Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,856 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me (49870 Views)

Akpan: "I Scored 126 Votes To Win Primary But APC Submitted My Opponent’s Name" / Dapo Abiodun: I May End Up In Pulpit After 8 Years As Governor / Timi Frank Replies Governor Ikpeazu: You Are Nothing But APC's Mole In PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by LondonDating: 10:47pm On Apr 27, 2022
When you think you have seen it all, Nigerian politicians skeletons keep coming out of the closet.

God, when are you going to intervene in the affairs of Nigeria
Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by DrinkWater10: 10:59pm On Apr 27, 2022
ZombieSlaughter:
Abeg my people, is there any yoruba leader who is not a criminal and ex-convict.

Tinubu knew dapo was a former jail bird in the US but he still brought him down to Ogun to run the state and now he had joined Osinbajo camp, Tinubu remembered Dapo's criminal history. grin
Was Efuroye Tinubu not a Slave trader? Are we eulogisinh slave traders too?
Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by LondonDating: 11:29pm On Apr 27, 2022
kiltoko1:
Please pictures of him in prison uniform needed

No wonder he switched his name around to cover his tracks - he is currently called Adedapo Oluseun Abiodun but his real name on his criminal record is Oluseun Adedapo Abiodun

The below looks like his Police mugshot in 1986 -

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fthumbs.mugshots.com%2Fgallery%2Fimages%2F7b%2F96%2FJeffrey-L-Singletary-mugshot-25132279.400x800.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmugshots.com%2Fsitemap%2Fgallery-1289.xml&tbnid=qyRoyetdZ-JOUM&vet=12ahUKEwjM3-bko7X3AhXcgM4BHehQDHgQMygIegQIARAv..i&docid=DWnkxY-5_dOaxM&w=400&h=500&q=%22oluseun%20Adedapo%20Abiodun%22&hl=en-US&ved=2ahUKEwjM3-bko7X3AhXcgM4BHehQDHgQMygIegQIARAv

1 Share

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by rickleye: 12:11am On Apr 28, 2022
HBB1:

Can a convicted Fraudster become Governor in the USA?

What kind of thinking is this?

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by IgOga(m): 12:12am On Apr 28, 2022
Did somebody say this man endorsed Osinbajo yesterday? grin grin Bunch of criminals all of them shocked which way Nigeria?
Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by MetaPhysical: 12:26am On Apr 28, 2022
grin. Im not surprised at the news.

First, credit card has to be explained for benefit of those who may not know.

This crime is same as wire fraud done today, with criminals like hushpuppi, invictus obi, and so on. The difference is back then access to electronic devices were very limited and Im not sure internet was even possible that time. So thieves like Dapo Abiodun had an elaborate network employed to do a seek and hit on victims. They seek information on wealthy people, steal their identity, use the stolen identity to engineer mail fraud. They rent an apartment to use as address on credit card application. On approval the card is mailed to the address with open credit sometime as high as $10,000. Back then that was a lot of money. When they cant get apartment, they can copy key to mailbox belonging to an innocent resident and direct the mails there. They keep close monitor. People with clean, positive intent will normally not open mail addressed to a unknown name, even though it was delivered to their box. So they will toss it in trash. The criminal watching from nearby spot sees this and wait for opportunity to go in the trash, collect all tossed mails looking for name of his target victim.

Governor Dapo Abiodun did the crime in 1986. If he was not a governor he would do internet fraud in 2022. The two have same goal, except infrastructure is different. He is a thief. Imagine what he has been doing to Ogun State treasury since 2019, that are yet to come to light. He appointed an aide, Bidemi, who is in same calibre, a thief.

It is time we wise up, put a stop to Dapo Abiodun's interest to run for second term. He was not qualified for any public office in Nigeria but Tinubu sponsored his candidacy, they hid his criminal background from public knowledge. He must be disqualified now from holding any public office position.

When a public officer with academic forgery is discovered we boot them out of office. Why can't thieves be booted out? Turn against Abiodun's candidacy and not return him to office.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by a4cube: 12:48am On Apr 28, 2022
rickleye:
That's over 30 years. If he has lived a trailblazing life since then - Let's not crucify the man for youthful exuberance.
We have had presidents who have done worse. But he should know during debates this will come up a lot.
mention the President pls

1 Like

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by rafcrown(m): 1:06am On Apr 28, 2022
GBAJABIAMILA
TINUBU
DAPO ABIODUN ETC
USA CRIMINAL RECORDS.
Before men of integrity ruled Nigeria and things were good but 90% of modern day politicians are of dubious characters.

2 Likes

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by MetaPhysical: 1:09am On Apr 28, 2022
rafcrown:
GBAJABIAMILA
TINUBU
DAPO ABIODUN ETC
USA CRIMINAL RECORDS.
Before men of integrity ruled Nigeria and things were good but 90% of modern day politicians are of dubious characters.

Atiku should be on list.
Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by gotousa2013: 7:03am On Apr 28, 2022
Impostor as ogun governor . How did we get here ?
Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by rickleye: 1:30pm On Apr 28, 2022
a4cube:
mention the President pls

Babangida Killed Dele Giwa , Idiagbon
Abacha killed Ken Saro Wiwa , MKO Abiola
Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by RealityKings: 11:46am On May 18, 2022
Wow
1stGenAmerican:
It’s hard to believe his aide was committing fraud in 2021 without him knowing.

Abiodun’ aide Rufai on the US Department of Justice’s official document:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdwa/press-release/file/1398536/download

Nigerian national indicted for conspiracy, wire fraud and aggravated identity theft for fraud on Employment Security benefits

Defendant detained on criminal complaint in New York now facing additional charges handed up by federal grand jury

[b] A Nigerian citizen arrested May 14, 2021 at JFK Airport in New York, is now indicted for conspiracy, wire fraud and aggravated identity theft for his scheme to steal over $350,000 in unemployment benefits from the Washington State Employment Security Department, announced Acting U.S. Attorney Tessa M. Gorman. Abidemi Rufai, aka Sandy Tang, 42, of Lekki, Nigeria, remains detained at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn, New York. Prosecutors have asked U.S. District Judge Benjamin Settle to order Rufai detained and transported to the Western District of Washington for arraignment on the indictment.

Rufai is now charged with conspiracy to commit wire fraud, nine counts of wire fraud and five counts of aggravated identity theft.

The indictment alleges that Rufai used the stolen identities of more than 100 Washington residents to file fraudulent claims with ESD for pandemic-related unemployment benefits. Rufai also filed fraudulent unemployment claims with Hawaii, Wyoming, Massachusetts, Montana, New York, and Pennsylvania. Rufai used variations of a single e-mail address in a manner intended to evade automatic detection by fraud systems. By using this practice, Rufai made it appear that each claim was connected with a different email account.

Rufai caused the fraud proceeds to be paid out to online payment accounts such as ‘Green Dot’ accounts, or wired to bank accounts controlled by “money mules.” Some of the proceeds were then mailed to the Jamaica, New York address of Rufai’s brother. Rufai was residing at his brother’s home during part of the period of the fraud. Law enforcement determined more than $288,000 was deposited into an American bank account controlled by Rufai between March and August 2020.

Conspiracy to commit wire fraud and wire fraud are punishable by up to thirty years in prison when the offense relates to benefits paid in connection with a presidentially-declared disaster or emergency, such as the COVID-19 pandemic. Aggravated identity theft is punishable by a mandatory minimum two year sentence to run consecutive to any sentence imposed on the other counts of conviction.

The charges contained in the indictment are only allegations. A person is presumed innocent unless and until he or she is proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

This case was investigated by the FBI, with assistance from the Department of Labor Office of Inspector General (DOL-OIG). The fraud on ESD is being investigated cooperatively by the FBI, DOL-OIG, Social Security Office of Inspector General, U.S. Secret Service, the United States Postal Inspection Service, and the Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigations. The Washington Employment Security Department is cooperating in the investigation.

The cases are being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Seth Wilkinson, Cindy Chang, and Benjamin Diggs of the Western District of Washington, and Trial Attorney Jane Lee of DOJ’s Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section
[/b]

Indictment document of Abiodun’s aide Rufai on the FBI website:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdwa/pr/nigerian-national-indicted-conspiracy-wire-fraud-and-aggravated-identity-theft-fraud

1 Like

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by budaatum: 11:17am On May 19, 2022
1stGenAmerican:
It’s hard to believe his aide was committing fraud in 2021 without him knowing.

Abiodun’ aide Rufai on the US Department of Justice’s official document:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdwa/press-release/file/1398536/download
We believe it now!

https://ngnewspaper.com/suspended-ogun-state-governors-aide-pleads-guilty-to-wire-fraud-in-us/

1 Like

Re: Dapo Abiodun: I Was Arrested For Fraud In U.S., But APC Cannot Disqualify Me by swaggerjack: 2:16pm On Oct 01, 2022
Ebubu:
Why would they arrest you?
Have they arrested Tinubu?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Reno Omokri Replies Aisha Yesufu: 'You Are A Frustrated Sidekick' / Peter Obi Kneels Down In Dunamis Church To Appreciate God (Photo) / 'What Is Bulaba?' - Reno Omokri Mocks Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.