Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:53 AM

Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada (102320 Views)

Why Immigrants Can Never Be Happy In Their New Country / Leaving Canada.......... Secrets / Reasons Why Immigrants Are Now Leaving Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by ednut1(m): 2:41pm On Aug 28, 2022
Op and her friend kindly update us when you guys are leaving Canada too grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by GEEBITE: 2:46pm On Aug 28, 2022
Brilliantly put together. I am happy relocating abroad has broaden your spectrum and has helped to get your points across without being uncouth compared to some years back.
ednut1:
Although the op na my friend i will tackle her.

1. There are people building wealth in cheaper provinces like Alberta or New Brunswick where houses go for 300k to 400k. In Ontario its like 900k to 1.5m for the average house and you suppose drop 5% deposit for mortgage. Married people or common law guys are able to build wealth too due to combined income. Solution is move to a cheaper province, get married or find a partner.
2 . Cost of living- where in the world is not costly. With all the amenities, free resources, and standard of living why should it be cheap There are many people earning 3700 dols a month but staying in apartments costing 2200 dols. Is that not madness. Some are one 2500 a month but their rent is 1800 lol
3 . Boredom and loneliness- Nigerians move to a cold country and refuse to do what whites do in the winter. Whose fault is that Many ladies from Nigeria have unrealistic expectations and are single to stupor. Whose fault is that Lol
4 cold. Get a good winter jacket or knacks partner. Nothing dey there
5. Professional jobs- doctors know this before coming and should have explored uk. A friend passed the medical exams in 18months its doable. Yes there are issues with Canada experience but with constant applications and upgrading ones skills. You will be able to get in. You and i both know many people with only Nigerians experience or degrees balling in big companies

Oya come back home o.

I know people especially tech who moved to usa after getting their Canada citizenship. More money is involved and passport privileges too don set. The Canadian passport opens doors to better countries

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Beremx(f): 3:20pm On Aug 28, 2022
rickleye:

Okay- let me establish contact.
Give me a week and I’ll get back to you.
okay bro. Thanks
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by baretalk: 3:30pm On Aug 28, 2022
That's the queen's own town, you either come spend money here or work and pay the Queen taxes, for staying in her own insured estate.
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 3:35pm On Aug 28, 2022
franchasofficia:
I understand the urge to defend where you live, but you guys are misinterpreting the op.

The op didn't say Nigeria is better than Canada.

She listed points and I can boldly tell you that all she said are true.

After Moscow Russia, Canada is one of the coldest countries on earth, so it is normal for blacks to feel awkward about the new cold weather, and that cold have made many people leave Canada, so the op didn't lie.

Wealth creation: the op is 100% correct. It is easier to become rich in USA, Australia, and some other developed countries than in Canada. To become rich in Canada is very difficult just as it is also difficult to become rich in UK as a Nigerian migrant unless you join business/entrepreneurship.

Go to any community in Nigeria, the richest people (professionals) living abroad from that community are either those living in the US, Europe and maybe UK, you can hardly hear of a rich Nigerian living in Canada, so it is a prove that Nigerians living in Canada hardly become rich in Canada, they could be comfortable but rich, nope.

The op is absolutely correct with that point.

Loneliness: the op is also very correct.

Medical professionals: Canada is the only country that require a foreign trained Nurse to acquire Canadian nursing license before studying nursing in Canada. It is bullshiiit. Canadian healthcare system is below US, UK, Germany and others that accept our Nurses without further educational qualification from their country. How many groundbreaking medical research comes out of Canada? How many new drugs are manufactured in Canada? How many rare case surgeries are first discovered or performed in Canada?

Canada is good for Nigerians tired of Nigeria and have no other developed country option to migrate to, but it is never an option for someone that can migrate to US, Australia, Germany, etc to consider.

US is the number one country where nobody can become billionaire.

Ellon Musk tried in Canada and couldn't achieve his dream of becoming a billionaire in Canada so he migrated to US and today he is the richest man on earth.

How many world billionaires comes from Canada? Absolutely none that is known but US, UK, Australia, Germany, France, etc have long list of billionaires which should tell you where the wealth is.

Canada is not for anybody that desires to become rich and wealthy, it is for people that want to break the yoke of family poverty and give their children a secured future to become middleclass and upper middleclass.

I am not defending. Just saying what I know.

Do you live here? The Nigerian community in Canada is largely new. The mass migration to Canada began after 2014/2015. It’s too early to do the intense comparative analysis you are doing, but I know the countries to highlight what I know.

Cold….Alberta is colder than Ontario. Winter is largely Winter in the Western world.

Go to the UK, 80-90% of Nigerians who moved there in the last 10 years still live in small rented houses. I lived in a community in Canada where 14 of us bought our homes within 2 years of landing.

I lived in the UK studying from UG to PhD level. I know the US well too. While you can make more money in the US, healthcare, childcare and other costs and cultural violence makes it an expensive place to live and raise kids.

Sha, I no get the time to waste on your points.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 3:37pm On Aug 28, 2022
Bossmanmoves:

You've said something worthwhile but at the end, I'm just wondering '' are you really that educated".
Just a thought though ( I don't see the reason why you have to be insultive ).
Don't let me think you aren't matured.
I want to believe you are matured

I am not that educated, I am a tiny ignorant voice saying my truth. I was just irritated by a mindset reflected in that post and the generalizations. My apologies sha. �

1 Like

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by franchasofficia: 3:41pm On Aug 28, 2022
apolonius:

I am not defending. Just saying what I know.

Do you live here? The Nigerian community in Canada is largely new. The mass migration to Canada began after 2014/2015. It’s too early to do the intense comparative analysis you are doing, but I know the countries to highlight what I know.

Cold….Alberta is colder than Ontario. Winter is largely Winter in the Western world.

Go to the UK, 80-90% of Nigerians who moved there in the last 10 years still live in small rented houses. I lived in a community in Canada where 14 of us bought our homes within 2 years of landing.

I lived in the UK studying from UG to PhD level. I know the US well too. While you can make more money in the US, healthcare, childcare and other costs and cultural violence makes it an expensive place to live and raise kids.

Sha, I no get the time to waste on your points.
The only point you raised that demarkets US compared to Canada is gun violence and then racial profiling.

Go to Nigerian schools back in Nigeria, the biggest diaspora donors and funders of academic and other programs in their alma mater are those living in the US mostly, then Europe and maybe UK. You can hardly find a rich Nigerian professional living in Canada.

UK and Canada are almost at the same level; it is difficult to become rich in both Canada and UK when compared to other developed countries.

Canada is a beautiful country for people satisfied with living middleclass and upper middleclass life, not meant for migrants with bigger dreams of becoming rich financially, you know what I am saying.

Have a beautiful day

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by AirBay: 3:50pm On Aug 28, 2022
Whizqueen get sense o.

Viewers go don full her channel.

Good job gal grin

1 Like

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 3:55pm On Aug 28, 2022
ednut1:
people are making 200k to 300k doing two remote jobs like you said. Op should come back first lol

A friend moved to the GTA, Canada to join his family in October last year. He has been working with 3 banks because of the remote work and making $26k monthly. He is a Project Manager.

I know friends that came in 2018/2019 who are Vice Presidents of banks like CITI among others.

I am talking about people in my circle. These things can be verified in the WhatsApp groups of former bankers from Nigeria. You can also go on LinkedIn. I can give names!�

People talk about the US and the UK. Most of the Nigerians I studied with, often from rich families, are in the UK doing security jobs, working in Morrison’s, ASDA and MacDonald’s. I am proud of them but it’s what they can get.

Unlike the UK where Canary Wharf and big city jobs are for the Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial College, LSE lots, many Nigerians working in big Canadian banks and holding prime positions studied in Ife, Awka, Osogbo, Anyigba, Zaria and Abeokuta. Nothing more! �

Yes, some Nigerians are teachers and nurses in the UK and the US. How much do Nigerian nurses and teachers make in the UK? 26-34k annually. Nigerian professors in UK universities make 50-75k annually. I have a sister teaching in a high school in Alabama with a PhD in education leadership. Her income is less than $50k annually.

Professors in Canada, starting with the lowest rank of Assistant Professor earns between $137-150k. Full professors earn between $160-350k. If you want to check do the next thing:

Google the Ontario Sunshine List where the government mandates that people making salaries of $100k above be displayed. For instance, check for Professor Obi Okafor of Osgoode Law School. I will delete this in few minutes!�

2 Likes

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by monfizzy(m): 3:56pm On Aug 28, 2022
So Canada isn’t so much better than the U.K. after all. I’ve always known the main advantage Canada has over the U.K. is the Express entry PR route and nothing more unless that I keep hearing that their child benefit is about $500 a month per child. Which I find huge. Can anyone in Canada confirm if child benefits there is that much and is it means tested or doesn’t matter the income of the parents?
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 3:59pm On Aug 28, 2022
BennyDGreat:

Well...I think what makes the difference is knowledge. Knowing what you want and going for it will reduce moving around in circles.
What the Op wrote isn't trash actually.
What does people you know have in common is knowledge and Proper planning. What the Op wrote applies to those who don't have these two.

I agree. Life, success and opportunities are almost always relative. Another key influence on what you do and get is the immigration pathway that brought you to Canada. If you came through the Express Entry with your PR or Spousal Sponsorship for PR/Work Permit, your challenges will be fewer. If you came as a student, the challenges will be higher to transition to PR. If you came as a Refugee Claimant, the challenges will be higher and the opportunities will be fewer and lower initially. These things affect so much greatly.

1 Like

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 4:00pm On Aug 28, 2022
franchasofficia:
I understand the urge to defend where you live, but you guys are misinterpreting the op.

The op didn't say Nigeria is better than Canada.

She listed points and I can boldly tell you that all she said are true.

After Moscow Russia, Canada is one of the coldest countries on earth, so it is normal for blacks to feel awkward about the new cold weather, and that cold have made many people leave Canada, so the op didn't lie.

Wealth creation: the op is 100% correct. It is easier to become rich in USA, Australia, and some other developed countries than in Canada. To become rich in Canada is very difficult just as it is also difficult to become rich in UK as a Nigerian migrant unless you join business/entrepreneurship.

Go to any community in Nigeria, the richest people (professionals) living abroad from that community are either those living in the US, Europe and maybe UK, you can hardly hear of a rich Nigerian living in Canada, so it is a prove that Nigerians living in Canada hardly become rich in Canada, they could be comfortable but rich, nope.

The op is absolutely correct with that point.

Loneliness: the op is also very correct.

Medical professionals: Canada is the only country that require a foreign trained Nurse to acquire Canadian nursing license before studying nursing in Canada. It is bullshiiit. Canadian healthcare system is below US, UK, Germany and others that accept our Nurses without further educational qualification from their country. How many groundbreaking medical research comes out of Canada? How many new drugs are manufactured in Canada? How many rare case surgeries are first discovered or performed in Canada?

Canada is good for Nigerians tired of Nigeria and have no other developed country option to migrate to, but it is never an option for someone that can migrate to US, Australia, Germany, etc to consider.

US is the number one country where nobody can become billionaire.

Ellon Musk tried in Canada and couldn't achieve his dream of becoming a billionaire in Canada so he migrated to US and today he is the richest man on earth.

How many world billionaires comes from Canada? Absolutely none that is known but US, UK, Australia, Germany, France, etc have long list of billionaires which should tell you where the wealth is.

Canada is not for anybody that desires to become rich and wealthy, it is for people that want to break the yoke of family poverty and give their children a secured future to become middleclass and upper middleclass.

We are talking about Nigerians. How many are billionaires in the US, UK et al?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Wwwq: 4:02pm On Aug 28, 2022
Really
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by franchasofficia: 4:03pm On Aug 28, 2022
apolonius:

We are talking about Nigerians. How many are billionaires in the US, UK et al?
There are so many Nigerians who are millionaires in USD in the US and some EU countries, even UK, but none that we know in Canada.

Even among indigenous Canadians, you can hardly find dollar billionaires, if any, must be a handful compared to US and EU
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 4:07pm On Aug 28, 2022
folake4u:

Hello. Interesting writeup.

So basically, you're saying that just the same way you did Bar 1& Bar 2 over here in Nigeria, you'd start all over before practising in Canada?

How feasible is Law Practice in Canada, particularly on Health law, Tech Law and Intellectual Property Law.

I'd be anticipating your reply. Thank you.

To get licensed as a lawyer, you need to apply to the NCA, get assigned some courses and write the exams. The exams are written a few times annually. You can write all in one sitting if you are a genius. If you pass and get your NCA certificate, you then apply to the Law Society of Ontario or the province where you want to practice. The Bar exams-Barrister and Solicitor’s-are written 3 times a year. Not sure if this has increased or decreased because of the pandemic-induced changes.

If you pass the bar exams, you can either apply for Articling or get an exemption as I did. Of course, you will called to the bar. What you do after that is up to you.

Those who love transactional practice areas and with good experience can join banks and corporations as In-house Counsels or join law firms-big, medium and small.

Networking will determine how fast you get good opportunities to practice after your call.

Hope this helps.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 4:07pm On Aug 28, 2022
femijay8271:

Boss, i fit send u a Gmail message

Please do!
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by ednut1(m): 4:10pm On Aug 28, 2022
apolonius:

A friend moved to the GTA, Canada to join his family in October last year. He has been working with 3 banks because of the remote work and making $26k monthly. He !�
I also work in one of the places you mentioned and have friends that I also referred there. But some idiots are here arguing with me or calling me a liar. Going forward i will ignore. I’m mot responsible for their misery lol
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 4:12pm On Aug 28, 2022
Eagba:

why can't our sisters get oyinbo easily

Demand and supply. Even Oyibos aren’t getting Oyibos easily. The concept of marriage is fast waning in the Western world. Also, many men and women are experimenting and stretching the boundaries of their sexualities. It’s a hedonist age.

But, they are many great dating sites for those looking for adventures, experience and pleasures. Seeking Arrangement is one for sugar girls looking for sugar daddies!���

Jokes apart, I think a young Naija lady who is doing well in Canada can look back home, find and attract good Naija men. You may eat frogs a few times. You may bring them to Canada and lose them.

…But your chances are always brighter with your own kind.

Marriage and its survival in Canada na another story for another day. Ask any family lawyer!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by ednut1(m): 4:13pm On Aug 28, 2022
monfizzy:
So Canada isn’t so much better than the U.K. after all. I’ve always known the main advantage Canada has over the U.K. is the Express entry PR route and nothing more unless that I keep hearing that their child benefit is about $500 a month per child. Which I find huge. Can anyone in Canada confirm if child benefits there is that much and is it means tested or doesn’t matter the income of the parents?
when most Nigerians come they declare their previous Nigerian income ( its a requirement to declare previous income) . Which make them qualify for the maximum child benefits around 600 cad a month. As income increases the benefits reduces with time. Someone with over 100k salary will be getting around 250 dols a month as child benefit. While the ones below 32k get the max amount

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 4:15pm On Aug 28, 2022
ednut1:
I also work in one of the places you mentioned and have friends that I also referred there. But some idiots are here arguing with me or calling me a liar. Going forward i will ignore. I’m mot responsible for their misery lol

Good to know, bro. Ignore them. People don’t know what they don’t know. For many Nigerians, the default defence for their ignorance is to insult. You just can’t help them. Live your life and have fun.

We may have crossed paths. TD and Scotia banks are two of his 3. To avoid identification, will leave out the third. Nice to connect here.
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Amayabor1: 4:18pm On Aug 28, 2022
Lonepair1:
guy you are just mad !! Point out where I said traveling abroad is not wise ?? Stop imposing what I did not say on me !

Lol. English is really hard. I didn't say traveling abroad is not wise. Read the summary of the conversation below;

You: so no Nigerian doctor have survived in Nigeria Australia?? UK ?? Or us ?? Or even south Africa, Dubai ?
That's not an excuse bro.. you can succeed anywhere !!!

Me: You can succeed in Nigeria. Those that want to go abroad to succeed, let them be. You are not wiser than them.

What i meant was that if you as a person want to succeed in Nigeria, good for you. If other Nigerians feel they want to travel abroad to succeed, good for them too. You that wants to succeed in Nigeria is not wiser than the person who thinks he will succeed abroad.
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Amayabor1: 4:18pm On Aug 28, 2022
Lonepair1:
how please ?? Mind you , I don't mind traveling but Canada is a NO No

Your choice bro!
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 4:18pm On Aug 28, 2022
franchasofficia:
There are so many Nigerians who are millionaires in USD in the US and some EU countries, even UK, but none that we know in Canada.

Even among indigenous Canadians, you can hardly find dollar billionaires, if any, must be a handful compared to US and EU

We have millionaires in Canada. We know them. You don’t. So, your opinions are not necessarily the facts.

Indigenous billionaires? Are you joking? Given their history and the trauma of their lives, you really want to go there? How many native Americans are billionaires?

I guess we are looking at different things. If you truly know the 2 countries, you won’t be discussing these things. Americans are running to Canada daily.
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by olalekan9320(m): 4:22pm On Aug 28, 2022
ednut1:
Although the op na my friend i will tackle her.

1. There are people building wealth in cheaper provinces like Alberta or New Brunswick where houses go for 300k to 400k. In Ontario its like 900k to 1.5m for the average house and you suppose drop 5% deposit for mortgage. Married people or common law guys are able to build wealth too due to combined income. Solution is move to a cheaper province, get married or find a partner.

3 . Boredom and loneliness- Nigerians move to a cold country and refuse to do what whites do in the winter. Whose fault is that Many ladies from Nigeria have unrealistic expectations and are single to stupor. Whose fault is that Lol
4 cold. Get a good winter jacket or knacks partner. Nothing dey there

I know people especially tech who moved to usa after getting their Canada citizenship. More money is involved and passport privileges too don set. The Canadian passport opens doors to better countries
Regarding 1 and 4 to get partner, I haven't been here for long, where una dey see partners, the apps I downloaded where asking for 30 dollars per month, na so una dey pay, abeg recommend wetin to do
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by ednut1(m): 4:25pm On Aug 28, 2022
olalekan9320:
Regarding 1 and 4 to get partner, I haven't been here for long, where una dey see partners, the apps I downloaded where asking for 30 dollars per month, na so una dey pay, abeg recommend wetin to do
instagram , clubhouse, meet up etc are free apps to meet people in Canada. Clubs , parks and tourist attractions too dey. You go see people there
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 4:28pm On Aug 28, 2022
1east:

You are very correct

I don’t indulge these people. But to support people like you, I will.

I know a guy working with Amazon from Oshawa. He makes $345k. They have overwhelmed him with an offer to move to Texas. He leaves next month.

1 Like

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 4:31pm On Aug 28, 2022
ednut1:
when most Nigerians come they declare their previous Nigerian income ( its a requirement to declare previous income) . Which make them qualify for the maximum child benefits around 600 cad a month. As income increases the benefits reduces with time. Someone with over 100k salary will be getting around 250 dols a month as child benefit. While the ones below 32k get the max amount

We got the benefits and it helped us greatly initially. In fact, our first car was from the first lump sum payment. �
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by olalekan9320(m): 4:31pm On Aug 28, 2022
ednut1:
instagram , clubhouse, meet up etc are free apps to meet people in Canada. Clubs , parks and tourist attractions too dey. You go see people there
thank you for the recommendation, I'll check them out
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 4:33pm On Aug 28, 2022
ednut1:

If you dey GTA, go to ATL and Toop Lounges. Add EST 2020. You will be fine after 2-3 visits.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by monfizzy(m): 4:38pm On Aug 28, 2022
ednut1:

Ok thanks for the clarity
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 4:43pm On Aug 28, 2022
apolonius:

To get licensed as a lawyer, you need to apply to the NCA, get assigned some courses and write the exams. The exams are written a few times annually. You can write all in one sitting if you are a genius. If you pass and get your NCA certificate, you then apply to the Law Society of Ontario or the province where you want to practice. The Bar exams-Barrister and Solicitor’s-are written 3 times a year. Not sure if this has increased or decreased because of the pandemic-induced changes.

If you pass the bar exams, you can either apply for Articling or get an exemption as I did. Of course, you will called to the bar. What you do after that is up to you.

Those who love transactional practice areas and with good experience can join banks and corporations as In-house Counsels or join law firms-big, medium and small.

Networking will determine how fast you get good opportunities to practice after your call.

Hope this helps.

NCA means the National Committee on Accreditation. This is their page, the process and exam schedules: https://nca.legal/process/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by olalekan9320(m): 4:48pm On Aug 28, 2022
apolonius:

If you dey GTA, go to ATL and Toop Lounges. Add EST 2020. You will be fine after 2-3 visits.
na Calgary wey I dey

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (24) (Reply)

Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. / My Regretfull Journey To Europe ( How It All Started ) / Photos Of The 52 Cows Killed By Train In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.