Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,141 members, 7,814,994 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:09 AM

Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada - Travel (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada (102314 Views)

Why Immigrants Can Never Be Happy In Their New Country / Leaving Canada.......... Secrets / Reasons Why Immigrants Are Now Leaving Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by NuCypher: 4:49pm On Aug 28, 2022
apolonius:

I don’t indulge these people. But to support people like you, I will.

I know a guy working with Amazon from Oshawa. He makes $345k. They have overwhelmed him with an offer to move to Texas. He leaves next month.
don't be deceived. That is very likely Total comp than it is annual salary. The annual salary component there is possibly only 180k or even less. No let anybody deceive you. He doesn't make $345k in annual salary. That's very, very unlikely. And that stock component too is vested.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Backpedal: 4:50pm On Aug 28, 2022
planetx:
Lol big deal working in Amazon and a bank in Canada. Forget story 95% of Nigerians that migrated to Canada regret deep inside upending their established life in Nigeria to move to that dead country.
Canada is a dead country ?

Wonderful cheesy cheesy
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 4:51pm On Aug 28, 2022
NuCypher:

don't be deceived. That is very likely Total comp than it is annual salary. The annual salary component there is possibly only 180k or even less. No let anybody deceive you. He doesn't make $345k in annual salary. That's very, very unlikely. And that stock component too is vested.

Deceived? At my level? Do you know him, his position and the nuances of his pay? How do you guys even think?
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 4:52pm On Aug 28, 2022
olalekan9320:
na Calgary wey I dey

Reach out and I will make some introductions to some great people there.
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by NuCypher: 4:52pm On Aug 28, 2022
apolonius:

Deceived? At my level? Do you know him, his position and the nuances of his pay? How do you guys even think?
Oga, that is not annual salary. Do you even know how compensation works at tech companies?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Backpedal: 4:53pm On Aug 28, 2022
NairaMaster1:

You wasted years to get the canadian citizenship to move to another country? OK! Most of us have made it here. I can fly to any country of my choice anytime anyway any day.
Many of who has made it where ?

1 Like

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 4:58pm On Aug 28, 2022
NuCypher:

Oga, that is not annual salary. Do you even know how compensation works at tech companies?

You don’t know what you are talking about. So, if he is at the rank of a Software engineering director earning around $550k, his net pay can’t be around what I quoted?
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by BennyDGreat: 5:03pm On Aug 28, 2022
apolonius:

I agree. Life, success and opportunities are almost always relative. Another key influence on what you do and get is the immigration pathway that brought you to Canada. If you came through the Express Entry with your PR or Spousal Sponsorship for PR/Work Permit, your challenges will be fewer. If you came as a student, the challenges will be higher to transition to PR. If you came as a Refugee Claimant, the challenges will be higher and the opportunities will be fewer and lower initially. These things affect so much greatly.

Apt. You have said it all

1 Like

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by whizqueen(f): 5:04pm On Aug 28, 2022
MT:

Thank you for guiding people to make an informed decision. I understand you are not bashing the country you live, rather you are trying to show the pitfalls for people to consider before they make the life-changing decision to relocate. Relocation to any country is not bad, but it becomes a problem when people have unrealistic expectations.

Ignore individuals calling for your heads, you have a sizable numbers here cheering you on. God bless you a lot!

Ain’t you just amazing? Thank you jere cool
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by NuCypher: 5:10pm On Aug 28, 2022
apolonius:

You don’t know what you are talking about. So, if he is at the rank of a Software engineering director earning around $550k, his net pay can’t be around what I quoted?
net annual salary? Nope. Even engineering directors get more stocks than they do cash in annual pay. Go check glassdoor, the average base pay for amazon software engineering director is around $200k or less; the rest is vested stocks. No wise company pays you in cash $345k per annum. Doesn't happen. By the time they tax your head, na peanuts go remain. I know this because I work in tech. So, yes, he doesn't make $345k annually. if that's true, it is certainly the total comp, of which the base pay is probably around $150-180k.

And don't even get started with $550k. No way in the freaking world he's grossing $550k. I can stake my left nut on that one. Show me your data online that points to this and we can start talking. Make una dey calm down when una dey throw numbers everywhere to impress.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by halaqasa: 5:17pm On Aug 28, 2022
Omooooo yawa dun gas for this thread oooo grin grin grin

E be many things walahi
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Shokoloko(f): 5:25pm On Aug 28, 2022
whizqueen:

Exactly my point! There are no Luxury apartments in Toronto for that price. Luxury = High end

One might find something decent for that price which is likely a studio but not one bed room. Even basement these days goes for $1,200. Most landlords would rarely rent directly to you when they know they can get better offers. People are paying 4 months rent upfront just to secure nice places to live in GTA.

A major reason people prefer Toronto is not cos they want to “throwaway” money on rent but it gives easy access to a lot of things like transportation. You can live and work in Toronto for years without driving a car but people that live in Hamilton can’t say the same.

At the end of the day, it’s a trade-off. You pick and choose what matters most to you. If it’s city-life at the expense of paying more or staying in smaller cities where you need to drive hours to work or see your friends/loved ones

Not particularly responding to you. Just trying to let other readers know that luxury is not the same as high-end
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 5:37pm On Aug 28, 2022
NuCypher:

net annual salary? Nope. Even engineering directors get more stocks than they do cash in annual pay. Go check glassdoor, the average base pay for amazon software engineering director is around $200k or less; the rest is vested stocks. No wise company pays you in cash $345k per annum. Doesn't happen. By the time they tax your head, na peanuts go remain. I know this because I work in tech. So, yes, he doesn't make $345k annually. if that's true, it is certainly the total comp, of which the base pay is probably around $150-180k.

And don't even get started with $550k. No way in the freaking world he's grossing $550k. I can stake my left nut on that one. Show me your data online that points to this and we can start talking. Make una dey calm down when una dey throw numbers everywhere to impress.

You are arguing over nothing. There is nowhere in the world where quoted salaries are net; it’s always gross. Ultimately, there are various deductions, stock options et al. These constituent elements do not diminish the reality of the salaries. While you can focus on net, my points are overall comp/salaries. Nobody advertises roles and quote net salaries. If you don’t know that, your insider experience and perspective is just irrelevant.
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by NuCypher: 5:53pm On Aug 28, 2022
apolonius:

You are arguing over nothing. There is nowhere in the world where quoted salaries are net; it’s always gross. Ultimately, there are various deductions, stock options et al. These constituent elements do not diminish the reality of the salaries. While you can focus on net, my points are overall comp/salaries. Nobody advertises roles and quote net salaries. If you don’t know that, your insider experience and perspective is just irrelevant.

Okay, time for the twists and turns. but I get your time today.

You said and I quote:
apolonius:

I know a guy working with Amazon from Oshawa. He makes $345k. They have overwhelmed him with an offer to move to Texas. He leaves next month.

I said:

He doesn't make $345k

I know you need a detailed explanation because you don't know these things and are gullible enough to swallow what your "friend" told you. So, I'll explain to you.

He doesn't make $345k. He very likely makes $150-180k. Do you see the difference? And that's gross too, not net. It will be taxed.
The rest of that $345k is comprised of stock which is paid out over a definite period as long your "friend" stays on in the company. Which means it's vested, in case you don't know. If he leaves at any time, he loses his right to the stocks. Not to mention the stocks are subject to the ups and downs of the stock market. Some of it is also sign-on, which is also paid in chunks over a definite period. So, your friend doesn't make $345k (continuous tense, in case you miss the English). On the regular, he makes way less, given that's just total comp, some of which is spread over several years, conditional on his continued stay at the company.

I know you will still come back with your half-thought arguments. But this is the last I'm saying on this. Many of you Nigerians are just too easily impressed once somebody starts throwing numbers at you that you don't even know the details of.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by claremont(m): 6:03pm On Aug 28, 2022

2 Likes

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by femijay8271(m): 6:07pm On Aug 28, 2022
apolonius:

Please do!

Alright baba
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by nextBIGthing: 6:40pm On Aug 28, 2022
halaqasa:

Success in your visa bro

Just got here not quite long ago.

I am to introverted to even beep you the experience

But life is cool here

You get value for your money.

E go be

Thanks brother

Do you also pay tax doing FX ?
How do they know how much you earn ?

1 Like

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by NuCypher: 6:43pm On Aug 28, 2022
nextBIGthing:

Thanks brother

Do you also pay tax doing FX ?
How do they know how much you earn ?
Agencies where you trade FX here report to the government every single time. Jail time awaits those who avoid taxes

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Headachetoigboh(f): 6:45pm On Aug 28, 2022
Tunjibalogun:
But they will never tell you . Making it look like Canada is heaven lol.
That's Nigerians for you
I know a consultant Hematologist (medical doctor) who couldn't cope with the cost of living in Canada, infact he couldn't practice his profession and he became frustrated. He left but his wife refused leaving, so they divorced. The man remarried after he came back to Nigeria and he's really doing so great and happy.

Stop deceiving people. Canada is better than US. If you feel it not cool for you,get your PR or Citizen then move to another country that suits you with a Canadian passport not Naija.
We are smarter now

2 Likes

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by AlphaTaikun: 7:09pm On Aug 28, 2022
MT:

I do not care where u live. You are just NOT making any sense.

Show a proof where PR comes with 10 year visiting visa. Olodo, you be!.

Bankers abroad are not that rewarding except you are investment banker. If it true you live in Canada, that is disgraceful.

Proving senselessly that you can work in the US with a Canadian citizenship. Shame. I have been traveling to all those countries before you sneaked in through the back door. Stop disgracing your ancestors in a public space. Sit this discourse out!
Calm down folks... Just say your piece and agree to disagree without any emasculations.

Ednut1 is Canadian-based though.

All the best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Tunjibalogun: 7:14pm On Aug 28, 2022
Headachetoigboh:

Stop deceiving people. Canada is better than US. If you feel it not cool for you,get your PR or Citizen then move to another country that suits you with a Canadian passport not Naija.
We are smarter now
What's the colour of your problem? What concerns me with your personal life plans and how exactly am I deceiving people?
Have you been to the USA? Do you know the amount of opportunities out there compared to Canada?

3 Likes

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by monfizzy(m): 7:28pm On Aug 28, 2022
bezimo:
I came into Canada 7 years ago..today I am a citizen and have a good job, I ain't lonely, far from it.

All I can say to this OP is shut up abeg.All this Nigerians that will immigrate to Canada and think the system owes them something? No, the systems owes you nothing, you work your way up the ladder just like others.

Canada is not good..yet UK folks are hustling to get here..Lmao!

Rantings of a typical lonely boring 9ja girl using YouTube to talk chaff about immigration matters and Canada prospect.

I think most Nigerians living in the U.K. wanting to move to Canada are those who don’t have papers here. As a naturalised U.K. citizen who have visited Canada twice to see my junior bro who lives in Toronto and some friends I don’t see any reason of wanting to move there. Take away the Canadian PR scheme many Nigerians won’t have Canada in their choice migration destination and I stand to be corrected.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by AlphaTaikun: 7:30pm On Aug 28, 2022
ednut1:
Although the op na my friend i will tackle her.

1. There are people building wealth in cheaper provinces like Alberta or New Brunswick where houses go for 300k to 400k. In Ontario its like 900k to 1.5m for the average house and you suppose drop 5% deposit for mortgage. Married people or common law guys are able to build wealth too due to combined income. Solution is move to a cheaper province, get married or find a partner.
2 . Cost of living- where in the world is not costly. With all the amenities, free resources, and standard of living why should it be cheap There are many people earning 3700 dols a month but staying in apartments costing 2200 dols. Is that not madness. Some are one 2500 a month but their rent is 1800 lol
3 . Boredom and loneliness- Nigerians move to a cold country and refuse to do what whites do in the winter. Whose fault is that Many ladies from Nigeria have unrealistic expectations and are single to stupor. Whose fault is that Lol
4 cold. Get a good winter jacket or knacks partner. Nothing dey there
5. Professional jobs- doctors know this before coming and should have explored uk. A friend passed the medical exams in 18months its doable. Yes there are issues with Canada experience but with constant applications and upgrading ones skills. You will be able to get in. You and i both know many people with only Nigerians experience or degrees balling in big companies

Oya come back home o.

I know people especially tech who moved to usa after getting their Canada citizenship. More money is involved and passport privileges too don set. The Canadian passport opens doors to better countries
Lol... That's a great perspective.
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by AleAirHub(m): 7:36pm On Aug 28, 2022
Hi whizqueen longtime my lady crush kiss kissI'm very happy and excited that this write-up is from you because I know very well that you never add salt or sugar to your observations. Thank you for sharing. Much love
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by MT: 7:42pm On Aug 28, 2022
NuCypher:

You said and I quote:

I said:

I know you need a detailed explanation because you don't know these things and are gullible enough to swallow what your "friend" told you. So, I'll explain to you.

He doesn't make $345k. He very likely makes $150-180k. Do you see the difference? And that's gross too, not net. It will be taxed.
The rest of that $345k is comprised of stock which is paid out over a definite period as long your "friend" stays on in the company. Which means it's vested, in case you don't know. If he leaves at any time, he loses his right to the stocks. Not to mention the stocks are subject to the ups and downs of the stock market. Some of it is also sign-on, which is also paid in chunks over a definite period. So, your friend doesn't make $345k (continuous tense, in case you miss the English). On the regular, he makes way less, given that's just total comp, some of which is spread over several years, conditional on his continued stay at the company.

I know you will still come back with your half-thought arguments. But this is the last I'm saying on this. Many of you Nigerians are just too easily impressed once somebody starts throwing numbers at you that you don't even know the details of.

@NuCypher Can I just hug you? You are well exposed. Bubbles buster grin

3 Likes

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Sukkyy2010: 7:56pm On Aug 28, 2022
emmaodet:

My brother we are the same.
I hate job. I really hate it with passion reason why I don’t want to migrate.
If I work work work in nigeria and continue working abroad, pls when will I even get rest sef?
I wonder ooo, people like me don't just hate job without no course we hate job because we value and cherish our liberty.

1 Like

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by whizqueen(f): 8:09pm On Aug 28, 2022
apolonius:

If you dey GTA, go to ATL and Toop Lounges. Add EST 2020. You will be fine after 2-3 visits.

Be like you no hear about the shooting at ATL few weeks ago. Two naija guys killed. I’m even surprised the place is open again so quickly

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by whizqueen(f): 8:09pm On Aug 28, 2022
AleAirHub:

Hi whizqueen longtime my lady crush kiss kissI'm very happy and excited that this write-up is from you because I know very well that you never add salt or sugar to your observations. Thank you for sharing. Much love 

Bless my guy kiss

2 Likes

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by AlphaTaikun: 8:12pm On Aug 28, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:
They are perpetual migrants looking for what is not lost. There is no gold rush anywhere. From Qatar to EU to Cyprus to Italy to SA to Ghana to Ukraine to US to UK and now to Canada, the japa crew are now officially 'one chance' victims. Some could actually have been better in Nigeria but they never learn. Their ears are blocked.

Some crossed over and their first task was cursing Nigeria and talking down on Nigeria. Those ones are the ones Nigeria, the land where their placenta was buried, cursed back physically and spiritually. Sadly, those ones are irredeemable.

They exaggerated the challenges they faced here and some actually quitted certainty for uncertainty before reality hit them hard , unlike the prodigal son, it became too late for them to turn back and return home because of shame, regret and what those they left behind who had overtaken them in life will say.

Andrew a.ka. Mr Japa, you better repent, start blessing Nigeria so it can reverse its curses on you and come back home to start afresh before you end up in life like a snake that never leaves mark on a rock.
check my signature for free stuffs!
A-ha!

You are a philosoper... and you remember the Andrew checking out public enlightenment TV jingo of the 1980s. Lol.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 8:26pm On Aug 28, 2022
whizqueen:

Be like you no hear about the shooting at ATL few weeks ago. Two naija guys killed. I’m even surprised the place is open again so quickly

I am aware of the shooting. I was to join a friend there that night. But they are open. They should have moved elsewhere to honour those two kids. I won’t go there again to honour their memories. But it’s a great place to meet people. I visited 1-2 times every 4-6 weeks. Were you a patron?�

2 Likes

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 8:41pm On Aug 28, 2022
NuCypher:

You said and I quote:

I said:

Your logic is hard to tolerate. You just can’t be a custodian of the facts and truth about other people’s experiences and lives. For the sake of neutral followers, let’s use an example.

BLG is a leading law firm in Canada. A Google search about the average BLG’s lawyers’ salaries will show between $130-165k on Glassdoor, Indeed, Payscale among others. Well, that is not the entire truth about lawyers’ salaries in BLG.

Senior Associate lawyers make $170k-220k depending on their seniority and years at the firm. Salaried partners make $300-450k, depending on their years of experiences and time at the firm. Wait for it…Equity partners make over $1-2m annually, depending on their seniority, equity and BD inputs. These are covered and guaranteed by diverse partnership agreements.

Yet, Google will show you far less as the average lawyers’ salaries in BLG.

The logic? You can’t sit in your hovels and decide that you KNOW what ALL or ANY Amazon employee earns because you are in tech or work with Amazon. You are not a constant presence and party to all salary negotiations and information.

…Just shut up!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by monfizzy(m): 8:42pm On Aug 28, 2022
apolonius:

Please this is an adult forum and not a gathering of some naive high school talks. Stop the exaggeration it’s becoming silly mate

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (24) (Reply)

Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. / My Regretfull Journey To Europe ( How It All Started ) / Photos Of The 52 Cows Killed By Train In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.