Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,146 members, 7,815,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:49 AM

Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. (27518 Views)

Maryam Mairo Tambuwal Visits Ancestral Home Of Her Husband In Sokoto / Tension In Plateau As STF Orders Fulani Out Of Ancestral Villages / Official Results Of Presidential Election: By INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by tpia5: 4:40am On Jul 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

I wasn't really talking about that alone. It was more than that. But even on that topic, don't Nigerians in Nigeria bleach? Let us not pretend as if this is not an issue there. The evidence suggests otherwise, I think

some, but not the majority.

usually the socialite types when they do.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by Nobody: 5:10am On Jul 27, 2011
Offtopic, but I'm simply enjoying these orikis (even tho am not fluently understanding them), very poetic.

kiss

[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc1V91xDV5U?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash]

Mo ki yin ki yin, mo ki yin ki yin . . . . omo to shan were ge, to shan werege

play with words. Love it.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by ezeagu(m): 5:23am On Jul 27, 2011
tpia@:

^^effects of schooling overseas.

Rubbish.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by ezeagu(m): 5:28am On Jul 27, 2011
tpia@:

i'd need one who is yoruba speaking though.

if we cant understand ourselves [me speaking yoruba, him speaking igbo] na problem be that.

All the Igbo in Western Nigeria are Yoruba speaking.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by tpia5: 5:55am On Jul 27, 2011
^^that was before, not now.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by okadaman2: 7:13am On Jul 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

I understand your point. But it is natural everywhere. The issue is that some glorify it. There was a trailer for some movie which was circulating on facebook a few months ago in which black women talk about appearance. If I find it again I'll link you to it.

Err, I don't think so. Notice how Nigerians turn every thread involving foreign investment into colonization or whatever? Deep insecurity again. Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread, we can talk about this in another thread.

The type of insecurities you spoke of is learned, it is an acquired "distaste" so to say. Like @tpia said, it is more prevalent among Nigerians who lived as socially oppressed minorities outside the continent of Africa, especially those who are ignorant or dismissive of the struggles against racism, many first generation Africans immigrants fall into that category as they are largely disconnected from the AA struggle.

Many new generation AA's are disconnected too, especially those who were born after the black pride struggle of the 1960's

The other insecurities about "blaming colonialism" and "white people" is a different type, it can be both positive and negative. it is positive if it's based on fact and the realization that some of Africa's problems are rooted in the effects of colonialism. It is negative if it relies on the assumption that ALL of our problems are caused by colonialism and slavery.

But the fact that too many Africans are white-struck is very valid and sad, I'm not sure that we had that mentality before our first contact with Europeans and Arabs.

dem_people:

I na-eme ajo nkoyeli. A mukwadi gi ofuma? Kedu ka i ga-esi were bia ebea i chu ndiigbo aha?

Biko kwusi maka na inyugo nsi n'ulo uka. A na m ayo gi. I na-akpali Ndiigbo na-ebea. I na-echu anyi afa. Kwanyere Ndiigbo ugwu.

I kwesiro ibia ebea na-ede ihea i na-ede.

Are you admonishing vicenzo or trying to censure him?
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by Sike(m): 7:45am On Jul 27, 2011
No WONDER!!!!
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by UpDates1(m): 8:24am On Jul 27, 2011
cool cool cool
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by londoner: 10:40am On Jul 27, 2011
Interesting, all were 100% Nigerians though and 100% Black, for a group of five random Nigerians that says alot also.

I was expecting to see ancestry from outside Nigeria, especially as they are from various corners of Nigeria.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by Nobody: 11:22am On Jul 27, 2011
This argument about who is better should stop, it's getting irritating. You lots are like primary school kids arguing about 'my daddy can beat your daddy'. Seems you people are jobless or something. These stereotypical and extreme views of tribes shows how uneducated and ignorant you lots are. If a Yoruba man thinks he is better than an Igbo, fine. If an Igbo man thinks he is better than a Yoruba man, fine. It wont change anything on this planet. There are more pressing issues we share in common like poverty and bad governance, which is worth discussing about.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by liquid7: 12:27pm On Jul 27, 2011
10 pages and only jenifa has actually come out to say what i said.The original poster story is very questionable for reasons already given.
but like everything in nigeria once you mention the word tribe then it sparks a debate of who is better without looking into the concept of the original topic.
I think the original poster did "create" this story to promote unity though.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by BigMeat2: 12:41pm On Jul 27, 2011
I don't think in the present day Nigeria, there can be someone who is 100% from a particular region.

I will give mine as an example, though a Yoruba by tribe from Ondo State.

I found out through family history that my father's side originally migrated from present day Kogi State. Although I have seen traces of Fulani history in the story.

On my mother's side, they migrated from Edo state, with some traces of Warri blood.

So along the years and centuries, we have some how inter-mingled in Nigeria, hence the results identified in the poster's report.

In short, let us all in harmony as we're one big family called Nigeria.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by rahouf1: 12:43pm On Jul 27, 2011
what an interesting topic, we human being migrated from one place to another, our parent adam and eve are the source of migration to these world, i believe they alone can explain better.
please who will volunteer to seek for our history from them?  cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by bashr4: 12:50pm On Jul 27, 2011
alj harem:

grin grin grin grin grin don't mind them. they don't understand that black means beauty. it is what white people call inferiority complex where black africans want to be white jews by force or according to them "they want to go back to there natural complexion"

grin grin grin yes they are the most pan-african group.i dey laff o

your very stupid for this statement , so igbo people should start killing themselves because majority dont have black skin? God punish you there i think your the one with inferiority complex. i dont know what it is with non easterners and skin color . we dont all have the same color deal with it or form your own country if you dont like the way God created you.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem(m): 1:34pm On Jul 27, 2011
bashr4:

your very silly for this statement , so igbo people should start killing themselves because majority dont have black skin? God punish you there i think your the one with inferiority complex. i dont know what it is with non easterners and skin color . we dont all have the same color deal with it or form your own country if you dont like the way God created you.

dude who said anything about killing or whatever u wrote up there

did you read what viceno wrote about his family. i dey laff ooo

he said he wants to eliminates all the dark skin in his family. that his parents have been doing it before him.

is that not inferiority complex.

I think the light skin issue depends on the family,my family loves light skin a lot,right from the days of my great great granfather,male members are adviced to marry a light skined and beautiful wife,there is always an unspoken sadness,when someone marries a dark or brown skined wife,even the girls are praised when they marry a light and skined handsome person,when a family member sees a light skined and [/b]beautiful girl child,he runs back home to report to the umunna,who in turn visits the girls parents to ask for the child's hand in marrage,the umunna then presents one of its male members as the suitor.[size=13pt][b]This was the practice long time ago,it is no longer practiced,but because of it,we have a lot of really light skined people in my family and less brown/dark people.
[/size]
When m[b]y dark skined brother wanted to marry an ngwa girl,my mum saw red,but when she learnt that she was beautiful and light skined,she thought that where she is from doesn't matter,lol,as long as she was concerned,it was a chance to eliminate the dark genes,and when she gave birth to three light skined children,it was a win-win situation for my mum and my brother,hehehe![/b]

Not at all,being light skined and good looking is an advantage[b],it stands you out from the crowd,it can open doors for you, especially when you have a good head on your shoulder.My grandfather told me that they did it because they wanted to have outstanding daughters,who would in turn marry influential members of the clan. [/b]
[quote/]
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by Gbenge77(m): 1:42pm On Jul 27, 2011
Interesting.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by ChinenyeN(m): 3:48pm On Jul 27, 2011
[quote="EzeUche"]I still believe the Ijaw are the earliest inhabitants of Nigeria. They were just pushed to the coast by the much larger and aggressive groups.[/quote]
[quote="EzeUche"]Being pushed towards the coast can make any group water based. Look at some Yoruba clans like the Ilaje are water based.[/quote]
[quote="EzeUche"]How do you know they were never land based? Many Ijaws see themselves as the earliest inhabitants of Nigeria.[/quote]

Don't talk about what you don't know.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by Kc3000: 6:26pm On Jul 27, 2011
This is an excellent development that might help curb some of the tribalism in Nigeria, as people realize that the person you hate b'cos of his ethnicity, might actually be more related to you than the person you are colluding with. I'm not surprised that all the tribalists that call nairaland home are incensed by this development.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by sbeezy8: 1:12am On Jul 28, 2011
[size=13pt]OK IM BACK, NOW EZE UCHES NOSE IS STILL FAT AS HE77[/size]

the thing is really big, his head i shaped like a triangle n hes dark skinnd unless[b] thats not him never heard some yarn about light skinsoooo much  n be soooo dark skin lol.[/b] dat nigge is dum.b.

that pic is sooo average lookin he looks like a mechanic!
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by odumchi: 4:50am On Jul 28, 2011
Why are people stressing themselves with this light-skinned dark-skinned issue?

Yorubas generally have dark skin because their land is closer to Mid-West Africa (the place that recieves one of the highest amounts of sunlight on earth) this also explains why Ghanaians are dark.

Hausas are generally dark-skinned also because their land is semi-arid and recieves alot of sunlight.

Igbos and Easterners are generally light-skinned because the East is a heavily forested area (more forested than any pther part of Nigeria) and this plays a large role in the development of skin tone.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by amor4ce(m): 4:55am On Jul 28, 2011
odumchi, what is your basis for your claim that the "East" is/was more forested than any other part of Nigeria? Can you please offer some substantiation?
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by odumchi: 4:58am On Jul 28, 2011
^^^^
Pull up aterrain map. Parts of the Congo Forest that covers Congo, parts of Cameroun and Parts of Eastern Nigeria cover the East. This explains why animals that are only found in Central Africa can be found in Eastern Nigeria (ie Chimpanzees).
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by tpia5: 4:59am On Jul 28, 2011
the light/dark dichotomy started with this post of afam4ever:

Why is it that Yorubas from the old ondo state are usually fair in complection as opposed to other Yorubas? And may of them have the disposition of Igbos.

things heated up from there.

he also said oyos have the darkest skin with white teeth.

the way we classify ourselves is simply amazing.

maybe we should abolish tribes and just regroup as light versus dark.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by odumchi: 5:00am On Jul 28, 2011
T
^^^
The farther you go West in Africa, the darker the skin tone.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by Relax101(m): 5:00am On Jul 28, 2011
sbeezy8:

[size=13pt]OK IM BACK, NOW EZE UCHES NOSE IS STILL FAT AS HE77[/size]

the thing is really big, his head i shaped like a triangle n hes dark skinnd unless[b] thats not him never heard some yarn about light skinsoooo much  n be soooo dark skin lol.[/b] dat nigge is dum.b.

that pic is sooo average lookin he looks like a mechanic!

You are not making any sense,
We know you so stoopiddly ugly and you trying so hard to hang on to someone to boost your ugly self.
Go find your ugly comrades in your family.
One more thing, go get a life eeddiiooottt, the topic is not about Ezeuche.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by amor4ce(m): 5:01am On Jul 28, 2011
How is that related to the forests in other parts of the country?
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by Nobody: 5:02am On Jul 28, 2011
Igbos have some kind of complex for skin color.

Why is it a problem tfor them hat Yorubas are dark? Are we complaining?

Even light skinned Hausas/Fulanis are not making as much noise.

This is why the white man continues to call y'all blackie monkeys.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by amor4ce(m): 5:02am On Jul 28, 2011
odumchi, How about the Sudanese to the East, don't they have a darker complexion in comparison to other African groups?
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by odumchi: 5:06am On Jul 28, 2011
Let me rephrase myself. The more you move West of the Congo Forest, the darker the skin tone.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by tpia5: 5:08am On Jul 28, 2011
east of the congo has serious arab or some other admixture.

some are still dark though eg ethiopians.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by amor4ce(m): 5:09am On Jul 28, 2011
Have you seen the "black" peoples of South Kordofan, Nubia and South Sudan?
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by dayokanu(m): 5:11am On Jul 28, 2011
Odumchi,

Berbers, touaregs and Fulanis live in the extremely sunny desert and they are largely fair skinned

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Certificate Controversy: Abuja Lawyer Drags Buhari To Court / Sanwo-Olu: It Is Illegal To Reject Old Naira Notes In Lagos / Edo APC Ridicules PDP On Facebook, See Public Reaction (snapshots)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.