Stats: 3,152,048 members, 7,814,592 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:48 PM

Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? (40006 Views)

Promise Me You Will Come Back - Nigerian Lady Cries At The Airport / Two Men cling To A Moving Car In Order To Settle An Issue in Lagos (Pix, Video) / Hours After Relocating To Ireland, Engineer Vows Never To Come Back To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by PeachtreeReside(f): 7:10pm On Jun 20, 2022
Their pension is better to spend outside of the Diaspora.

Their pension will last longer here than in the abroad. If they have serious health issues, they can go back to sort it our.

Best of both worlds.

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Munzy14(m): 7:11pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mode4:
I have been thinking why the few peeps I know including some of my distant uncles who spent most of their years abroad came back to Nigeria to live when they became old. Is there something awkward about growing old overseas?

Even my sister in the US, has been telling me that once she gets old, she will come back to Nigeria to spend the remainder of her life. Folks abroad, what's really going on? Is there a harsh reality for the aged over there?
They are coming home to die...
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Gabkan7: 7:13pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mode4:
I have been thinking why the few peeps I know including some of my distant uncles who spent most of their years abroad came back to Nigeria to live when they became old. Is there something awkward about growing old overseas?

Even my sister in the US, has been telling me that once she gets old, she will come back to Nigeria to spend the remainder of her life. Folks abroad, what's really going on? Is there a harsh reality for the aged over there?
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by SeriouslySense(m): 7:14pm On Jun 20, 2022
I am curious, could you explain what friendship in UK means, thank you.

jesmond3945:
lol goodluck on that. You would come to understand what friendship in uk means.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Gabbriell: 7:15pm On Jun 20, 2022
Las las your country na your country.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Edyice: 7:16pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mode4:

Simple

There children always take them to care home lol
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Kaymansion(m): 7:16pm On Jun 20, 2022
That's the reason why they say "ile laabo Simi oko"
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Gabkan7: 7:17pm On Jun 20, 2022
High Cost of living, because at that age can't do most thing for themselve rather had to pay for the service rendered to them

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by samsard(m): 7:17pm On Jun 20, 2022
michlins:
It's expensive to live abroad if you are no longer making the local currency that much.

It's best to relocate here where cost of living is relatively cheap albeit the little insecurity
This is basically it. Although there can be other reasons too.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by SeriouslySense(m): 7:18pm On Jun 20, 2022
Gabkan7:
High Cost of living, because at that age can't do most thing for themselve rather had to pay for the service rendered to them
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by MadamExcellency: 7:19pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mode4:
I have been thinking about why the few peeps I know including some of my distant uncles who spent most of their years abroad came back to Nigeria to live when they became old. Is there something awkward about growing old overseas?

Even my sister in the US, has been telling me that once she gets old, she will come back to Nigeria to spend the remainder of her life. Folks abroad, what's going on? Is there a harsh reality for the aged over there?

They want to join their ancestors but before that, they need to reconcile with them here
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by seunoj: 7:24pm On Jun 20, 2022
Apus:
You won't understand.

Abroad is good for hustle and enjoying basic amenities we lack here. Asides this, there is this feeling of emptiness or something missing each time you remember home.
When I was away I was even more current about latest happenings in Naija than those at home so as to feel connected.

Laffss. Emptiness for where insecurity de?

People return home majorly for 2 reasons
1. Their pension is enough to spend in Nigeria enjoyable. They can afford to hire driver, cleaner, security etc which they can’t abroad with same pension.

2. Nobody get their time. Even their own son will dump them in care home because he wants enjoy his life. Oyinbo don’t live communal life. Everyman is on his own.

Communal life that will keep them active and enough bar to spend

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Quiny32323: 7:24pm On Jun 20, 2022
Diaspora na your mate?
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Alpharey: 7:25pm On Jun 20, 2022
They said that East or West, home is best. It shouldn't surprise you cos there is this attachment to where a person was born. The people, the way of life, the food, even the environment is missed. You are talking of abroad. Even my Igbo brothers who live in Lagos or Kano will always want to go back to the East once they get old. The hustle and bustle of Lagos will always give you tension. This life sef. grin
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by jesmond3945: 7:25pm On Jun 20, 2022
SeriouslySense:
I am curious, could you explain what friendship in UK means, thank you.

is not deep. Friendhsip is on their own terms.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Quiny32323: 7:25pm On Jun 20, 2022
seunoj:

Laffss. Emptiness for where insecurity de?

People return home majorly for 2 reasons
1. Their pension is enough to spend in Nigeria enjoyable. They can afford to hire driver, cleaner, security etc which they can’t abroad with same pension.

2. Nobody get their time. Even their own son will dump them in care home because he wants enjoy his life. Oyinbo don’t live communal life. Everyman is on his own.

Communal life that will keep them active and enough bar to spend

He is right, you even confirmed it by saying their children abandons their parents at care home, tell me what can be more empty than that

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Emmanuel909090: 7:26pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mode4:

Same reason why our old parents retire to the village at a certain old age.

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by joyandfaith: 7:28pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mode4:

If you relocate in your 20s or 30s, you are likely to return at your old age. If you relocate in preteen or teen years , you are not likely to return at your old age. If you are borne abroad or you are a toddler and you relocate with your parents, you would rarely think of home.

Also, those who are doing menial jobs are likely to return home. Professionals are not likely to return home.

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Quiny32323: 7:28pm On Jun 20, 2022
You are rooted to where you grow up especially your formative and youthful age and nothing can replace that especially for we Africans( in Nigeria igbos n yorubas especially)
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Alpharey: 7:30pm On Jun 20, 2022
Even your uncle that lives in Lagos will always want to relocate to Ijebu Igbo once he is old. Very simple. Nobody wants to be carried back to his village in a coffin once you are lucky to live at old age.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by BigDawsNet: 7:34pm On Jun 20, 2022
Jaqenhghar:

Old people pay taxes?

There isn't an age limitation on paying taxes. There is no age limitation on paying taxes. Federal income tax is incurred whenever you earn taxable income. However, people age around 70 may see their income taxes decrease or be eliminated entirely because the income they now earn has changed and decreased

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by JAGS001(m): 7:34pm On Jun 20, 2022
immortalcrown:
Those type of people are selfish people who always run to the most comfortable zones. When they are young, diaspora is their favourite. When they get old and begin to pay the price of the enjoyment they had, they will remember "No place like home". If you think they are coming home just because they love home, why did they wait until old age? Are they running from enjoyment in diaspora?
Well, that tells you that home is better than any other place so running diaspora is just waste of energy because of enjoyment that you can fight for at home so your descendants won't make same mistake of building other people's country while leaving yours to be exactly the way you left to go abroad.

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by SeriouslySense(m): 7:40pm On Jun 20, 2022
ohh okay. Thanks anyway, i appreciate the short explanation.

jesmond3945:
is not deep. Friendhsip is on their own terms.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by EagleNest(m): 7:40pm On Jun 20, 2022
Nothing is wrong with it. Home is home.

We should rather be worried why nearly all our governors retire to the senate?
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by CSTRR: 7:41pm On Jun 20, 2022
They have given their productive years to Europe and America.

What we are getting back is the frail bones.

Wake up, eat akpu, and sleep.

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Ofodirinwa: 7:45pm On Jun 20, 2022
Amalekki:

Do your research before reaching conclusions, go out of your comfort zone and find out things around you grin

me or the old Nigerians?
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by CSTRR: 7:45pm On Jun 20, 2022
JAGS001:

Well, that tells you that home is better than any other place so running diaspora is just waste of energy because of enjoyment that you can fight for at home so your descendants won't make same mistake of building other people's country while leaving yours to be exactly the way you left to go abroad.
They did not leave home because they wanted to.

They left home because home has nothing to offer them.

Consistently voting bad leaders has turned your home to an infertile land.

By the time, you people will continue the same wrong decision by voting Tinubu or atiku in, the level of Japa from Nigeria would be unprecedented.

Not just hustlers, but critical productive population.
Mostly young people.

They are just waiting for the 2023 elections to finish and see the outcome, and they will make their move.

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Toriagirl(f): 7:45pm On Jun 20, 2022
Funny comments tho.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by miqos02(m): 7:46pm On Jun 20, 2022
juman:

Cremation is an option, cost about half to a third of burial depending on the country.

About 1,700 euro.
how many Africans and their families will opt for cremation ?

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by SeriouslySense(m): 7:46pm On Jun 20, 2022
But why can't the people in the country come together to do what will benefit them, must someone come from abroad to do what is necessary, is that how other peoples developed their countries, by waiting for those outside to come and make it better.

The truth is we do not like ourselves so we do not unite to help ourselves and then we are waiting for others who are outside to come and make it better.

cheesy cheesy

If people cannot do what is helpful in the country, what makes you think they will listen to those who come from outside, i hear stories of how nigerians cheat and kill their relatives who are outside the country. We have a problem inside ourselves.

CSTRR:
They have given their productive years to Europe and America.

What we are getting back is the frail bones.

Wake up, eat akpu, and sleep.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Jaqenhghar: 7:46pm On Jun 20, 2022
BigDawsNet:

There isn't an age limitation on paying taxes. There is no age limitation on paying taxes. Federal income tax is incurred whenever you earn taxable income. However, people age around 70 may see their income taxes decrease or be eliminated entirely because the income they now earn has changed and decreased
I was thinking something else. My bad
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by t2luv1: 7:46pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mode4:

It all boils down to the cost of living. Even staying in a personal income tax-free state like Florida on aggregate the living cost in Nigeria still comes out better. The only place that comes close to Nigeria in my findings is Costa Rica and since I only speak small Spanish I guess that's out of it. With good planning average Social Security payment @ 62 is $1980 and @65 is $2250 without even touching one personal 401k and other investment income. One can live the good life in Nigeria solely on Social Security, Once you planned ahead and have a House built already in Nigeria trust me you will only need to come back to the US twice a year to use Medicare for annual checks up. Your monthly Social Security check is automatically deposited into your account without any worry fully backed by USA Treasury

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Edwin Ijeoma Who Renounced Nigerian Citizenship, Expelled From South Africa / Iwo Road In Ibadan Flooded, Roads Blocked - Photos / Collapsed Bridge: 21 Army Recruitment Applicants Die In Jigawa Accident

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59