Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,842 members, 7,813,840 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:39 PM

Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. (42714 Views)

Real Estate Firms All Over Nigeria Should Check This Out. / Grave Inside Compound I And Family Are About To Move Into / Ways To Reduce Cost Of Beautifully Flooring Your Compound (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by cigaricon(m): 10:11am On Apr 28, 2022
Originalsly:

What exactly is your topic? ... your headline says one thing and you want to talk about another? On burial.... is burying the dead in a cemetery African? .. haven't you taken Culture into consideration?... or are you suggesting Africans should adapt Western practices? Since you believe we should be woke and bury our dead in cemeteries then would I be wrong to say you would throw your parents into Nursing Homes when they are no longer productive?... and useless?... just occupying a room in the house which can be better utilized as an Air BNB?... and generate income to pay tax?

The love of money is the root of all evil.

Nor mind the op. He only cares about 1st world, 3rd world and real estate. Na oversabi dey worry am

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by adslipps: 10:11am On Apr 28, 2022
Pierocash:
Only the poor bury their dead in the compound. How many rich guys do you see that bury their dead in mansions in Lekki?

They bury in the lekki mansions because is not their ancestral home.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by SKIBiNSKI(m): 10:12am On Apr 28, 2022
tofolo:
my compund is my private property also, which can also be gated( at your bolded) as a private property it can also be an estate and can be put up for sale at anytime .... so his write up in biased somehow.
You may be correct, also it would depend where your property is located, if it is attached with other houses it would be impossible to gate your house (the council may not allow it) but you own a country farm house outside the city you can do whatever you like on that property.

My point was one cannot bury a body in an apartment or in their back garden in a terrace house in the middle of New york or London. smiley
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Meteng: 10:12am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
No one has replied my suggestion about compulsory property tax. In Nigeria most people do not pay property tax both for land and house , Once you buy a land and build a house in Nigeria ,it's yours forever, that should not be the case. there must be compulsory property tax. the money will be used to build and maintain roads, street lights, waste removal, etc. Even if the land is empty , the land owner must be paying tax for that land. that will discourage people from fighting over land due to the responsibilities involved. Also, land owners would be encouraged to utilize profit from their land and property , in order to generate profit to maintain the land. For example , a landowner can use their land for agriculture to generate profit.
the bigger the house and amenities and land, the bigger the property tax.

If a land owner or home owner defaults on payment of property tax, the land and house would be seized by the authorities .

Let me give you example, if Michael Jackson's Neverland was in Nigeria, he would not lose it because most Nigerians do not pay income tax, property tax ,sales tax ,etc.

There must also be compulsory insurance for all cars, whether the person is driving the car or not, he or she must pay insurance for that car . that will deter people from buying 10 cars . Also wrongful parking and overloading of vehicles must be heavily fined

we must learn from what other successful countries are doing and do the right thing or we will keep going in circles in the name of backward traditions and culture.
The ones we’ve been paying, have they used it in building and maintaining the facilities? Abu dem dey put am inside pocket chop with their children. If you don’t encourage me by using the least that I’m paying to better lives, how would I be encouraged to pay more?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Warrior247: 10:13am On Apr 28, 2022
Gentlerespect76:

See bros, there is something I need you to understand. That very guy you are talking about in the earlier thread, who wanted to sale a piece of property but was having conscience attacks, he is the only child of his late mum. Now, adults around, particularly his mums people had chosen to bury the woman in that compound for a reason which is beyond you. That burial in that compound was done so that no one could dispossess the young man of his property in the future. Whatever old people did, it was always for a purpose. But as the saying goes, anything that has advantage will also have a disadvantage.

I wish I can give you a billion likes.

Don't mind that fool. He should come and pay the property tax for everyone nah....

Are Nigerians not blessed with enough mineral resources for our foolish leaders to use for the nonsense that he is talking about? But they choose to embezzle
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by sylve11: 10:13am On Apr 28, 2022
Glink2018:

do you live in lekki? if you live in lekki , you see a lot of rich people who bury their dead in their compound.

the former governor of Oyo state was buried in his compound. probably you will say he is poor and wretched .... Oponu !

That guy is a confirmed mumu. grin cool
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Mamak1(m): 10:13am On Apr 28, 2022
Public cemetery in this country?
They never leave the one alive come be the one wey done die
It will lead to mining booms for some people.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by perryy(m): 10:13am On Apr 28, 2022
naija4life247:

Let us implement the strong institutions first before introduction of more TAX

Exactly. He want to tax landlords who are mostly jobless.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Oyiboman69: 10:14am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
Only in third world African countries do people bury the dead in their compound.even south Africa does not practice such . burying of the dead in their compound is bad for real estate.
I have mentioned on my other thread that Nigerian needs real estate land reform. we can not afford the current method if Nigeria will be developed.

In fact , most Nigerians do not pay property tax . and yet you expect roads and street lights and public amenities to be fixed? there needs to be compulsory property tax which will deter people from thinking the land belongs to them forever and therefore burying dead on the land.
people should pay heavy property tax if they want to own a home. if you can't afford property tax then rent an apartment.
mtcheeeew
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Mamak1(m): 10:15am On Apr 28, 2022
Public cemetery in this country?
They never leave the one wey dey alive come be dead ones!!
It lead to illegal mining booms for some people
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by tofolo(m): 10:15am On Apr 28, 2022
SKIBiNSKI:
You may be correct, also it would depend where your property is located, if it is attached with other houses it would be impossible to gate your house (the council may not allow it) but you own a country farm house outside the city you can do whatever you like on that property.

My point was one cannot bury a body in an apartment or in their back garden in a terrace house in the middle of New york or London. smiley
I totally agree with you bro, but the OP should modify his post, he made it look like its only African's that bury at their homes.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Relixy2k: 10:15am On Apr 28, 2022
Oga, your analysis no balance at all. The countries you keep comparing to Nigeria, are they earning 10k, 5k etc per month as salary where most govt parastatals can't pay the meagre 30k minimum wage. Is there social security fund in Nigeria? Nigeria is the unofficial poverty capital of the world with massive looting daily in govt, yet because you are unaffected, all you could say is make the people suffer more with increased levies. We humans so inconsiderate.
hammermcc:
Only in third world African countries do people bury the dead in their compound.even south Africa does not practice such . burying of the dead in their compound is bad for real estate.
I have mentioned on my other thread that Nigerian needs real estate land reform. we can not afford the current method if Nigeria will be developed.

In fact , most Nigerians do not pay property tax . and yet you expect roads and street lights and public amenities to be fixed? there needs to be compulsory property tax which will deter people from thinking the land belongs to them forever and therefore burying dead on the land.
people should pay heavy property tax if they want to own a home. if you can't afford property tax then rent an apartment.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by ford101: 10:16am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
No one has replied my suggestion about compulsory property tax. In Nigeria most people do not pay property tax both for land and house , Once you buy a land and build a house in Nigeria ,it's yours forever, that should not be the case. there must be compulsory property tax. the money will be used to build and maintain roads, street lights, waste removal, etc. Even if the land is empty , the land owner must be paying tax for that land. that will discourage people from fighting over land due to the responsibilities involved. Also, land owners would be encouraged to utilize profit from their land and property , in order to generate profit to maintain the land. For example , a landowner can use their land for agriculture to generate profit.

If a land owner or home owner defaults on payment of property tax, the land and house would be seized by the authorities .

Let me give you example, if Michael Jackson's Neverland was in Nigeria, he would not lose it because most Nigerians do not pay income tax, property tax ,sales tax ,etc.

There must also be compulsory insurance for all cars, whether the person is driving the car or not, he or she must pay insurance for that car . that will deter people from buying 10 cars . Also wrongful parking and overloading of vehicles must be heavily fined

we must learn from what other successful countries are doing and do the right thing or we will keep going in circles in the name of backward traditions and culture.
because your landlord isn't paying tax for his house doesn't mean that other people aren't paying.do your findings my family house in aba abia state we do pay every Yr.even shops in igbo land do pay tax.my old man do pay for his fire arm licence every year before the stopped giving licence

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by SKIBiNSKI(m): 10:16am On Apr 28, 2022
membranus:

With all the Jack Daniels and weeds you are depositing in the body, you still believe you will live to be 100 years old? Guy you must be in lalalaland.
My grand father was smoking weed and drinking whiskey till he was 89. It is not the whiskey or weed it is the amount people drink or smoke. One small shot of whiskey or a small wrap of weed 3 times a week isn't too much. grin grin i am not an addict or an alcoholic.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by tmoneyu: 10:16am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:
it has become a tradition in Nigeria that most corpses are usually buried in their compound instead of at a public cemetary. burying dead in their compound is bad for real estate business and land laws.

An example of this dilemma is the guy on this thread who was contemplating his family land with is mom's grave in the compound.

You can go and bury your father in the forest since it's ur choice, allow me to bury my parent in my compound.

https://www.nairaland.com/7093708/should-sell-late-mothers-house
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Brushstrokes20: 10:16am On Apr 28, 2022
Bullocks! If you or any doomed stray herders /greedy capitalists / criminal and greedy politicians dare encroach on the property I laid my mum rest on,
You won't live to tell the gory story cos....
I'LL BLOW YOUR DAMN BRAINS OFF! undecided NONSENSE ! undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by SKIBiNSKI(m): 10:17am On Apr 28, 2022
tofolo:
I totally agree with you bro, but the OP should modify his post, he made it look like its only African's that bury at their homes.
I agree! and as you have have pointed out already rightly, gated private properties can be up for sale.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by lexy2014: 10:17am On Apr 28, 2022
Urheadmaster:

Africans are blinded by culture.

It's only in Africa specially in Nigeria people bury their dead love one in the compound instead of cemetery sad

Who started the culture of burying their dead in the cemetery?
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by scuba3(m): 10:18am On Apr 28, 2022
MadamExcellency:

Well said. His choice, my choice.

The greedy capitalist is only interested in real estate and money and not ancestry, birthright, and lineage.
Aptly said. Must we always copy everything the white man does and jettison our culture in the process? Am not a proponent of polygamy but that's how the white man criminalize it and embrace same sex marriage, now Africans are equally embracing it on African soil.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by tarantino1: 10:19am On Apr 28, 2022
Una go dey jump 1,2,3,4 enter number 27.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by PARADIZEPRIEST: 10:19am On Apr 28, 2022
YOUR OPINION IS WORTHLESS AND WITHOUT FORmangry
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Neddyogu(m): 10:19am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:

What then is tenement rate if it's not a property tax? @op, do u own any landed property?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Ibime(m): 10:19am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:

Burying dead on your land is not illegal in USA, UK and many Western countries. There is no need to legislate against it. If someone buried on their land and need to sell it, that's their personal problem, not society problem. There are people who have land where they bury their dead and will never sell. They shouldn't be penalised for poor man problem, not to mention there are those wishing to be buried next to loved ones, whom this law will disenfranchise.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by sylve11: 10:19am On Apr 28, 2022
Veggieseedies:

This is becoming irritating for my liking.

I tell you... embarassed cool
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Etuagievin(m): 10:20am On Apr 28, 2022
ChoCho54:
Some people even bury their dead inside the room. It's barbaric.
What makes it barbaric?
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by ufotty2001: 10:20am On Apr 28, 2022
ChoCho54:
Some people even bury their dead inside the room. It's barbaric.
Over here in Port Harcourt. Especially the lkwerre people. They bury their dead once inside the house. If you are renting an apartment u need to be very careful
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by sylve11: 10:21am On Apr 28, 2022
adebayo987:
Op, don't be decieved... Even you, when you grow up, you'll see the advantage of burying in your compound! We're in Nigeria. Let other countries be in their countries and do their traditions there. Have you not read that after some time old graves will be reused for someone else while the former person buried their will be dugged out and disposed elsewhere? Or would you be happy to hear that your mum or dad's body was dugged and his grave was used to bury someone else especially when you don't have the money to pay after a certain time for his corpes to be retained? But at home, you're free. As for estates, you can do casting on the grave and use the land. Afterall, graves don't occupy large areas. So, it doesn't affect any estate.

He cares about his pockets only. cool
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by pchukwudi: 10:22am On Apr 28, 2022
A country where over 80% of the people are poor cannot tax it's people like the country where over 80% of the people are in the middle-class do.

If you want higher taxes, first design and (borrow money if necessary) to implement innovative economic and human resource development policies that lift the vast majority of the people from poverty, then you may (a) tax their profits minimally to encourage more productivity and (b) invest the tax proceeds judiciously and transparently into human and public infrastructures that reinforce and further escalate domestic productivity per capita.

The idea of using tax policies as a punitive measure against folks who succeed against all the odds thrown their ways by public irresponsibility is silly. The idea of robbing (taxing) the productive folks in order to reward the unproductive folks (indiscriminate social welfare for folks who refuse to work or take responsibility) is evil.

hammermcc:
Listen ,we we need to implement a strong institutional system of checks and balance which will close the current loopholes and eradicate massive corruption as currently going on in Nigeria. The loopholes are currently open that's why it's easy for public officer holders to embezzle without repercussion.
judiciary and legislature must be strongly separated in all possible ways .
if most of these are implemented, it wont matter where the governors and president is from? .
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Neddyogu(m): 10:22am On Apr 28, 2022
Na vagabonds, and irresponsible people wey no fit get property in their lifetime dem dey bury for public space in those days.
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Nobody: 10:22am On Apr 28, 2022
SKIBiNSKI:
Protection of dead people? undecided they are dead!

Okay o just try and see na body dey die but spirit dey live o

I remember when people were plotting my downfall all their fathers died back to back
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by Voiceofthestree: 10:24am On Apr 28, 2022
Urheadmaster:

Africans are blinded by culture.

It's only in Africa specially in Nigeria people bury their dead love one in the compound instead of cemetery sad

If you die tell your family to carry you go cemetery odeee
Re: Nigeria Should Ban Interment Of The Dead In Their Compound. by lexy2014: 10:24am On Apr 28, 2022
hammermcc:

Are u the one that will use the property tax to build and maintain roads, street lights, waste removal, etc.?

The countries that you say are successful, what makes them successful?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Lagos Demolishes 13 Illegal Buildings Along Airport Road / 3-storey Building Collapsed In Umuahia [PHOTOS, VIDEO] / Struggles Of Living In A Rented Face Me & Face You Compound (meme Collection)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.