Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? (25738 Views)

Did You Ever Regret The Choice Of Your Course Of Study? / Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? / Can I Work And Pursue A Degree At The Same Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Ubdavis(m): 11:01pm On Mar 11, 2023
peoplewww:

Sure. But if you go and use 3 million naira and study sociology instead of using it to find something doing in Nigeria, then you need your head examined.

Atimes it's not all about what u studied.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Mercury12(m): 11:02pm On Mar 11, 2023
LordIsaac:
If you give me 1 trillion naira today, the first thing I'd do is enrol for further studies. It's my hobby! grin
so your acquired first degree cant give you 1 trillion naira except someone gives you it to you? undecided
What guarantee do you have that your masters and PhD will gives your such amount of money in this clime undecided
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by bukas15(m): 11:03pm On Mar 11, 2023
Olachase:
I went to a technical college 3 years (Mechanical Engineering) within 3 years I have worked with 5 manufacturing companies as Mechanical Technician, I'm currently taking home 100+ salary, by next year I will enrolled for OND then HND, my boss told me I will be needing those certificates in future time for promotions and salary bargain, I'm not ashamed I want to start my OND at the age of 27
Please which technical college did you go to
Pls nairaland guard me Dos and Dont in polytechnic
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Joeev: 11:03pm On Mar 11, 2023
Tohsynetita1:

Best thing is to go and think of how to make money, if you make money schooling will be easy and not a time wasted one. To me, anything education in Nigeria is over, I can't study anymore in Nigeria, I prefer to gather the money and do a business within some months. After making money, I will then leave. Ave done research on watermelon farming, have got land, got haulage service, got buyers in Lagos, just to plant by November and sell by January, within 3 months, expenses of 150k will make me about 3millions. Watermelon, cucumber, peppers, tomatoes are plants not really planted in South West, Majority plants cassava,maize, yam. The plants above takes time unlike the former plants. All ripe within 3 months, in 3 months, you make your money, No amount you can take to places like Lagos that will be enough for them. Lagos population is about 22million, so, consumption is high there. An acre should give about 3000 fruits of it. If you continue getting degree without using the degree to work or make tangible income, You might be wasting your time unknowingly. Have planted watermelon before, only on a subsistence base.

Bro, pls hwfa ur water melon farming? Can we talk about it?
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by ukaface(f): 11:05pm On Mar 11, 2023
Sometimes I feel I made a serious mistake going to the tertiary institution.
I had my OND degree about 8 years ago after several months of job searching I realised I couldn't get a job with it and the OND is just as useless as ssce I decided to get a better degree I wrote jamb I got admitted to the university 5 years ago to study engineering.
Now in a few months to my graduation (if ASUU call off the strike) I feel I made a great mistake going back to school.
I feel all the efforts, time and money is be wasted.
I feel going back to school was a mirage cus after school will I still go back to the street as usual.
Do you ever regret going to school?
My uncle a verrrrrrry riiiiiiich man, had to go back to the uni to get degree some years back and my mum was asking him what the essence of the degree was, me too sef no go bother if I were in his shoes. He replied ‘ if they are calling people that went to university to raise up hand, I will be among them’ you may not see the importance now because of the situation of Nigeria, but then it’s like an added prospect for you.
You saw the reason to go back to the uni after your OND let that reason keep motivating, after school you might end up being considered for a seat in an office just cos of your certificate. Make person just Dey pray for grace.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by abobote: 11:06pm On Mar 11, 2023
Funny enough I have not collected my result since I graduated in 2015
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Lightway: 11:06pm On Mar 11, 2023
oneolajire:
Regret?

God forbid.

It is just like asking, "do you regret going to primary school?"

It is better to have the degree and of no use for now, than to not have it and need it.
A day is coming, you'll need not just degrees, you'll need masters, PhD, professional certificates etc.

YO're actually stewpid. Do you know that ?
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by remsonik(f): 11:09pm On Mar 11, 2023
Well sometimes and for some reason you might regret it, I do my business and I even have colleagues in the business who are not educated at all, and are making it big. Getting a degree in Nigeria might not work for you at a point but learning more skills and trade will help you grow bigger.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Johnn44: 11:11pm On Mar 11, 2023
Anunakeeh:

100k?

You for say 2Milliongrin

I will keep on saying Some of you on here are not In touch with Reality se. The reason why I don't bother to reply some people.

Even the Hotel Manager fit no see 50k collect sefgrin
What kind of smelly Manager be that? 50k when transport go zap finish for Lagos. Add wife and children mouth to feed. lipsrsealed

How can you compare a whooping humungous 2million to meagre 100k? AS IF 100K NA ONE BIG MONEY undecided undecided

How much is 100k?😏😏😏 A little above $100.
With $1=700naira; or $1=750naira ; 70K salary in 2023 is equivalent to 30k salary in 2015 (est. $1=280naira range)

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by ItisWell22(f): 11:13pm On Mar 11, 2023
Always easier said than it is in real life… 🥱

Tohsynetita1:

Best thing is to go and think of how to make money, if you make money schooling will be easy and not a time wasted one. To me, anything education in Nigeria is over, I can't study anymore in Nigeria, I prefer to gather the money and do a business within some months. After making money, I will then leave. Ave done research on watermelon farming, have got land, got haulage service, got buyers in Lagos, just to plant by November and sell by January, within 3 months, expenses of 150k will make me about 3millions. Watermelon, cucumber, peppers, tomatoes are plants not really planted in South West, Majority plants cassava,maize, yam. The plants above takes time unlike the former plants. All ripe within 3 months, in 3 months, you make your money, No amount you can take to places like Lagos that will be enough for them. Lagos population is about 22million, so, consumption is high there. An acre should give about 3000 fruits of it. If you continue getting degree without using the degree to work or make tangible income, You might be wasting your time unknowingly. Have planted watermelon before, only on a subsistence base.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Donme2: 11:15pm On Mar 11, 2023
I have never regretted of having a degree...
I had OND after 3years I went to direct entry...
Degree is never a waist of time and resources with the advancement in technology...

Plus don't forget to petronize us for flier, logon and also order for ur roofing wood pay on delivery
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Karlifate: 11:18pm On Mar 11, 2023
No regrets. wink

My formal education has connected me to lots of people. cool
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Smartguyboy(m): 11:20pm On Mar 11, 2023
I have my HND since 2018 I am not sure if I will ever use it for anything but I pray I use it .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by APCNig: 11:23pm On Mar 11, 2023
Acidosis:

What else would you have done with your time if you hadn't gone to school? cool

I think the guy is thinking he should have used the period to become a professional IndecentStar.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Allfavours72: 11:23pm On Mar 11, 2023
The site is very fast .Up Ghana. com. The site is nice. Ghanaian also need a platform like NL to generate their own content
Aladdin176: Ghanaians got it right with the idea of a forum

2 Likes

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by elinaxy(m): 11:24pm On Mar 11, 2023
Shebi na the education helep u blow all these grammars. Well wetin u Yan na true sha!
Aladdin1:
My dear let nobody deceive you with nonsense lies. Investing in Education in Nigeria is a scam and a big waste of precious time and resources. As for me i regret investing in education. Its better to learn a skill or trade or go into business. Than wasting time and having several alnights of serious jacking and when you finally acquire the degree. Then the reality would dawn on you. That pursuing education was all a charade,a fallacy and a farfetched pipedream. That culminates in you having a degree certificate that is nothing but a 'tabula rasa'.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by APCNig: 11:24pm On Mar 11, 2023

Chief I had childhood friends who didn't go to the university but they are doing excellently well
I remember a friend of mine during my days in the poly dropped out and went to Italy, today he is doing great also.
I feel the I 8years+ I spent ain't worth it

Without education, the only jobs you can do in Europe is menial jobs which will also get h you money, but will strip you of your dignity

4 Likes

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by ItisWell22(f): 11:26pm On Mar 11, 2023
And coming from poor background limits access to lucrative courses, as well as ability to concentrate and perform well in school… 😒

Anunakeeh:

The thing Is Education is Good and the best Legacy. But in a Nation like Nigeria, You can't really be proud of going to school These Days If you hail from a Poor Background.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Karlifate: 11:26pm On Mar 11, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
It took me....decades to realize the purpose of school is to acquire knowledge in order to make informed decisions and not to carry papers. I am studying for PhD now and I enjoy learning and doing my work...this has also translated to personal life choices, tracking news and trends, analyzing data, picking the right investments and so on...if you don't immerse yourself into the true essence of learning, education will be useless to you.

@ bolded: 👌

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by JohnSamuel35: 11:30pm On Mar 11, 2023
ShangTsung000:
I regret having wasted my 5yrs in school. I can't have a B. Agric tech in animal science and be working as a housekeeper in a hotel. It's so disheartening. Honesty.

I am bilding an intergrated farming system. We started off with chickens and would expand it later in the year to 10,000 - 20,000 chickens. For now, we're handling crops on a large scale. You studied Agric right? Would you like to work on my team? Let me know

Hit me up

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by OceanEye: 11:30pm On Mar 11, 2023
DrBrainstorm:
If you come from a poor background, I think there are some courses you better not study in Nigeria even on a full scholarship. If you are not able to get a professional/lucrative course, you'd be better off acquiring lucrative skills or learning trades, then enroll for a degree after finding your feet if you are still interested in one.

Best of the best advice. I can relate.

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Karlifate: 11:34pm On Mar 11, 2023
Yoighaman:
@OP

If you think going back to school is expensive or a waste of time, you should have tried ignorance.

Don't let anyone deceive you, education is one of the best and most expensive gift you can give to yourself.

Like I'd always say; it is better to have a certificate you don't need, than to need a certificate you don't have.

Complete your education and go out there in faith. God will sort you out.

I know of a woman that once suffered the bolded.

One day, a friend of her's came to her with a Federal Government opportunity, but she didn't have the required credentials, so she just have to forfeit it.

Now, she's doing everything to make her two children go to school & get formal education, come what may.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by peoplewww: 11:35pm On Mar 11, 2023
Ubdavis:

Atimes it's not all about what u studied.

My brother it's about how much you have in your pocket. It's so around the world. It's only in Nigeria that somebody thinks he's a graduate and he or she deserves everything. It's a fallacy. In the advanced world, there's nothing like graduate or no graduate. If you can read and write, you get a great job. CNA in Maryland USA makes $20-25 per hour. It one month of 40hours a week. That's $3,200. Some places you can make $5000 a month. it's enough to live a good life. CNA school is just 2 months I guess. And they are in high demand. Some people work 16 hours per day. They make more. See? Plumber makes $40 per hour. See? While an HR employee makes $18-22 per hour with a bachelor's degree and $40,000 in debt. A truck driver makes $80k a year straight out of high school. You see?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by seunny4lif(m): 11:36pm On Mar 11, 2023
APCNig:

Without education, the only jobs you can do in Europe is menial jobs which will also get h you money, but will strip you of your dignity
Don’t say what you don’t know
Many people are manager in Europe, without degree, what they have was longevity in service, then you move up.
Do you know how much Securities, Mechanics, Plumbers, cab drivers and Truck drivers made per hour.

Construction workers earn more than many project managers and engineers in same field.

Don’t say what you don’t know
6 months training in IT sector will get you to the top.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Karlifate: 11:36pm On Mar 11, 2023
Mko123:

You wrote certain for engineering.
Why are you selective?
Pls do tell me important engineering courses

haybi1 is right.

Not all Engineering discipline are as lucrative as before.

Just do your due diligence before jumping in "Engineering", mae you no go jam kasala cheesy
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Karlifate: 11:40pm On Mar 11, 2023
royalfly:

I regret marrying the woman I married

Except it's a forced arranged marriage, you're the one to take responsibility for your regret.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by royalfly(m): 11:47pm On Mar 11, 2023
Karlifate:

Except it's a forced arranged marriage, you're the one to take responsibility for your regret.

Very well. I am totally responsible hence my regret. Someday I will be free

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by MVLOX(m): 11:48pm On Mar 11, 2023
Yes and No.. Yes because I had the opportunity of getting Degree in a better course that would have given me more exposure and financial stability over the years but greed made me choose something else and that's why I regret it

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by yusluvad(m): 11:48pm On Mar 11, 2023
christejames:
Even though I'm not currently using the certificate I acquired to work (resigned* last year), I'm still grateful I had the certificate...

Going to tertiary institutions should not be solely for the aim of the certificate or the financial benefits the certificate can be used for but the knowledge gained which should be very vital for the society. Schools should refine you to become a better version of yourself smiley

Fact!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

University Of Ilorin 2015/2016 Admission Thread / Unilag Freshers Seen Climbing Wall To Undergo Their Mandatory Drug Test. / Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.