Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,217 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:25 AM

Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. (27503 Views)

Maryam Mairo Tambuwal Visits Ancestral Home Of Her Husband In Sokoto / Tension In Plateau As STF Orders Fulani Out Of Ancestral Villages / Official Results Of Presidential Election: By INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem(m): 1:05am On Jul 30, 2011
amor4ce:

Molecular anthropology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Molecular_Anthropology
http://www.isita-org.com/jass/Contents/2010vol88/PDFonline/Jass2010_08_Destro-Bisol.pdf

thanks for the link smiley but i hope you read my post and read the link you provided. ( i am not afraid to be wrong as i do not know know all this things) lol

Now in your first link to shows that they could not differeniate the difference in a welhsi man and an english man as they have very similar genetic pattern but differnt language. ( you can tell me if i am wrong)

so how can they now differeniate the igbo and yoruba
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by jason123: 2:22am On Jul 30, 2011
alj harem:

thanks for the link smiley but i hope you read my post and read the link you provided. ( i am not afraid to be wrong as i do not know know all this things) lol

Now in your first link to shows that they could not differeniate the difference in a welhsi man and an english man as they have very similar genetic pattern but differnt language. ( you can tell me if i am wrong)

[size=14pt]KILLER BLOW!!![/size]
No more argument!!! cheesy
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by ektbear: 2:51am On Jul 30, 2011
Interesting. Yeah, I never quite understood how they'd be able to distinguish that closely via DNA. Maybe the science is good enough to tell the 250+ groups in Nigeria apart (or the main 3). If so, that is very impressive. But it seems like it'd be really hard.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by antitpiah: 3:30am On Jul 30, 2011

Why would it be impossible to deifferentiate a yoruba man from an Igbo man?

Ever heard of the Out of Africa migration?

It is more difficult differentiating a White man from a Yoruba man than Yoruba Vs. Igbo.

Think about it. Africa is the most diverse group on planet earth.  Issues like this cannot be thoroughly explained on NL.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem(m): 4:05am On Jul 30, 2011
jason123:

[size=14pt]KILLER BLOW!!![/size]
No more argument!!! cheesy
wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem(m): 4:08am On Jul 30, 2011
ekt_bear:

Interesting. Yeah, I never quite understood how they'd be able to distinguish that closely via DNA. Maybe the science is good enough to tell the 250+ groups in Nigeria apart (or the main 3). If so, that is very impressive. But it seems like it'd be really hard.

LOL grin grin grin grin grin that is the point

maybe DNA can tell the difference of who is awori and who is ijaw

maybe who is bini.ika and who is igbo

i dey laff at ignorance, grin grin grin grin
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by antitpiah: 4:31am On Jul 30, 2011
alj harem:

LOL grin grin grin grin grin that is the point

maybe DNA can tell the difference of who is awori and who is ijaw
maybe who is bini.ika and who is igbo

i dey laff at ignorance, grin grin grin grin

Actually it can. Have you heard of SNPs, haplotypes etc.

You need to learn about genetics before making fun of stuff. Honestly, We are more diverse and different than you think.

The difference between an Awori and Ijaw is more pronounced than the difference betweeen an Awori and a White man.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem(m): 4:38am On Jul 30, 2011
antitpiah:

You need to learn about genetics before making fun of stuff. Honestly, We are more diverse and different than you think.

The difference between an Awori and Ijaw is more pronounced than the difference betweeen an Awori and a White man.

yes just going to look to it now but i am sure DNA test can not tell the difference which amor4ce comfirmed from his links

i would look to it wink thanks
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem(m): 4:42am On Jul 30, 2011
antitpiah:

just read it now, it talks of mapping of the human genes but that does not prove anything undecided
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by ektbear: 6:42am On Jul 30, 2011
antitpiah:

I've heard of this Africa as the most genetically diverse place before. . . something like an East African is further away genetically from a West African than a white guy from an Asian.

But is this true for groups like Yoruba, Ijaw, Igbo, Edo, Hausa, who are all essentially neighbors? Are they "far away" genetically?

Is there a paper on the subject you'd suggest reading? I always thought that being able to narrow it down to the level of Yoruba vs say Edo would pretty hard.

BTW, can they actually tell Awori apart from white man? Whenever I see this stuff, rather than Awori vs. white, I see black vs. white. or "West African" vs. white. I didn't know they could narrow it that down deeply.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by amor4ce(m): 3:29am On Aug 05, 2011
@jason123 and alj harem, it is called peer review.

Human DNA genome is estimated to contain 3164.7 million chemical nucleotide bases (A, C, T, and G). If all humans today are 99.9% similar DNA content that leaves about 3,164,700 bases with variations - enough potential biomarkers if you ask me.

When constructing phylogenetic trees the assumption is that the representative sequences (eg Yoruba, Sudra, Nubians) are descended from a single ancestral sequence. The variations are then used to calculate the p-distance (estimate of evolutionary distance which requires correction) of non-identical alignment positions (perhaps orthologous genes with almost identical biochemical functions like muscular looking women). This can be combined with anthropological data to get a picture of the migratory patterns.

However, due to various mutation rates for different sequences, tracing ancestry can be carried out up till a certain period when the results begin to get ambiguous - as one gets closer to the present. If researchers can get DNA samples of some people who can reliably trace their ancestry up to, say 8,000 years ago these can be used as a sort of benchmark for comparison. For instance, if some Yoruba samples are analyzed some unique sequences common to the group would have been discovered. When an individual then wants to trace his ancestry his DNA sample is matched against this unique sequence and the degree of match used to determine (not very accurate though) the level of Yorubaness. Similarly, since the emergence of Ishan from Benin is recent the variation, if at all any, would be difficult to point out.

Also, linguistic analysis points to a Most Recent Common Ancestor (MRCA) for the Yoruba and Igbo. This MRCA is Abraham.

How about this? When Mr and Mrs A settle in the land of X and bear children, their combined and "randomly" distributed genetic profiles would be transmitted to their offspring (B,C & D). Each of the offspring would inherit a particular combination. B, C & D move out to establish their own territories and bear offspring. B begets B1, B2, B3, B4; C begets C1,C2; and D begets D1, D2, D3, D4, and D5. The individuals of this 3rd generation inherit distinct genetic profiles from their parents of the 2nd generation and also move out. We can thus safely infer that the 2nd and 3rd generation derived their genetic diversities from Mr and Mrs A. As Mr and Mrs A have the sequences found in all the offspring albeit for certain mutations we can further conclude that any group of people possessing all the sequence variations are the ones from which others were derived as their offspring who migrated would have lost sequences not useful to their new environments. Hence the Out-of-Africa hypothesis.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by amor4ce(m): 3:32am On Aug 05, 2011
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem3: 3:51am On Aug 05, 2011
amor4ce:

You can check these out as well

http://jandyongenesis..com/2009/03/edens-flood-east-and-west.html
http://jandyongenesis..com/2009/07/jebusites-unveiled.html

my brother, i read your links

ok if the jebu are the ones that formed the present day ijebu people, then that is different because the distiction can be seen

you said they can use a reference of lets say 8000 yrs yoruba as reference . but how are they sure the man in question is yoruba

there were migrates back in those days unlike now.

nupe, ashati, igbo(ugbo), ijaw(odudo) bini etc now how can they say that particular one is yoruba. is it because they can take the dna of an average yoruba on the street and compare ? if yes then it is very inaccurate

I have ijaw, yoruba, hausa, kanuri, igbo and bini blood in me. I am as mixed as a Nigerian can get (i believe)

what if lets say i marry, a nupe woman. and over the years my children also procreate. but ended up to be found in Igbo land

would you say there genes is X% of nupe and X% of kanuri when clearly they are igbo now

But all in all, I would accept this theory as I am no scientist

Thanks for the education brother smiley
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by amor4ce(m): 3:55am On Aug 05, 2011
I'll respond much later (tonight). All the best
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem3: 4:00am On Aug 05, 2011
amor4ce:

I'll respond much later (tonight). All the best

alright thanks
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by 9javoice1(m): 4:40am On Aug 05, 2011
@Alj harem.
Sory but i must say your arguement is lame.
do you think every group is as lazy as your fulani people? "No".
Stop your ascersion you are igbo,yoruba,ijaw blood pls we all know
already you are just an intruder in southern unity.pls be proud of your tribe or denounce them if you don't like.
i must say your arguement is a disgrace to scholars and experts and progresive minded people.

How is these dna thing hard for you to blv.anyway u will not,is it not ignorant that make the kano people to reject a vacine mernt to save them from polio.they say a lot of lame thing like "unislamic" they wana use it reduce our population etc.
we in the south already notice your backwardness that is why we need out. Pls my dear AMOR4CE don't waste your time teaching the block head,that thinks religion all the time than he think progresive.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by 9javoice1(m): 4:49am On Aug 05, 2011
we knw we are all from one parent at one time. we all blv it.
every individual has a unique dna of his own then associated by that of his parents
which associates with the grand parents and etc. so tell me how this dna issue is imposible for God sake.
Dificult "yes" but imposible "no".

Now every tree has a sterm and branch connected to sterm and sub branch conected to that branch etc.
so how is it dificult for a researcher to take all his time and study this and that and trace them to a point.

The arguement is not if we are all human being or africans, "no" but it's about our dna distint at a point.

And it's real and true. if you blv in the dna result of us and our immidiate parents then u need to blv that of our parents and ancestors. Look we have experts who are dedicated in their field reserching day in day out.

don't condem their work just because you hapen to come out from a lazy tribe that value a cow and sheep than human lives. sorry for the manners i use to reply you. i know if you see this in Koran you will quickly blv it,or if you hear it from one alhaji or imam (sanusi) you will quickly blv it.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem3: 4:50am On Aug 05, 2011
9ja voice:

@Alj harem.
Sory but i must say your arguement is lame.
do you think every group is as lazy as your fulani people? "No".
Stop your ascersion you are igbo,yoruba,ijaw blood pls we all know
already you are just an intruder in southern unity.pls be proud of your tribe or denounce them if you don't like.
i must say your arguement is a disgrace to scholars and experts and progresive minded people.

How is these dna thing hard for you to blv.anyway u will not,is it not ignorant that make the kano people to reject a vacine mernt to save them from polio.they say a lot of lame thing like "unislamic" they wana use it reduce our population etc.
we in the south already notice your backwardness that is why we need out. Pls my dear AMOR4CE don't waste your time teaching the block head,that thinks religion all the time than he think progresive.

why the insults
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by 9javoice1(m): 5:10am On Aug 05, 2011
when you hear researcher's pls they are not cattle relers,they are experts. Now go to far north villages and tell them there are an object that can fly people around in the air and see their response to it.don't say it in the name of allah. thier ans will shock you.

Now go to borno,kano,kastina and sokoto cities and tell them one day wings object will exist that will make us to fly on the air individualy like a bird,the answer will be walahi talahi its imposible.

but my dear what is unbelievable to you is possible to other's already. the op dna test never say any of them(5 nigeria guys) is purely of one tribe. meaning the reserchers do their home work well. also meaning they conducted and collected a lot of nigeria dna test results with them before making their conclusion.meaning they find out the connections inbetween.

do you know that american's and europeans are most critical human beings on earth.they don't blv yes just bcus one man say it,"No" there must be a multiply backup and comfirmations from other people before some extent of agreement. but pls Alj haram stop condeming what you don't know simply listen and learn. your copy and paste is disgustin
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by 9javoice1(m): 5:12am On Aug 05, 2011
@Alj harem. why the insults.

sorry if i insulted you in anyway. am realy sorry
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by amor4ce(m): 3:27am On Aug 06, 2011
would you say there genes is X% of nupe and X% of kanuri when clearly they are igbo now
Yes

you said they can use a reference of lets say 8000 yrs yoruba as reference . but how are they sure the man in question is yoruba
Right now scientists are making use of unilinear markers - mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) and the nonrecombining portion of the Y chromosome (NRY) - because of the characteristic of uniparental inheritance and the presence of lineage-specific markers and very soon will be able to "distinguish between different migration events which are very close in time". Also, this can be combined with genetic and genomic analysis of certain peculiar phenotypes like resistance or susceptibility to some pathogens, dietary adaptation, pigmentation, hair thickness and tooth morphology.

And as I mentioned earlier, Human DNA genome is estimated to contain 3164.7 million chemical nucleotide bases (A, C, T, and G). If all humans today are 99.9% similar DNA content that leaves about 3,164,700 bases with variations - enough potential biomarkers if you ask me.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by Nneoma123: 4:15am On Dec 05, 2011
I can tell you for a fact, that Yorubas who look just a bit pretty, always take pride that they are usually regarded as Omo Igbo. My pastor's wife, several sisters, etc. I attend a church with mostly Yoruba in it. I think Yoruba should take it easy. They like to sing Igbo choruses in church along with their own songs, and pretend they are singing it very well, in fact, they translate a lot of Igbo songs into their language as well. Just try to sing one of their songs with them, to be a part of the community, and see how they will snob you. The state with the prettiest Yoruba, I think Ondo, is so intermarried with Igbo. They themselves know Igbos are more attractive, but will still try to argue it out on this forum. Shameless Idiots.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by Nneoma123: 4:32am On Dec 05, 2011
I would like to add also, that I usually don't post to public forums, but took exception to this because of the stupidity of the argument. There is no argument. I have sat through social function upon social function, and have mostly Yoruba friends where I live. My pastor's wife, Bisoye Aregbesola, Mrs Dada, the Yoruba lady Bimpe who married an Ibo man called Mr. Onu, my own best friend Sister Ronke, etc, etc, have all told me on several occasions individually, that people have often thought they are Ibo when they were growing up in Nigeria. Several women have told me with pride how they are usually called Omo Igbo, and even said it to others who compliment them on their outfit or hair or something. I started wondering why Yoruba women who look a bit presentable, are full of pride that they are called Omo Igbo, as though that is the highest compliment they can get to prove their beauty. I know what I am saying. If you need additional names, I can provide them, and maybe their contact information. Let us forget about lying to protect our tribal pride. Beauty=Igbo. When it comes to music with soul and melody=Igbo. When it comes to being organized and cultured about life=Yoruba. When it comes to helping one another=Yoruba. We need to understand we all have different strenghts and weaknesses, and leave it at that.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by amor4ce(m): 6:56am On Dec 05, 2011
Nneoma123, when my Maker formed me, HE made me beautiful. Are you saying that is a lie and that I'm actually one of the shameless idiots or that you just mentioned a terrible lie? Remember that the devil is the father of lies.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by Nneoma123: 8:07am On Dec 19, 2011
I am not saying you are not beautiful. We are talking about Scientific and Social fact, history,etc, without trying to take it personally. When we look at human beings, and what we consider to be physically attractive worldwide; scientists, anthropologists, and social culture throughout the world, acknowledge certain ethnic groups in various cultures as known for certain qualities. When it comes to many good qualities, all ethnic groups have great qualities. When it comes to physical beauty, Igbos are regarded as more attractive than Yoruba. This remains a fact, whether or not people on this forum agree with it or not. Just ask any taxi driver, African person on the street (Nigerian or not), etc. In Nigeria today, it is common for people to feel they have a pearl, when they are married to Igbo. Igbo women are considered "expensive". In the military, an officer with an Igbo wife, has "arrived". Apart from the physical beauty, they are also known for hardwork and creativity. All women are beautiful, in my opinion. But when you talk about physical beauty, you cannot compare the Igbo women features with Yoruba. This is a well known fact. Even Yoruba boast of Ondo state having most beautiful women in Yorubaland. Go and check the facts: This is the state with the highest intermarriage with East; Igbo, delta-Igbo, etc, etc. It cannot be a coincidence. This is not even an argument, it is a public fact that is not limited to Nigerian opinion alone. It is a fact that your agreement or disagreement will not change.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by tpia5: 12:39pm On Dec 19, 2011
^^ogun, lagos and oyo states have the highest rates of intermarriage with the east/non-yorubas. Ogun in particular.

ondo and ekiti are very conservative when it comes to dating.

maybe you're referring to ondo town, but in general you really dont know much about anything.

your posts are loaded with ignorance.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by Afam4eva(m): 12:56pm On Dec 19, 2011
Tpia you're dead wrong and Nneoma is right. Most intertribal marriages that I've seen with Yorubas, Ondo people take the lead. They're also the most beautiful of all Yorubas from my assesment. Like I said in another thread, they tend to have light skin ladies just like Igbos.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem3: 1:08pm On Dec 19, 2011
Nneoma123:

I can tell you for a fact, that Yorubas who look just a bit pretty, always take pride that they are usually regarded as Omo Igbo.  My pastor's wife, several sisters, etc.  I attend a church with mostly Yoruba in it.  I think Yoruba should take it easy.  They like to sing Igbo choruses in church along with their own songs, and pretend they are singing it very well, in fact, they translate a lot of Igbo songs into their language as well.  Just try to sing one of their songs with them, to be a part of the community, and see how they will snob you.  The state with the prettiest Yoruba, I think Ondo, is so intermarried with Igbo.  They themselves know Igbos are more attractive, but will still try to argue it out on this forum.  Shameless Idiots.

I don't understand how this info has anything to do with DNA results ?

Igbo women are more attractive than yoruba, and so ?

been attracted to a woman has nothing to do with complexion.

Fulani's are more light skin than Igbos, can we say Igbos are an off-shot of fulani ?

Lastly it is not called Omo-ibo but omo Igbo Get your facts right

Now we can also argue that the light skin Igbos according to you comes mainly from Anambra and enugu alongside delta igbo area

This might because of their ancertal yoruba link in anambra onitsha which is a corrupt form of orisha in Yoruba and oritsha in edo/bini.

Take a look at delta igbos, there are 4 clans of which one is Olukumi and they still bare yoruba names till today ugbodu delta north

So we can argue that the so called light skin craze did not come from Igbo. Yes or NO ?

afam4eva:

Tpia you're dead wrong and Nneoma is right. Most intertribal marriages that I've seen with Yorubas, Ondo people take the lead. They're also the most beautiful of all Yorubas from my assesment. Like I said in another thread, they tend to have light skin ladies just like Igbos.

wrong, Ogun particularlly the Egbas/ijebus are more inclined to marry outside the yoruba enclave than ondo and ekiti and lagosians who are more reserved and rather keep to themselves
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem3: 1:23pm On Dec 19, 2011
Nneoma123:

I am not saying you are not beautiful. We are talking about Scientific and Social fact, history,etc, without trying to take it personally. When we look at human beings, and what we consider to be physically attractive worldwide; scientists, anthropologists, and social culture throughout the world, acknowledge certain ethnic groups in various cultures as known for certain qualities. When it comes to many good qualities, all ethnic groups have great qualities. When it comes to physical beauty, Igbos are regarded as more attractive than Yoruba. This remains a fact, whether or not people on this forum agree with it or not. Just ask any taxi driver, African person on the street (Nigerian or not), etc. In Nigeria today, it is common for people to feel they have a pearl, when they are married to Igbo. Igbo women are considered "expensive". In the military, an officer with an Igbo wife, has "arrived". Apart from the physical beauty, they are also known for hardwork and creativity. All women are beautiful, in my opinion. But when you talk about physical beauty, you cannot compare the Igbo women features with Yoruba. This is a well known fact. Even Yoruba boast of Ondo state having most beautiful women in Yorubaland. Go and check the facts: This is the state with the highest intermarriage with East; Igbo, delta-Igbo, etc, etc. It cannot be a coincidence. This is not even an argument, it is a public fact that is not limited to Nigerian opinion alone. It is a fact that your agreement or disagreement will not change.

You have not outlined the bone of contention here

Is beauty directly proportional to skin complexion ?

If yes, then we can argue that majority of Igbos are ugly then since they do not have more light skin than black skin. Moreover they bleach as well both the men and women.

If no, then we can argue that ur discussion here is funny one and should regarded as silly since beauty is not a genetic material passed along, if it is then all Igbos should look alike wouldn't they

We can also trace Ijaws we are majority dark skin to have more in common with the yorubas and hausa then since they are dark skin and live at the equator.

Do you know what causes skin complexion ? Do you think it is genetic or environment ?

We can also argue that Light skin can be liken to because of the thick jungles of the east where as the west has less thick

Ondo/edo/delta/Ogun axis has thick forest as well, thus we can they the nature has provide some shade from the sun, thus lightier skin than Oyo, Lagos balysea and Rivers can't we ?

I am eagerly waiting for you answer to this thanks smiley
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by amor4ce(m): 9:57pm On Dec 19, 2011
Nneoma123:

Isn't it this type of reasoning that was used in promoting Nazi ideology and the racism of the white supremacists? Do you know the meaning of the word narcissism?
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem3: 10:02pm On Dec 19, 2011
amor4ce:

Isn't it this type of reasoning that was used in promoting Nazi ideology and the racism of the white supremacists? Do you know the meaning of the word narcissism?

LOL grin grin grin grin grin grin she is just airing here views out just like others.

Although I am waiting for her to reply to my comment (if she feels like) cool
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem3: 11:07pm On Dec 19, 2011
Black or yellow grin grin grin grin grin grin grin enjoy Nneoma smiley

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2orOcKB_SA&feature=related[/flash]

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

FG Govt Borrows N473bn To Pay Salaries And Overheads. / Usifo Ataga: Chidinma Ojukwu Remanded in prison By Court For 30 Days / Tony Elumelu Visits Buhari And El-rufai (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.