Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,079 members, 7,814,744 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:39 PM

Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? (40009 Views)

Promise Me You Will Come Back - Nigerian Lady Cries At The Airport / Two Men cling To A Moving Car In Order To Settle An Issue in Lagos (Pix, Video) / Hours After Relocating To Ireland, Engineer Vows Never To Come Back To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Jaqenhghar: 6:47pm On Jun 20, 2022
immortalcrown:
Are they running from enjoyment?
Mr. Man. You made a vague statment. Explain so we understand what exact suffering old people suffer there. Maybe I can learn

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Sassy256(f): 6:48pm On Jun 20, 2022
Apus:
You won't understand.

Abroad is good for hustle and enjoying basic amenities we lack here. Asides this, there is this feeling of emptiness or something missing each time you remember home.
When I was away I was even more current about latest happenings in Naija than those at home so as to feel connected.
You're right.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by jerrysayo(m): 6:48pm On Jun 20, 2022
They prefer to die at home
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by kabukabu50(m): 6:49pm On Jun 20, 2022
abbey621:
Average person abroad has about $300,000 by retirement. Let's see how it plays out in 9ja and abroad like America:

USA:
Yearly healthcare cost: $50,000 minus medicaid/medicare = $15000
Annual other insurance: $2000
Cost of private duty nurse/nurse assistant(Home care): $25,000
Utilities(Gas, Electricity, Cable, Internet, Phone etc): $8000
Taxes: $5000
Food and Entertainment: $20,000
======
Expense Total: $75,000 yearly cost
Income Total (Social Security, etc): $1500 per month, $18,000 per year.
========
57,000 USD is needed per year to live in America at retirement age.

Nigeria
Yearly healthcare cost: $3000
Annual other insurance: $0
Cost of private duty nurse/nurse assistant(Home care) and maid service: $2,500 per year
Utilities(Security, Electricity, DSTV, Internet, Phone etc): $3000
Taxes: $0
Food and Entertainment: $10,000
======
Expense Total: $18,500 yearly cost
Income Total (Social Security, etc): $1500 per month, $18,000 per year.
========
500 USD is needed per year to live in Nigeria at retirement age.

A person age 65 or older with a retirement savings of 300,000 USD will survive comfortably for less than 6 years in America but will last over 50 years in Nigeria asssuming all things are equal and that persons owns a house in Nigeria or USA.

Even with all the security issues and inflation/unexpected expenses, one can live very comfortably in Nigeria assuming one has done the necessary hardwork while youthful and invested/saved properly!

Your quotes are complete rubbish.
It doesnt cost anywhere close to $75 to live in most parts of the US,even much less a retiree.

These wanna be online informants who dont have passports spreading fake news everywhere.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Missy89(f): 6:49pm On Jun 20, 2022
pweeryambre:

You mean pension? What is social security cheque in this naija.

Monthly Social security check from the US. Once you hit 62
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Amalekki: 6:49pm On Jun 20, 2022
Solofresh2:
Am currently in the UK right now and I can tell you that loneliness and inferiority complex is what is killing most Nigerians here.I came in just last week and I have made a lot friends here.
If you do things with pure hearts and you don't have an average Nigerian mentality, the whites will like you more.
Moreover,some people can't cope being on another man's land for long.
As for me I can die anywhere I find myself as long as am comfortable
Thank you! Our people tend to chat all day about issues but never really bother to dig deep and figure out the 'real issues' behind the issue. We love easy conclusions grin
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by immortalcrown(m): 6:50pm On Jun 20, 2022
JAGS001:
Very funny lol so oldage people are suffering in diaspora, abi home is always home no matter what.
Those type of people are selfish people who always run to the most comfortable zones. When they are young, diaspora is their favourite. When they get old and begin to pay the price of the enjoyment they had, they will remember "No place like home". If you think they are coming home just because they love home, why did they wait until old age? Are they running from enjoyment in diaspora?
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Amalekki: 6:52pm On Jun 20, 2022
GistFullGround:
If there was good Electricity, & Healthcare, I will come home. I don't care about the roads.

I can get Borehole.

Crime over there is greater than Naija.
Crime where?

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by damzy88: 6:53pm On Jun 20, 2022
DeLaRue:
Best bet, spend 15 - 20yrs abroad, return to Nigeria in your early 40s, and continue your life in Nigeria.

At that age, you are at your peak and you still have 2 - 4 yrs to get re-integrated here and still have another 20 active yrs before you retire.

Returning at 60 or 65yrs is a bit late I think, as you're likely to find it more difficult to cope. That's when you'll be saying bullshit! grin every minute because you can't cope with the system and the people.
I live abroad and I share this view.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by immortalcrown(m): 6:54pm On Jun 20, 2022
Jaqenhghar:
Mr. Man. You made a vague statment. Explain so we understand what exact suffering old people suffer there. Maybe I can learn
Mrs. Woman, suffering is any condition that threatens your health and saddens you. Suffering is in different forms. You are asking as if suffering is only one particular condition.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by 07kjb: 6:54pm On Jun 20, 2022
Enweghi ihe di ka OGBAKO UMUNNA
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by kabukabu50(m): 6:55pm On Jun 20, 2022
GistFullGround:
If there was good Electricity, & Healthcare, I will come home. I don't care about the roads.

I can get Borehole.

Crime over there is greater than Naija.

Public school really failed you.

My apartment building was robbed in Nigeria for almost 1 hour,they held everyone hostage,police did not show up.
In the US police is there in 5 mins.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by MatrixCircle: 6:55pm On Jun 20, 2022
Old people are lonely abroad but back home they are surrounded by family and if they have made success abroad life back home will be enjoyable basically one can pay for all of his or her needs with love ones always around to assist.
If even the man is 80years old he can marry another Young beautiful damsel to enjoy the rest of his life.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by omoadeleye(m): 6:55pm On Jun 20, 2022
Ile ni abo si mi oko...

Na house you go come rest after work for farm

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by tiger28: 6:56pm On Jun 20, 2022
Those days are gone!!!!
Who wants to Leave HEAVEN to live in HELL??
Gone are the days when Nigeria was peaceful. When I retire here , I want to be close to WHERE I can get FIRST CLASS healthcare with free medicare. This is not about hating on Nigeria but the reality on ground. Simple asthma attack can kill one in Nigeria where most hospitals don't have basic equipments. Kidnapping, ritualists, armed robber, Islamic fundamentalists, herdmen, NEPA, Fuel scarcity and EVEN WORSE , Police, Army,Navy, Air force,NSDC, Customs, immigration.........in fact anyone in Uniform.
THEN your family members who think you have money......How you go rest in Retirement

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by abbey621(m): 6:56pm On Jun 20, 2022
kabukabu50:

It doesnt cost anywhere close to $75 to live in most parts of the US,even much less a retiree.

These wanna be online informants who dont have passports spreading fake news everywhere.

Calm down, apart from living and working in the USA for over a decade now, I have grandparents in the USA and I am a co-owner of a healthcare agency. My figures are even conservative compared to elderly people living in California or Florida, do your research instead of blabbering!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by feedthenation(m): 6:57pm On Jun 20, 2022
---Weather---lonliness---taxes---
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by LienwaltAbel(m): 6:57pm On Jun 20, 2022
That's your business, once I leave and get citizenship. My passport is going into the sea. Stupid useless country.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by AlphaTaikun: 6:58pm On Jun 20, 2022
Apus:
You won't understand.

Abroad is good for hustle and enjoying basic amenities we lack here. Asides this, there is this feeling of emptiness or something missing each time you remember home.
When I was away I was even more current about latest happenings in Naija than those at home so as to feel connected.
True that.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by gambojimeta: 6:58pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mrpojj:

You still want to dey pay tax for old age?
I may be wrong, but I think pension are also taxable.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by sulaak(m): 7:00pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mode4:
I have been thinking why the few peeps I know including some of my distant uncles who spent most of their years abroad came back to Nigeria to live when they became old. Is there something awkward about growing old overseas?

Even my sister in the US, has been telling me that once she gets old, she will come back to Nigeria to spend the remainder of her life. Folks abroad, what's really going on? Is there a harsh reality for the aged over there?

Your pension goes further in Nigeria, the West. In the UK the government Pension is around £10,000 per annum. If you also have a private pension that pays an additional £10,000 per annum a £300,000 house.

Your sister's annual pension will ensure that she can own a nice home in Nigeria, employ four servants and cleaners to look after with her pension.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jun 20, 2022
Reason why they the age prefer home is simple. The weather over there does not go well with old age.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by benikad(m): 7:01pm On Jun 20, 2022
It's not about burial, most people go there to hustle, once u are made, one of the best place to enjoy ur money is Naija...

Personally me too will retired in naija

No place like home too......

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by NaijaOlosho(f): 7:01pm On Jun 20, 2022
Apus:
You won't understand.

This is the most reason
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by AlphaTaikun: 7:02pm On Jun 20, 2022
BigDawsNet:
Weather : when you get old... the freezing cold get into your body and knee.... it's not fun... People who know they have a place with warm weather will park back and relocate immediately

Taxes: they are tired of paying taxes.. they wanna go back home and live like a king with less tax to worry about

Properties: You can't hav more than 3 house here... it's not above the law...but where u won take get $500k*3 to get a house... rather they channel it back home... just 150k$ will build standard high rated 2 duplex

Extended family not all family get the chance to move to abroad. Old folks return home to create new life with this people they left decades ago...

Political they wanna get more involved in politics.

So they return home to support, vote and some may be lucky to get appointments
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by SeriouslySense(m): 7:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
smiley smiley right
Amalekki:
Different strokes for different folks. My uncle's friends don beg him taya to return 'home' to Nigeria, he said an emphatic no. Yes, some of them lived abroad and moved 'home' but not all grin

*I have noticed that we have a tendency to reach conclusions based on 1, 2, 3 examples around us. Is this a problem with our education?
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Rayzesty02(m): 7:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
Factors such as loneliness and social isolation accounts for the main reason why an average Nigerian overseas relocates back home to age gracefully. We take honour in surrounding & caring for our 'good' aged parents & relatives far more better than Americans & Europeans alike. I wouldn't want to be sent to old peoples home when I'm old and would love to live the last phase of my life with loved ones. The warm weather friendly for aging people is also a positive factor amongst others.....cost of living etc

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by SeriouslySense(m): 7:05pm On Jun 20, 2022
lol
APOSTLECHUMA:
IT'S A NATURAL THING AND IT IS ALSO COMMON AMONG ANIMALS. ONE IS TO REST, SECONDLY IS TO BE CLOSER HOME IN PREPARATION FOR THE JOURNEY INTO ETERNITY.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Xeedorf: 7:05pm On Jun 20, 2022
After enjoying all their life abroad, naija become a mortuary for them.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by sulaak(m): 7:06pm On Jun 20, 2022
kabukabu50:

The point is that it is cheap to retire in Nigeria than in the UK.

It is a win-win situation, Nigeria gets desperate FX and employment, and the retiree get good value for their money.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by snoopz: 7:06pm On Jun 20, 2022
Abroad, you have to continue spending money whether you're making it or not so when you're old, and your income is reduced, nobody go tell you say another place dey wey you fit dey live like king

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by jesmond3945: 7:08pm On Jun 20, 2022
Solofresh2:
Am currently in the UK right now and I can tell you that loneliness and inferiority complex is what is killing most Nigerians here.I came in just last week and I have made a lot friends here.
If you do things with pure hearts and you don't have an average Nigerian mentality, the whites will like you more.
Moreover,some people can't cope being on another man's land for long.
As for me I can die anywhere I find myself as long as am comfortable
lol goodluck on that. You would come to understand what friendship in uk means.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Edwin Ijeoma Who Renounced Nigerian Citizenship, Expelled From South Africa / Iwo Road In Ibadan Flooded, Roads Blocked - Photos / Collapsed Bridge: 21 Army Recruitment Applicants Die In Jigawa Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.