Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,756 members, 7,820,624 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:26 PM

Are Introverts Born Or Made? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are Introverts Born Or Made? (22967 Views)

If You Are To Choose: To Be Born Or Not To Be Born, Which Would You Choose? / Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People / Are Introverts Shy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by hermesprogidy(m): 7:41pm On Jun 12, 2022
It's both. But the notion of classifying people into strict personality types, is erroneous. The innate ability to adapt and blend into the demands of our environment, makes it somewhat silly to say categorically that people are either introverted or extroverted.
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by Heterodox(m): 7:53pm On Jun 12, 2022
Bluezy13:

I have duly and meticulously perused the Schizoid personality that you suggested.
I will do well to neglect your abuse of my opinion for saying that I am not up to date.

Your mention of my remark and subsequent accusation would have been avoided if you were patient enough to read through... thoroughly...my communication with the poster I mentioned.
This is because, after a careful and elaborate argument that took us days in this particular thread, we were able to reach and understanding of which he...the poster I mentioned... judiciously understood my opinion.

Anyways, thanks for referring me to the Schizoid personality (although it was inconsequential to the bone of contention).

Modified
I just figured that the original 2nd and third pages of this thread have been erased by the moderators.
Consequently, I do not have time to start the argument with you too.
You have an issue.

Treat it first.
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by Johel(m): 8:03pm On Jun 12, 2022
ashewoboy:
Let's discuss. I want to find out something.

We were born... I'm core introvert...I hate people,I love my bed and house more.

1 Like

Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by kumulus(m): 8:25pm On Jun 12, 2022
I would think man was born empty/plain/void..... everything else followed after birth. Some he dropped by the wayside, others grew as he grew because he held on to them. As long as he has breath in his body, he'll keep learning and unlearning wether consciously or unconsciously.

Personalities are formed/made.
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by Bluezy13(m): 8:26pm On Jun 12, 2022
Heterodox:
You have an issue.

Treat it first.

Hmmm...

You wrongly mentioned me.
Check the moniker again
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by Munzy14(m): 8:35pm On Jun 12, 2022
Bahamas95:
Terror? Lol, no am not.
Only people who ain't used to me would call me that, once you get used to me you would find out am very simple. It's just that I don't tolerate nonsense, before you say or do anything with me you must apply caution. I am like a cutlass with both sides, (Sharp and blunt) I show you any side you want.

As for my love life I can't date or marry an extrovert, I tried it before it didn't work out I had to let her go. My present girlfriend is an ambivert and we're doing well. According to what she told me she fell in love with me because of my calm nature.

When she came to the hostel I was the last guy to talk to her, I didn't know she was itching to have a conversation with me but didn't know how to start it because she was kinda shy/scared.

She has gotten used to me now but some of her friends are still finding it difficult to understand me. One was telling her the other day that she doesn't know when am angry or happy........I can't believe someone said that about me. grin

grin grin
Thats cool...

Ambivert lady is cool as well..Women seems to be connected when you don't give them that desired attention that much cheesy

More like intriguing.

She is the only one that needs to understand you jaree..Her friends no follow...To maintain the boundary.

1 Like

Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by Abakelawal(f): 8:41pm On Jun 12, 2022
Mine is made oooo... And am tired of being an introvert
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by staticoko(m): 9:03pm On Jun 12, 2022
This is me in person..
I was the only child for 11yrs, my dad was a naval personnel and wouldn't want me to miggle with other barrack children... I don't like visiting friends and I prefer them not visiting. My relatives complain alot that I don't associate with them, I try to call and visit but it just doesn't work out at all.

I only wish am not like this.
Orgasmgiver123:
Both are possible

I remember when i was younger, i didn’t enjoy visiting people nor being in large gatherings. A birthday party was thrown for my younger sister, I couldn’t stay outside for more than 20mins, I even almost missed the family picture, my dad had to threaten me to come out.

When i finished my secondary education, i made new friends and become extremely loud, went to late night parties, mixed with different people. I became more alive, my mum was very happy about the new me ( except the partying part )

When we left the barracks for our house, it was a new site then, no one to talk to, except my younger siblings and they were still in secondary school, my elder sister was in uni, so I stayed home from morning till 6pm alone.
everything became boring again and I returned to the old me. Up till today, i find it very unnecessary to talk on phone, I’ll rather chat, i don’t enjoy visiting people or being visited, i can be with you for hours and not say anything. Throughout my tertiary life, i had only two friends, apart from this guys, no other person can claim they’ve heard me say more than 5 sentences. Forget all the rain boot kicking and all. In real life I’m too quiet, even for my own liking. Nairalanders who have met me can testify.

So, it is possible for an introvert to be born or made. It can be inherited and situations can force one to be an introvert. Situations like mouth odour, bad diction, low self esteem, pride etc

One of the reason why i kick people with my rain boot

Damn... nasty... I’m out of here
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by KOPArespect: 9:05pm On Jun 12, 2022
I was not born an introvert, I do stammer while I was a kid and I don't like it when other children make jest of me. So, I will rather keep quite and not talk for the day to avoid being laughed at, that was how it all started.

Funny enough, I am a mix of both now depending on where I find myself
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by PROPEACE: 9:10pm On Jun 12, 2022
InfinityFabric:
Who cares, no one likes them anyways - until they're needed.
And they don't worry too much about being liked. They are very happy being by themselves much of the time.

2 Likes

Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by Elvis778(m): 9:30pm On Jun 12, 2022
IMO, Introverts are made.

Though we ain't born without a personality and temperament, ofcourse our nature also defines that, stuffs like our energy levels, etc..

but while growing, our environment and experience further shapes that personality, in the end we are made into whatever we are as adults.

Throughout my life I have dabbled through being an introvert, an extrovert and an ambivert, thanks to the environment I find myself.
As a kid, I was an extrovert, a little shy but still an extrovert, this side of me grew, and the shy side continued diminishing until I finished Primary school.

But guess what? My first year in junior secondary school and I suddenly became quiet.
Again, environment came into play here,

We relocated, I wasn't allowed to go out much, was always indoors, my life was pretty much a triangle, home school church....

I don't talk in class, only related with really close friends that lived around my area, and in my class, didn't make friends outside my class, didn't even know everyone in my class,

only knew a few by their names, it was that bad, I was a complete ghost in my set as no one really knew me, and I also didn't know anyone outside my class.

Fast forward to senior secondary, I became more of an ambivert, again, my environment played a role here.....

Prior to my senior year, the long vacation, I met new people, through my close friends ofcourse (couldn't have done that myself), big time extroverts, we did lots of things together, I learnt new things and somehow I became more outspoken, related with people more and went out more.

this side of me continued throughout my senior class, graduation, 100l, 200l uptill now, and I believe my present and future experience and whatever environment I find my self in future will continue to shape my personality, maybe one day I might become a full time extrovert again, who knows.

So yes, Introverts are MADE.
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by Elvis778(m): 9:33pm On Jun 12, 2022
kumulus:
I would think man was born empty/plain/void..... everything else followed after birth. Some he dropped by the wayside, others grew as he grew because he held on to them. As long as he has breath in his body, he'll keep learning and unlearning wether consciously or unconsciously.

Personalities are formed/made.
Some babies are born cry babies, some are more quiet and barely cries, some love to scatter things as toddlers, some love to be carried and moved around, others just want to be active, while some love to be quiet or even spend most of their time sleeping....those are baby personalities, so nope, man ain't born empty.

4 Likes

Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by bepositive11: 10:03pm On Jun 12, 2022
ashewoboy:
Let's discuss. I want to find out something.

I think introverts and extroverts are born but some natural extroverts may act like introverts when there's something wrong. For example, when they're depressed. And some introverts may act like extroverts for survival. For example, when their job calls for it
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by Cossybob(m): 10:38pm On Jun 12, 2022
Damn nigga
Introverts are made. It begins with the upbringing and generally the environment of the child

Plus Lack of Money can make one introversive grin Just like me. cheesy
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by naijapage(f): 10:54pm On Jun 12, 2022
Nosayer:
Both are possible.

Introversion can be learned or unlearned. Personally, I think the Myer-Briggs personality types make sense here. Your type of personality determines whether you'd be introverted or not.

Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by MisterKennedy(m): 10:56pm On Jun 12, 2022
BoredBerry:
Both...

Genetics: some people are predisposed to being introverts... They inherit this trait from their parents or grandparents...

And introverts are 'made' too... In the sense that a person can become introverted due to his/her environment... For example. A child who's bullied may grow up to become a reserved adult... Children who stammer too... Children who lacked attention or grew up with no playmates... Etc...

Get it?

Wow!!! You're intelligent

This very much describes me

How did you find out all these?
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by Babastrong(m): 11:41pm On Jun 12, 2022
[quote author=Qinglong post=113296105]Good question. I have a very early memory of my childhood, when I was in KG 2. Throughout the first day, I didn't talk to anyone or play with anyone. I've also had short-sightedness since I was little and I couldn't see the writings on the board, but I didn't tell anyone — including the teacher. I was just mute throughout the day and slept off at some point. A neighbor of mine later came to pick me up and told the teacher that I was always quiet like that.

All through my school years and now during my service, it's been the same o. So I guess I would say I was born introverted. There's definitely many people that become introverted due to certain situations or circumstances, though.[ Yours was not an introvert qualities. It's inferioty complex or lack of self exteem]
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by OFAIKGROUPS(m): 12:04am On Jun 13, 2022
Check this book out "why you act way you do " by Tim Lahaye.

It pretty much describes everything you might wanna know about "temperament, personality types" and so on.....
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by OFAIKGROUPS(m): 12:13am On Jun 13, 2022
Check this book out "why you act the way you do " by Tim Lahaye.

It pretty much describes everything you might wanna know about "temperament s, personality types" and so on.....
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by Qinglong(m): 12:48am On Jun 13, 2022
[quote author=Babastrong post=113746519][/quote]
Well, I didn't mention everything that makes me (think I am) introverted. Many other traits mentioned here by other users have always applied to me as well. Pretty much the generic/classic traits of introverts you can find everywhere.

I simply mentioned a passing memory from my childhood to contribute to the thread question of whether introversion can be an in-born trait. I tried the extroverted lifestyle in late secondary school when my friends would cajole or convince me to hang out with them, and I simply find that it doesn't really work for me. Not that I found it boring per se, but certainly not 'satisfying' if you can get what I mean. Sometimes even annoying.

For another example, anytime the guys at my current place of service convince me to hang around, I always end up feeling mentally drained.
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by Qinglong(m): 12:55am On Jun 13, 2022
ObaKlaz:

You know my biggest problem with extroverts?
They think it's wrong for everyone else to not be extroverted as they are!

Na this one dey vex me pass, to be honest. In my current place of service, a girl asked me the same and started shaking her head at me as if I was an alien. They usually think we're creepy people living a boring or unfulfilling life. Why must I go to a cinema to enjoy a movie when I can do so with my phone? Meanwhile, I've experienced the extroverted lifestyle in my senior secondary school (when friends always told me to go out with them) and I can confidently say I much prefer the introverted lifestyle.

There's also one very quiet girl where I serve. She said she's been like that since she was little. If you see how both the workers and corpers disturb her ehn, always telling her to change herself because her personality is not good. They just think we're abnormal in a bad sense. They used to bother me like that but they don give up for my matter. grin

A lot of extroverts are very understanding of us, though.

1 Like

Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by Albertone(m): 1:09am On Jun 13, 2022
RepoMan007:
None of the above. They are borne. That's to mean they are recreated in the soulish/spirit realm.

Rest!

This doesn't relate to what we are saying here.
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by Albertone(m): 1:11am On Jun 13, 2022
OneKinGuy:
There is nothing like being an intorvet. You are just dumb shy and it's very bad

Truly, literacy is not by academic qualifications.

You're not an introvert,how come you arrive at such fallacious conclusion?

1 Like

Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by Albertone(m): 1:13am On Jun 13, 2022
Enny2013:

Ha! No abeg. I Neva prayed for such marriage. Separate rooms and just a kid kwa?
That's better.
Cos whenever you want your personal space and want to be alone, you'll start giving your hubby attitude because he is in the room with you.

1 Like

Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by Albertone(m): 1:16am On Jun 13, 2022
Mariangeles:

grin grin grin
I nukwa separate rooms? grin

If you want to speak English, speak it.If you want to speak Igbo, speak it.
No dey confuse person.

Nukwa kor nupe ni.
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by Albertone(m): 1:40am On Jun 13, 2022
Bahamas95:
Terror? Lol, no am not.
Only people who ain't used to me would call me that, once you get used to me you would find out am very simple. It's just that I don't tolerate nonsense, before you say or do anything with me you must apply caution. I am like a cutlass with both sides, (Sharp and blunt) I show you any side you want.

As for my love life I can't date or marry an extrovert, I tried it before it didn't work out I had to let her go. My present girlfriend is an ambivert and we're doing well. According to what she told me she fell in love with me because of my calm nature.

When she came to the hostel I was the last guy to talk to her, I didn't know she was itching to have a conversation with me but didn't know how to start it because she was kinda shy/scared.

She has gotten used to me now but some of her friends are still finding it difficult to understand me. One was telling her the other day that she doesn't know when am angry or happy........I can't believe someone said that about me. grin

Were you the one that asked her out or she did?
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by OneKinGuy(m): 2:07am On Jun 13, 2022
Albertone:

Truly, literacy is not by academic qualifications.

You're not an introvert,how come you arrive at such fallacious conclusion?
I used to call myself an intorvet till I realized I was dumb shy. You can comfort yourself like calling yourself fancy words like introvert, There is a whole world there to explore. Keep living in your shell all in the name of being an intorvet. Introvert ko intovert ke.
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by Albertone(m): 2:09am On Jun 13, 2022
OneKinGuy:

I used to call myself an intorvet till I realized I was dumb shy. You can comfort yourself like calling yourself fancy words like introvert, There is a whole world there to explore. Keep living in your shell all in the name of being an intorvet. Introvert ko intovert ke.

You were the one who abused the word "introvert".
This is a clear difference between dumb and shy AND introvert.

1 Like

Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by Enny2013(f): 2:13am On Jun 13, 2022
Albertone:

That's better.
Cos whenever you want your personal space and want to be alone, you'll start giving your hubby attitude because he is in the room with you.
I dnt feel disturbed wt hubby around.He isn't d lousy type.
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by OneKinGuy(m): 2:31am On Jun 13, 2022
Albertone:

You were the one who abused the word "introvert".
This is a clear difference between dumb and shy AND introvert.
Funny enough, you can't say this in my face but here you are, forming tough introvert grin grin
Anyways, do what ever you want big man wink
Re: Are Introverts Born Or Made? by Bahamas95(m): 4:23am On Jun 13, 2022
Albertone:

Were you the one that asked her out or she did?
Technically I would say she did, I wasn't interested in her at first because of her age. I haven't dated someone that young before, I was feeling reluctant to make the move because deep down in my heart I regarded her as my sister.

Her mum visited oneday and she introduced me to her as her bestie, as we were seeing her off the last statement she made was "TAKE CARE OF MY BABY". It was as if they poured cold water on me, that statement made me weak that day but I didn't tell her.......I didn't wanna betray her mum's trust by having any form of sexual affair with her.

Onething led to another and we're dating now, our families are aware of it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Are You Sending Your Housemaids To School? / Sistas, Why Are Some Of Us Too Angry Even In The Public? / How Often Should Married Couples Get Intimate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.