Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,390 members, 7,836,567 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? (5757 Views)

Poll: Which Would You Consider Most Appropriate?

Using the Whip: 77% (28 votes)
Sparing the Rod: 22% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Humiliation, A Poor Way Of Rebuking Children/wards/juniors / You're Not A Nigerian If You Didn't Do These Things As A Child / Best Technique For Dealing With A Nagging Wife/Partner? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 12, 2011
'CANE' or 'ROD' only makes d child harden even more!
Speaking 4rm xperience
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 12, 2011
Outstrip:

ELGuapo your parents did well. I can't say spanking is wrong though cause I have spanked my boys. To each their own.

Yeah right though Disciplines like slaps weren't exempted embarassed

dayokanu:

OP,

You should thank me cos me I chopped overdose, I chop my own portion and yours too for cane

Rotflmao! Kpele o broda maybe in our next world we switch lanes grin grin
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Galaxy7: 7:59pm On Aug 12, 2011
It all depend on the stuff the child is made of,if very stubborn child please don't spare your rod before you become a father/mother of kparawo,ole,oshi or what ever
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Aug 12, 2011
^^ Esp Ajegunle Pikin them! grin grin
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Galaxy7: 8:18pm On Aug 12, 2011
Ajegunle, sad sad sad sad
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by eggo: 10:51pm On Aug 12, 2011
i will beat and scold d child, but dey ar some children dat ar so strong headed u think d are out of dis world,
those ones need, anyway God dey sha,, no child would sha bend my head in sorrow tomorow, so pray 4 ur child,
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by cold(m): 11:16pm On Aug 12, 2011
'Pickin wey wan spoil go spoil' na so my people talk am.It doesn't matter whether you take the whip to a child or not.If he/she wants to be responsible he/she will be. (in these gender sensitive days you can't even use 'he' to qualify both sexes.Oma se o) My mum & teachers did not spare the rod but I turned out the way I did eventually on my own volition.like someone alluded earlier; 'to each their own'
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Galaxy7: 12:49am On Aug 13, 2011
A boy i know in my place was beaten by his mother one day,immediately he escaped from his mother's hands ran and stood in a distance and start raining insult on his mother ''O! Jesus Christ of Nazareth and Mary his mother where are you!! this hard heartened woman said that she will kill me but God! don't allow her succeed on her devilish plans.you stinking Animal ,do not try that again else i will tell Daddy'' he concluded. Tell me how on earth to handle a devil personified child of that stuff
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by cold(m): 12:54am On Aug 13, 2011
^^that one na small.My neighbour was urging the child to come into the house & the child replied; 'f* ck off mum' & the mum quietly walked in.These UK children don go haywire.I kept saying to myself 'if na naija this kid go hear am for my hand'. & we wonder why the world has turned on its head
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Galaxy7: 1:03am On Aug 13, 2011
end time children i term them to be
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Galaxy7: 1:06am On Aug 13, 2011
have that type say [2]your days 'll be numbered
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Sagamite(m): 8:41am On Aug 13, 2011
There is no best technique.

Have all your tools at hand and decide which is best at which time to fix the problem.

Understand your child's personality and behavioural reponses to each tool.

There might be a child you never have to beat even once, there might be a child you will need to flog mercilessly.

Never follow the moronic funky liberal philosophy of smacking is "child abuse". If you are unlucky to have a child that needs smacking and you have the philosophy, don't be surprised when the child starts smacking your face.

It is responsible to let your child have a level of fear of you. Don't buy the rubbish the liberals will tell you. The more wayward and uncompromising the child, the higher the level of fear needs to be.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 10:09am On Aug 13, 2011
^^ Talking sense i guess! cheesy
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Aug 13, 2011
Ride on Sagamite. I agree sweetheart,
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nebulae: 12:47pm On Aug 13, 2011
Sagamite:

There is no best technique.

[b]Have all your tools at hand and decide which is best at which time to fix the problem.

Understand your child's personality and behavioural reponses to each tool.

There might be a child you never have to beat even once, there might be a child you will need to flog mercilessly.[/b]Never follow the moronic funky liberal philosophy of smacking is "child abuse". If you are unlucky to have a child that needs smacking and you have the philosophy, don't be surprised when the child starts smacking your face.

It is responsible to let your child have a level of fear of you. Don't buy the rubbish the liberals will tell you. The more wayward and uncompromising the child, the higher the level of fear needs to be.

, , ,

There you have it.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Knight1(m): 10:50pm On Aug 13, 2011
I hope never to cane any off my offspring or any human being at all.
i realise that this is not going to be easy but i believe you have to train your children to be corrected without necessarily flogging them; from there childhood, you can begin to imbibe the process of convincing them to do right by providing superior reasons for whatever action you take and why they should follow it.
i know a family of four children who were never caned yet respects their parents though the dad is late now. so discipline and 'rod' do not have to come hand in hand
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Sagamite(m): 2:08pm On Aug 14, 2011
Knight1:

I hope never to cane any off my offspring or any human being at all.
i realise that this is not going to be easy but i believe you have to train your children to be corrected without necessarily flogging them; from there childhood, you can begin to imbibe the process of convincing them to do right by providing superior reasons for whatever action you take and why they should follow it.
i know a family of four children who were never caned yet respects their parents though the dad is late now. so discipline and 'rod' do not have to come hand in hand

You have some good points in that respect, but empirical observations I have seen is that unsmacked kids tend to have respect for their parents and hardly any or little for anyone else. Smacked kids tend to have respect for people that are not even their parents.

That said, multiple factors might be drivers of these behaviours, some are:

- For one, most kids that I observe that are smacked are from Nigeria and the unsmacked ones are UK/US raised, so culture and environment might play a role.

- The philosophical focus of non-smacking parents is likely to be more nuclear than be extended contacts, so they train the child to focus on the important relationship within nuclear families.

- Fact: A non-smacking parent usually have to expend more effort in training because the approach (talking and reasoning) is more tedious resource-wise (time, rewards) than straight punishment like smacking, hence the parent might only have enough time or resources to get the child to respect them (parents).

- The only person that has enough resources to punish a non-smacked kid is the parent, anyone that is not a parent that is not allowed to smack them has little to none coercive power (resources) to punish the kid, so the kid grows a mentality that they do not matter and only the parents are relevant.

That said, I think it is a disadvantage because kids will have to interact with an outer boundary set of people.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Aug 14, 2011
^^^ Good points. I have this female friend of mine that detests smacking. Her son is as rough and stubborn like no man business. When we visit friends , other kids will be quiet but this one? No way. anywayz I went shopping yesterday with this woman and her son , this boy was running around the plaza, like his mum was running around trying to catch him, when she finally did , she held his hands. Do you know that this little boy tried to break loose from his mother's grip and when he couldn't, he turned to his mother and said. . . . .''let go off my hand mum, I don't like it when you hold my hands, I don't like it.Let go''. . . . And the silly mother let go of his hands immediately and for my mind I was like WTF? Are you kidding me? You must be kidding me?. My own child, tell me that nansense? Na angel go save that pikin that day.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Aug 14, 2011
^^ Lol, Really?! cheesy
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Aug 14, 2011
Really. That boy is a terrorist. I drew him by the ear that day and he was like ''let me go'', I drew it harder and told him that the more he moved the farther away from his body I will draw it, that settled him immediately. Then I told him to in clear words that if he tried running around again, I will pull his pants down for everyone to see and smack his bottom so hard right there in the plaza. After that I told him to say ''I will not run around again'' ten times which he did BTW I still had my fingers on his ear.

I am not negotiating anything with any child of mine. You must go by my rules.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Aug 14, 2011
Am beginning to have this feelings that you've worked in the barracks! grin
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Aug 14, 2011
My sister sent her 8 year old to come on holiday from US, they don't beat the boy, first day this boy played downstairs and scattered my sitting room, came home and went upstairs didn't see d mess till morning. Woke him up to put his toys back, d boy told me "I don't wanna put them back" I asked him who will put them back? He said "you or the maid". I told him I was der when dem born you and the maid is 10 years your senior so you no fit send us. The boy told me to leave him alone, I told him to clean up before I take ma bath. Went downstairs still saw d mess, went out cut cain, after 1 stroke d boy ran for dear life and cleaned up. The boy has been here for a week, he has learnt to wash his own plates, say pls, thank you, no more insults, obeys instructions what he has refused to do for 8years of his life, just 1 stroke of cane. Everyone to his own abeg, ma mama used d cane, I will use it when necessary abeg. My sister can't believe how polite her son is over d phone, I told her nothing is wrong with the boy, wats wrong is d parents who allow der children to craze in the name of liberalism. I no do. 8yr pickin wey dem birn for ma front dey tell me "Gerrout"who born am?
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Sagamite(m): 7:04pm On Aug 14, 2011
jennykadry:

^^^ Good points. I have this female friend of mine that detests smacking. Her son is as rough and stubborn like no man business. When we visit friends , other kids will be quiet but this one? No way. anywayz I went shopping yesterday with this woman and her son , this boy was running around the plaza, like his mum was running around trying to catch him, when she finally did , she held his hands. Do you know that this little boy tried to break loose from his mother's grip and when he couldn't, he turned to his mother and said. . . . .''let go off my hand mum, I don't like it when you hold my hands, I don't like it.Let go''. . . . And the silly mother let go of his hands immediately and for my mind I was like WTF? Are you kidding me? You must be kidding me?. My own child, tell me that nansense? Na angel go save that pikin that day.

I have seen examples of such several times with parents that don't smack their kids.

I have always loved kids because they are cute and adorable, that is the biggest power you women have over me.  cry I could hardly find faults in kids when I was in Nigeria.

When I came to the UK, it became an issue of liking some, not like some so much or just plain hating the guts out of the child. There are kids that just need a smack so bad in the UK. I have seen several situations where some adults are complaining behind a parent's back that they would love to smack a child silly because of the misbehaviour of the kid in public (e.g. hyper-activeness, noise making, repeated rudeness to adults, ignoring subtle guidance to behave from adults at a party or church). I have seen it SEVERAL times in the UK, hardly did I see such growing up in Nigeria. These kids brats struggle to respect their parents, talkless of strangers. I have even seen situations where it gets so bad, some people will smack the kid or threaten the kid when the parent is not there (e.g. the child goes outside).

Parents like these that don't smack their kids and are unfortunate to have unruly kids, on average, will struggle to find people to help (out of goodwill) nanny their brats at short notice once people know the child is trouble. If a child is ill-disciplined and it takes tremendous effort to get them to behave, why will anyone want to help you look after them for free? People will find all excuses under the sun to refuse.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Sagamite(m): 7:07pm On Aug 14, 2011
debrief08:

My sister sent her 8 year old to come on holiday from US, they don't beat the boy, first day this boy played downstairs and scattered my sitting room, came home and went upstairs didn't see d mess till morning. Woke him up to put his toys back, d boy told me "I don't wanna put them back" I asked him who will put them back? He said "you or the maid". . . . . . .

By this point, me, Sagamite, from Sagamu, would have whoozed him at that age.

debrief08:

. . . . . I told him I was der when dem born you and the maid is 10 years your senior so you no fit send us. The boy told me to leave him alone, I told him to clean up before I take ma bath. Went downstairs still saw d mess, went out cut cain, after 1 stroke d boy ran for dear life and cleaned up. The boy has been here for a week, he has learnt to wash his own plates, say pls, thank you, no more insults, obeys instructions what he has refused to do for 8years of his life, just 1 stroke of cane. Everyone to his own abeg, ma mama used d cane, I will use it when necessary abeg. My sister can't believe how polite her son is over d phone, I told her nothing is wrong with the boy, wats wrong is d parents who allow der children to craze in the name of liberalism. I no do. 8yr pickin wey dem birn for ma front dey tell me "Gerrout"who born am?

And some funky, liberal ediots will say I should not smack a kid because they feel it is "cool, urban, modern and progressive"?

One stroke of the cane brought miracles. Some ediots will expect me to expend 15mins talking only to get lower quality outcome/result/response and repeating the talk weeks later when the child does it again (plus adding so-called "time-out"wink and then talk again another few weeks later after the child does it again.

Dem dey craze.

Fooools!
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Aug 14, 2011
:d
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Aug 14, 2011
Lol @ El G.  With the kind of mother I have, I think it's Gene related, I inherited it from her. grin

I love my kids to death but I am not ready to spoil anybody, my chubby daughter came to me one day asking me to apply make up on her face b'cos her friend's mum does the same on her daughter's. I gave her the look and she walked away immediately. After a few hours I went into her room ,sat her down and told her that I don't care what her friend's mum does with daughter but all I know is that she's not allowed to use makeup until she's 18 lol. She asked why? I told her she was So beautiful that even those wearing makeups envied her beauty. See the babe blushing.

@debrief

WTH? that pikin go diee for my hand.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 14, 2011
True sagalicious. BTW the way you analysed deberief's story got me rotflmsgbo.

This terrorist of a boy(the silly one in my previous post) got smacked by me one day.

We were watching osama's death in the news and this boy was screaming, jumping , shotuing all na play. His mum told him to be quiet, for where? The dude just eyed his mum and continued his play. After like 5mins rhe dude was still screaming, I called him and asked him to play and talk quietly so that we can atleast listen to this news. This brat looked at me, put his finger on his lips and told me to ''shuuuushhh''. Cheiii in that instant I saw red, my ears stood at attention. Smoke was coming out of my brain. I stood up, the boy begin run, I pursue am, caught up with him. Dragged him to the sitting room and smacked him 2wice and hard right in the presence of his mother. The dude begin cry, immediately I begin talk to the boy like say e be adult or even dey hear me . . . . . '' How dare you tell me to shuuush, do you know I am old enuff to be your mum?''. . . . .  As I was talking the anger dey rise I almost reached out to slap am if no be say no be my pikin.

What nansense, e'mi? Naim one small churchrat dey tell shussshhhh? one person must die, if you no kill me,I go kill you. You don mara finish.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Sagamite(m): 7:54pm On Aug 14, 2011
jennykadry:

Lol @ El G.  With the kind of mother I have, I think it's Gene related, I inherited it from her. grin

I love my kids to death but I am not ready to spoil anybody, my chubby daughter came to me one day asking me to apply make up on her face b'cos her friend's mum does the same on her daughter's. I gave her the look and she walked away immediately. After a few hours I went into her room ,sat her down and told her that I don't care what her friend's mum does with daughter but all I know is that she's not allowed to use makeup until she's 18 lol. She asked why? I told her she was So beautiful that even those wearing makeups envied her beauty. See the babe blushing.

@debrief

WTH? that pikin go diee for my hand.

Thank you.

Wetin another useless parent dey do no consign me. Na my own rules we go follow for my house.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Aug 14, 2011
LOL Saggy and Jenny, na dat kind correct unexpecteded boarding house early morning suprise flogging. That one wey snrs go use wake you inside cold harmattan. For the boy mind, he don talk him own after all na only "grounding" I fit use punish am, e no know say me no dey do dat level. I waited till he was comfortably back to cozy sleep under cold AC, raised d blanket Twai for him Nyash, na so d boy freeze first, I can pay a million dollors for d shock expression on his face, dazed and realizing me no dey take rubbish I didn't need to repeat myself. Since dat day I have never had to repeat myself on any instruction, he even calls d maid Anty, ma Husband told him " even me dey fear dis woman and am over 30, 8 yrs dey answer her you get liver oh". Excessive use of cane am against I use other punishments but the good old cane always comes tru when all oda methods no serve
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Aug 14, 2011
hahahahahahahahahahaha @ your husband's comment. grin

The pikin get liver no be small. Even @ this age ,my own mother nearly whoze me slap last yr during xmas just for arguing politics with her
grin. I look her ask her question '' you realise I am no longer the little baby you use to whip abi? I've got a home now and my husband is right here ''. She looked at me and my man, turned to me and repeated the same thing I said(trying to imitate me) . . . . . .'' Omo Amerikana, I will beat you and if your husband put mouth na two of una I go beat join''. grin. My man busted out in laugter so tey he fall for ground.

E come be one tiny pikin. E dey crace.
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Aug 14, 2011
Lol Jenny, ma mama don beat one of ma sistas with her daughter. D daughter did something ma mother twisted her mouth ma sista complain, na so ma mama beat 2 of them join, see person dey carry her pickin run 4 40 comot for her own house, laugh wan kill me die
Re: Whats The Best Technique To Use In Rebuking A Child? by Nobody: 1:38am On Aug 15, 2011
@ poster, sparing the rod is best in my opinion. I dont understand physical pain as a deterrent for good behavior. It never worked on me. There are better ways to discipline children.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can You Address Your Husband As "SIR" Or "DADDY"? / My Husband's Father Saw Me Half Dressed In The Bedroom And Still Stayed / How To End Your Child's Habit Of Sucking A Thumb

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.