Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,142 members, 7,815,000 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:19 AM

Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada - Travel (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada (102316 Views)

Why Immigrants Can Never Be Happy In Their New Country / Leaving Canada.......... Secrets / Reasons Why Immigrants Are Now Leaving Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by claremont(m): 8:49pm On Aug 28, 2022
monfizzy:

I think most Nigerians living in the U.K. wanting to move to Canada are those who don’t have papers here. As a naturalised U.K. citizen who have visited Canada twice to see my junior bro who lives in Toronto and some friends I don’t see any reason of wanting to move there. Take away the Canadian PR scheme many Nigerians won’t have Canada in their choice migration destination and I stand to be corrected.

I spent 6 weeks working in Fort Bragg, NC, USA in 2015, and I came to the same conclusion as you did with Canada. To be honest, anyone who is settled in the UK and working in a professional job doesn't have any reason to relocate to any other developed country. The experience would broadly be the same in most developed countries. I have seen immigrants working at the very top of their careers, but I have also seen immigrants with MSc/PhDs driving taxis to make a living.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by SavageResponse(m): 9:01pm On Aug 28, 2022
Talawaka:

Migrants with no Canadian experience are locked out of the job market.
It is a racket that helps ensure the country's economy continues growing.

Co-Signed.

Yes, I have a friend who left his job as a CFO to go to Canada with his family, he is almost regretting that decision

4 Likes

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by monfizzy(m): 9:06pm On Aug 28, 2022
claremont:

I spent 6 weeks working in Fort Bragg, NC, USA in 2015, and I came to the same conclusion as you did with Canada. To be honest, anyone who is settled in the UK and working in a professional job doesn't have any reason to relocate to any other developed country. The experience would broadly be the same in most developed countries. I have seen immigrants working at the very top of their careers, but I have also seen immigrants with MSc/PhDs driving taxis to make a living.

Exactly. U.K. that in 6hours you’re in Nigeria, better friendly weather with more Nigerian community and food that anyone settled here will give up for a freezing country. No way. Na those wey no get kpali here dey wan move to Canada.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by steadyMoving22: 9:31pm On Aug 28, 2022
Canada built a system of equality, creating a balance which we don't av in Africa.

1 Like

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by ednut1(m): 9:34pm On Aug 28, 2022
monfizzy:

Exactly. U.K. that in 6hours you’re in Nigeria, better friendly weather with more Nigerian community and food that anyone settled here will give up for a freezing country. No way. Na those wey no get kpali here dey wan move to Canada.
as uk no wan give people kpali. They should not go where kpali dey I have friends in audit firm who went to uk on work visa. They have to do that stressfull job for 5 years in kpmg and the likes and cant change jobs from audit. But Canada dey give citizenship after 3 years plus freedom to enter non audit industries lol. Ogun punish priti patel, gordon brown, theresa may and others wey don show boys pepper now and in the past lol

7 Likes

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by ak22(m): 9:35pm On Aug 28, 2022
jubrilELsudan:
ME I LEFT CANADA CAUSE TO SEE FVCK NA WAR

THANK GOD I MOVED TO SOUTH AFRICA

CAUSE HERE I NO DEY KNOW WETIN TO TAKE FVCK DO AGAIN

IN A DAY I CAN FVCK 10 DIFFERENT GIRLS AND WOMEN

AND HERE IN SOUTH AFRICA...THE LEGAL AGE OF CONSENT IS 16YEARS SO AM WITHIN THE LEGAL BOUNDARIES OF THE LAW TO FVCK A 16 YEAR OLD

20+ YEARS THAT I HAVE BEEN LIVING HERE....I HAVE FVCKED OVER 5 THOUSAND GIRLS AND WOMEN

For your mind now, this is achievement?

4 Likes

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by apolonius(m): 9:46pm On Aug 28, 2022
monfizzy:

Please this is an adult forum and not a gathering of some naive high school talks. Stop the exaggeration it’s becoming silly mate

Senior adult, congratulations! Exaggerations, indeed!

1 Like

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by jimetagambo: 10:04pm On Aug 28, 2022
ednut1:
as uk no wan give people kpali. They should not go where kpali dey I have friends in audit firm who went to uk on work visa. They have to do that stressfull job for 5 years in kpmg and the likes and cant change jobs from audit. But Canada dey give citizenship after 3 years plus freedom to enter non audit industries lol. Ogun punish priti patel, gordon brownDavid Cameron, theresa may and others wey don show boys pepper now and in the past lol
Fixed.
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Eriokanmi: 10:07pm On Aug 28, 2022
ednut1:
as uk no wan give people kpali. They should not go where kpali dey I have friends in audit firm who went to uk on work visa. They have to do that stressfull job for 5 years in kpmg and the likes and cant change jobs from audit. But Canada dey give citizenship after 3 years plus freedom to enter non audit industries lol. Ogun punish priti patel, gordon brown, theresa may and others wey don show boys pepper now and in the past lol
I told a friend who wants to send his wife to the UK to give birth, that the baby may not get citizenship

1 Like

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by AirBay: 10:12pm On Aug 28, 2022
Eriokanmi:
I told a friend who wants to send his wife to the UK to give birth, that the baby may not get citizenship

It is not a matter of MAY NOT rather it is WILL NOT undecided

6 Likes

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by ednut1(m): 10:38pm On Aug 28, 2022
Eriokanmi:
will not. Not may not. They cancelled it in 1983

3 Likes

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Gerrard59(m): 10:40pm On Aug 28, 2022
apolonius:

A friend moved to the GTA, Canada to join his family in October last year. He has been working with 3 banks because of the remote work and making $26k monthly. He is a Project Manager.

I know friends that came in 2018/2019 who are Vice Presidents of banks like CITI among others.

I am talking about people in my circle. These things can be verified in the WhatsApp groups of former bankers from Nigeria. You can also go on LinkedIn. I can give names!�

People talk about the US and the UK. Most of the Nigerians I studied with, often from rich families, are in the UK doing security jobs, working in Morrison’s, ASDA and MacDonald’s. I am proud of them but it’s what they can get.

Unlike the UK where Canary Wharf and big city jobs are for the Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial College, LSE lots, many Nigerians working in big Canadian banks and holding prime positions studied in Ife, Awka, Osogbo, Anyigba, Zaria and Abeokuta. Nothing more! �

Yes, some Nigerians are teachers and nurses in the UK and the US. How much do Nigerian nurses and teachers make in the UK? 26-34k annually. Nigerian professors in UK universities make 50-75k annually. I have a sister teaching in a high school in Alabama with a PhD in education leadership. Her income is less than $50k annually.

Professors in Canada, starting with the lowest rank of Assistant Professor earns between $137-150k. Full professors earn between $160-350k. If you want to check do the next thing:

Google the Ontario Sunshine List where the government mandates that people making salaries of $100k above be displayed. For instance, check for Professor Obi Okafor of Osgoode Law School. I will delete this in few minutes!�

Pretty impressive!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by steadyMoving22: 10:57pm On Aug 28, 2022
ednut1:
visit cibc, cra, kpmg, citibank , td bank, bmo, amazon, meta, pwc, mastercard, etc on LinkedIn. And check employees. Nigerians full there

Bros I go like connect with u on LinkedIn

1 Like

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by steadyMoving22: 11:01pm On Aug 28, 2022
Gerrard59:

LOL!

You people are very unrealistic in your suggestions. How many black people do you know who are successful in those countries? Do you know how it's to become a Singaporean citizen? Or naturalised Swiss citizen?

As in ehhh I tire o
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by jubrilELsudan: 1:06am On Aug 29, 2022
ak22:

For your mind now, this is achievement?

ODE

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by emmaodet: 1:29am On Aug 29, 2022
detectivejones:
In your dream when you sleep.

grin
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Ladygirl(f): 2:07am On Aug 29, 2022
Nice one! [quote author=whizqueen post=116118891][/quote]
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Ladygirl(f): 2:10am On Aug 29, 2022
Have you asked them what their taxes are like? Have they been able to build wealth or does the income fo into bills? Just curious!
Gerrard59:

Pretty impressive!

2 Likes

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Nobody: 3:03am On Aug 29, 2022
NuCypher:

Okay, time for the twists and turns. but I get your time today.

You said and I quote:

I said:

I know you need a detailed explanation because you don't know these things and are gullible enough to swallow what your "friend" told you. So, I'll explain to you.

He doesn't make $345k. He very likely makes $150-180k. Do you see the difference? And that's gross too, not net. It will be taxed.
The rest of that $345k is comprised of stock which is paid out over a definite period as long your "friend" stays on in the company. Which means it's vested, in case you don't know. If he leaves at any time, he loses his right to the stocks. Not to mention the stocks are subject to the ups and downs of the stock market. Some of it is also sign-on, which is also paid in chunks over a definite period. So, your friend doesn't make $345k (continuous tense, in case you miss the English). On the regular, he makes way less, given that's just total comp, some of which is spread over several years, conditional on his continued stay at the company.

I know you will still come back with your half-thought arguments. But this is the last I'm saying on this. Many of you Nigerians are just too easily impressed once somebody starts throwing numbers at you that you don't even know the details of.

Don’t mind him, anyone who is tech person knows no company is paying them software engineering positions for 550k or 350k.

Usually people are impressed with numbers, Nigerians love fairy tale stories and that’s why their friends feeds them with it.

He was even saying "At my level bla bla bla". Nigerians and confidently saying nonsense are like 5 and 6.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by halaqasa: 5:20am On Aug 29, 2022
NuCypher:

Agencies where you trade FX here report to the government every single time. Jail time awaits those who avoid taxes

Thanks for this response bro

I am not good at explaining well

For example I deliberately receive my payments from prop firms via letsdeel. Letsdeel deduct taxes already before I send into my bank account, it's left for me to file it .

I try as much to receive my funds through verified remittances (eg PayPal), because they will deduct tax automatically.

If I am to receive through crypto, I use regulated exchanges and withdraw into my bank card( taxes and fees are also deducted )

So that's just it @ nextBIGthing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by whizqueen(f): 5:26am On Aug 29, 2022
apolonius:

I am aware of the shooting. I was to join a friend there that night. But they are open. They should have moved elsewhere to honour those two kids. I won’t go there again to honour their memories. But it’s a great place to meet people. I visited 1-2 times every 4-6 weeks. Were you a patron?�

I was there a week before the incident happened and I don’t think I can go back there anytime soon. It’s just too traumatizing for me cos I’ve been there quite a lot and it could have been anyone really.

Thankfully I’m done for this summer, so I’m not missing out much.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Ralphlauren(m): 6:45am On Aug 29, 2022
ednut1:

Auditing in any big 4 in any part of the world is quite stressful. It's not limited to UK alone. That said, amongst the big 4 and when compared with other consultancies like mckinsey, KPMG is a stressful place to work - again, they've gained this reputation globally.

That said, UK tier 2 skilled visa does NOT stop anyone from changing roles (audit to non audit) or from changing employers.

99% of Nigerians leaving UK for Canada have not acquired their citizenship, have no clear pathway to citizenship or they are impatient to wait the average 6 years it takes to become a naturalised UK citizen.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by ednut1(m): 8:40am On Aug 29, 2022
Ralphlauren:

Auditing in any big 4 in any part of the world is quite stressful. It's not limited to UK alone. That said, amongst the big 4 and when compared with other consultancies like mckinsey, KPMG is a stressful place to work - again, they've gained this reputation globally. lol
That said, UK tier 2 skilled visa does NOT stop anyone from changing roles (audit to non audit) or from changing employers.

99% of Nigerians leaving UK for Canada have not acquired their citizenship, have no clear pathway to citizenship or they are impatient to wait the average 6 years it takes to become a naturalised UK citizen.
they are able to change employers in the same field not to non audit roles . So indirectly they are trapped. Meanwhile in Canada most of us do the audit for just a year and move on to chilling jobs

1 Like

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Gerrard59(m): 8:44am On Aug 29, 2022
Ladygirl:
Have you asked them what their taxes are like? Have they been able to build wealth or does the income fo into bills? Just curious!

When they were in Nigeria, they paid taxes but queued to buy petrol, spent money on generator maintenance, had to deal with a criminal police force, insecurity, horrible roads, unending ASUU strikes etc.

What's wrong with paying taxes? Why are you people against paying taxes?

10 Likes

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by anonimi: 8:48am On Aug 29, 2022
Gerrard59:
When they were in Nigeria, they paid taxes but queued to buy petrol, spent money on generator maintenance, had to deal with a criminal police force, insecurity, horrible roads, unending ASUU strikes etc.

What's wrong with paying taxes? Why are you people against paying taxes?

Don't mind us o.
We don't want to contribute anything yet want everything.
Those who want something for nothing invariably end up being scammed.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by kulzinnyjo(f): 9:25am On Aug 29, 2022
You are 100percent true. No freebies there. Hahaha Nigerians always looking for the easy way out. Lol Thank you

MT:

You do not have understanding of what you are writing about. Canadian citizenship gives you no leverage in the US, I repeat. You need to find the job and the sponsor, and be subjected to the same immigration rule like someone from Africa. People from Africa too need to find the job, get a sponsor and follow through the immigration rule.

Show me one advantage with proof a Canadian with citizenship has over someone from Africa as far as the US immigration is concerned. People get transferred from Chevron in Nigeria to the US as well. This cuts across. You only feel because US and Canadians are neighbours, the rule should be specially applied to the Canadian. Hell No!

Your Canadian citizenship only allows you to visit the US visa-free for maximum time of 6 months. If you spend a day more, it is a 10-year ban.
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by nextBIGthing: 9:25am On Aug 29, 2022
halaqasa:

For example I deliberately receive my payments from prop firms via letsdeel. Letsdeel deduct taxes already before I send into my bank account, it's left for me to file it .

I try as much to receive my funds through verified remittances (eg PayPal), because they will deduct tax automatically.

If I am to receive through crypto, I use regulated exchanges and withdraw into my bank card( taxes and fees are also deducted )

Oh I see
now I understand
Thanks for your response...I really appreciate.

Hope to get my visa soon. I'll like to link with you sire

1 Like

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by MT: 9:40am On Aug 29, 2022
truthsayer009:

Don’t mind him, anyone who is tech person knows no company is paying them software engineering positions for 550k or 350k.

Usually people are impressed with numbers, Nigerians love fairy tale stories and that’s why their friends feeds them with it.

He was even saying "At my level bla bla bla". Nigerians and confidently saying nonsense are like 5 and 6.

grin grin grin Thank you, sir. Glad individuals with genuine information are coming to this thread to bust bubbles. I don't understand why people come on public domain to throw figures around. Any story you hear with the insertion - "my friends this and that" - mostly end up being a falsehood.
Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by AlphaTaikun: 9:46am On Aug 29, 2022
NuCypher:

Okay, time for the twists and turns. but I get your time today.

You said and I quote:

I said:

I know you need a detailed explanation because you don't know these things and are gullible enough to swallow what your "friend" told you. So, I'll explain to you.

He doesn't make $345k. He very likely makes $150-180k. Do you see the difference? And that's gross too, not net. It will be taxed.
The rest of that $345k is comprised of stock which is paid out over a definite period as long your "friend" stays on in the company. Which means it's vested, in case you don't know. If he leaves at any time, he loses his right to the stocks. Not to mention the stocks are subject to the ups and downs of the stock market. Some of it is also sign-on, which is also paid in chunks over a definite period. So, your friend doesn't make $345k (continuous tense, in case you miss the English). On the regular, he makes way less, given that's just total comp, some of which is spread over several years, conditional on his continued stay at the company.

I know you will still come back with your half-thought arguments. But this is the last I'm saying on this. Many of you Nigerians are just too easily impressed once somebody starts throwing numbers at you that you don't even know the details of.
Insightful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by MT: 9:56am On Aug 29, 2022
Ralphlauren:

Auditing in any big 4 in any part of the world is quite stressful. It's not limited to UK alone. That said, amongst the big 4 and when compared with other consultancies like mckinsey, KPMG is a stressful place to work - again, they've gained this reputation globally.

@RalphLauren,Thank you my brother. Tell them!. Another bubble buster. We wont rest till we rid this thread of total misinformation and disinformation. "My friend this, my friend that" needs to stop. We wont allow people to be misled. We wont allow people to leverage on this thread to boost their own deflated egos. Type out the fact and rest.

Sadly enough, these are the individuals some people here rely on to make their own decisions regarding relocation. Just pathetic!
Happy Monday folks grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by AlphaTaikun: 9:56am On Aug 29, 2022
halaqasa:

Nicely put.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. / My Regretfull Journey To Europe ( How It All Started ) / Photos Of The 52 Cows Killed By Train In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.