

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Nobody: 3:07pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:
As much as I hate bringing this here, I need advice on ways to go about this..is it right for a father to drag his wife wealth with his son, knowing fully well, the son is now a grown man.

My mom left us with lot of properties she acquired as inheritance from her father and mother side, been the only surviving child, while she was still around some relatives wanted to grab some of it...claiming she's a woman...but seeing she had a grown up son which was me they had to maintain and stay on their lane... besides my mom was never the sluggish type.

Now, my dad is trying to drag this property with me, saying he wants to sell some of the land without even informing me... he his claiming some of house rents and lavishing it on frivolities anyhow.

Yes he's my father, he trained me up to this stage that I am, but by right I thought Those properties are mine already.since it's inheritance that's supposed to be passed down to her offsprings.....if am wrong please someone should tell me.

Move far away from him. Get a lawyer, let the person treats him right. When he is locked up, he will learn to respect the will of your mom.
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Mariangeles(f): 3:08pm On Apr 16, 2022
GraciousGod190:
Note: I own my own personal house, I build with my money..am not a small boy...so those abusing am fighting over parental inheritance are getting it wrong

So?
Why not leave your mother's property to your father with the condition that he mustn't sell it?
Why do the properties matter much to you since you have yours? You seem like a greedy person. Onye anya ukwu! undecided

Do you not love your father? Did he ever treat you badly?
Did your mother not love him?
Will she be happy with what you're doing to him?
Do you even take care of him?
Allow the old man collect rents from the properties so that he can take care of himself na?
'Cause with a son like you, I doubt there's hope for him.
I'm sure your father would wish he never had a son like you. undecided
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by ChristineC: 3:08pm On Apr 16, 2022
wirinet:

False premise. First a husband (or wife) does not automatically become a next of kin. It has to be specifically written down. Besides there is no universal next of kin. There are next of kin for various purposes. When opening your ban account, you could fill your husband as your next of kin. When getting a new employment, you could fill your mother as your next of kin.

Secondly, a will supercedes any next of kin.
so let's assume there is no will. a wealthy man and his wife dies in an accident, leaving behind young kids.
how do you think their estate will be secured?
Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by baby124: 3:08pm On Apr 16, 2022
Dalil8:

Just look around you first. Tell me the use of women for this world. If no be as baby factory. Even technology wey go take care of that baby making aspect go soon roll out.

Men got EVERY aspect of life covered. That phone wey u dey use type na MAN do am, dat house wey u siddon put sef na MAN.

So u see. Only God fit compare himself with Man, no be ordinary dirty woman like u go dey talk.

You have a mental illness. Get help.

2 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by Kobojunkie: 3:08pm On Apr 16, 2022
chloride6:
1880 wetin? Common will you keep kwayet!
grin
You should instead bow your head in shame instead that you are not aware of the laws governing your own life and existence are that old. undecided

1 Like

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by pocohantas(f): 3:09pm On Apr 16, 2022
Mariangeles:

So? Why not leave your mother's property to your father with the condition that he mustn't sell it?
Why do the properties matter much to you since you have yours? You seem like a greedy person. undecided
Do you not love your father? Did he ever treat you badly?
Did your mother not love him?
Will she be happy with what you're doing to him?
Do you even take care of him?
Allow the old man collect rents from the properties so that he can take care of himself na?
'Cause with a son like you, I doubt there's hope for him.
I'm sure your father would wish he never had a son like you. undecided

Did you not read that the man is collecting rent already, but now wants to sell?

2 Likes

Re: My Father Is Dragging My Mom's Property With Me by wirinet(m): 3:09pm On Apr 16, 2022
baby124:

Only properties acquired during marriage belong to the couple. Not properties before marriage or inherited properties.
That one na for obodo oyimbo o. Here in naija, unless the property is titled Mr and Mrs, when the couple separates, everyone goes with his or her properties. Even when a husband or wife dies, vultures in the form on extended family members descend on the properties of the dead spouse, not minding the surviving spouse or children.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (23) (Reply)

Indonesian Man Forced To Show Joystick To In-laws To Prove He Didn’t Kill Wife / Car Issue: Am I Being Fair To My Wife? / Man Accused Of Ordering Househelp To Unleash Dogs On His Wife In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.