Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,556 members, 7,820,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:21 AM

Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? (40058 Views)

Promise Me You Will Come Back - Nigerian Lady Cries At The Airport / Two Men cling To A Moving Car In Order To Settle An Issue in Lagos (Pix, Video) / Hours After Relocating To Ireland, Engineer Vows Never To Come Back To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by cococandy(f): 6:30pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mode4:
I have been thinking why the few peeps I know including some of my distant uncles who spent most of their years abroad came back to Nigeria to live when they became old. Is there something awkward about growing old overseas?

Even my sister in the US, has been telling me that once she gets old, she will come back to Nigeria to spend the remainder of her life. Folks abroad, what's really going on? Is there a harsh reality for the aged over there?

It’s cheaper and the dollar goes a long way
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Ofodirinwa: 6:30pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mode4:
I have been thinking why the few peeps I know including some of my distant uncles who spent most of their years abroad came back to Nigeria to live when they became old. Is there something awkward about growing old overseas?

Even my sister in the US, has been telling me that once she gets old, she will come back to Nigeria to spend the remainder of her life. Folks abroad, what's really going on? Is there a harsh reality for the aged over there?

I live in the US and being old here is people waiting for you to die. In Nigeria the elderly have a lively social live, social clubs, social events. They're treated with respect for their age alone, and you can genuinely relax in Nigeria. The west is an extremely lonely society, especially if you're old. All of the people and things you grew up knowing are in Nigeria. An elderly person in the US still has to think about money too often. In Nigeria you don't have to worry too much about taxes etc. Nigerians abroad are abroad to work, when the work finished (retirement) they go to Nigeria. Lastly, retirement money in the US will make you poor but in Nigeria you'll be rich with the same amount.

11 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by MetaPhysical: 6:30pm On Jun 20, 2022
Because their retirement pay is insufficient to keep up with their acquired and drama-filled lifestyle. Pocket is no longer full. So they need somewhere still full of drama but wont break their pocket. Nigeria is very dramatic but less demanding on the dollar, thats why they come here.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Amalekki: 6:31pm On Jun 20, 2022
SMARTMOTORS:
Go and ask the price of mortuary, Casket and plane ticket for Corpse from Yankee to Nigeria...then u know why
With less than $5 a month, they can easily buy final expense insurance but trust our people to always live in Yankee like they are living in Ekiti. We need to do more in integrating into any system we find ourselves. We love creating our own 'mini Nigeria' anywhere we live. The amount some people send to Nigeria every month easily covers any problem they are likely to encounter. Just a thought, no judgment grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by SaturnNick(m): 6:31pm On Jun 20, 2022
Originalsly:
If you check ....the persons returning left when they were like 22 or older. They are rooted in Nigeria .... know a whole lot of people and can hang out with them ... have a social life....with little stress. Abroad... at 22 ... you will not make many friends... and those few friends may not live anywhere close to you. I see retired people everyday .... lonely... short of friends... same routine... wake up and get out... on warm days... get their folding chairs... sit at a certain spot... the meeting place.... and greet the passers by on their way to work. Retired people... limited friends... friends because they are retired and have nothing to do. If not healthy enough... they remain indoors... a home aide is provided to assist them... but they are basically isolated... solitary confinement... just existing. Returning home... same weather all year. One can always find old friends... unlimited because you knew sooo many people from school and the neighbourbood... never mind 75% of them have moved away and passed on ... there are still many around. You can relive experiences... reminisce....share experiences... catch up on what's been happening while you were gone ... enjoy good food.... no stress of bills and schedules....

Monday afternoon I have to put out the garbage after 4pm for Tuesday morning pick up.... Tuesday morning I have to get up before 8 a.m and double park the car to allow for street sweeping or face a fine .... then 9:30 I have to find parking or face fine for double parking.... Wednesday I have to pay the phone and internet bill or everything shut down.... Thursday I have to go grocery shopping or face the crowd Friday

....life on programme. Back in Nigeria... none of that stress... I sleep and wake when I wake. Even people not retired... the ones in their prime... returning... do you ever notice how excited they be (unless pestered by beggars)?... the stress off of them you can't tell.... but you can see how excited they are about food ... local food.... regardless of price... they will eat... and eat... and eat... missing in their lives. If one has left Nigeria after a certain age... he will never feel at home in a foreign land... he was there for the opportunities and the money... but after all has been achieved... and he is retired.... then two sayings make a whole lot of sense......

a house is not a home... and there is no place like home.

He will return for peace of mind and comfort in friends.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by gambojimeta: 6:32pm On Jun 20, 2022
cococandy:

It’s cheaper and dollar goes a long way
Absolutely.

There was even a documentary on it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Amalekki: 6:32pm On Jun 20, 2022
Ofodirinwa:

I live in the US and being old here is people waiting for you to die. In Nigeria the elderly have a lively social live, social clubs, social events. They're treated with respect for their age alone, and you can genuinely relax in Nigeria. The west is an extremely lonely society, especially if you're old. All of the people and things you grew up knowing are in Nigeria. An elderly person in the US still has to think about money too often. In Nigeria you don't have to worry too much about taxes etc. Nigerians abroad are abroad to work, when the work finished (retirement) they go to Nigeria. Lastly, retirement money in the US will make you poor but in Nigeria you'll be rich with the same amount.
Do your research before reaching conclusions, go out of your comfort zone and find out things around you grin
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Capuchinho: 6:33pm On Jun 20, 2022
Keeping up with lifestyle and bills is something after retirement..

But back home they'll walk and be treated as kings
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by GistFullGround: 6:33pm On Jun 20, 2022
If there was good Electricity, & Healthcare, I will come home. I don't care about the roads.

I can get Borehole.

Crime over there is greater than Naija.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by juman(m): 6:33pm On Jun 20, 2022
Just like some people move from city back to their villages in old age in nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by miqos02(m): 6:35pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mode4:

cost of burial abroad is expensive.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by juman(m): 6:36pm On Jun 20, 2022
Present nigeria is hell fire.

Elect better people to lead the country to modernity.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by gambojimeta: 6:36pm On Jun 20, 2022
GistFullGround:
If there was good Electricity, & Healthcare, I will come home. I don't care about the roads.

I can get Borehole.

Crime over there is greater than Naija.
grin

They don't have Fulani herds men over there. People can wake up and drive all around the city and states at 1am without fear of being kidnapped or robbed. Not sure you can say same about Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by DeLaRue: 6:36pm On Jun 20, 2022
Best bet, spend 15 - 20yrs abroad, return to Nigeria in your early 40s, and continue your life in Nigeria.

At that age, you are at your peak and you still have 2 - 4 yrs to get re-integrated here and still have another 20 active yrs before you retire.

Returning at 60 or 65yrs is a bit late I think, as you're likely to find it more difficult to cope. That's when you'll be saying bullshit! grin every minute because you can't cope with the system and the people.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by gambojimeta: 6:38pm On Jun 20, 2022
At OP, a very good example below:

1. You could be collecting an average of $1200 per month as pension.

2. Your house is now mortgage free and you sold it for $700,000. After taxes and commission e.t.c , you could still be left with maybe $600,000

So you are returning home to Nigeria with around $600,000 and your monthly pension of around $1200.

That is around 330,000,000 naira plus 660,000 naira monthly pension

With that amount, you will live extremely comfortable in Nigeria with cooks, chauffeur, maids e.t.c

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Cloud007: 6:39pm On Jun 20, 2022
Being nursemaid at a care home is so unAfrican.

They are winners.... they get to enjoy life abroad at young age...and enjoy life in Africa at the old age with a lot of money.

Wonderful

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Prosper1b1(m): 6:41pm On Jun 20, 2022
On a normal ground there is no place like home at old age you become important and valued when at home. Even pipo who travel to other state try to return home at old age. The reason for traveling has be fulfil. Going home makes them valued. I see some people say naija na place for d dead. Its a show of careless words and how mature they are. There is this peace u get when living with ur family even freedom in regard to self rights.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by abbey621(m): 6:42pm On Jun 20, 2022
Average person abroad has about $300,000 by retirement. Let's see how it plays out in 9ja and abroad like America:

USA:
Yearly healthcare cost: $50,000 minus medicaid/medicare = $15000
Annual other insurance: $2000
Cost of private duty nurse/nurse assistant(Home care): $25,000
Utilities(Gas, Electricity, Cable, Internet, Phone etc): $8000
Taxes: $5000
Food and Entertainment: $20,000
======
Expense Total: $75,000 yearly cost
Income Total (Social Security, etc): $1500 per month, $18,000 per year.
========
57,000 USD is needed per year to live comfortably in America at retirement age.

Nigeria
Yearly healthcare cost: $3000
Annual other insurance: $0
Cost of private duty nurse/nurse assistant(Home care) and maid service: $2,500 per year
Utilities(Security, Electricity, DSTV, Internet, Phone etc): $3000
Taxes: $0
Food and Entertainment: $10,000
======
Expense Total: $18,500 yearly cost
Income Total (Social Security, etc): $1500 per month, $18,000 per year.
========
500 USD is needed per year to live in Nigeria at retirement age.

A person age 65 or older with a retirement savings of 300,000 USD will survive comfortably for less than 6 years in America but will last over 50 years in Nigeria asssuming all things are equal and that persons owns a house in Nigeria or USA.

Even with all the security issues and inflation/unexpected expenses, one can live very comfortably in Nigeria assuming one has done the necessary hardwork while youthful and invested/saved properly!

5 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by juman(m): 6:42pm On Jun 20, 2022
miqos02:
cost of burial abroad is expensive.

Cremation is an option, cost about half to a third of burial depending on the country.

About 1,700 euro.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Backpedal: 6:42pm On Jun 20, 2022
Whiteshield:
Why do Igbos only go back to Igboland when they are to be buried?

If they mistakenly ressurect like this, they enter night bus out of Igboland.
M.oron
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by JAGS001(m): 6:43pm On Jun 20, 2022
immortalcrown:
Because the suffering there is not good for old age.

Very funny lol so oldage people are suffering in diaspora, abi home is always home no matter what.
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Naijanascam: 6:43pm On Jun 20, 2022
Because naijiria is nothing but a dumping ground........

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Jaqenhghar: 6:44pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mode4:

She wont come back. It depends on her health status. There is no way a man suffering from HBP will dream of coming back to a place where there is no health care.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by AllBlack: 6:44pm On Jun 20, 2022
Originalsly:
If you check ....the persons returning left when they were like 22 or older. They are rooted in Nigeria .... know a whole lot of people and can hang out with them ... have a social life....with little stress. Abroad... at 22 ... you will not make many friends... and those few friends may not live anywhere close to you. I see retired people everyday .... lonely... short of friends... same routine... wake up and get out... on warm days... get their folding chairs... sit at a certain spot... the meeting place.... and greet the passers by on their way to work. Retired people... limited friends... friends because they are retired and have nothing to do. If not healthy enough... they remain indoors... a home aide is provided to assist them... but they are basically isolated... solitary confinement... just existing. Returning home... same weather all year. One can always find old friends... unlimited because you knew sooo many people from school and the neighbourbood... never mind 75% of them have moved away and passed on ... there are still many around. You can relive experiences... reminisce....share experiences... catch up on what's been happening while you were gone ... enjoy good food.... no stress of bills and schedules....

Monday afternoon I have to put out the garbage after 4pm for Tuesday morning pick up.... Tuesday morning I have to get up before 8 a.m and double park the car to allow for street sweeping or face a fine .... then 9:30 I have to find parking or face fine for double parking.... Wednesday I have to pay the phone and internet bill or everything shut down.... Thursday I have to go grocery shopping or face the crowd Friday

....life on programme. Back in Nigeria... none of that stress... I sleep and wake when I wake. Even people not retired... the ones in their prime... returning... do you ever notice how excited they be (unless pestered by beggars)?... the stress off of them you can't tell.... but you can see how excited they are about food ... local food.... regardless of price... they will eat... and eat... and eat... missing in their lives. If one has left Nigeria after a certain age... he will never feel at home in a foreign land... he was there for the opportunities and the money... but after all has been achieved... and he is retired.... then two sayings make a whole lot of sense......

a house is not a home... and there is no place like home.

He will return for peace of mind and comfort in friends.

Well detailed detailing.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by immortalcrown(m): 6:44pm On Jun 20, 2022
Onyeziokwu:
Not about suffering mate!
Aged people are well looked after down here, the problem is boredom.
Abroad is not like naija where any of your kids could bring down his or her little one to come stay and care for you, friends rarely come around to say hi unlike what we've got back home etc. Just you in a flat or a care home, and then carers coming to check on you.
You think suffering means only the struggle to make money? Any condition that saddens you or threatens your health is suffering. If I am wrong, tell me why they come home in old age.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Jaqenhghar: 6:44pm On Jun 20, 2022
immortalcrown:
Because the suffering there is not good for old age.
What suffering?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Pootle: 6:45pm On Jun 20, 2022
the elderly are not treated the way we do here...every have to husl so once you get old they ship you old peoples home more or less like baby daycare
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by seunayantokun(m): 6:45pm On Jun 20, 2022
1. Life there is not easy.
2. You want to be closer to nature and your people as much as you desire.
3. Burial and funeral over there are more expensive and most of them do not have the financial muscle to plan for them given their circumstances.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Whiteshield: 6:45pm On Jun 20, 2022
Backpedal:

M.oron

All these mkpurummiri cannibals sef. Today is Monday, how did you get out of the cage ipob put you in?
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by immortalcrown(m): 6:46pm On Jun 20, 2022
Jaqenhghar:
What suffering?
Are they running from enjoyment?
Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Jaqenhghar: 6:46pm On Jun 20, 2022
BigDawsNet:
Weather : when you get old... the freezing cold get into your body and knee.... it's not fun... People who know they have a place with warm weather will park back and relocate immediately

Taxes: they are tired of paying taxes.. they wanna go back home and live like a king with less tax to worry about

Properties: You can't hav more than 3 house here... it's not above the law...but where u won take get $500k*3 to get a house... rather they channel it back home... just 150k$ will build standard high rated 2 duplex

Extended family not all family get the chance to move to abroad. Old folks return home to create new life with this people they left decades ago...

Political they wanna get more involved in politics.

So they return home to support, vote and some may be lucky to get appointments
Old people pay taxes?

1 Like

Re: Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? by Mrpojj(m): 6:47pm On Jun 20, 2022
Mode4:

You still want to dey pay tax for old age?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Iwo Road In Ibadan Flooded, Roads Blocked - Photos / Commuters Use Rope To Wade Through Flooded Road In Bayelsa To Link Rivers State / Lagos New BRT Buses: Analyzing The Facts And Figures - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.