Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,063 members, 7,814,659 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! (43087 Views)

My Landlady And Her Daughter Want To Finish Me! / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. / My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Dunga2345: 8:44pm On May 07, 2022
Mooh247:
cool

Over entitlement mentality on someone else property

You have 12 whole month to look for your next year rent and you claim you don't have it as at expiration of your rent

You felt too busy to attend meetings in the house you reside, meeting regarding welfare of the house which is part of your core responsibility as a tenant

Your fiancee had a quarel with the owner of the property

You cursed the caretaker of the property

You better start looking for a new place because highest you can get is 3 month from the reciept of the first notice

Shut up bro..You have no good contribution to make..
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by CoolAmbience(m): 8:45pm On May 07, 2022
Mooh247:
cool

You have 12 whole month to look for your next year rent and you claim you don't have it as at expiration of your rent

You felt too busy to attend meetings in the house you reside, meeting regarding welfare of the house which is part of your core responsibility as a tenant

You better start looking for a new place because highest you can get is 3 month from the reciept of the first notice

Mtchewww.

I do not see any sense of entitlement from what the OP narrated.

Some of these property owners always feel that they are superior to everyone else 'cos you live in their property.

So, OP's fiancee can't have a misunderstanding with the owner of the property they live in?

Landlords can take 12 months, or even more, of rent in advance, but it is an abomination for the tenant to delay rent renewal for a month or two, in the event of a financial setback, even when the tenant has been 'faithful' with their rent, in the past?

Why must a meeting of tenants be fixed on a weekday? What happens to weekends when most, if not everyone, would be available?

To go court just dey hungry OP landlord, and e go shock am say e no go be as e think am.

My former landlord did something similar, and regretted it. He eventually got his lawyer to beg my lawyer for an out of court settlement.

My landlord went as far as cutting off water supply to my flat, before even proceeding to the court; and did not say a word about it. I just allowed him to keep bragging until the matter landed in court. I stayed for 13 months without giving him a dime. The court kept adjourning. At a time, the entire judiciary went on strike. The man almost died of wickedness-induced heart pain.

OP abeg just find another place as quickly as you can. Some landlords, just as some tenants, no be am at all.

3 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Simpubozz(m): 8:46pm On May 07, 2022
Heathrow44:

Ask for an extension/grace period but op pack out of the house, u are not the owner ok! unless u want to sleep in prison u would be arrested on sat, so that u can stay there sun, Mon then Tuesday u would be released! God help u if IPOB don't issue another two day sit at home, then u.would be out on friday! tell buhari to stay out of SE region then
Lol calm down Boss. I no b OP na grin
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by torqque7(m): 8:46pm On May 07, 2022
Anakazo22:

Na God go punish you for this rubbish when you type since you don't know how to read, if you have nothing meaningful to say just shut up, what do you mean by entitlement mentality, so as a tenant you expect him to be licking her landlady shoes abi, you think in a sane country where the law is working fine this kind of landlady can't get away with this, it's because we are in Nigeria a corrupt country that's why you think a landlord will just wake up one morning and served quit notice.
If I may ask, what kind of meeting are they holding. I think people like you are part of the reason Nigeria is this bad and lawless

Funny enough the irony of this whole thing is that it is people like YOU who are the problem of Nigeria. You are talking about in developed countries things like these can't happen,of course because mechanisms have been put in place to ensure you pay your rent. Have you ever heard someone owed rent and wasn't evicted in the so called developed countries you talk about? Countries that ensure that you pay all your bills or get cut off the services.

3 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by AroOkigbo(m): 8:46pm On May 07, 2022
God1000:
they are not being kind to him
His rent expired last month! If it's a bank loan, won't he pay with interest?

I hate it when a tenant owes, and still exhibit this kind of entitlement.

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Simpubozz(m): 8:48pm On May 07, 2022
TCD:

Thats not the landlords business. You are not entitled to her house she built with her own money. The law says 6 months notice , after 6 months you can be evicted legally.
Ok sir . But I guess one can still ask for a little grace , may b 2-3months
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by MemoriesAndMe: 8:52pm On May 07, 2022
Mooh247:

I have handled horrible tenants before and I know how it feels.... They would start qouting humam right over your sweat and blood even without contributing a bag of cement to you

Yup. That's what happens these days. Tenants tend to go overboard cos of the weak legal system in Nigeria. My brother ended up taking 3 of his tenants to court to evict them and they refused paying him rent for over a year.

I have two empty flats in my house in Lagos and refused to rent them to any tenant cos I don't want any tenant problem. How much do they even pay for the rent a year when I spent way more than that on just the tiles for their flats alone, let alone the doors, electricals and everything that comes with a house?

So I prefer to occupy the entire place alone with my family and probably place maids, drivers etc in flats I originally intended to rent out. At least those wont stress me when I think they should leave.

4 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by pocohantas(f): 8:55pm On May 07, 2022
Udemzy05:

The funny thing is if you go against their rule,you automatically turn an enemy, because he or she is the owner of the building,you must do whatever they say,and when you don't,you're labeled a bad person.

Most yorubas are ass lickers, that's why you see some landlord saying they want only Yoruba tenants because those ones will gladly do anything they say or want unlike Omo igbo.

I don’t call it asslicking, I call it TACT. It is how smart people stay alive while the supposedly brave ones die unnecessarily. Look at how Igbos are turning the SE to a deadzone with misplaced bravado.

I am Igbo and one of our biggest issues is we have no regard for constituted authority. We stayed on our own and invalidated the value of our traditional rulership, because every man is a king in his own house. Especially the one that has money.

I am far from an asslicker. In fact, I am a very rebellious entity. However, I have respect for leadership. There is how you handle a landlord/landlady, they would know underneath you are a mad person, but you are just giving them their respect. Except the owner of the house is plain difficult, then you shouldn’t even be living there. The time you use in fighting them, use it to build your own house or move out. I see no need for some kind shouting Nigerians engage in every other day. Totally pointless.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by VanBommel(m): 8:55pm On May 07, 2022
Mooh247:
cool

go and pursue him na, osinwin undecided
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Mcslize: 8:57pm On May 07, 2022
Simpubozz:

What if one hasn’t seen a place to rent within that 6months??

There are houses. The problem is that most people looking for a house, their budget is always a problem.

If the money is there, he will see a house within 3 days. But if he is working based on budget, it will take him time to find the one that he will like that will meet his budget as well.

There are alot of new apartments springing up every now and then but the rent na die.

5 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by AlongCamePollie(m): 8:58pm On May 07, 2022
Mooh247:
cool

Yours is such an unreasonable remark, sadly. You are wicked,let's face it. shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by favour32(m): 8:59pm On May 07, 2022
If you are a yearly tenant.
you have got 6 months to leave that property.But you will pay that 6 months.

3 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Obagreatdatoye(m): 9:00pm On May 07, 2022
The Op might be an Igbo person..... that's y it's very hard to get an apartment for Igbo in Lagos......if u doubt me...ask landlords around

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by attah38(m): 9:03pm On May 07, 2022
Lakatabah:
Nairalanders, I need your help.

I just moved into this new apartment and within a month to the expiration of my rent, I got a call from the caretaker to see him and he told me they would be is increasing the rent unless I renew before it expires but I didn't have it at that moment and pleaded but he said that's the decision of the owners of the house.

The landlady leaves in the building as well but the caretaker receives rent payment and all for reasons best known to them.

I went to see the landlady and she stood her ground that if I can't pay I should leave. Well, I could deduce her actions for doing this as she had a quarrel with my fiancee and it has been settled but she still had it in her mind.

I don't why people have dumb mentality. A landlady and a tenant cannot quarrel and settle in peace anymore.

I choose to pay the rent increase last year in order to let peace reign. On a norms, I would never pay for such an increase( I mean from 200k to 250k) Now, I just got a letter delivered to me this morning which is a notice to quit as my rent just expired last month.

Normally, when my rent expires or about to, the caretaker will call me and ask when will I be renewing it but this time I didn't get anyone at all which means they actually planned it before now.

They didn't even call me for a meeting to discuss, who does that?

And on the letter, there was no reason stated on the quit notice and it's a 6 months eviction notice. I spoke to my lawyer and she said that's how they do these days issuing quit notice without prior notification even when you're paying constantly.

When I went to see the caretaker, he told me it was because I was absent in the last meeting that was held in the compound. What trash! I rained curses on him to the extent that he couldn't voice out a word again. Apparently, he was shocked as I'm always very gentle.

Are they sharing money in the meeting or what? Or I would leave my business and be in a meeting on a weekday when I can always get what was discussed in the meeting from people that were there.

The reason didn't even go down well with me as it got me really annoyed. I have decided to park out but I want to make sure they see pepper.

Can I stay up to a year or more before moving out?

Please I need your advice, thoughts, and ideas. Thanks in advance and pardon my typos as I'm typing from my phone.
[color=#990000][/color] once Your rent expires, you're only entitle to statutory notice as the tenancy law of that jurisdiction provides or if it is so provided in the tenancy agreement.
If you decide to stay up till 1 year and your Landlady applies to the court to recover possession, you will pay arrears of rent starting from the date the notice to quit expires.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by princewarri1985: 9:03pm On May 07, 2022
What that notice simply imply is that you are going to stay 6 months free without paying rent! Thats blessing in disguise! You ought to be dancing now. Use that 6 months to save up and get another apartment, all these landlord mumu sha i swear

2 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by nams77: 9:04pm On May 07, 2022
bigdammyj:
Reading...

Modified

Look for money and get another accomodation as fast as you can. Do not wait for the 6months to meet you there, else, that caretaker will get back at you.

Aswear!
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by edungene7: 9:04pm On May 07, 2022
[quote author=God1000 post=112604340]
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Okobola146: 9:04pm On May 07, 2022
She wan fok you, give am small make she chop, if you play your game well and she enjoys you, you no go dey pay house rent again and if you dey very fast, the house fit end up being your own
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by AroOkigbo(m): 9:06pm On May 07, 2022
CoolAmbience:

Mtchewww.

I do not see any sense of entitlement from what the OP narrated.

Some of these property owners always feel that they are superior to everyone else 'cos you live in their property.

So, OP's fiancee can't have a misunderstanding with the owner of the property they live in?

Landlords can take 12 months, or even more, of rent in advance, but it is an abomination for the tenant to delay rent renewal for a month or two, in the event of a financial setback, even when the tenant has been 'faithful' with their rent, in the past?

Why must a meeting of tenants be fixed on a weekday? What happens to weekends when most, if not everyone, would be available?

To go court just dey hungry OP landlord, and e go shock am say e no go be as e think am.

My former landlord did something similar, and regretted it. He eventually got his lawyer to beg my lawyer for an out of court settlement.

My landlord went as far cutting off water supply to my flat, before even proceeding to the court; and did not say a word about it. I just allowed him to keep bragging until the matter landed in court. I stayed for 13 months without giving him a dime. The court kept adjourning. At a time, the entire judiciary went on strike. The man almost died of wickedness-induced heart pain.

OP abeg just find another place as quickly as you can. Some landlords, just as some tenants, no be am at all.

That landlord is a good man. ..don't ask me how. I've seen a landlord at Ibadan dat you'll have paid with your life within those 13 months.
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by DanjaNinja(m): 9:07pm On May 07, 2022
Emily22:
Your fiancee had a quarrel with your own landlady and you believed it's over, if we observe your babe, she no even reach the woman first child age.

Anyways, it's her house and her decision is final...enjoy the 6 month and please move out in peace cuz if you try to stay more than that 6 month.....it won't end well

If you like, rain curses on the caretaker, you will only make it worse during the 6 months..

Just leave the house in peace , don't even try to pay the 250k cuz the hatred is obvious now

He would still need to pay the rent for the duration of the quit notice. Quit notice doesn't mean free rent.

3 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Taeewo(m): 9:08pm On May 07, 2022
Ur fiance had a quarel with elderly woman.... When una pack go another place she go still beat elderly landlord again and another quit notice will be issue.... Egbon talk to you wife to dey calm down,and its not good to quarel with you landlord cus you will do same if you in the landlady position..

1 Like

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by torqque7(m): 9:09pm On May 07, 2022
CoolAmbience:

Mtchewww.

I do not see any sense of entitlement from the OP.

Some of these property owners always feel that they are superior to everyone else 'cos you live on their property.

Landlords can take 12 months, or even more, of rent in advance, but it is an abomination for the tenant to delay rent renewal for a month or two, in the event of a financial setback?

Why must a meeting of tenants be fixed on a weekday? What happens to during the weekend when most, if not everyone, would be available?

My former landlord did something similar, and regretted it. He eventually got his lawyer to beg my lawyer for an out of court settlement. He messed up fulltime by cutting off water supply to my flat, and did say a word about it. I allowed him to keep bragging until the matter land for court. I stayed for 13 months without giving him a dime. The court kept adjourning. At a time, the entire judiciary went on strike. The man almost died.

You are lucky your landlord didn't go spiritual on you. People just draw unnecessary problems for themselves..

I once stayed in a compound and my neighbour had issues with our landlord and was trying to frustrate the man telling him that he must stay a year without paying rent las las to teach The landlord a bitter lesson of his life. The landlord just laughed and made a statement about the tenant using his legs to packout with fire. Omoh barely two weeks the tenant started complaining of his leg o that it was feeling Numb like he slept on it,like play like play the next day Baba leg don swell like balloon and he was saying it felt like fire and he said it was the landlord o,no be small matter cos the landlord denied being responsible,come see begging now nobody tell am again he moved out immediately.

O boy me self Japa from that compound immediately my rent expire I didn't renew. The guy could have just avoided this problem and move out peacefully,in the end he was afflicted and he still moved out in shame. Since then I just pity people I see trying to frustrate their landlords cos they don't know the kind of problems they may end up having because of the fight with landlord.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by DanjaNinja(m): 9:10pm On May 07, 2022
God1000:
they are not being kind to him

It is business. They don't owe him kindness. Also, if you read his message you would notice he is a terrible, trouble making tenant.

3 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Nonexisting: 9:10pm On May 07, 2022
Greatzeus:
@lakatabah,a lady you haven't married, already quarreling with your landlady? Now her action has led to you been evicted. I pity you,infarct I pity your mother most,your fiancée looks like someone that will show her in laws shege. I pity you too bro.
Spot on. That vaginarian will put him in more trouble if care is not taken. He said he is the gentle type but now, the mumu fiance has pushed him to become a mad man with matches at filling station.
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by bomasek(m): 9:11pm On May 07, 2022
aribisala0:
What is the dispute?
Simply a delay tactics to enable him buy time to gather funds and move out
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by harmony75: 9:11pm On May 07, 2022
The landlord is unfair.. Yes you can stay 1year make sure no demages why will you give a new tanent quit notice because of fight, we fight and settle. Just hope your fiancee is not a trouble maker. Is money easy to get with agents fee and moving with renovation stay the 6 months to 1year may God give you a place of peace �
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by blackgold2018(m): 9:12pm On May 07, 2022
Lakatabah:
Nairalanders, I need your help.

I just moved into this new apartment and within a month to the expiration of my rent, I got a call from the caretaker to see him and he told me they would be is increasing the rent unless I renew before it expires but I didn't have it at that moment and pleaded but he said that's the decision of the owners of the house.

The landlady leaves in the building as well but the caretaker receives rent payment and all for reasons best known to them.

I went to see the landlady and she stood her ground that if I can't pay I should leave. Well, I could deduce her actions for doing this as she had a quarrel with my fiancee and it has been settled but she still had it in her mind.

I don't why people have dumb mentality. A landlady and a tenant cannot quarrel and settle in peace anymore.

I choose to pay the rent increase last year in order to let peace reign. On a norms, I would never pay for such an increase( I mean from 200k to 250k) Now, I just got a letter delivered to me this morning which is a notice to quit as my rent just expired last month.

Normally, when my rent expires or about to, the caretaker will call me and ask when will I be renewing it but this time I didn't get anyone at all which means they actually planned it before now.

They didn't even call me for a meeting to discuss, who does that?

And on the letter, there was no reason stated on the quit notice and it's a 6 months eviction notice. I spoke to my lawyer and she said that's how they do these days issuing quit notice without prior notification even when you're paying constantly.

When I went to see the caretaker, he told me it was because I was absent in the last meeting that was held in the compound. What trash! I rained curses on him to the extent that he couldn't voice out a word again. Apparently, he was shocked as I'm always very gentle.

Are they sharing money in the meeting or what? Or I would leave my business and be in a meeting on a weekday when I can always get what was discussed in the meeting from people that were there.

The reason didn't even go down well with me as it got me really annoyed. I have decided to park out but I want to make sure they see pepper.

Can I stay up to a year or more before moving out?

Please I need your advice, thoughts, and ideas. Thanks in advance and pardon my typos as I'm typing from my phone.
MOVE OUT!!!

I agree with your land lady and care taker. You are obviously a trouble maker

3 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by DanjaNinja(m): 9:12pm On May 07, 2022
princewarri1985:
What that notice simply imply is that you are going to stay 6 months free without paying rent! Thats blessing in disguise! You ought to be dancing now. Use that 6 months to save up and get another apartment, all these landlord mumu sha i swear

Your ignorance on tenancy law is appalling. Quit notice doesn't mean free rent. You must still pay for the 6months. People like you are the reason i can never own a property in Nigerian. Too much lawlessness.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by edungene7: 9:12pm On May 07, 2022
AlongCamePollie:

Yours is such an unreasonable remark, sadly. You are wicked,let's face it. shocked shocked
you must be one of the wicked property owners in Lagos the young man was seeking advice not bashing if e easy make the landlady leave Lagos go abuja go rent house because she be landlady person no go breath in peace if country no hard where u dey country hard where others dey she get luck if nah me I go lock that room for two years if she get mind make she break am she go pay tired
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by TCD: 9:13pm On May 07, 2022
Simpubozz:

Ok sir . But I guess one can still ask for a little grace , may b 2-3months
Yes you can. But its totally at the discretion of the landlord to grant it or not.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by Orch1981: 9:14pm On May 07, 2022
Mooh247:
cool

The landlady must be a Yoruba that is how they behave they always want you to worship them like god with there useless brown roof house nonsence
Re: My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! by aribisala0(m): 9:14pm On May 07, 2022
bomasek:
Simply a delay tactics to enable him buy time to gather funds and move out
So there is no dispute?
Even as a delay tactic you must state something as a dispute when you get to the dispute resolution body? Or you say it is tactic?
If you have a fixed term tenancy and the term is up what is the dispute?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Building A Student Hostel : Profitability And Challenges / Buying A House Or Building From Scratch: Which Is Cheaper? / How Do We Eject These Stubborn Tenants In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.