Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,446 members, 7,823,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? (5748 Views)

Poll: Which Would You Consider Most Appropriate?

Using the Whip: 77% (28 votes)
Sparing the Rod: 22% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Humiliation, A Poor Way Of Rebuking Children/wards/juniors / You're Not A Nigerian If You Didn't Do These Things As A Child / Best Technique For Dealing With A Nagging Wife/Partner? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Aug 17, 2011
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by dayokanu(m): 6:11pm On Aug 17, 2011
Lovemee:

I flog shege comot my 6 yr daughter body d oda day. The first time I have really given her a thorough flogging. Who born her to lie to me?
My little neice perceived from her armpit d smell of a roll-on and quickly reported. I gently asked her. Did you use my roll on? "No mummy, I didnt. Say the truth or I will flog you. This girl refused. see me see trouble. Oya raise your hands, let me see. Hmm, see the smell. Even at that she refused telling the truth that she had gone to my room and applied it. I was so irritated by her [size=18pt]continours[/size] denial. I couldnt hold myself.
The flogging was so much sha. na my neighbours come save am. I can not tolerate lies from children. shocked

Who would now flog you for the part in bold?
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by armyofone(m): 6:21pm On Aug 17, 2011
Lovemee, now you said it yourself the beating was so much sha'' please do not beat your girl to stupor. yes punish her but careful. watch Anderson Cooper clip i posted and see what beating kid with anger could come to.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Sagamite(m): 6:41pm On Aug 17, 2011
Lovemee:

I flog shege comot my 6 yr daughter body d oda day. The first time I have really given her a thorough flogging. Who born her to lie to me?
My little neice perceived from her armpit d smell of a roll-on and quickly reported. I gently asked her. Did you use my roll on? "No mummy, I didnt. Say the truth or I will flog you. This girl refused. see me see trouble. Oya raise your hands, let me see. Hmm, see the smell. Even at that she refused telling the truth that she had gone to my room and applied it. I was so irritated by her continours denial. I couldnt hold myself.
The flogging was so much sha. na my neighbours come save am. I can not tolerate lies from children. shocked

You smacked her because she lied she used roll on?

That needed smacking?

Seriously?
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Aug 17, 2011
my four year old is a case because half the time, he's executing some hbby while wreaking havoc

perhaps because of bob the builder can we fix it - he loves tinkering with things and grinning - i've fixed it

this was how he 'fixed' my laptop by prying away one of the keys with a precison screwdriver

i was MAD. i think i shook him. and plenty of don do that again. not the right approach, in retospect

then there was when he got into scissors, and i found he had taken a bill and cut it to pieces

i told him to face the wall. at first he thought it was a game until a shouted, after which he promptly burst into tears

tough love is not always easy
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Sagamite(m): 7:49pm On Aug 17, 2011
oyb:

then there was when he got into scissors, and i found he had taken a bill and cut it to pieces

He cut money? shocked

I will beat the pikin to death. Na garri without sugar be that for us na. angry

Joking o! grin

oyb:

my four year old is a case because half the time, he's executing some hbby while wreaking havoc

perhaps because of bob the builder can we fix it - he loves tinkering with things and grinning - i've fixed it

this was how he 'fixed' my laptop by prying away one of the keys with a precison screwdriver

i was MAD. i think i shook him. and plenty of don do that again. not the right approach, in retospect

i told him to face the wall. at first he thought it was a game until a shouted, after which he promptly burst into tears

tough love is not always easy

Kai! See as people dey oppress me with pikin. "My four year old . . . . ", "My son . . . .", "My daughter . . . ." . I no even get mouth say that kain thing yet. shocked

Ol'boy, you lucky say you know your 4 year old. I am sure I have a few tens of them around UK but I no know them yet. cheesy

That said, that is the apt approach at that age for such offences, not smacking.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by chika98: 8:40pm On Aug 17, 2011
Sagamite:

He cut money? shocked

I will beat the pikin to death. Na garri without sugar be that for us na. angry

Joking o! grin

Kai! See as people dey oppress me with pikin. "My four year old . . . . ", "My son . . . .", "My daughter . . . ." . I no even get mouth say that kain thing yet. shocked

Ol'boy, you lucky say you know your 4 year old. I am sure I have a few tens of them around UK but I no know them yet. cheesy

That said, that is the apt approach at that age for such offences, not smacking.

DEAD! You never change. A few all over UK ke. You had better go and marry. I know two oldie Nlanders that are tying the knot soon. wink
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Sagamite(m): 9:00pm On Aug 17, 2011
chika98:

DEAD! You never change. A few all over UK ke. You had better go and marry. I know two oldie Nlanders that are tying the knot soon. wink

When you read me my charge sheet and prove me guilty in the court of law, I will be a man and take my life imprison sentence as I work down the aisle to the altar to have someone nag me to my grave. cheesy grin
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by chika98: 9:26pm On Aug 17, 2011
Sagamite:

When you read me my charge sheet and prove me guilty in the court of law, I will be a man and take my life imprison sentence as I work down the aisle to the altar to have someone nag me to my grave. cheesy grin

Don't be that guy over forty still trying to chase 25 year olds. It isn't cute. Besides women don't nag. we just say it like it is.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by minute(f): 11:32pm On Aug 17, 2011
Different form of discipline work for different people. It is what

you can tolerate from your child. Just know that because you

may be able to tolerate certain things from your children doesn't

mean others will or ought to. As a form of discipline i feel like

spanking is okay. As long as you understand the difference

between spanking and abuse.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Lovemee(f): 9:03am On Aug 18, 2011
CC, thanks anyway. No hard feelings at all. I just couldnt take it at that time the extent she had gone in lieing.
This is actually the first time I had flogged her real hard. I usually use the dialogue method. But what actually got me angry was that when I insisted that if she tells me she did use it that I wouldnt flog but she didnt. It's not actually that my neighbours rushed and stopped me.
This happened while we were at the basement. The most wonderful part of it is that we made up immediately. I told her the reason for the flogging. not for using the roll on but for the denial. I appreciate you. cheesy
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Lovemee(f): 9:06am On Aug 18, 2011
dayokanu:

Who would now flog you for the part in bold?
DK, u no serious ooo grin na my fast finger. it wont contue or continuous? grin
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Lovemee(f): 9:21am On Aug 18, 2011
Armyofone, tnks, I ll watch out for that.

Sagamite,
there are times when a child tells you lie, u know really it's a lie, u either ignore it once or correct them immediately.  Later on you remind them of that thing they have lied to you about and you caution them on it and to desist from such.  I have two lovely daughters and am praying God gives me the wisdom to continue in training them in the right way.  I am not a tough disciplinarian as such.  However, I use a combination of method in child upbringing. 
The reason for the flogging isn't because of the use of a roll on.  If you tell your child that if she tells you the truth you will spare the rod; and she/he continues to lie even while the rod is in front of her. what will you do at that point in time?
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 10:24am On Aug 18, 2011
Mba nu. I can never flog my daughter or son for using my perfume. Infact he or she is allowed to freely and everly. Even if you buy them theirs they still sneak into your room on their way to school to use yours. I asked mine, why she always came into my room to use mine after using her's? she told me she loves using 2 or 3 at once as it makes it difficult for her friends to tell which one she's using and "copy" her.

The only thing I will never allow her use is my makeup. Na so e dey start. I wanno promote naturalization for as long as I can. grin grin cheesy
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by xkillz(m): 11:14am On Aug 18, 2011
There are no secret formulas, especially since every child is different. But parents must give much thought to their manner of discipline, always showing love and respect for their children.
Discipline carries the thought of CORRECTION and TRAINING—although punishment may come into the picture. “Anyone foolish disrespects the discipline of his father, but anyone regarding reproof is shrewd,says the BIBLE!. A teenager cannot ‘regard reproof’ if it is not given. Of course, when disciplining teenagers, parents need to be balanced. They should avoid being so STRICT that they frustrate their offspring, perhaps even damaging their children’s self-confidence. Yet, parents do not want to be permissive and fail to provide their youngsters with vital training. Permissiveness can be disastrous.

DEPENDING ON THE CIRCUMSTANCE, YOU MAY DECIDE TO SPARE THE ROD! DOESNT MEAN YOU ARE SPOILING THE CHILD, AS THERE ARE EVEN MORE EFFECTIVE WAYS OF REPRIMANDING, THAN FLOGGING!
smiley
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Aug 18, 2011
^^ Okay wink wink
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by nassiwa: 5:00pm On Aug 18, 2011
i don't agree with the rod thing. Talk to the child and let him know what is right. make sure you are clear at your instructions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb / Why Do Divorce Laws Discriminate Against Men? / Nigerian Men In Usa, Killing Their Imported Wives From Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.