Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,736 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand (33436 Views)

My Mum Bullying My Dad Is Getting Out Of Hand!!! / My Son's Behavior Is Getting Out Of Hand / My Ex Said Her Son Is Mine - Please Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by LadyTara(f): 10:44am On Jun 09, 2022
Streetmovement:
When the presence of a father is missed in a home the children are bound to behave out of context especially for the younger ones who don't have any experience in life.

Madam those two niggas are just exploring their youthful freedom and they seem to be taking it to another height

Only two ways you can make this right

* The presence of a man to fix them wayward attitude

* Let them go elsewhere and live their life's and get a brain resetting experience on em streets because surely wetin Dem dey find Dem go see am for outside. It will either break them or make them.

Trying to make them see reasons with you now that their blood is still hot will be a lost battle before it even begins.

If they feel too big under your roof to adhere to your instructions they should go get theirs and live as they please but believe me time will come when they will look for you just to live right again.

When I dey my papa house, I dey hide dey do most of this things and most times I no dey even try am not because I couldn't but I respect my parents alot even though we had our ups and downs at the time but that one no mean say I go loseguard for wey dem dey.

At a very young age, na when I pack my bags enter street na when I come dey appreciate my parents the more even more than I use too.

You see those young bloods they will learn just give it time cool

Ok now will everyone stop with the bolded please .It's nauseating.

My cousin who I have not seen for years ,we went for a family reunion early this year ,he pierced his both ears ,has a tattoo all this right under his father's roof. I jokingly told my aunt that God should bring money so her son can buy diamond earrings and remove the one he has on.

Who wan rotten go rotten ,good upbringing or not, presence of a father or not. You can only do much when they are still Young ,it will come to a stage ,you only have to hope the upbringing sticks and doesn't get corroded by influence of environment and internet.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by chukwuibuipob: 10:47am On Jun 09, 2022
Joke keh? I still transferred the pics to my phone.The poor woman is a local govt janitor
Octopusssy:

Please tell me this is a joke. embarassed
Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by od501: 10:49am On Jun 09, 2022
Bluntguy:
Since they have started forming men for you. It means they can cater for themselves at this stage. If you die now (God forbid) they will move on. So take them to their father's people and take care of yourself. Life no get duplicate.

So...they will kill whoever is there too? So, now that it has turned so bad she has suddenly remembered she has inlaws.
Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by Nwaajasa: 10:52am On Jun 09, 2022
My sister I can feel what you are passing through but with God everything is possible even though it's too late, you made a mistake by trying to train two boys only you, because women over pamper their children must time, Dog don't eat eggs but our people said that any Dog train by a woman eats egg, now they have become big boys and have passed the age you can beat them and if I advise you to call police or area boys for them if come out your life is in danger, All you need to do now is look for a good home counselor, a pastor that can use the Word of God to talk sense to them with prayers, always pray for your children. Returning them to their father's house you and I knew that they can't stay with them, may God help you and your children
Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by Eroms4life17(m): 10:54am On Jun 09, 2022
Mummy you missed it at a stage in their life. Now you have to work 10x harder to straighten them. You should have remarried when they were younger. They miss a father figure in their lives. They are beyond your control. Only military discipline can correct them now. Will you be courageous enough to subject them to that? Think about it. Please leave prayer and church out of this. That time has passed.
Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by Johnkennie(m): 10:55am On Jun 09, 2022
Most of nowadays bad sons and daughters come from single mothers.

1 Like

Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by Portifar: 10:56am On Jun 09, 2022
I feel for you. Honestly you caused it! You brought them up the wrong way! Yrubas will say "akebaje" meaning "over protection". When they were moving with bad friends, did you check or caution them? There behaviour is as a result of err influence....bad friends! It is my prayer that God will touch the hearts of these kids. Just go to God in prayers......they will come back but I pray they are still in one piece. They will come back after experiencing different life lessons but I hope it won't be too late!
Anobody:
I'm a single mother of two teenage sons, lost my husband 10 years ago and have been struggling to cater for them singlehandedly. My first son is 19 and the last 17 years but I'm getting fed up with the disrespect and regret not taking them to the village so I could remarry.

They both left secondary school and working to save up for school and I don't ask them for a dime. My last son suddenly started behaving like a tout, pierced both ears and turning his hair to dread, takes my stuff without my permission and even to extent of holding my hands when I get furious to beat him.

My first son is dating a girl and spends all his money on her to the extend of asking me for transport fare sometimes. Sometimes they come home by 10 or 11pm and are ready to fight me if I get furious to discipline them.

What broke the camel's back was that my last son went to a friend's bday party overnight without telling me, my first son said he called to tell him he won't return and NONE OF THEM TOLD ME under my roof.

I've tried talking calmly, denying certain privilege and discipline but it keeps getting worse, my last option is to take them back to their father's village before I die of hbp.

I'm depressed nairalanders�, please I seek matured advice, thanks.

Please help me push to front page
Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by Originalsly: 11:01am On Jun 09, 2022
LadyTara:

In all this I have not seen you give a solution. undecided

Obvious..... she either endure and live with the monster she created.... or move out.
Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by Atolu01: 11:03am On Jun 09, 2022
Sorry about your experiences. Keep them away from healthy girls, until they are "retrained". These ones too will later join mouth to be bashing girls better than they are, projecting their uselessness; delusional that they are perfect. Deliquent irritating misogynist mannerless destructive gender.

Society be raising so called perfect, rounded ladies for dirty, ill-bred, abusive, entitled feeling entities there, and vice versa. Supply ko, NPD ni. Nonsense.
Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by EdwardRandy(m): 11:05am On Jun 09, 2022
Mindlog:

Come up with more effective ways of disciplining your children without having to use belt on them.
There's nothing wrong if he uses a belt on his kids, my dad did same to me and today I'm a better man. What matters is how he does it using the belt, he doesn't have to beat them like criminals.

1 Like

Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by Nwaajasa: 11:07am On Jun 09, 2022
Eroms4life17:
Mummy you missed it at a stage in their life. Now you have to work 10x harder to straighten them. You should have remarried when they were younger. They miss a father figure in their lives. They are beyond your control. Only military discipline can correct them now. Will you be courageous enough to subject them to that? Think about it. Please leave prayer and church out of this. That time has passed.
But my brother I saw in your personal text that Victory belongs to Jesus and you are telling her to leave prayers and church out of her problem, are you telling us now that Jesus can't win this battle for her
Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by Ok12345(f): 11:10am On Jun 09, 2022
Na Wa oooo

If she no born,problem no go plenty like this ooo

She would use d money to travel around the world and enjoy her life instead of using it to take care of this ungrateful kids

My mom had her fair share of training 2 teenage boys....yes it was so so so hard.My dad was always travelling and wasn't always present but anytime he was available, if he should say a word like this to my brother they would succumb, the thing be like magic,same thing my mom would say and they won't listen to,let my absentee father say it once,they will listen....I tire for boys oooo

1 Like

Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by pozehnani(f): 11:11am On Jun 09, 2022
Channah1:
Hm... A similar case to the one in my former compound. The woman ended up having stroke and was taken to the village. A young woman in her late 40s for that matter.
Now the tout son walks around the whole local market with his friend taking weed and living a dirty life.

You better leave the house unannounced because taking them to their fathers village won't work. Who's gonna take them from you? Or you think they too will be gullible to let you bundle them down there?

Just secretly get a place for yourself and leave now that you're still alive and in one piece.

Raising male children in this era of rottenness among teenagers and youth is not an easy task even with a father involved.

Sorry to say this but I think Iike the woman I cited, you raised them up badly because I still know of some small boys that this woman's son grew up with ( in the same compound) and how they turned out well because their mother trained them very well and never allowed them to go past the compound gate except they're going to school or on errands.

These ones Graduated from the uni and rented their own apartments before our very eyes while the other woman was always supporting her boys in looking for trouble and fighting people in the compound would abuse and lash anyone that tries to correct her boys.

At a point she was even bragging that no brother in the compound can challenge her son. This is a son that refused to go to school or learn any skills. No matter how hard the mother tried, he'll drop out or run away from where he's learning a skill. This he did until the mother came down with stroke.

Poor parenting could also be the cause of your predicament.

Awon "Don't beat my child gang." This is how it always ends.

Such is life.

Train up a child in the way he should go. Most parents don't take that advice seriously until it has entered injury time.
Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by thrillionaire(m): 11:12am On Jun 09, 2022
Mindlog:

Trying to copy the whites? cheesy Nah, my perspective is based on my specialization in Clinical Child Psychology here in Cambridge and continuous research on Conduct Disorders (CD) and Oppositional Defiant Disorders (ODD) in children and adolescents from a multicultural perspective.
my point is spare the rod and spoil the child. Of course disciplining in love. Okay...I get you disagree, but i believe in spanking. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by threegees(f): 11:13am On Jun 09, 2022
anonimi:

Why are you forgetting what James, the brother of Jesus Christ said:

Faith without works is dead

Where is that in all your sermon above
No vex, sir.
I have said mine. You may drop yours as well.
Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by Ebowo(f): 11:15am On Jun 09, 2022
Mindlog:

Come up with more effective ways of disciplining your children without having to use belt on them.
As long as they don't bleed, it's fine... everyone has what works for them as parents though,my kids for example hate to sleep in d afternoon,so to them that's a big punishment,I make them kneel,with eyes closed and hands lifted... I only use USB charger when I don't have d patience to repeat myself,that is for kids n adolescents not adults...for adults, withdrawing privileges, and assigning responsibilities could be a way of getting them into sober reflection
Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by OvertheTop(m): 11:16am On Jun 09, 2022
Anobody:
I'm a single mother of two teenage sons, lost my husband 10 years ago and have been struggling to cater for them singlehandedly. My first son is 19 and the last 17 years but I'm getting fed up with the disrespect and regret not taking them to the village so I could remarry.

They both left secondary school and working to save up for school and I don't ask them for a dime. My last son suddenly started behaving like a tout, pierced both ears and turning his hair to dread, takes my stuff without my permission and even to extent of holding my hands when I get furious to beat him.

My first son is dating a girl and spends all his money on her to the extend of asking me for transport fare sometimes. Sometimes they come home by 10 or 11pm and are ready to fight me if I get furious to discipline them.

What broke the camel's back was that my last son went to a friend's bday party overnight without telling me, my first son said he called to tell him he won't return and NONE OF THEM TOLD ME under my roof.

I've tried talking calmly, denying certain privilege and discipline but it keeps getting worse, my last option is to take them back to their father's village before I die of hbp.

This is Exactly What happen to a lot of Single Mothers Bringing up kids.... especially BOYS

BOYs without a Father Figure in their Life.....Go Crazy in when they Become Teenagers...

REASON:

Women are too soft raising Kids....
They think Sparing the Rod OR Overlooking their wrong-doing is the Best Way to show Kids Love..... It does Not Work!

Once they Start Mixing up with Street Kids....You are done for....

At some point, They Can even Slap the Mother....

Tough Love is the Way to handle BOYs

But unfortunately, When a Man is Discipling his kids...the Women Make it look as if he is a Beast.....Your present Situation is What he is trying to Avoid. (so that the kids don't turn Uncontrollable)

To me.

The Solution is to put them under the Father's Family ( They need a Father Figure)
Look for a Man in that Family to Help you Strictly Guild them aright
and Don't Question or Quarrel with them when the Kids Report to You that they are being Disciplined
Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by zaynie(f): 11:20am On Jun 09, 2022
Anobody:

Hello mama.
First, give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done thus far.
Then know this, this is typical teenage behavior. Typical especially as you seem to have strong-willed children which isn't bad at all.
My sisters and I were very rebellious. Very.
Our mom did her best raising us and still we put her through all kinds the moment we were old enough. Today ALL of us are doing very well and very very decent adults.
In fact whenever I remember what we put our mom through, I pray my kids don't do half of it!
My mom never gave up on us. Yes, she was tempted to bundle us and dump us with our dad or a family member but she kept pushing.
Don't stop.
Don't give up on them.
Keep reprimanding. Set your rules but don't make it too stringent. Set ultimatums and make sure you follow through. Don't back down. Help them get admission to a good University with low cult activities. Get them busy.
Help them find a hobby that can take most of their time like sports, dance, swimming, etc.
Talk to them. Let them know how much you desire for them to turn out well.
Talk was what finally got to us. Talk not shout. Midnight talks, watching a movie talk.
Get to know their friends.
Let them know what is going on with you too.
Treat your kids like adults because they are fast becoming one especially as they seem to be financially independent because they work.
And I love that you make them work, it's fantastic training you're giving them.
They will be rude! Yes, they will.
They will break your rules!
They will embarrass you!
But soon, they will turn around.
Don't give up on them. Your job is almost done.

Some of the rules my mom set immediately we reached 18 was
-curfew at 10pm and my mama no go open door even if you knock tire.
-sleepover at your friend's with at least 48h notice.
-contribute to household bills like electricity, trash, water etc.
-let us invite friends over. Our friends can also sleep over but their parents have to call mine.
-use makeup and have boyfriends and yes they get to visit us instead of us going to visit them.
-go to school or go to work. You can't stay home idle. Not even during holidays.
-if you get arrested for misdemeanor, don't call her.
My husband was also a rebellious kid, his turn-around was when his auntie got him arrested and he spent a full day behind bars and saw what criminals really look like.

Parenting isn't easy.
I'm sorry you're doing it alone but you can still raise amazing men. This is just a phase. It will pass.
Sending you plenty hugs.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by RealTalkNoBull: 11:22am On Jun 09, 2022
The replies let’s me know Nigerians don’t know how to raise children; just how to abuse and bully them. You have two young men on your hands, treat them accordingly. They are no longer boys. What they do with their hair and ears are none of your business. They need to get a job or learn a trade, and once the younger one is 18 years old, you have to send them packing. Let them go figure out life on their own.

1 Like

Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by alyarmouk(m): 11:23am On Jun 09, 2022
You don't have to be disappointed, just youthful exuberance. They need a stronger hand to mould them these period eventhough it's a bit late for that, ship them off to their dads' they will come to their senses,.
However, since they fend for themselves, it'll be a bit hard for you to control them

Anobody:

Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by Eroms4life17(m): 11:23am On Jun 09, 2022
Nwaajasa:
But my brother I saw in your personal text that Victory belongs to Jesus and you are telling her to leave prayers and church out of her problem, are you telling us now that Jesus can't win this battle for her

Jesus cannot do for us, what we should do for ourselves. When we over spiritualise what we should handle our own, we will continue to have problems. Do you think she's not praying enough for the boys? She's only concerned now because of how they have become. I have handled a situation similar to this so I know. Those boys need serious attention and that woman alone cannot help them.
Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by Nobody: 11:27am On Jun 09, 2022
Invite their father's family into the the matter.
Anobody:

Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by lilbarracuda(m): 11:29am On Jun 09, 2022
I just feel this is a result of no disciplining them when they were growing.
Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by Imustnottalk: 11:30am On Jun 09, 2022
Set awon I dont my children to suffer now the table has turned around you are complaining now the best thing you can do now treat them the adult way let them fend for themselves and still be under your roof
Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by Oyerinde16(m): 11:35am On Jun 09, 2022
One golden advice I have for u is PRAY
It is common with all kids of this age, is is the make or mar age, some will come out great others will come put battered...

Just talk, gist,.let them feel confident to tell u things, then try to mold them, they will respect and obey u if u know more about them, bit if u know little or nothing about their doings, they will not obey or respect u... U can technically borrow money (not that u need it) from them, pay them back, this will allow u control their spending...

Feed them well, but technically let them pay something for the feeding since they are earning, this way, they will look forward to coming home to eat, talk n play with u as their mummy, instead of dashing olosho babe that will cook indomie and rotten pussycat for them.

Lastly let them see how hard u want a better life for them, let them see how u want them to succeed even in their current state, children this age stagger a lot and most likely will fall in the right path if u tangle with them well...
Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by Mindlog: 11:42am On Jun 09, 2022
EdwardRandy:

There's nothing wrong if he uses a belt on his kids, my dad did same to me and today I'm a better kissman. What matters is how he does it using the belt, he doesn't have to beat them like criminals.

It is interesting reading views on the "effectiveness" of using belts and other "tools" in instilling values in children....hmm.

1 Like

Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 11:43am On Jun 09, 2022
chatinent:
Sadly, there are very many guys who dress like this in our day and it's called normal. Guys with piercings, locked hairs, tattoo or anything to copy the western culture.

Maybe you lost it from allowing them to suffer for their needs. Now, they feel they are alone in the world and are men.

Parents need to train a child not allowing them train themselves because the day you sell your responsibility to them, you sell your full responsibility.

Seven blessings to you. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by SeriouslySense(m): 11:46am On Jun 09, 2022
Won't they cause nuisance and be a burden in her brothers house, hmm.

This is a very hard situation, as the boys have already consolidated their way of life. They could cause harm in her brother house, or relatives house. If she had known she would have caught the symptoms earlier. Looks like they are entitled, ignorant fellows, who need hard lessons in life to become straightened, or she could consult a professional. However, i believe there may be a door, that she can recognize in her chidden and she can use that door to talk to them so they listen. she must try to understand how she can talk sense through their think skin. They can not become suddenly better over night, it will be a gradual process of appealing to their conscience, in the manner that works for them.

However they need something to occupy their minds, and they are not in school, so its important, that they should be learning something, what do they want to do with their future, have you asked them that, or at least ask them, so they can start thinking gradually. If they can think outside sex hormones, it will help them.

They probably have low self esteem, and do not comply to authority, low self esteem from not completing school, and they do not comply with authority, because they have not found value in their life.

So if you can work on their skill and what they can do for living, maybe they will listen to you more often. But you have to build up a profile of your children and understand their strength and weaknesses and study how you can influence them through their strengths.

ikennaoma:
My advice is simple. If u have a long distance brother or uncle. Take one there and another to another of your brothers house. They are too comfortable with you and the environment and must be separated
Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by BobbyZrealist(m): 11:50am On Jun 09, 2022
Pikin wey go spoil go spoil.......

If u like beat pikin from now till tomorrow,if e no go change, he won't change.

That is why you train people with Love,by been a living example.
That is: doing first whatever you say.
Children learn by seeing,not hearing.
Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by Stanleyq: 12:00pm On Jun 09, 2022
Anobody:
I'm a single mother of two teenage sons, lost my husband 10 years ago and have been struggling to cater for them singlehandedly. My first son is 19 and the last 17 years but I'm getting fed up with the disrespect and regret not taking them to the village so I could remarry.not u o.,but one woman so, when her husband died, rishe didn't know that over coddling kills tthe children. brining men to your room wil make them touts. but u didn't do all these

Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by AmDayo: 12:03pm On Jun 09, 2022
NoToPile:

What or where is borstal?

BORSTAL is located is 3 places in Nigeria. Ilorin, Abeokuta and Kaduna.
Ilorin is the best thou.

Borstal is a rehabilitation and training centre forf wayward child...

1 Like

Re: My 17yrs Old Son Is Getting Out Of Hand by SammyDiabuah(m): 12:06pm On Jun 09, 2022
They are going through a phase...They are not totally lost...You are a mother and in as much as you want the best for them, they still need to understand themselves...Believe me when I say that allowing nature to take its cause, their attitude can continue like this in 10 years time except God intervenes earlier...So just take care of your health, pray for them and speak to them in their calm state of mind. Life has a way of humbling such kids...It might take time but it is possible...#Believe

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Woman Gives Birth To Triplets In Edo After Her Husband Abandoned Her (Pix) / Should A Married Woman Keep In Touch With Her Ex? / Thread For Those Born In Month Of May

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.