Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,957 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:48 AM

Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? (27901 Views)

UAE Lifts Travel Restrictions On Nigeria, 11 Other African Countries / Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Brownbetsport24: 12:13pm On Nov 04, 2023
judedwriter:

Despite the harsh economy, there's more money to make in Nigeria (population explosion) than benin republic.. Ironic isn't it?

Rich folks see prospects in Nigeria while poor see the negative, rich businessman are enjoying our population

10 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Great0ne1: 12:14pm On Nov 04, 2023
digitite:
For me, Egypt anytime, anyday. Food , housing, transportation, services and ICT cheap.

Women work as home makers . Men work in factories and english language jobs or start a business.
I love this kind of set up

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Hamachi(f): 12:14pm On Nov 04, 2023
For a foreigner they would be alot happier because they won't see the dark side but only the beaches,Hotels and The Nile, There are some factors for egypt to become a hard place as listed below:

-Everything is over-priced.
-Democracy is at it's lowest as you can say.
-The buildings and living places are in bad places and not officialy planned, it is changing now but will take alot.
-The egyptians themselves have bad traits in them like throwing trash and spitting on the streets and most of them do not follow an Etiquette.
-Rich people are always the top, a middle class family is treated like the poor one.
-Searching for a job nowdays with a good salary is like searching for a ring in the ocean.
-The new generation is becoming uneducated because of the lack of great educational systems.
-You can get easily jailed for complaining about political topics.
Many don't like the president and few love him so it makes the country unbalanced.
There are many other factors but those are the main noticable things about living in egypt. (This writer wrote this 5years ago)
LegitDiva:

Why would I go back to pharaoh
Egyptian capital, Cairo, I have also lived in 5 different cities in 5 different continents, I can tell you that it’s unlike any place you have lived in and will probably ever live in. It’s beautiful, chaotic, mystifying and haphazard all at the same time.

As a foreigner, your experience in Egypt will really depend on where you come from. As much as I hate to admit it, the majority of Egyptians are to an extent weary of foreigners even though Egypt is historically a touristic country. That being said, Egyptians will almost always welcome ‘white’ foreigners with open arms as it is a stigma in the Egyptian culture that tourists from developed countries bring along sufficient funds to pump cashflow into the country’s economy. Your experience will also greatly depend on your gender, as it is much easier to navigate Egypt as a male than it is do as a female.
Another major factor that you’d also want to take into consideration is where in Egypt you want to go, since Egypt is a relatively large country where each city demands a different lifestyle. If you relocate to Cairo, you will find that it looks similar to many capitals in the developing world, with affluent high-rise building overshadowing impoverished slums. If you move to one of the coastal cities though, like Sharm Al Sheikh or Dahab, you would find much less urban development and much more lavish resorts and mesmerizing scenery.

The best advice that I can give you is to make friends fast, since it’s so much easier to explore Egypt when you’re accompanied by locals and that’s because most of the true Egyptian beauty lies way off the beaten track. The one undisputed upside though is that Egypt is ridiculously cheap compared to other major destinations around the world, especially if your local currency is a valuable one (i.e USD, GBP, EUR, AUD, CAD, etc.). For instance, $100 USD translates to 1,680 Egyptian Pounds as of May 2019, which is well above the prevalent monthly minimum wage in Egypt. By all measures, you can live a very comfortable life in Egypt as a single traveler on $500 USD per month.

The one thing that you need to be vigilant about is to try and minimize your interactions with government representatives or Egyptian police as much as possible, as the bureaucracy could be soul crushing to the untrained.

But besides all that, as long as you remain vigilant and manage your expectations, you’re possibly going to have the best time of your life, if only for a short time.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by porthouse7(f): 12:15pm On Nov 04, 2023
Tijani009:

Share your reasons please
Less than 4k will take u , go and see for urself

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Hamachi(f): 12:17pm On Nov 04, 2023
Oluwomonext212:
Help you pay what ?? Only a kind hearted person will give you a two weeks shelter with nothing in returns. Abroad not for the faint heart, you work everyday to eat and pay bills and save. No short cut, ur get what u work and pay what u use. But las las u go dey alright. Like you said, naija is cheap but yet not easy looking at masses income cry cry cry
Unlike Nigeria, my Aunt who is there works two jobs and take off only on Mondays.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Hamachi(f): 12:21pm On Nov 04, 2023
Tijani009:

Share your reasons please
I can confidently say that the crime rate here is considerably low. Not so high development but good maintenance culture for the existing infrastructures. Good electricity and water supply, makes life a lot easier. Now for you as a young adult, you are open to many study opportunities as there are numerous private universities and higher institutions of learning with lenient entry requirements.

You can also easily start something good for yourself as new ideas and innovations are favorably welcome by the general public. The cost of living here is also low compared to other neighboring countries (Ghana and Nigeria) so getting a good life here isn’t a decade’s journey. But you may have to battle with the language aspect if you are not a “francophonie” or don’t have a basic knowledge of french language which is the official language here. You can however easily learn at the numerous language centers and also from the environment.
Bonne chance!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Tijani009: 12:53pm On Nov 04, 2023
Hamachi:
I can confidently say that the crime rate here is considerably low. Not so high development but good maintenance culture for the existing infrastructures. Good electricity and water supply, makes life a lot easier. Now for you as a young adult, you are open to many study opportunities as there are numerous private universities and higher institutions of learning with lenient entry requirements.

You can also easily start something good for yourself as new ideas and innovations are favorably welcome by the general public. The cost of living here is also low compared to other neighboring countries (Ghana and Nigeria) so getting a good life here isn’t a decade’s journey. But you may have to battle with the language aspect if you are not a “francophonie” or don’t have a basic knowledge of french language which is the official language here. You can however easily learn at the numerous language centers and also from the environment.
Bonne chance!
I am serving in burgu local govt of niger state nigeria, just a three hours ride to benin republic, less than #5000 for transport fair, what kind of small scale business can on start up, and are there job oppotunities too, like i could relocate if i can get a decent job

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by patorial(m): 12:55pm On Nov 04, 2023
Mode99:
which investment can I go into,,with a budget of 2 million....I was thinking,,a hair salon for male and femal

These are not investments, its a business. Investment doesn't require you to run the activities.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by olamilarks(m): 1:13pm On Nov 04, 2023
Make una continue to dey play, Egyptians all over Naija selling Rashnik home appliances in rickety cars, the females looking to recruit chagala for housework. Some people will give birth to half Egyptian in a refugee camp.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Hamachi(f): 1:19pm On Nov 04, 2023
Tijani009:

I am serving in burgu local govt of niger state nigeria, just a three hours ride to benin republic, less than #5000 for transport fair, what kind of small scale business can on start up, and are there job oppotunities too, like i could relocate if i can get a decent job
Can you speak French?
Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by olamilarks(m): 1:20pm On Nov 04, 2023
Tijani009:

According to a recent thread on NL "Benin republic has lots of opportunities in English language schools (Schools that cater for the Nigerian community), opportunities in trading and if you're skilled in handworks i.e fashion design, plumbing and auto repair." The Thread
Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Possessedkid: 1:37pm On Nov 04, 2023
Bifwoli:
Why are you guys emigrating to other countries to be small time street traders? No country need such petty immigrants .African countries need to adopt USA and Australia style of only absorbing highly skilled immigrants such as engineers,scientists and minimum $1m dollar investors.

Mugu

You know nothing about those skills you look down

In the UK hairdressing pays af and barbing hairs pay af in the US

Everyone mustn't be a white collar personnel

I choose that skill over a bûllshit mediocre white collar job that's not meaningful
Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Gerrard59(m): 1:53pm On Nov 04, 2023
Bifwoli:
Why are you guys emigrating to other countries to be small time street traders? No country need such petty immigrants .African countries need to adopt USA and Australia style of only absorbing highly skilled immigrants such as engineers,scientists and minimum $1m dollar investors.

Na wetin dey vex Southern African countries with the rest of the continent. It is why they will never issue visa free status like Rwanda and Kenya.

Possessedkid:

Mugu

You know nothing about those skills you look down

In the UK hairdressing pays af and barbing hairs pay af in the US

Everyone mustn't be a white collar personnel

I choose that skill over a bûllshit mediocre white collar job that's not meaningful

For citizens? Yes. But no country will issue you, an immigrant, a work visa to become a hairdresser.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Gerrard59(m): 1:55pm On Nov 04, 2023
digitite:

Egyptians are not racist. They are the best people I have ever come across. In all my stays, I wore Crucifix and would enter the roughest of neighbourhood as a church boy in the midst of learned sheiks to do computer courses. What did you do to them ?

Maybe you go dey form Americana. Haha. They love Africans and you find genuine pan africanist there and sometimes they are frustrated at our slave like mentality. There is no office in Egypt that denied me any documents or favour.

I stayed in Wadi-hof, a stone throw to Helwan University and the military barack and would always visit Nigerians in Nasr city and Maadi. Infact during the Revolution that toppled Mubarak, my customers ( Egyptians ) called and asked if i needed anything and my landlords ( Black and Arab Egyptians would wait for my transfer that can take weeks to settle the rents ). Even when i came out to assist in securing the neighbourhood from runaway prisoners, they asked me not to worry and to go back to my apartment.

If you are familiar training with their footballers. We hung out at Wadi Degla, Zamalek academies and with top Nigerian stars at Arab contractors, Tanta and so on and countless of us that went on trials and transfers to Europe, Middle East, Asia and Australia.

Or na their solid babes you want marry ? Just look clean. More beautiful than westernised girls and they dont look down on you. If not for Israel , na them we prefer ooo.

Whats your experience ?

I like your experience. Something different to what most netizens have read/watched about the being black in Egypt.

Thank you.
Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Gerrard59(m): 2:05pm On Nov 04, 2023
Angelfrost:

With all due respect, no Nigerian has a right to call a fellow African nation racist or xenophobic.

What most of you do to fellow Nigerians in Nigeria and outside Nigeria is no different.

THANK YOU!!!!

The annoying thing be say dem poor well with their brutish tribalism!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Possessedkid: 2:13pm On Nov 04, 2023
Gerrard59:

Na wetin dey vex Southern African countries with the rest of the continent. It is why they will never issue visa free status like Rwanda and Kenya.

For citizens? Yes. But no country will issue you, an immigrant, a work visa to become a hairdresser.

Yes for citizens

If you have developed your skill well and opened branches , you can apply for professional work visa as far say money day your account
Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Gerrard59(m): 2:14pm On Nov 04, 2023
Hamachi:
I know of 16 people who have come to Nigeria for vacation and this are foreigners o! They ALL said the bolded.
One in particular said who will you see to come to help you buy something in your neighborhood in America or come pick you up at the airport, that they are all busy.

That is because of unemployment. So, they have time to indulge in non-productive activities. How come Nigerians who just relocated to developed countries don't replicate the same? Because they have productive activities to perform, rather than being errand boys and girls.

Nobody would help you with your bills but here in Nigeria friends or family can help you with rent. Food transportation and having fun is cheap in Nigeria.

That is largely cultural and part of the reasons why people are not able to save more money because they have to pay one black tax or the other. knowingly or unknowingly.

Another one of them explained when someone came to pick him from airport to a hotel on the island and the driver said the fare was 15k, he gave the driver 50k because it was damn to cheap

Nigeria is extremely cheap.

Apart from Singapore, Switzerland and the US, anyone who earns in dollars and spends in a different currency will find the place cheap. Standards may differ, but the prices would be very low for the American consumer. Now, think if a Nigerian earning naira will pay N50K for a taxi ride. grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Gerrard59(m): 2:16pm On Nov 04, 2023
Possessedkid:

Yes for citizens

If you have developed your skill well and opened branches , you can apply for professional work visa as far say money day your account

Again, for citizens, those benefits are easy to come by. However, no country, in Africa or elsewhere, will issue you a work visa as an immigrant to become a hairdresser. So, yes, you must do a white collar job whether you like it or not because that is the standard route of entry.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by koning: 2:23pm On Nov 04, 2023
The Gambia and Rwanda on my mind. However, i will be moving out from Europe, not Naija.
Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by GoodRocks: 2:38pm On Nov 04, 2023
BigBashiru:

They aren't....Egypt is part of Africa....

Dey play!

Even SA are racists, let alone Egyptians!

U think north Africa countries considers themselves as Africans? Dude when they talk about about blacks, na Nigeria and West Africa along with East Africa dem dey talk about. North Africa no join

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Ihaveleftnaija: 2:56pm On Nov 04, 2023
ghettochild4u:
It's better here in SA than that shit hole

You can talk or complement your new country but there's no need to insult Naija in the process. Lack of home training isn't to be displayed in public.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Ihaveleftnaija: 2:59pm On Nov 04, 2023
GO0DHardDick:

Dey play!

U think north Africa countries considers themselves as Africans? Dude when they talk about about blacks, na Nigeria and West Africa along with East Africa dem dey talk about. North Africa no join

How can SA be racists when they are black or are you talking about the whites ?

They do consider themselves Africsns just not blacks , but Arab Africans cheesy. So what do they consider the Africans in Southern Africa if blacks are West and East Africans ?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by oxiide22(m): 3:00pm On Nov 04, 2023
digitite:

My pleasure. Goodluck.
bro
Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by brawlings(m): 3:01pm On Nov 04, 2023
The thread is quite informative. All in all, what I've been able to decode is the essence of acquiring & mastering a skill, (be it digitail or vocational) in addition to your B.Sc/M.Sc-it broadens your chances of settling in much faster as well as access to opportunities. Social, emotional and financial intelligence are relevant too JUST to avoid one from becoming a BINGO in a foreign land.
Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Ihaveleftnaija: 3:08pm On Nov 04, 2023
Bifwoli:

But you must consider that most African countries are poor and the economies are informal and most people only live on such businesses. But I do understand the frustrations of the much developed African countries that are a magnet to migrants from the poorer countries as most of these migrants bring no investment or job creating businesses, they're just taking up space. But if the Canada way was adopted by such countries would there even be immigrants from other African nations? Wouldn't we be going backwards interms of integration?
Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by BigBashiru: 3:09pm On Nov 04, 2023
GO0DHardDick:

Dey play!

Egyptians consider themselves Africans....
Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Ihaveleftnaija: 3:14pm On Nov 04, 2023
BigBashiru:

Egyptians consider themselves Africans....

But do they associate willingly and freely with other Africans as they do with Arabs from the middle East ?
Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Nov 04, 2023
Dubai is nice
Atiku is back to Dubai, life is bubbling once again, Atiku is coming back 2 Nigeria in 2027.
Customer dada
Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Kobojunkie: 3:21pm On Nov 04, 2023
Munachimso30:
■ Egyptians are more than racist, my own experience reach sokoto undecided
More racist than Nigerians are towards their fellow Nigerians in Nigeria and abroad? undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by planetx: 3:25pm On Nov 04, 2023
digitite:

Business is easy and cheap to run there. If you have a good template, you can start with $1000 ( 6 months plan before you start profiting, although it can be instant depending on your expertise. Just look for an african or others to share rent with and pay your share of $100 a month. And use it to always renew your permit but try to learn French, Arabic, Greek, Italian and Hebrew. These are the peoples heritage.

Gas, electricity, water and internet ( unlimited including wifi ) is cheap. Highest you pay a month for all these is $30 . If you want to share guest house with backpackers from all over the world, you can get for $5 per day downtown Tahir square.

Before AirBnB became popular, I ran the service by accommating tourist, sports and businessmen that paid me since i lived in a secured estate and kept my apartment clean.

I also did import and export brokerage by bringing in goods, clearing and shipping them to Nigeria as their tariff is very low and most goods and services are subsidized. Their Pharmaceuticals is great if they can allow you carry it pending you have license.

Some Nigerians ran Cyber cafe, Grocery stores, Textiles ( Egypt got cotton ), Cargo, football and recruitment agency and they rarely cause trouble. Inflation always low. One hardly go broke or homeless because there is real value for money.

If you earn $1000 a month there and save $500 a month after living very comfortably in an accessible estate, you will detest the West and their overhyped media. Ancient countries is like a school, one is always learning and that makes you earn.
So why haven't they taken in all the millions of Palestinians suffering right next to them in Gaza and being bombed to smithereens.
Re: Nigerians In Other African Countries, How Is Life? by Ihaveleftnaija: 3:25pm On Nov 04, 2023
Kobojunkie:
More racist than Nigerians are towards their fellow Nigerians in Nigeria and abroad? undecided

You know na, Nigerians love being victims more than objectivity cheesy. Our condemnation culture is what makes us look like cry babies and hypocrites to outsiders lol. We hate fellow Nigerians but we cry out and play victim when we receive the same hate from outsiders.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Fatal Accident In Bauchi Kills Passengers, Others Injured (Graphic Photos) / Lady Who Rescued Accident Victims In Lagos Narrates Her Ordeal. Photos / The Alagbole-Yokoyo Flyover Is Near Completion (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.