Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,031 members, 7,814,514 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? (5738 Views)

Poll: Which Would You Consider Most Appropriate?

Using the Whip: 77% (28 votes)
Sparing the Rod: 22% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Humiliation, A Poor Way Of Rebuking Children/wards/juniors / You're Not A Nigerian If You Didn't Do These Things As A Child / Best Technique For Dealing With A Nagging Wife/Partner? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 10:56am On Aug 12, 2011
I Grew Up In a home where Whips are prohibited from going against a Child, my Parents considered scolding as an Imperative strategy in Rebuking an erring Child. So it would Sound interesting to you all that right from my days as an Infant to a Toddler a Teen till date I've not felt the pains of a Whip, even at High School Or College u dare not Whip me cos my Mum wont take it likely with any Teacher or senior student that dare such!  grin

Sparing the Rod In my Case didn't spoil me, i still went ahead to learn good values and Norms of Life, So In other words which technique would you consider best appropriate in bringing Up a ward?!

Spare the Rod Or Use the Rod?!  cool
undecided
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by webmastern(m): 12:10pm On Aug 12, 2011
the bible says it all. Spare the rod and spoil the child.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by omaojo1: 12:26pm On Aug 12, 2011
There is no 'one size-fit-all' approach to it.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by NatGas(m): 12:54pm On Aug 12, 2011
@Poster,
you are not a complete Nigerian then,so you mean to tell me that you have not felt the pain of from a whip? Anyway the rod the bible was talking about don't necessarily mean a whip but to my own understanding it means Discipline.I guess strict rules was what kept u out of the streets.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by kizito96(m): 12:58pm On Aug 12, 2011
Cane is very important
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by luckymome(f): 1:03pm On Aug 12, 2011
Me thinks it depends on a child's temperament. There are some who are moulded well by whip and some by moral/verbal discipline. Try check out the one that suits such a child and use it wisely.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by iwantto(m): 1:04pm On Aug 12, 2011
This popular phrase - "Spare the rod and spoil the child" is not in the bible. Can somebody show me where it is?
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by vitality22(m): 1:08pm On Aug 12, 2011
Chei, bros you just made me remember teacher Abraham, mehn this man can flog the whole students in the school 50 strokes of the cane each and he wont get tired at all. The man can flop abeg, i dough my hat for him.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by bluroses: 1:25pm On Aug 12, 2011
@ I want to
Its in proverbs.am not sure where exactly.will read up and let u knw
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by 2tek: 1:48pm On Aug 12, 2011
i_want_to:

This popular phrase - "Spare the rod and spoil the child" is not in the bible. Can somebody show me where it is?

d bible did not expressly use "Spare the rod and spoil the child" but in
King James Version of the Bible, Book of Proverbs, 13:24, d bible says

He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by obailala(m): 1:48pm On Aug 12, 2011
[size=14pt]Proverbs 23:13-14[/size]
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by BigMeat2: 2:01pm On Aug 12, 2011
By using the rod when necessary, but most importantly with all love and care.

Proverbs 23: 13-14

13. Withhold not correction from a child: for if thou strike him with the rod, he shall not die.
14. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and deliver his soul from hell. – Douay-Rheims American Edition.

13. Do not withhold correction from a child,
For if you beat him with a rod, he will not die.
14. You shall beat him with a rod,
And deliver his soul from hell. - NKJV.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by madoba: 2:08pm On Aug 12, 2011
I would employ every reasonable means avaible in rebuking a child.

Depending on the gravity of the offence, the rod will be used in some cases and scolding in others.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Aug 12, 2011
NatGas:

@Poster,
you are not a complete Nigerian then,so you mean to tell me that you have not felt the pain of from a whip? Anyway the rod the bible was talking about don't necessarily mean a whip but to my own understanding it means Discipline.I guess strict rules was what kept u out of the streets.

Yeah Strict Rules and fears of sleeping behind bars! cheesy
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Koolking(m): 2:55pm On Aug 12, 2011
Big Meat:

By using the rod when necessary, but most importantly with all love and care.

Proverbs 23: 13-14

13. Withhold not correction from a child: for if thou strike him with the rod, he shall not die.
14. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and deliver his soul from hell. – Douay-Rheims American Edition.

13. Do not withhold correction from a child,
For if you beat him with a rod, he will not die.
14. You shall beat him with a rod,
And deliver his soul from hell. - NKJV.

Please, I stand corrected If I am wrong. I wonder if there is any other meaning to 'rod' as written in the Proverbs (King James Version) - Captioned above by Big Meat.

Some people keep saying 'rod' does not necessarily mean cane. To me, Cane is a necessity of child's discipline. Scolding does not really bring out the desired result in some cases. It takes a good child to adapt to scolding.

The Bible was written by God-discerning minds. They knew the importance of cane in discipline. If the fear of cane is the beginning of wisdom to that child why not apply it?
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Oking1(m): 2:58pm On Aug 12, 2011
Strict rules may not necessary work cos when it gets too strict, it becomes a problem in it self. i just believe that whatever discipline method you employ should be commiserate with whatever offense the child has committed and their should be a purpose for any discipline and the child should be made to understand the reason for the discipline or punishment. This way the child is made to understand what is acceptable and what is not. Disciplining a child any how for whatever offense does not tell him or her the extent of the offense. On the other hand also, a child should be commended for good behavior so as to balance the child psychologically
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by atasteve: 2:59pm On Aug 12, 2011
I support using the rod but there must be a limit to it. The best way to rebuke a child is to be A GOOD EXAMPLE.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Koolking(m): 3:02pm On Aug 12, 2011
El Guapo:

Yeah Strict Rules and fears of sleeping behind bars! cheesy

See my point? if parents can go as far putting their child behind bars as a sort of 'child discpline', how much more applying a little cane. Rod is apt.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by nigerhead(m): 3:27pm On Aug 12, 2011
omaojo1:

There is no 'one size-fit-all' approach to it.

supported. sometimes a lil cane, sometimes just talking to the child would do the magic. The same bible that says spare the rod , also advises us to be moderate.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Outstrip(f): 3:30pm On Aug 12, 2011
ELGuapo your parents did well. I can't say spanking is wrong though cause I have spanked my boys. To each their own.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by guysmat(m): 3:35pm On Aug 12, 2011
Accumulated years of sparing the rod is what is putting UK in the mess they're in right now.

How can children that are barely teenagers go about senselessly rampaging and destroying things in the the name of venting their frustration? Challenging police authorities right to their faces that there is nothing they (the police) can do.

Can you imagine such happening Africa, Eastern Europe, South America or any where in Asia? In fact even before the thought of going to commit a crime crosses your mind, when you remember the kind of whopping you'll get from your parents or wards if caught, you'll cast and bind the idea for even crossing your mind.

Imagine in the UK where your children can hold you to ransom by throwing tantrums or even calling police for you, insisting that you must do whatever he/she (the child) wants, hmmm

Make them go try that one for 9ja see if parents and elders no go redesign the pikin face with slaps.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Outstrip(f): 4:03pm On Aug 12, 2011
guysmat:

Accumulated years of sparing the rod is what is putting UK in the mess they're in right now.

How can children that are barely teenagers go about senselessly rampaging and destroying things in the the name of venting their frustration? Challenging police authorities right to their faces that there is nothing they (the police) can do.

Can you imagine such happening Africa, Eastern Europe, South America or any where in Asia? In fact even before the thought of going to commit a crime crosses your mind, when you remember the kind of whopping you'll get from your parents or wards if caught, you'll cast and bind the idea for even crossing your mind.

Imagine in the UK where your children can hold you to ransom by throwing tantrums or even calling police for you, insisting that you must do whatever he/she (the child) wants, hmmm

Make them go try that one for 9ja see if parents and elders no go redesign the pikin face with slaps.

Are you serious? Nothing like that has happened in Nigeria? Can you please try to be honest. If using the rod is the answer to everything then 99% of Nigerians will be without sin and Nigeria will not be the failure it is today
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Ivbade: 4:19pm On Aug 12, 2011
Proverbs 13 vs 24: He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him chastens him betimes.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Sike(m): 5:00pm On Aug 12, 2011
Koboko! Best Option.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Titto(f): 5:09pm On Aug 12, 2011
Proverbs 22:15.
Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of discipline will remove it far from him.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by guysmat(m): 5:29pm On Aug 12, 2011
Are you serious? Nothing like that has happened in Nigeria? Can you please try to be honest. If using the rod is the answer to everything then 99% of Nigerians will be without sin and Nigeria will not be the failure it is today

Nigeria is not a failure o.
Nigeria's problem is the leadership will power to direct the nation to greener pastures.
How many Nigerian's are dependent on govt for their daily bread? Besides, lets not forget the fact that her citizens are born smart by default. grin grin grin Too many smart people caged in one place, go figure.

Remove a Nigerian from his country and place him at par with anyone else in a developed country and (8 out of 10), the Nigerian becomes a superstar.

We have what it takes; it's getting our acts right that's the problem. Slowly but surely, we're getting there. Mind you, a lot of countries out there don't want you to reach that level of development. They know they'll be in trouble if we do grin grin (gist for another thread, )
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by God2man(m): 5:39pm On Aug 12, 2011
Proverb 22:15. The bible says " the rod of correction, it is not the rod of punishment, revenge or abuse. Capital NO. How do you apply the rod of correction? I believe the rod should be used and at the same time, explain and talk to the child then pray to God for mercy on the child, because some child may be possessed with evil spirit. The best to teach is to live by example. After the rod of correction, the father is a smoker and a drink alcohol, the mother is troublesome and she complain on virtually everything in the house, how do you expect the child to behave? So, a good example is still the best way to train a child after "the rod of correction". God bless you. God2man. ild may be possessed with evil spirit. The best to teach is to live by example. After the rod of correction, the father is a smoker and a drink alcohol, the mother is troublesome and she complain on virtually everything in the house, how do you expect the child to behave? So, a good example is still the best way to train a child after "the rod of correction". God bless you. God2man.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by tlops(m): 6:41pm On Aug 12, 2011
depending on where you are raising the child. there are countries that forbids spanking a child! in that case rod is not an option.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by dayokanu(m): 6:47pm On Aug 12, 2011
OP,

You should thank me cos me I chopped overdose, I chop my own portion and yours too for cane
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by zionic(m): 7:32pm On Aug 12, 2011
, broke any jaws dats dont hear word so what saying is dat any pikin wey no hear word must ear CANE!!!
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by femmy2010(m): 7:40pm On Aug 12, 2011
The rod sure does it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb / My Monthly Income And Expenditure Please I Need Advice / Good Family Planning For My Family: Please Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.