Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,840 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? (40010 Views)

Promise Me You Will Come Back - Nigerian Lady Cries At The Airport / Two Men cling To A Moving Car In Order To Settle An Issue in Lagos (Pix, Video) / Hours After Relocating To Ireland, Engineer Vows Never To Come Back To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Jaqenhghar: 7:49pm On Jun 20, 2022
immortalcrown:
Mrs. Woman, suffering is any condition that threatens your health and saddens you. Suffering is in different forms. You are asking as if suffering is only one particular condition.
Nigger, there is no need to be all waspish. You said they suffer. Maybe its the lonliness you call suffering. Apart from the loneliness I dont see anything that can ve classified as suffering. Your pension is paid on time. Depending on the country you have health coverage. In some countries they even put you in a home and make sure its comfortable and you are checked on. Things that are absent in that hellhole . So tell me again how they are suffering?
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by CSTRR: 7:50pm On Jun 20, 2022
SeriouslySense:
But why can't the people in the country come together to do what will benefit them, must someone come from abroad to do what is necessary, is that how other peoples developed their countries, by waiting for those outside to come and make it better.

The truth is we do not like ourselves so we do not unite to help ourselves and then we are waiting for others who are outside to come and make it better.

cheesy cheesy
What do you expect them to do.?

The vast majority of Nigeria is stupid.

Look at the 2023 elections about to come, sensible people are asking Nigerians to vote Peter obi because development starts with leadership.

Instead, we are seeing people determined to vote Tinubu or atiku even when they know nothing good can come out of it.
They know it but bigotry,greed and laziness to struggle for a great nation is the problem.
Millions of people determined to do the wrong thing.

So what do you do?
The vast majority are stupid already.

There is really nothing you can do.

The best is to Japa and go to countries where people like you are.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by GistFullGround: 7:51pm On Jun 20, 2022
Amalekki:

Crime where?

Most cities
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Meteng: 7:51pm On Jun 20, 2022
Back to the cemetery na
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by juman(m): 7:53pm On Jun 20, 2022
miqos02:
how many Africans and their families will opt for cremation ?

Things are changing.

But I remember muslim brothers that died are buried by muslim community.

Some years back I met one nigerian man at tallinn mosque, he said he came from london to bury his sudanese friend that died in tallinn. He knew the guy in sudan, when he was sick he constantly phoned him to bury him in islamic way.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by SeriouslySense(m): 7:54pm On Jun 20, 2022
Things like electricity, and social amenities can be established in the communities, just by working together just like how people come together and donate in Church's, they can also come together to see how to improve, but i dont really see that kind of mindset yet.

We are highly chaotic, very quick for greedy gains and a sense of superiority, quick for deceit, but not forging the way forward.

CSTRR:

Look at the 2023 elections about to come, sensible people are asking Nigerians to vote Peter obi because development starts with leadership.

Instead, we are seeing people determined to vote Tinubu or atiku even when they know nothing good can come out of it.
They know it but bigotry,greed and laziness to struggle for a great nation is the problem.

So what do you do?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by phemmyfour: 7:56pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mode4:
I have been thinking why the few peeps I know including some of my distant uncles who spent most of their years abroad came back to Nigeria to live when they became old. Is there something awkward about growing old overseas?

Even my sister in the US, has been telling me that once she gets old, she will come back to Nigeria to spend the remainder of her life. Folks abroad, what's really going on? Is there a harsh reality for the aged over there?
loneliness at old age over there is not a joke
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by onuman: 7:56pm On Jun 20, 2022
Apus:
You won't understand.

Abroad is good for hustle and enjoying basic amenities we lack here. Asides this, there is this feeling of emptiness or something missing each time you remember home.
When I was away I was even more current about latest happenings in Naija than those at home so as to feel connected.

Apt in bold.

Those at home dream of robbing those in abroad their motherland. Never gonna happen. People travel abroad to have a better life different from the hardship imposed upon Nigerians by Nigeria's ruling class. Returning home after the hustle abroad is a must.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by GistFullGround: 7:56pm On Jun 20, 2022
kabukabu50:

Public school really failed you.

My apartment building was robbed in Nigeria for almost 1 hour,they held everyone hostage,police did not show up.
In the US police is there in 5 mins.

You are a complete failure of a human.

Why are you ranting, is it true or not?
Why cant you just pass? Am I not entitle to my opinion of fact?
Even if the police comes in 5 mins, does it mean they catch the guys in 5 mins?
In any case, there is no where a asserted that crime is not present in Nigeria.
Is there no crime anywhere? You JJC, who believes all is well abroad.
By the way, which city do you live? You squatter!
Do you know how long I've stayed here, you foolish yahoo-yahoo boy

You jobless idiot from a fatherless stump! DIRTY BOY!!

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2019/crime-in-the-u.s.-2019
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by SeriouslySense(m): 7:56pm On Jun 20, 2022
smiley
phemmyfour:
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by t2luv1: 7:56pm On Jun 20, 2022
PeachtreeReside:
Their pension is better to spend outside of the Diaspora.

Their pension will last longer here than in the abroad. If they have serious health issues, they can go back to sort it our.

Best of both worlds.

You betcha !!!! Even when you passed away and you happened to have married someone young thing don't forget monthly spousal support of close to $890 per month. Yes I said per month

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by erico2k2(m): 7:57pm On Jun 20, 2022
immortalcrown:
Because the suffering there is not good for old age. Those type of people are selfish people who always run to the most comfortable zones and abandon their relatives at home.

When they are young, diaspora is their favourite. When they get old and begin to pay the price of the enjoyment they had, they will remember "No place like home". If you think they are coming home just because they love home, why did they wait until old age? Are they running from enjoyment in diaspora?

Most of the things you enjoy as a youth will not give you happiness in your old age because they are not what your body and health require in old age. Those people hardly get what pleases old age in diaspora. That is why they run home to search for old-age happiness. There are many reasons.

Suffering is not only about the struggle to make money. Whatever threatens your health or saddens you means suffering.
have you lived abroad B4? I dnt mean visit, LIVE?

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by erico2k2(m): 8:00pm On Jun 20, 2022
phemmyfour:
not for everybody and al cases though, some people have thier whole family here and no one to return to in Nigeria
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by pyro206(m): 8:00pm On Jun 20, 2022
When an African becomes rich, his bank accounts are in Switzerland. He travels to France for Medical treatment.

“He invests in Germany. He buys from Dubai. He consumes Chinese. He prays in Rome or Mecca. His children study in Europe. He travels to Canada, USA, Europe for tourism.

“If he dies, he will be buried in his native country of Africa.

“Africa is just a cemetery for Africans. How could a cemetery be developed?”

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by SeriouslySense(m): 8:01pm On Jun 20, 2022
A sense of knowing, with half ignorance is more dangerous than ignorance.
immortalcrown:
Because the suffering there is not good for old age. Those type of people are selfish people who always run to the most comfortable zones and abandon their relatives at home.

When they are young, diaspora is their favourite. When they get old and begin to pay the price of the enjoyment they had, they will remember "No place like home". If you think they are coming home just because they love home, why did they wait until old age? Are they running from enjoyment in diaspora?

Most of the things you enjoy as a youth will not give you happiness in your old age because they are not what your body and health require in old age. Those people hardly get what pleases old age in diaspora. That is why they run home to search for old-age happiness. There are many reasons.

Suffering is not only about the struggle to make money. Whatever threatens your health or saddens you means suffering.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by phemmyfour: 8:01pm On Jun 20, 2022
erico2k2:

not for everybody and al cases though, some people have thier whole family here and no one to return to in Nigeria
very few
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by SeriouslySense(m): 8:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
Is not like you are not African, this trait must be inherent in you also, just like it is inherent in myself, so why are we not developing our societies.

pyro206:
When an African becomes rich, his bank accounts are in Switzerland. He travels to France for Medical treatment.

“He invests in Germany. He buys from Dubai. He consumes Chinese. He prays in Rome or Mecca. His children study in Europe. He travels to Canada, USA, Europe for tourism.

“If he dies, he will be buried in his native country of Africa.

“Africa is just a cemetery for Africans. How could a cemetery be developed?”

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by erico2k2(m): 8:09pm On Jun 20, 2022
phemmyfour:
very few
The only people who return are people with families there or people who want to re invest in Nigeria. There is no clear reason or general reason why anyone returns to Nigeria its a personal choice, If one has no family or friends in Nigeria its pointless going back to Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by erico2k2(m): 8:09pm On Jun 20, 2022
SeriouslySense:
Is not like you are not African, this trait must be inherent in you also, just like it is inherent in myself, so why are we not developing our societies.

cos wicked, mad and greedy people throw spanners in our works
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by t2luv1: 8:10pm On Jun 20, 2022
PeachtreeReside:
Their pension is better to spend outside of the Diaspora.

Their pension will last longer here than in the abroad. If they have serious health issues, they can go back to sort it our.

Best of both worlds.

I am freaking doing count-down partner 3 yrs 8months I am collecting that Social Security @ 62 sells the paid-for house then buy a 2 bedroom townhouse. somewhere to stay whenever I come for a check-up.(Ain't staying at any Child's house) . God willing get my black ass to my house in Lagos Nigeria. The only thing I am going to miss is my College Football (University of Michigan) but with a VPN and internet I will resolve that issue. Time to get out of dodge people I have been here for too f**king long. Love this land, home of the brave and land of the free. But Ileya

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Malachite: 8:10pm On Jun 20, 2022
Not just Nigeria this happen all over the world. when people retire they tend to go home to their country especially if it is sunny.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by erico2k2(m): 8:11pm On Jun 20, 2022
CSTRR:

So what do you do?

rightly so ,Japa and secure the future of your family.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by phemmyfour: 8:12pm On Jun 20, 2022
erico2k2:

The only people who return are people with families there or people who want to re invest in Nigeria. There is no clear reason or general reason why anyone returns to Nigeria its a personal choice, If one has no family or friends in Nigeria its pointless going back to Nigeria
how many people have their whole families over there?
Not even the elites
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by erico2k2(m): 8:15pm On Jun 20, 2022
phemmyfour:
how many people have their whole families over there?
Not even the elites
Plenty, I live in london and I got who loads of Senior bross them who have kids and grand kids here, all brothers and sisters here, all they have in Nigeria is Uncles and cozens, parents gone to rest, so they have up to 70 members of their families from 1st to 3rd generation here.So who are they going to meet in Nigeria?

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Mina79(f): 8:16pm On Jun 20, 2022
No place like home!
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by EgunMogaji2: 8:24pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mode4:
I have been thinking why the few peeps I know including some of my distant uncles who spent most of their years abroad came back to Nigeria to live when they became old. Is there something awkward about growing old overseas?

Even my sister in the US, has been telling me that once she gets old, she will come back to Nigeria to spend the remainder of her life. Folks abroad, what's really going on? Is there a harsh reality for the aged over there?

I left Nigeria in 1986. I retired back to Nigeria in 2019. Single and with an American citizenship and pension. Could pretty much live anywhere in the world but it’s only specifically Ibadan for me.

Why?

It’s the place of my youth and a familiar place ground where I can hang my hat while I traverse the world checking off my bucket list.

If you don’t have to work/make money then Nigeria is okay. I do run some soft companies though.

To the retirees still abroad, come home. To the young bucks get out as soon as you can.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by seunoj: 8:26pm On Jun 20, 2022
Quiny32323:

He is right, you even confirmed it by saying their children abandons their parents at care home, tell me what can be more empty than that

The principle is this.
Why hold people down and prevent them from enjoying their lives? The care home is an organised place for aged people. Professionals engage them with various activities alongside regular visit from family members.

Is it better that the life of the last born is put on old because the parents are old and need attention? Which is what happens most times in Nigeria. Someone will continue to worry and not enjoy his/her own life.

That’s what they runaway from when they are abroad but is it fair? I don’t think so.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by TheGift: 8:26pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mode4:

Probably cos there’s no place like home.

Which is why I advise people who ask me not to Japa, but rather expand their coast. I would rather be a citizen of the world who can afford to travel anywhere, than Japa from my roots hoping my answer is somewhere else. Especially in a world that is going crazy in virtually every county.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Amalekki: 8:27pm On Jun 20, 2022
GistFullGround:

Most cities
What gave you the impression that crime in say, USA, is greater than what you have in Nigeria? Where is Nigeria's crime data?
Give us the number of crimes committed in Lagos, Abuja, Ibadan, Kaduna, Onitsha, Warri, and Port Harcourt last year, not even last week or last month.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Awesometouch1: 8:27pm On Jun 20, 2022
michlins:
It's expensive to live abroad if you are no longer making the local currency that much.

It's best to relocate here where cost of living is relatively cheap albeit the little insecurity
You are the only one that hit the nail on the head.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by kabukabu50(m): 8:27pm On Jun 20, 2022
GistFullGround:

You are a complete failure of a human.

Why are you ranting, is it true or not?
Why cant you just pass? Am I not entitle to my opinion of fact?
Even if the police comes in 5 mins, does it mean they catch the guys in 5 mins?
In any case, there is no where a asserted that crime is not present in Nigeria.
Is there no crime anywhere? You JJC, who believes all is well abroad.
By the way, which city do you live? You squatter!
Do you know how long I've stayed here, you foolish yahoo-yahoo boy

You jobless idiot from a fatherless stump! DIRTY BOY!!

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2019/crime-in-the-u.s.-2019

I never been robbed in the US.

Sebi next time kidnappers take your family just call me I went send your $$$ to get you out and give you visa to come and be my houseboy.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Amalekki: 8:29pm On Jun 20, 2022
seunoj:

The principle is this.
Why hold people down and prevent them from enjoying their lives? The care home is an organised place for aged people. Professionals engage them with various activities alongside regular visit from family members.

Is it better that the life of the last born is put on old because the parents are old and need attention? Which is what happens most times in Nigeria. Someone will continue to worry and not enjoy his/her own life.

That’s what they runaway from when they are abroad but is it fair? I don’t think so.
Thank you.

Care homes are even becoming a thing in Nigeria. By the time we have good semblance of real development, care homes will be everywhere. We are only currently enjoying the perks of being a domain of the jobless supported by a culture of 'givers never lack' for now. With development comes real bills, real responsibilities, and everything gets real then we realize that no society was born with any culture or tradition, it was all evolution based on different challenges and realities.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Edwin Ijeoma Who Renounced Nigerian Citizenship, Expelled From South Africa / Iwo Road In Ibadan Flooded, Roads Blocked - Photos / Collapsed Bridge: 21 Army Recruitment Applicants Die In Jigawa Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.